Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_0200
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

What is it called?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it called?

I remember reading on here several weeks ago about a term used to describe riding instructors/trainers that never progress their students. Like they are stuck at the same level for years without ever moving up. I think it was brought up in a discussion about people that rely on lesson horses and don't have their own horse and being stuck at 2'6 forever.
    I know it's stupid but now it's really bothering me that I can't remember.

Plateau?

Comment

• Original Poster

No not that. It's the intent to keep students at a certain level either for money or selfishness.

Comment

Originally posted by Equestrianette View Post
        I remember reading on here several weeks ago about a term used to describe riding instructors/trainers that never progress their students. Like they are stuck at the same level for years without ever moving up. I think it was brought up in a discussion about people that rely on lesson horses and don't have their own horse and being stuck at 2'6 forever.
        I know it's stupid but now it's really bothering me that I can't remember.
        You want to remember a term that describes "instructors/trainers that never progress their students"?
        Why?

Comment

• Original Poster

That's neither here nor there. I just forgot the term and it's bothering me. So after using the search function and not finding it, I'm asking. Thanks.

Comment

No not that. It's the intent to keep students at a certain level either for money or selfishness.
            Never mind. I remember that you started a thread and then deleted your angry posts,when the advice given was not what you wanted to hear (though some were quoted and can be seen).

There are plenty of reasons that instructors don't allow their students to advance. Safety being the first.

Comment

• Original Poster

How is that even relevant? If you don't know that answer to what I'm talking about then don't respond. This literally 100% has nothing to do with anything and if you could stop trying to make it into something its not that'd be great.

Comment

Hmmmmmm

Comment

How is that even relevant? If you don't know that answer to what I'm talking about then don't respond. This literally 100% has nothing to do with anything and if you could stop trying to make it into something its not that'd be great.
                  https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f...trolling-speed

Comment

• Original Poster

Not relevant at all. Please move along as you only seem to want to start drama for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Comment

Not relevant at all. Please move along as you only seem to want to start drama for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Comment

I have been around the block more times than I would like to admit and I have never heard of this as a thing or heard of a term for it.

Where did you hear this term? That might help people get you the answer you want.

Curious, how does keeping them at a certain level make them more money? How is it selfish?
                        I see far more trainers who push kids faster than they should so they can move up a division, to make more money and be able to boast that they have kids doing XYZ division.

Comment

• Original Poster

I think I heard it on this forum or on HGS. It's probably not a well known term which is why I never heard of it before. However this does come up on several threads here about how to choose a barn or riding instructor. A red flag being that riders are doing the same level year after year without progress. Anyways, there's nothing to this thread I was just trying to remember a term that obviously doesn't exist. I remember you from HGS, you were one of my favorites from several years ago.

Comment

I think I heard it on this forum or on HGS. It's probably not a well known term which is why I never heard of it before. However this does come up on several threads here about how to choose a barn or riding instructor. A red flag being that riders are doing the same level year after year without progress. Anyways, there's nothing to this thread I was just trying to remember a term that obviously doesn't exist.
                            I think people are saying, when it comes up in another thread, that staying at the same level year after year is because the trainer is not capable of helping people move forward, not so much that they are keeping them there on purpose. That they do not have enough tools in their tool box to actually teach them to advance.

If you figure out the term, come back and let us know.

Comment

There are several riding schools in my area that might fit this description; but the reason is simple: they are managing their school horse's long term soundness, so nobody on a schoolie, leased or otherwise, competes above 2'6". If you want to do more, you probably are looking at buying your own horse or moving to a barn that competes at a higher level.

There is nothing wrong with a trainer/barn/riding school deciding their niche is local shows up to 2'6". It can be a smart business decision, because the market is broader and you avoid all the overnight travel.

There is also nothing wrong with an instructor knowing their limitations and feeling that is the level they are most qualified to teach.

What *might* be a legit complaint is one of these businesses trying to hang on to a student who wants to do more rather than referring them to someone else who competes at a higher level, but then you have to ask: are they really trying to hold on to the client in an unethical manner, or do they have legitimate concerns about the student's level or experience and safety? Might be an eye of the beholder situation.
                              The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

• Original Poster

Too bad there is no urban dictionary for equestrians. Honestly I’ve read so many threads, articles, Facebook posts, etc I will probably never figure it out! Not knowing a word is a pet peeve of mine. Carry on!

Comment

I don't think this is unique to riding so you may find it mentioned other places

Comment

I actually had a trainer that I loved do this to me. It was very subtle, but she made me feel incredibly selfish and guilty for thinking about moving my horse up to 3'6". We were completely prepared (due to her training) but I think she knew she would probably end up losing me as a client and I was her big deal client, so she basically said my beloved horse would break down faster at 3'6". In hindsight-there was no evidence this would happen. She was a hardy TB, very sound and lovely and we certainly did not campaign like folks do these days. Oh well, doesn't matter now but these things do happen and I'm sure there is a word for it.

As a totally irrelevant aside- I'm learning all kinds of new words that perfectly describe certain specific situations-like "plot armor(thanks GoT), fridging(loss of a character ((usually female)) to motivate a main character((usually male)), and gatekeeping. Maybe OP should just make up the word and I can add it to my growing list!!
                                    Last edited by Victorious; May. 14, 2019, 11:12 AM. Reason: wrong word!

Comment

Ya I do not think there is one word that specifically describes this AND is unique to equestrian trainers.

Comment

I love the term "evergreen" for that horse we all know that still acts like a three year old into their third decade.

I've also heard "re-green" or "recycled green" for a horse that came out at green but didn't actually break their green and comes out again the next year.

The definition of an amateur is often described as the three Fs: Forty, fat and fearful.

Then there's "shamateur" for professionals competing as amateurs.

I know of a very talented local pro who says he only knows how to do one thing - 8 spots and 2 changes at 3'. But he's built a career on that, so who's to criticize?

But I don't think I've ever heard a term for a limited in scope professional.
                                        The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

Working...
                                        X