Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

DSC_0001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

I'm Sorry... I Need an N name desperately!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far like Nuance and Nymeria. Easy to say and elegant even without entertainment connections. Barn name, Nyx.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by WildGooseChase View Post
      Nyx was a primordial goddess, meaning she preceded the Titans and Olympians. She, along with Erebus created light, day, sleep, death, the Fates, strife and pain. She was greatly feared lol

She isn't the personification of evil in Greek mythology but is often associated with less than ideal situations. Personally, I would be hesitant to use that name in naming a horse, I am not superstitious but that's bad JUJU..

If you're bent on using Nyx, I would go for something like Nyx's Hemera, Hemera is one of her children, who is the goddess of light, or Aether (Aither) who represents day, also one of her children.
      I agree. I wouldn't touch the name "Nyx" with a ten-foot lunge whip!
      Rack on!

Comment

Night Light (for the star, etc.)
        First Night

I have known a few bay horses named for actual bays. I like those names, e.g., Biscayne Bay, Colwyn Bay

Nuala (/ˈnuːlə/; Irish: [ˈn̪ˠuəl̪ˠə]) is an Irish female given name, derived from Irish mythology - being either a diminutive form of Fionnuala ("fair shoulder"), the daughter of Lir, or an alternate name for Úna (perhaps meaning "lamb"), wife of Finvarra, king of the fairies.
        I would spell it Nula because an announcer might think it's pronounced "Nu-AH-la" as I did!

Nova
        Nola

Naomi -- previously suggested by someone else, is one of my favorite names

Novena -- another no-no, IMO. Might offend some Catholics as a Novena is a series of prayers or services on 9 successive days.

Rack on!

Comment

Something (with an N) Onyx?
          Noble Onyx, Noctis Onyx, Nova (novi, novo, nuevo) Onyx, Night (nuit, nacht, noc) Onyx
          I like that it contains Nyx in it already, but on the other hand, you'll still need to pick a name with N

I'm going to jump on the Nymeria train too. Loved that name in the books, and still do! Plus, it seems like most people pronounce it the same way, so a plus for announcements

Comment

Nicola or Nicole -- barn name Nikki

Noteworthy
            Nina
            Northern Light(s)
            Rack on!

Comment

Nordic
              Nordi (I don't know what, if anything, it means, but IMO it looks both feminine and Nordic)
              Rack on!

Comment

Originally posted by D-quine TS View Post

Filly is Bay with a wide star, strip, wide snip face and hind socks. Parents are Nirvana (Novalis x Pik Kasso mare) and Viva (Vulcaan x Fogerty mare)
                Is this your mare's sire? --
                https://horse-canada.com/stallions-d...y/nirvana-rph/

If so, then we are talking Canadian Warmbloods, yes? And BTW, that "Pik Kasso mare" has a name, just like you are looking for one for yours.

So what about --

Nanaimo

And some more Canadian place names beginning with N:
                http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CA/a/N/

And ...

"Faith Is a Nanooka"
                http://www.abyssapexzine.com/2014/12...-is-a-nanooka/
                Rack on!

Comment

Have heard Onyx as Honks and...wait for it....Oinks. Plus those horses picked up the unfotunate barn name of Ox with all but the owners. Probably been 3 or 4 named Onyx over the years, all geldings. Not good name for a pretty mare. If you are going to pick a gemstone, mares get Opal, Emerald, Sapphire etc...
                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

“NICE”
                    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Go with Nyx, barn name Stevie.
                      A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Rackonteur View Post

Is this your mare's sire? --
                        https://horse-canada.com/stallions-d...y/nirvana-rph/

If so, then we are talking Canadian Warmbloods, yes? And BTW, that "Pik Kasso mare" has a name, just like you are looking for one for yours.

So what about --

Nanaimo

And some more Canadian place names beginning with N:
                        http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CA/a/N/

And ...

"Faith Is a Nanooka"
                        http://www.abyssapexzine.com/2014/12...-is-a-nanooka/
                        Yes, that is her sire. I'm well aware that Patina had a name, she was also the sweetest mare and made the BEST babies.

I hate Nanaimo the place, but the dessert is one of my favs!

Comment

Go to the Jockey Club web site. They have a naming section (Since TB names cannot be reused for about 10 years, it is easier to look up a name than submit and get rejected.

I know that part doesn't pertain to you, but under each letter in the alphabet, there can be 100's of names. That's where I always start

Personally. I think that Nacona ids a very pretty name. --- I always start with The first letter I need (here you want an "N", followed by an "a"). That takes you all the way through the N names.
                          "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism" https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/c...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Nanyuki, Ngong, Nairobi, . . . .
                            kenyagirl

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                              Have heard Onyx as Honks and...wait for it....Oinks. Plus those horses picked up the unfotunate barn name of Ox with all but the owners.
                              Whoops! hehe it's great to have experienced horse people on this board . . . sometimes for reasons entirely unrelated to horsemanship and riding!

How about Niagara for a Canadian place name? I do like that idea
                              Niagara Flies perhaps?

Though typing out Niagara makes me realized it could _also_ be prone to mispronunciation, seems well known enough to me, but I grew up near Canada.

I do like Nyx as a barn name though, I think it's cute and concise!

Comment

Nyx of Time....

Comment

Nokomis
                                  Rack on!

Comment

Nostalgia
                                    Nostalgic
                                    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                                    My equine soulmate
                                    Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

• Original Poster

I am so stoked with all the names! I'm going with Nyx as a barn name. Seeing as Nyx was not actually evil (having never done anything worse than Zeus) she just had immense power, which I think is great for a horse's name.

I thought I had decided on Nyx Noctu, and then I threw a curve ball into my own plan by realizing I could use IN words and just use N- like N-sync So now more pondering will be done.

Gotta say, I'm surprised no one suggested Naked or should I say Neigh-ked, and then at a show it would be announced as "John Doe riding Naked"

Comment

Nirvana

Comment

Nina..... it’s simple & Feminine .

Comment

Working...
                                          X