Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

BarnApartmentFront
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

The “shamateur”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PonyPenny View Post

The OP is jealous of the other rider getting opportunities that she does not get. If the OP was offered those same opportunities she would not be posting here.
    I don't think you can know the OP's motivations or future behaviors. But these assumptions are mean-spirited. If the amateur rule affords the OP some protection, then her feelings or possible behaviors are irrelevant.

Make the rule under discussion now a law about reporting rape and reconsider what you might say about the person who called out the law-breaker.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Originally posted by atl_hunter View Post

I do hope you weren't referring to my post, as I was not complaining at all. I truly believe if you are able to show at an elite level, then go for it. But then don't sandbag back down. Would you expect a person who can ride Grand Prix or 1.2m to show long stirrup? I would consider that sandbagging. As a national champion/reserve world champion/and multiple horse/rider of the year award winner in breed events, I would never dream of stepping down to novice amateur at those shows just because the rules say I can. Not sure why you and RedHorses would accuse me of complaining about talented people at the top of a sport when I am one of them.

Please, by all means do go troll someone else.
      Down killer. I was simply trying to explain to Red Horses that you were not in fact up in arms over amateurs competing in open classes. Don't worry, next time I won't bother.

Comment

• Originally posted by mvp View Post

I don't think you can know the OP's motivations or future behaviors. But these assumptions are mean-spirited. If the amateur rule affords the OP some protection, then her feelings or possible behaviors are irrelevant.

Make the rule under discussion now a law about reporting rape and reconsider what you might say about the person who called out the law-breaker.
        You’ve got to be kidding. How dare you compare sexual assault with a perceived violation of the amateur rule. You are one sick individual.

Comment

You’ve got to be kidding. How dare you compare sexual assault with a perceived violation of the amateur rule. You are one sick individual.
          MVP is essentially applying the broken window theory and relating it to safe sport.

You are are way too worked up over this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pintopony175 View Post
            ....I don’t want to stir the pot or start drama especially since I’m very new... but this drives me crazy!
            Pretty much a fail on that. 7 pages in a week in response to somebody who sounds not new and quite experienced and knowledgeable in the few posts made on other topics. Certainly knowledgeable enough to understand options. You’d think anyway.
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Of course the point is the same. It was the snark in the original post that made me post that as I have seen it up teen times before. It is not a leap of logic. Go troll someone else.
              I went back and read the original post again and I just don't see the snark , jealousy, envy, etc that you and others are ascribing to the OP. I read a person who is following the rules and upset that somebody else is not.

Also sounds like the OP has been given good advice on how to address the problem by filing a protest, or removing her horse from this program, or both.
              "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu
              Semantics

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by findeight View Post

Pretty much a fail on that. 7 pages in a week in response to somebody who sounds not new and quite experienced and knowledgeable in the few posts made on other topics. Certainly knowledgeable enough to understand options. You’d think anyway.
                New to this specific barn/area but in no way new to the sport.

Like I said before I am just shocked this is happening so blatantly obvious in front of everyone.

Ive appreciated the responses, in no way did I mean for this to blow up like this.
                Thanks for everyone who provided helpful insight.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeHoney View Post

The OP has said that the person in question works as a groom. 1) I think it's a pretty rare situation where anyone works as a groom for free, and 2) if I worked as a groom for free for someone and also was seen riding their horses, I would 100% EXPECT an amateur rules inquiry to be initiated because that is such an obvious violation on the surface. Reality is that many amateurs would be extremely careful to engage in such a practice because they know it looks bad and they would not want people to even have the perception of possible rule breaking.
                  I don't think it's as uncommon as you think. A few years back I helped at shows all the time (as in get there at 5, leave at 8) doing whatever needed to be done, because I was single and had nothing better to do and I liked doing it. I rode with the trailer and helped set up, I longed and tacked horses up for the trainer, helped get kids down to the ring, rode home to unload horses and unpack...whatever was needed. I wasn't ever paid, and the trainer and clients appreciated having an extra set of experienced hands. I would have understood if people questioned it, but I wasn't breaking the rules and thoroughly enjoyed being involved.

I'm not saying that the person in question is or isn't being paid, but until you've seen true evidence of payment the reality is you just don't really know.
                  Jennifer Baas
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

• Report the person, turn the other way, ignorance is bliss, or the cop out "well you are jealous" - likely comments by offenders themselves. It is pretty easy to prove with people's social media posts these days.

Payment is compensation not just cash.

Comment

• I think it is somewhere in the middle. I agree that 10+ years ago it happened and maybe really more like 20+ years ago it was more common that ammies (and juniors) pitched in. Let's face it, 20 years ago this sport was sitting on the edge of the big money machine it is today, and a lot of trainers were still making money on lessons, not showing and sales.

But now, probably partly due to the big money/higher stakes nature of the sport, in the barns that regularly show, I suspect ammies are more careful because the ammy rule has received a lot of attention, clarification and enforcement over the last few years.
                      Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mac123 View Post

I don't think it's as uncommon as you think. A few years back I helped at shows all the time (as in get there at 5, leave at 8) doing whatever needed to be done, because I was single and had nothing better to do and I liked doing it. I rode with the trailer and helped set up, I longed and tacked horses up for the trainer, helped get kids down to the ring, rode home to unload horses and unpack...whatever was needed. I wasn't ever paid, and the trainer and clients appreciated having an extra set of experienced hands. I would have understood if people questioned it, but I wasn't breaking the rules and thoroughly enjoyed being involved.

I'm not saying that the person in question is or isn't being paid, but until you've seen true evidence of payment the reality is you just don't really know.
                        While I appreciate your point, IME there is a pretty noticeable difference between the way an employee in directed and works, versus the way a helper/extra set of hand is directed and helps. I doubt the OP - who is in barn on a regular basis - would miss the distinction the way that someone who might be observing interactions for a shorter period of time might. Even without seeing payment, there are plenty of ways for the OP to know that this is not a amateur compliant relationship, including in barn comments made by both the trainer and the shamateur.

Comment

Working...
                        X