Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

105 DSCN0687
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Everybody looks alike - spinoff from horse myths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the Maclay one year, maybe 2003? Every rider had on the same outfit: dark navy jacket, white shirt, same style boots... It was like a uniform. Only one deviation: a rider from Utah, Kate __, was wearing a super-pale blue shirt. I can still remember. The only difference between riders were the horses!

Comment

I miss colored shirts and subtly patterned jackets. And the jackets were made of quality fabric with a nice hand.
      ~Veronica
      "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
      http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

I’ve been teasing my mother, who has recently returned to the show ring after a prolonged absence. She’s wearing my hunt coats for the moment until it makes sense for her to get her own, but found some good deals on show shirt and breeches at the consignment store. I told her that with her light pink shirt, ever so slightly green beige Tailored Sportsmans, and my hunter green coat, she was bringing back the late 90’s. She thought I was criticizing until I clarified that she could wear whatever she wanted provided she didn’t miss to the first jump... and didn’t find her old madras coat in the attic. She did not miss to any of her jumps and the barn kids think she’s super cool.

I love that hunter green coat and I have a gorgeous cream rat catcher with a peach windowpane that you can pry out of my cold dead hands. (And I mean ratcatcher, collar and all, with tone on tone monogram.)
        "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
        Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by hillary again View Post
          I watched the Maclay one year, maybe 2003? Every rider had on the same outfit: dark navy jacket, white shirt, same style boots... It was like a uniform. Only one deviation: a rider from Utah, Kate __, was wearing a super-pale blue shirt. I can still remember. The only difference between riders were the horses!
          Your post made me start thinking ... maybe this is one way modern-day show hunters are a little like the hunters of my youth -- when many show hunters were also field hunters -- actual hunts have traditionally had a uniform so IMO it makes sense that show hunters would dress uniformly too -- down to the bridles which are nothing like the classic hunt bridles of the Corinthian classes but are nevertheless "uniform". So if every pair that enters the ring looks they are members of the same hunt team, well, at least that's one link with hunt tradition.

Rack on!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMoo View Post
            The only fad that ever and still bothers me is the half pad fad. Maybe it's regional. I bought a shimmable thin line to help with saddle fit until I had money to get a new saddle fitted to my mare. One saddle fitter actually fit the saddle to her with the half pad. Umm no. That is not how this works! Yes I own a half pad, no I don't want a saddle fitted so I have to use it.

Like scribbler, fates handed me black tack. I got a screaming good deal on a Bobby's bridle that is cut back from the ears. At the time I could only find $$$$ brown bridles and then, I didn't like the reins, or I didn't like the noseband. So I lived with mismatched tack (a huge peeve of mine) until I could get a new saddle. So I bought a black saddle because I cannot live with mismatched tack!
            Ummm, if you use the half pad all the time then the saddle does need to be fitted with the half pad. Otherwise when you use the pad the saddle becomes too narrow. Every saddle fitter I've ever used asks me what kind of pads I use on a regular basis.
            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

Ummm, if you use the half pad all the time then the saddle does need to be fitted with the half pad. Otherwise when you use the pad the saddle becomes too narrow.
              The saddle I used the half pad with was too wide. I bought a half pad that had shims to help with my old saddle’s fit. That was THE only reason for the half pad. I wasn’t using a half pad for any other reason.

I am not going to have a saddle fitted with a half pad of my horse doesn’t need a half pad for any other reason than helping with fit.

Comment

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                I miss colored shirts and subtly patterned jackets. And the jackets were made of quality fabric with a nice hand.
                I showed hunters several times in a purple hunt coat. I doubt the judge could see what color it was, all the kids thought it was awesome, and I doubt it made much of a difference in my ribbons. I either placed well or terribly.
                http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

I showed hunters several times in a purple hunt coat. I doubt the judge could see what color it was, all the kids thought it was awesome, and I doubt it made much of a difference in my ribbons. I either placed well or terribly.
                  I would like to see a picture of that. With the kerfuffle over burgundy hunt coats I’ve often wondered why we haven’t seen dark violet. Would be striking on a gray horse.
                  "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                  Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

enjoytheride What an awesome color for a coat!! I bet it looked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunflower View Post
                      For all the people with a horror of black tack in the hunter or jumper rings-- in the UK, the horror is of brown tack. Well, horror is probably too strong a word to describe the UK reaction, it is more of a "tut" ( it is all understated) but brown tack just *is* *not* *done* and if you have it, you are going to get side eye. If nothing more. Americans with their brown tack are seen as sort of barbaric.
                      I had to go and have a look at Horse & Hound to check. It all seems to be well cleaned dark brown/black. Traditionally, brown leather was the good stuff and with regular cleaning it becomes so dark it is hard to tell if it is brown or black. I think tack colour is a bit of an American thing.
                      "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

Working...
                      X