Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

BHCH10
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

I'm Sorry... I Need an N name desperately!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Sorry... I Need an N name desperately!

I am in desperate search of N names for a filly. N names are hard! I would really like to call her Nyx, but I feel like that's not enough for a registered name. Nyx was the Greek goddess of night, so sticking with that theme would be cool but not required.

Thank you to anyone who is willing to help end my suffering

Nyxian
    Noxian or Noxus (Nox was Nyx's Roman equivalent)

Maybe combine Nyx with an adjective or other name, such as
    Nyx Bella

How many letters do you need?
    "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Nyx was a primordial goddess, meaning she preceded the Titans and Olympians. She, along with Erebus created light, day, sleep, death, the Fates, strife and pain. She was greatly feared lol

She isn't the personification of evil in Greek mythology but is often associated with less than ideal situations. Personally, I would be hesitant to use that name in naming a horse, I am not superstitious but that's bad JUJU..

If you're bent on using Nyx, I would go for something like Nyx's Hemera, Hemera is one of her children, who is the goddess of light, or Aether (Aither) who represents day, also one of her children.
      Last edited by WildGooseChase; May. 8, 2019, 01:59 PM. Reason: typo
      I’d rather ride on a Mustang, than in one.

BaileyAnn Neal

Comment

Nyx Noctu means "Nyx at Night" in latin...

Comment

I've said this before, but be ready for odd names - like Nyx - to get mangled by announcers.
          Even the longer versions suggested by WildGooseChase can be subject to mispronounciation.

I showed with a junior who showed her gelding as Sophocles.
          Said announcer: Sop Hockles.

Just sayin'...

You're safer using the more recognizable "Night", or some variation, but YMMV
          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I think if you're choosing a name, you have to think about how it will sound being announced at a show - "nix" or "noxus" don't conjure the best mental images - like your horse has been nixed from the class. (Also, Noxus sounds really similar to "noxious").

How about:
            Nadia
            Nightingale
            Nairobi
            Naomi
            Nantucket
            Natalia
            Night Watch
            Neptune
            Neoclassical
            Nottingham

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
              I've said this before, but be ready for odd names - like Nyx - to get mangled by announcers.
              Even the longer versions suggested by WildGooseChase can be subject to mispronounciation.

Just sayin'...

You're safer using the more recognizable "Night", or some variation, but YMMV
              I'm used to this at this point lol. My other horse I show as Quixotic (Quix-otic, Exotic with a Qu in front lol) and it gets mispronounced all the time! Most often similar to Don Quixote so it comes out like Kee-O-Tic.

Comment

What does the filly look like? Parent names?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by IPEsq View Post
                  What does the filly look like? Parent names?
                  Filly is Bay with a wide star, strip, wide snip face and hind socks. Parents are Nirvana (Novalis x Pik Kasso mare) and Viva (Vulcaan x Fogerty mare)

Comment

[QUOTE=2DogsFarm;n10390120

Just sayin'...

[/QUOTE]

That's too funny. Sop Hockles. Now there's a name!

My Appy/Trak cross is Chico de Mayo. Yes, Chico. No one has ever announced it properly. Everyone just assumes it is Cinco de Mayo.
                    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
                    - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Nymeria!

Comment

Neptunalia

North Star
                        ​​​​​​​

Comment

From her parents: Novena. I'm thinking of the N requirement and the sound of Viva, her dam.

Here's what it means:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/novena
                          The armchair saddler
                          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Narnia
                            Nutella
                            Nymphadora

Comment

Noctis Filia (Night's daughter in Latin. Strictly speaking it should be 'filia noctis but it's flexible on word order.)
                              Nychta (rough Latin alphabet version of "night" in Greek. "Nyxta" as the letter in Greek is ch/x/k at times and got borrowed into Cyrillic as a sort of ch/ks sound.)
                              Author Page
                              Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                              Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Nuance

Comment

Nirvivad - Hindi for “Indisputable”

Comment

Nirivia

https://northernwilds.com/lake-super...ic-of-nirivia/

Comment

Nehan - Japanese for nirvana

Comment

Nala
                                        Nadine
                                        I second Nymeria!!

http://www.horses-and-horse-informat...enames/n.shtml

Comment

Working...
                                        X