Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_0200
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Everybody looks alike - spinoff from horse myths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everybody looks alike - spinoff from horse myths

One byproduct of all these unwritten rules for the hunter ring is that everyone looks the same.

I have a photo of 3 classmates and myself at a horse show back in the 70s. We took most of the ribbons in a big hunter under saddle class: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. We all wore different color hunt coats: green, tan, navy, and black. That was when the colored chokers were in and we each had different colors/patterns to coordinate with our coats. The horses were all different colors, too - gray, dark brown/black, bay, and chestnut. I have no memory of there being a strict set of unwritten rules about appearance like there is today.

All the manes were braided on the right, though.

But I don't see that kind of variety much in the show ring today. I guess I can understand the benefit to dressing exactly like everyone else and having your horse turned out exactly like the others. I mean, at that point, the only differences between the horses and riders is performance, and that's what the judging is supposed to be focused on.

I haven't stepped foot in a show ring in several years and haven't shown a hunter in decades, so I don't really have an opinion. I'm just glad that now days they have very low level jumpers for me and my polo shirt.

And I can't wait to read Daventry's article.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
    that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Your post brought back so many memories! My first white shirt was for Dressage. All of my H/J shirts were a variety of colors and patterns.

Comment

I expect that as a discipline gets more expensive and more focussed on winning, people will self select to do the things that appear to be most rewarded. Everyone can end up deciding a bay gelding and a navy blue coat is the "safest" choice. It's like wearing a very conservative suit to a job interview. It might not be decisive but why risk it? The clothes are the one thing that you can entirely control.

Also hunters is highly populated by juniors, and teen girls have a horror of not looking right. The rumors about what's OK sounds exactly like what teen girls say about appearance ( trying to remember what brand of jeans and cigarettes "meant you were a slut" in 1976 but mercifully the fog of time has blurred that detail.

Now in lower level dressage there seem to be middle age returning riders who are starting to embrace colored pads and jackets and rhinestone studded gear because, darn it, they are paying good money for this horse stuff, they want to express themselves, and you only live once.

That is the hard earned lesson of experience. Pursue it to its end, though, and you become a Red Hat Lady ( anyone remember that cultural moment?).

Comment

For all the people with a horror of black tack in the hunter or jumper rings-- in the UK, the horror is of brown tack. Well, horror is probably too strong a word to describe the UK reaction, it is more of a "tut" ( it is all understated) but brown tack just *is* *not* *done* and if you have it, you are going to get side eye. If nothing more. Americans with their brown tack are seen as sort of barbaric.
        A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

If only hunter fads nd conformity could all be blamed on teenaged girls
          Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

But my point was in dressage, low level ammies seem to be cautiously embracing bling. When they are by no means the best, and know that, and figure: if not now, then when? for the rhinestones.

And dressage has been just as traditional as hunters with the whole black and white outfit until very recently.

I have nothing to do with hunters but I actually really like the traditional style and the high quality brown tack. I like how brown leather ages compared to.black. But fates and second hand shopping gave given me black jump and dressage saddles and therefore black bridles.

Comment

The only fad that ever and still bothers me is the half pad fad. Maybe it's regional. I bought a shimmable thin line to help with saddle fit until I had money to get a new saddle fitted to my mare. One saddle fitter actually fit the saddle to her with the half pad. Umm no. That is not how this works! Yes I own a half pad, no I don't want a saddle fitted so I have to use it.

Like scribbler, fates handed me black tack. I got a screaming good deal on a Bobby's bridle that is cut back from the ears. At the time I could only find $$$$ brown bridles and then, I didn't like the reins, or I didn't like the noseband. So I lived with mismatched tack (a huge peeve of mine) until I could get a new saddle. So I bought a black saddle because I cannot live with mismatched tack!

Comment

Curious.. 'bling' is still in fashion in the hunter ring?

Comment

I evented for years on a succession of unrelated chestnuts with blazes and chrome. My non horsey BFF commented when I finally got a bay that I must be ready for a change since I'd had the last horse since 9th grade. I guess he'd always thought they were all the same horse.

Comment

Some people use half pads for reasons beyond saddle fit, I don't think think that's a fad that's going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyj79 View Post
                        Some people use half pads for reasons beyond saddle fit, I don't think think that's a fad that's going anywhere.
                        I agree, but it would be nice to be asked WHY I was using the half pad.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyj79 View Post
                          Now I'm curious - what other reasons beside saddle fit are there to use a half pad?

Comment

Originally posted by BigMama1 View Post

Now I'm curious - what other reasons beside saddle fit are there to use a half pad?
                            Because sometimes you have one or two that are still very white and very nice, and I just don't want to go and shell out hundreds of unnecessary dollars for new pads that aren't needed! Plus....I like them! I have short legs and prefer the look of less sheepskin around my saddle, the half pad fits the bill nicely...personal preference!
                            I have cancer but cancer doesn’t have me!

Comment

Improved comfort and performance, Big Mama for horse and/or rider. I use a thinline pads

?https://www.thinlineglobal.com/about...nd-rider-backs

??????

Comment

Originally posted by eclipse View Post

Because sometimes you have one or two that are still very white and very nice, and I just don't want to go and shell out hundreds of unnecessary dollars for new pads that aren't needed! Plus....I like them! I have short legs and prefer the look of less sheepskin around my saddle, the half pad fits the bill nicely...personal preference!
                                I like them, too. Specifically with my brick-house BWP mare- I think I have more "connection" with my leg on her. Could be my imagination.

Either way- the article will be interesting. As long as people weren't cherry picked. Off the top of my head- I can generally think of 3-4 horse professionals to support or not the topic of the day.

A judge from the East, Mid, West, a younger and an older judge would make for interesting reading. A few close friends - maybe not so much.
                                Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

A thin, shock absorbing half pad can help a horse work better over its back even when the saddle fits well. And frankly, it is key for my bad back, whether I can walk straight or not. I have a pinched nerve and need some help.

I love my invictus half pad.

however, recent trends of everyone in black and navy with white shirts will go away too. I think it started because the cool modern tech fabrics were only available in those colors. As that expands, coat options will too. Things like subtle plaid and herringbone must be hard to do with stretchy fabric.

Comment

Remember when it was important to know what chinstrap was in style? At one point it needed to be very loose and clear, and then the next year it would be very loose and leather. Usually always extremely loose because safety, who? The chinstraps were connected to the helmet with snaps so it was easy to interchange the in-style strap.

Comment

I forgot about the clear plastic chin straps! God they were uncomfortable in the heat - mine always gave me hives!

Comment

I am, and have always been, the one in the amateur hunter ring with a charcoal gray coat and a pink shirt. Love the combo. It's sort of become my trademark. I have always known that if I didn't get a ribbon, it's because I made a bigger error than wearing a pastel shirt.

Comment

Working...
                                        X