Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_1001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Rob Gage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MyssMyst View Post
    So... At the risk of fanning the flames... Kathy Serio's post on FB. That's the scenario people are scared of. Did this actually happen, or is some backstory here?

As far as other disciplines taking exception to Safesport? I've seen it in the breeds quite a bit. While Safesport isn't the driving motivator, several breeds are looking at leaving USEF
    My reaction to the Kathy Serio post (which is so long and emotionally charged that its hard to get through) is that SafeSport did its job. Her husband was accused, they followed the procedure, SafeSport released him from the list.

As for the extreme hardships she is claiming, I get it... to a degree. I recognize there is certainly an element of "unfairness" for the innocent. I can empathize about how awful the experience must have been. Yet you are not going to convince me their life was ruined because of this, especially not when victims of sexual misconduct are literally having their lives ruined by a predator's actions.

In my job (education), there are about a million and one ways I could be suspended without pay while an investigation is conducted. Thanks to deunionizing, I likely wouldn't even get an arbitration process. I'd get to sit there helpless while people without investigative training decide the fate of my career. And, I'd probably be on the news. But you know what? I still can understand that it needs to be done for the safety of the kids. So sorry, you're not going to convince me that the use of interim suspension pending investigation is unfair or unreasonable.

Traditional methods of handling sexual misconduct, like reliance on law enforcement and criminal convictions, DO NOT WORK. Measures like "due process" and "beyond a reasonable doubt" have set predators free to prey on others.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

• Originally posted by Peggy View Post

I didn’t get an email, but is this it?
      https://www.usef.org/media/press-rel...port-statement
      Yes, that is what was emailed to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshAir View Post
        I would love to see the 2000+ people who signed the Change.org petition saying they were leaving. It is nice when people self identify as supporters of child abusers and/or trainers who sleep with their students. What a great advertisement for their business or personal reputations! It would be a thorough clean up of the industry by November 2019. Great!!
        Here’s a link. You can see which people have signed publicly and read comments. Kind of an eye opener.
        https://www.change.org/p/murray-kess...rt-allegations

Theres also a GoFundMe but that is directed partially at helping his girlfriend (and partially on clearing his name) so there could be people on that who are trying to be good friends by supporting her. But some of the comments on that are interesting.
        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

• At my kids school, all teachers & staff & any parent that volunteers on or off school property as to have a background check & get fingerprinted. I’ve never heard a complaint from anyone, as all parents realize it’s for the safety of all the children.
          I wonder if SS will require that all Usef members that are listed as professionals, get background checks & fingerprinted.
          what an uproar that would cause.
          I wished Usef had a simple database that parents could check out Usef professionals & see if they ever had Usef sanctions against them, and see that background checks have been done.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeHoney View Post

The job of Safe Sport is to uphold the Safe Sport code of conduct within sports organizations via reporting, investigation, hearings, and disciplinary action. It is NOT the job of Safe Sport to make public the information collected through those investigations. The fact that this information is not furnished to the public gives a perpetrator (or their lawyer, or their friends) the opportunity to wage a one-sided social media campaign that may completely misrepresent the allegations, the evidence, the number of complainants, the time frame, and in particular--the Safe Sport process.
            It is certainly true this has been a disaster and allows a social media trial from both sides that is completely lacking a way for outsiders to figure out what on earth is going on. Which, I think, is why many people are calling for more transparency or else keeping the allegations out of the public until they are in a position to reveal SS’s conclusions. Something like a non public ban temporarily?

I have cliniced with Rob before and was signed up to ride in a clinic with him next weekend (a birthday present from my husband). This whole thing has been a huge shock and difficult to process how to be fair to everyone especially victims, to be sensitive while wondering how to balance what we are hearing with our experiences.

Packy McGaughan’s COTH article is an eventer perspective and has apparently been in research for months. It is sadly timely.

I am so so sorry for the victims of any sexual assault. I too am an underage victim at a horse show but I don’t even know the names of my attackers. I still don’t walk around dark places without a knife on me.

Comment

• Originally posted by skydy View Post
              USEF has sent an email to members addressing the current social media disaster.
              I don't seem to have gotten this email... but I've noticed before that they send them in waves and I am not always in the same wave as others I know. What does it say (or is it too long to cut and paste)?
              ~Veronica
              "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
              http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

• N/M I see someone else linked it
                ~Veronica
                "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

• Originally posted by AllOverFarm View Post
                  At my kids school, all teachers & staff & any parent that volunteers on or off school property as to have a background check & get fingerprinted. I’ve never heard a complaint from anyone, as all parents realize it’s for the safety of all the children.
                  I wonder if SS will require that all Usef members that are listed as professionals, get background checks & fingerprinted.
                  Licensed officials with USEF have been required to have background checks and safe sport training for several years now. Probably 6-8 years? No fingerprints yet.

Comment

• Reading thru the fb posts, I’ve seen so many people saying it’s a she said /he said situation ....because there is no proof. How do they know there is no proof??? Perhaps there is... maybe an old letter/note. Some old pictures, who knows... but, SS investigates & they have let others off the hook. If Rob wasn’t let off the hook as others, I’m assuming they had a good reason.

Comment

• The ignorance regarding SafeSport procedures shown by the posters on that petition is astounding. I read only a few and got the gist. I also got the impression that many of the people were not members of USEF.

Again, it seems as though many people have not even bothered to read the SafeSport policies and procedures.

If I was better at organization I would propose a petition in support of SafeSport in the hope that USEF would be aware that not everyone is against the program. It is a program that , like any other, can be fine tuned if problems come to light.

Rob Gage's ban is certainly not the hill to stand on to make your case that a ban was unfair.

Comment

• Anyone who signs that petition should be prevented from ever working with minors again and anyone who sends their kids to train with any of those people better be 100% aware that if someone the trainer knows does something to your kid and your kid confides in the trainer and not you, the trainer isn't going to believe them and is going to shame them out of telling you. Good times people.

Any chance the "Melinda Gates" who signed is the Melinda Gates? If so I'm super disappointed in her.

Comment

• bauhaus Very well said, and that is why I was so shocked by the overwhelmingly negative and cruel sentiments on the FB comments pages. There will always be predators, in all walks of life, but the degree to which it is apparently excused and normalized by the some of the people posting with influence in the industry (even if they don't do anything criminal themselves) was horrible to read. And also an indication of why women didn't feel comfortable to report what happened to them for so long, even to other women.
                          Check out my latest novel, Pride, Prejudice, and Personal Statements!

Comment

• This whole thing somewhat blows my mind. The last year or two has become the time when many victims came forward about many well known people. The futures of the accused were decided by corporate executives, boards of non profits, the Catholic Church, congress and a host of other ways. A few even made it to a courtroom. They were also plastered all over the news media and social media. Were all of these signers having the same response then - innocent until proven guilty in court? Or were they supporting the victims who finally felt they could step up? Taking Me Too to heart?
                            I am completely taken aback at the comments on the petition and other places. I dont know if the SafeSport process is perfect (probably not) but at least it is a process. SafeSport has said that the permanent suspension or whatever its called is only used in the most egregious cases, so I have to believe that they had enough evidence to support the decision.
                            Last edited by 2tempe; Jun. 17, 2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• So people have now gone on the Anne Kursinski Riding and Jumping Mentor Facebook page to vent and give her negative reviews.

I’m not going to repeat the hatefulness... its awful.

I hope USEF and Safe Sport are actually serious about it when they say that retaliation and harassment of victims will not be tolerated. AK was a victim... This behavior by people is utterly mind boggling...

Comment

• Originally posted by Virginia Horse Mom View Post
                                So people have now gone on the Anne Kursinski Riding and Jumping Mentor Facebook page to vent and give her negative reviews.

I’m not going to repeat the hatefulness... its awful.

I hope USEF and Safe Sport are actually serious about it when they say that retaliation and harassment of victims will not be tolerated. AK was a victim... This behavior by people is utterly mind boggling...

What the heck????? Do these people realize that in their outrageous and sorrow over their friend’s suicide, they are doing absolutely nothing positive in memory????

Comment

• Originally posted by NCRider View Post
                                  Anyone who signs that petition should be prevented from ever working with minors again and anyone who sends their kids to train with any of those people better be 100% aware that if someone the trainer knows does something to your kid and your kid confides in the trainer and not you, the trainer isn't going to believe them and is going to shame them out of telling you. Good times people.

Any chance the "Melinda Gates" who signed is the Melinda Gates? If so I'm super disappointed in her.
                                  I hope that’s someone being stupid and signing with her name. That does not seem like a comment she would ever make publicly.
                                  Talking to some people is like folding a fitted sheet.

Comment

• Some posters are here arguing things they read from Facebook comments, keep that in mind. FYI if you read something in Facebook and even worse, in a random comment section please know that’s not a fact whatsoever. Hard to believe someone would be so ignorant to read those and come here saying they know the details.

anyways..... everyone complaining that SafeSort isn’t transparent. That you don’t know the process. Let me ask you, do you know the process in the legal justice system? Do you actually truly know, what the due process is of making an accusation to the police and what happens between that and the final piece of someone being convicted or acquitted? I seriously doubt the general public who doesn’t work in criminal law does. Yet for some reason you feel entitled to know the details of the entire process of Safe Sport. Think about it.

If you think it’s as simple as accusation- gather evidence - arrest - go to trial, you are seriously mistaken.

Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• One of RG’s ardent supporters and one of the people that wrote letters in his support for the appeal is married to someone who was abused by John Lipari.

Article that talks about John Lipari and mentions the person.
                                      https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...708-story.html

#mindboggling.
                                      The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

• The petition is so stupid. USEF has no choice but to implement Safe Sport. If people want to petition something, send one to Congress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
                                          Some posters are here arguing things they read from Facebook comments, keep that in mind. FYI if you read something in Facebook and even worse, in a random comment section please know that’s not a fact whatsoever. Hard to believe someone would be so ignorant to read those and come here saying they know the details.
                                          I give you exhibit A:

Emily Crow
                                          1 day ago
                                          The USEF Safesport should be educating members on medications and the welfare of horses. Other authorities are in place for people who suffer abuse. This should be pursued legally through state or federal legislation.
                                          You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Working...
                                          X