Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Exterior Front_4
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Alternatives to laced reins : Update EC Hunter Legal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to laced reins : Update EC Hunter Legal

Anyone ride in reins that aren't laced? I am so sick of cleaning them and my current ones twist horribly. I was looking at the thin CWD fancy stirched rubber reins but haven't held them in person. The photos look like they would be nice to hold but open to options.
    Last edited by Against*All*Odds; Mar. 13, 2019, 02:15 PM.
    www.abacusfurniture.com

Bit Chair: https://www.instagram.com/p/BNfIUYig...bacusfurniture

If you're showing rated hunters, you can't use rubber reins in Canada unless an exception is made due to bad weather:

Article G203:
    6. Reins: entirely leather of any description, buckled, studded or sewn; single rein pelham with pelham converters are allowed only in junior and amateur classes in 3' (0.90m) or below. In the case of bad weather, at the discretion of the judge, steward and/or competition committee, rubber reins may be allowed

Have you looked at the leather reins that are smooth leather with leather stops? I've got a pair that I used when showing hunters and really liked the feel of them, and they are much easier to clean.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

A great little trick is to use an electric toothbrush (with soft bristles) to clean laced reins. Works really well.
      \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Comment

• Original Poster

I'll be showing under the AQHA guidlines this year but can't get the rulebook to load online.

Good to know about EC. I hadn't thought about it. I can keep my current reins for shows.
        www.abacusfurniture.com

Comment

If you already hate the reins and are looking to replace them you could start just hosing them off to clean them. In the past I have used leather tools to make little dents in smooth leather reins so I can feel where my hands are without the distracting visual of stops or laces.

Comment

If you want full leather, fancy stitched reins that aren't laced, try Hinterland's soft notched reins. They are the most comfortable reins I've used and are easier to clean than laced or even plain leather.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by conniemary View Post
              If you want full leather, fancy stitched reins that aren't laced, try Hinterland's soft notched reins. They are the most comfortable reins I've used and are easier to clean than laced or even plain leather.
              Those look beautiful! I had never heard of them.
              www.abacusfurniture.com

Comment

• Original Poster

conniemary I bought them Will report back on them when they arrive!

I love COTH!
                www.abacusfurniture.com

Comment

Originally posted by Against*All*Odds View Post
                  conniemary I bought them Will report back on them when they arrive!

I love COTH!
                  I just ordered them as well!

Comment

Those Hinterland reins look perfect! Reading the product description it says that they have web inserts. Would this make them a show ring no go in Canada? They look perfect and I seriously want them but not if I can't use them! TIA

Comment

Originally posted by Supakwe View Post
                      Those Hinterland reins look perfect! Reading the product description it says that they have web inserts. Would this make them a show ring no go in Canada? They look perfect and I seriously want them but not if I can't use them! TIA
                      This is the first I have heard of them but they do seem to be exactly what OP is looking for. I thought the description meant that the web inserts were inside the leather reins so that they are invisible but maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BAC View Post

This is the first I have heard of them but they do seem to be exactly what OP is looking for. I thought the description meant that the web inserts were inside the leather reins so that they are invisible but maybe I'm wrong.
                        I'm pretty sure the webbing is an insert so not visible but I'm concerned about rule sticklers. I'm doubtful that anyone would second guess them but who knows... Ahhhhh screw it I'll buy them anyway

Comment

I'm pretty sure the webbing is an insert so not visible but I'm concerned about rule sticklers. I'm doubtful that anyone would second guess them but who knows... Ahhhhh screw it I'll buy them anyway
                          The webbing is definitely not visible, but I don't know the rule sorry.
                          They are amazing - I bought one pair and don't want to use any other reins now!

Comment

• Original Poster

Ugh I can't wait for them to ship!
                            www.abacusfurniture.com

Comment

Originally posted by Against*All*Odds View Post
                              Ugh I can't wait for them to ship!
                              Let me know how you like them. I hate cleaning laced reins.

Comment

The rule says "entirely of leather" so if a steward were to check your equipment, you'd be in trouble! (Unless the leather completely covers the notches and you cannot put your hand in between, then most likely you're fine!). Now this rule is for hunters, so they're just fine in the jumpers....I've also known people "push"this rule but me...nope....Ive had stewards measure my crop, check my bit and check to make sure there's no "tongue ties" etc being used! I Never mind and always happily comply as I know I'm aok withmy equipment!
                                I have cancer but cancer doesn’t have me!

Comment

The reason those reins have nylon inserts is that they are made of calfskin. Calf is too delicate to hold up without a lining. The same is true of stirrup leathers. As the name suggests, they are meant to be made of leather, but since calf has become popular for tack, the lining became necessary.

I suggest that this is a case of the "'letter of the law" vs. the "spirit of the law." I suspect the rule cited in SolarFlare's post above was written to prevent people from using reins that look like plain leather but have rubber or web backing to provide grip. Nylon inserts would not provide any additional grip. Any part of the rein the rider touches is leather.

However, I realize that the rule as written is clear, and technically these reins could be considered in violation. I would suggest getting in touch with the official governing body and asking if these reins are OK.
                                  I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Original Poster

Good points: I have reached out to my federal governing body and provincial governing body for clarification on these specifically. I will report back on my personal review of the reins and with what the status of these are per EC and OE
                                    www.abacusfurniture.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dewey View Post
                                      . . .
                                      I suggest that this is a case of the "'letter of the law" vs. the "spirit of the law." I suspect the rule cited in SolarFlare's post above was written to prevent people from using reins that look like plain leather but have rubber or web backing to provide grip. Nylon inserts would not provide any additional grip. Any part of the rein the rider touches is leather. . . .
                                      That makes sense and I suspect they would be allowed but best to confirm that just to be sure, as you suggested..

Comment

• Original Poster

THJA is suggesting they would pass inspection but it is subjective to each steward and to ask a steward for clarity at the first show of the season. I am waiting to hear back from EC.

Also, I popped into Bahr Saddlery today and they have a similar (though not as nice) version seen here https://schockemoehle.net/en/schocke...durasoft?c=109

www.abacusfurniture.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X