Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Front - Main
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Rob Gage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Midge View Post

I have no idea how this works in SafeSport, but many years ago, I watched a man and a woman together in a situation that made me uncomfortable watching it. He was, to me, clearly taking opportunities to touch her when touching was not warranted. Multiple times. I will say that she did not appear threatened, just a bit uncomfortable. I spoke to his boss later who said, 'I'm not sure what I should do with this information.' I said, 'maybe nothing now, but if something comes up in the future, there will be some context.'

Granted, my answers would be different now, but perhaps this is the thought process behind the anonymous reports.
    It looks like he petitioned to be removed in 2011 and again is 2015 to get himself off the list. I can PM you the screen shots. They don’t want to upload for some reason.

http://www.sexoffendersarchive.com/offender/view/353659
    Last edited by GPjumper; Jun. 18, 2019, 08:24 PM. Reason: added links

Comment

• Originally posted by GPjumper View Post

It looks like he petitioned to be removed in 2011 and again is 2015 to get himself off the list. I can PM you the screen shots. They don’t want to upload for some reason.
      Hey - is that about Tom Navarro in Aldie? You replied to Midge - but I think it’s about the VA Sex Offender Registry blank spot on Navarro.

If I am correct, and this relates to Navarro, then yes, please do PM. I have lots of friends with kids who are in that area, and actually have known 2 different very nice young ladies who have ridden with George Mason over the last 10 years. This whole thing is unsettling from that angle is particular to me to think about personally... both were really sweet young adults.

Comment

• Originally posted by Virginia Horse Mom View Post

Hey - is that about Tom Navarro in Aldie? You replied to Midge - but I think it’s about the VA Sex Offender Registry blank spot on Navarro.

If I am correct, and this relates to Navarro, then yes, please do PM. I have lots of friends with kids who are in that area, and actually have known 2 different very nice young ladies who have ridden with George Mason over the last 10 years. This whole thing is unsettling from that angle is particular to me to think about personally... both were really sweet young adults.
        Yes it is. I will Pm you screen shots of his petitions and removal. Nevermind: I realied I can add links
        https://www.juralindex.com/civil/nav...e4ef3ea13.html
        https://www.juralindex.com/civil/nav...f4fbaa04d.html

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy View Post

Probably because a) it's pending appeal and b) because his business is non-rated shows and there's not much USEF can do about that, or about the lessons, for that matter. His past record has been an open secret for years. But you're right - I would certainly NEVER let a child of mine take lessons there, but some people apparently can't read or maybe they believe his rationale, which is basically "b***h set me up".
          Since you seem to have local knowledge as well... just curious if you have any idea if anyone with GMU is aware of his record? I know of two nice young people who were involved with that team over the last several years. I never had heard his name before though. I thought there was a female coach doing shows with their program as of two years ago... can’t remember the name a friend told me though.

Another thing... he is not coming up in the VA Sex Offender registry database for me. I found the conviction of 3rd degree sodomy from 10 years ago elsewhere online. Can’t quite connect that to current Virginia statutes though.

The whole thing is quite unsettling. Ugggh.

Comment

• Originally posted by BITSA View Post

Keep it simple--where did you dind that the parties got discovery and the ability to confront and cross examine? As far as I could tell in reading through the SS rules, there's no meaningful discovery and no right to confront witnesses.
            I did not find it, I experienced it.

Safesport Supplemental Rules for Arbitration https://safesport.org/policies-procedures

R-27. Hearing
            d. Examining witnesses (1) The Responding Party and Reporting Party shall be subject to questioning by only the arbitrator unless the Responding Party or Reporting Party agrees to direct examination and cross-examination by the opposing party.

As far as discovery, if one side has documentation which provides information and they have it listed as evidence, they provide it to the other party prior to the hearing.

Comment

Since you seem to have local knowledge as well... just curious if you have any idea if anyone with GMU is aware of his record? I know of two nice young people who were involved with that team over the last several years. I never had heard his name before though. I thought there was a female coach doing shows with their program as of two years ago... can’t remember the name a friend told me though.

Another thing... he is not coming up in the VA Sex Offender registry database for me. I found the conviction of 3rd degree sodomy from 10 years ago elsewhere online. Can’t quite connect that to current Virginia statutes though.

The whole thing is quite unsettling. Ugggh.
              It’s not coming up because he petitioned to have himself removed from the registry and has been removed.

Comment

Yes it is. I will Pm you screen shots of his petitions and removal. Nevermind: I realied I can add links
                https://www.juralindex.com/civil/nav...e4ef3ea13.html
                https://www.juralindex.com/civil/nav...f4fbaa04d.html
                Wow - thanks for the info. That certainly explains the thriving lesson business, especially if it’s people going to unrated shows with parents who don’t know enough to do a check on Safe Sport.

Does removal from the registry mean his conviction was overturned or reduced?

Comment

It’s not coming up because he petitioned to have himself removed from the registry and has been removed.
                  Thanks for the screenshots and explaining.

So next question then... was his conviction actually overturned? Or was he just removed from the list? And I am curious if he automatically got put on the Safe Sport banned list because he was on the registry... or if there is more to it than that.

Sorry to badger you, but the whole Safe Sport discussion just went from California right into my neck of the woods. So no more throwing stones at California for me... uggh.

Comment

Thanks for the screenshots and explaining.

So next question then... was his conviction actually overturned? Or was he just removed from the list? And I am curious if he automatically got put on the Safe Sport banned list because he was on the registry... or if there is more to it than that.

Sorry to badger you, but the whole Safe Sport discussion just went from California right into my neck of the woods. So no more throwing stones at California for me... uggh.
                    I think he was just removed from the list but the conviction still stands. According to safesport, he was banned because of the sodomy conviction and being convicted of a criminal act.

there is also someone in warrenton with a permanent ban.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peggy View Post
                      I had a Facebook exchange with someone whose daughter had ridden with John Lipari for several years, though they’d moved on by then. She was 100% aware of his record and said he’d even told them about it but that it was no big deal. People were joking on the thread that he couldn’t run fast enough to catch a young girl anymore. #wheresthefruitbat.

Kristin Medal has an interesting and worthwhile public post on her Facebook. At least IMHO. She rode in that era and says she knows several of the victims.
                      Kristin’s post on FB is the only intelligent thing I’ve seen on FB this past week. New respect for her.

She made valid, clear points. No victim blaming. Poked a hole in how entitled horse people really are.
                      https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

Comment

• I just want to come back to the fact that it fills me with sorrow that so many people are hurting, that I'm still shocked and saddened that Rob took his life. I did not know him but my close contacts knew him well, and I know many people genuinely liked the man they knew. No question he was a talented, interesting horseman.

I just don't think it says anything about SafeSport. Or if anything, seeing all the backlash, it tells me how much we need an entity like SafeSport as a third party where victims can report and where dots can be connected and where young professionals can get objective training in appropriate, ethical conduct with their students, clients, and employees so that we don't have these tragedies in the future.
                        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

• Originally posted by streamline View Post

Kristin’s post on FB is the only intelligent thing I’ve seen on FB this past week. New respect for her.

She made valid, clear points. No victim blaming. Poked a hole in how entitled horse people really are.
                          No kidding. And yet, there are people still arguing with her.
                          You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

I think he was just removed from the list but the conviction still stands. According to safesport, he was banned because of the sodomy conviction and being convicted of a criminal act.

there is also someone in warrenton with a permanent ban.
                            Well a little more research has revealed that Virginia had some very odd and antiquated sodomy laws that were finally overturned in 2014, because even in supposedly modern times like 2012 and 2013, the weird sodomy laws on the books in the state of Virginia were used to secure felony convictions regarding consensual sexual activity that took place between two adults.

So it’s actually a bit curious that this guy got removed from the sexual offender registry as of 2015. And the only sodomy law now that someone can be charged with in the state of Virginia is forcible sodomy. So I do wonder what this guy’s actual case involved... because it seems like he very possibly could have gotten caught in a rather odd legal situation.

His Safe Sport ban is still subject to an appeal. If he does appeal and it’s overturned... I wonder if he is allowed under Safe Sport rules to speak about his whole process?

So many questions. And I really don’t want to research sodomy in the state of Virginia because the whole thing makes me uncomfortable.

I know nothing of the program over at that barn. Except that people I do know locally who are MUCH closer to the Hunter Jumper community in NoVa, and who are connected to great programs locally have never recommended that program. But there are a few other great options in Aldie.

As for the other name on the list from Warrenton... I have heard that name before. But got some reason thought he had moved on and was a farrier now or something. Which I guess goes to show that people can figure out a career as a working horse professional regardless of all the Safe Sport bans...

Comment

Well a little more research has revealed that Virginia had some very odd and antiquated sodomy laws that were finally overturned in 2014, because even in supposedly modern times like 2012 and 2013, the weird sodomy laws on the books in the state of Virginia were used to secure felony convictions regarding consensual sexual activity that took place between two adults.

So it’s actually a bit curious that this guy got removed from the sexual offender registry as of 2015. And the only sodomy law now that someone can be charged with in the state of Virginia is forcible sodomy. So I do wonder what this guy’s actual case involved... because it seems like he very possibly could have gotten caught in a rather odd legal situation.

His Safe Sport ban is still subject to an appeal. If he does appeal and it’s overturned... I wonder if he is allowed under Safe Sport rules to speak about his whole process?

So many questions. And I really don’t want to research sodomy in the state of Virginia because the whole thing makes me uncomfortable.

I know nothing of the program over at that barn. Except that people I do know locally who are MUCH closer to the Hunter Jumper community in NoVa, and who are connected to great programs locally have never recommended that program. But there are a few other great options in Aldie.

As for the other name on the list from Warrenton... I have heard that name before. But got some reason thought he had moved on and was a farrier now or something. Which I guess goes to show that people can figure out a career as a working horse professional regardless of all the Safe Sport bans...
                              He wasn’t convicted in VA. He was convicted in Ny so we’d have to check those laws.

It was 3rd degree sodomy.

Comment

• Originally posted by streamline View Post

Are you able to post a link? I searched her name on FB, but was unable to find the name/corresponding post. Thanks!
                                "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

• Originally posted by seabreeze View Post

Are you able to post a link? I searched her name on FB, but was unable to find the name/corresponding post. Thanks!
                                  Here you go. Very thoughtful post.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1592221552

Comment

He wasn’t convicted in VA. He was convicted in Ny so we’d have to check those laws.

It was 3rd degree sodomy.
                                    Thanks for clarifying that... so much for the possible weird loophole theory.

So this indicates he was 30 years old at the time of his conviction, and the listed offense on the Safe Sport site indicates it was something involving a minor, and the New York Statutes for that crime would align with the notion that it was activity with a person under 17 when he was 30. Which regardless of what some folks seem to think is just something I am NOT inclined to give any sort of leeway too.

So that’s that. I guess he’s found some way to get himself removed from the Virginia Registry - who knows - but is still on Safe Sport (pending appeal).

So this actually now looks like a rather interesting case supporting the notion that Safe Sport and it’s lists are a necessary thing serving an important function. It keeps people who have convictions in other states under slightly different laws from figuring out a way to get themselves removed from their current state’s Sex Offender Registry... and then setting up a coaching program with local clients none the wiser.

Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by MHM View Post

Here you go. Very thoughtful post.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1592221552
                                      Finally. I am so dismayed by the victim blaming, by people who don't understand why children might not tell an adult that they were abused, why they may not know everything about their coach, their friend, their relative. Heck, I recently found out that my SIL embezzled a crapload of money from her previous employer, a man she considered a dear friend. You just don't know.

Riding should be like other sports that are instituting two-level leadership. That means two adults around at all times. No exceptions. This approach works. It protects children and coaches. It's a PIA at times, but it's a lot less traumatic than a child dealing with abuse, or a coach dealing with allegations.
                                      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Texarkana that’s what I’m having trouble wrapping my brain around. There is one in NoVa where the head trainer has a criminal record of misconduct against minors (which is how he got the life time ban). He has a full barn and a thriving lesson business. (With juniors) I’m wondering if people and parents don’t check the sex offender sites or USEF website....it’s super strange.
                                        I went to work at a local barn a while back and of course did a search online about the trainer and the barn. Nothing out of the ordinary popped up. Later on after I was no longer there I found out about the unsavory parts... things that parents really should be able to google and know about.
                                        I think there is still a big disconnect between the courts and the online world.

Comment

• My expectation of how the SS investigation should work based on a report of an inappropriate interaction with a minor from XX years ago - is there something about the report, a recent report, or a reasonable expectation that it could still be occurring now? Yes = immediate suspension during the investigation No = further investigation first. I would like to think that SS is not just suspending people based on one specific report that the person had an individual occurrence, but that something in the report leads them to believe that the person could pose a danger (physical/emotional) to minors now.
                                          There are a lot of questions posed about victims from years ago and their “motives” - maybe when they have finally been able to come to terms with what happened to them, they’re just looking to make sure it doesn’t happen to another person. I’d expect they’re struggling with the knowledge that it quite possibly already did...
                                          "The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                          X