• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who else is a heat wimp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else is a heat wimp?

I am! It was 101 today, supposed to be 103 tomorrow. Heat index around 110. The "cool" day of the recent past was Sunday, which it was only 93. I just cannot ride in this heat. I can't do much for that matter. Even if I go out in the evening it's so humid I can't last more than about 15 minutes in the saddle. If we ride outside, we bake in the sun (not to mention that the jumps are a pain to set up & take down), the indoor has a lot less air moving in it. We can't win for losing!

Those of you who are still riding faithfully in this sauna, how do you do it?
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Raise hand - heat wimp here too.

I have a cool medics vest that helps quite a bit. Also dunk my helmet in water before I put it on and sometimes mist myself with the hose. Lots of water as well.

I take lots of walk breaks and when I turn beet red stop riding as I have passed out in the heat years ago and don't want to take chances.

My trainer understands and she works my horse a bit more on the days when I don't ride much so he stays fit.

Comment

I'm MELTING !!! Staying in the covered ring, lots of water in the fridge, horse on electrolytes and quite frankly not letting her get too sweaty at this point.. no point getting her sick
      I can explain it TO you,but I can't understand it FOR you

Comment

i live in las vegas, so we ride EARLY.. lessons start at 5am and are done by 9am. no covered rings. we simply survive the summer months here, i don't feel like i'm "living" so much as just surviving lol granted we dont have the extreme humidity. but we've had a "cold front" and are sitting in the high 90s vs. 110+. i'll be more than ready when fall arrives!!

Comment

Yucky yucky yucky....

We've been hacking out a lot lately Especially through the forest where it's nice and shady!! (buggy though)

Can't get away with that this week since I'm showing... sigh.

Comment

ME! It is next to impossible to get a decent ride out of me in weather like this. I feel like one of the minions from Despicable Me trying to ride a horse, comparable to a sack of potatoes. Ugh.
            "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
            www.useaiv.org

Comment

As far as I am concerned upper 70's is as hot as it ever needs to get. And I absolutely HATE humidity. Unfortunately I live where we sometimes get triple digits during the day..... BUT it cools off in the evening and it is not humid. When it is really hot here, we can go to the beach where it may be 20-30 degrees cooler. So I guess I can't complain too much.

Comment

Ugh! ready for the fall- I hate the heat! :P I live in southern TN so we have heat and humidity (double the fun ) plus I get itchy if I get too hot which is definitely not fun! I usually try to ride early morning (around 7:30 or 8) and then get off and hose us both down. I hose her and then leave the fan on her while I sit for a second in the tack room w/ the a/c on. Then I go back out, hose her again and put her in her stall w/ her fan. On the way home, I usually stop for a cold drink (so much better than my hot gatorade ). When I get home, I either jump in the pool or take a cold shower.
                Follow my instagram @snafflesandwellies for all things horses + fashion!

Comment

I am. Big time. Hose-off breaks galore and only ride around 7PM, if at all.

Comment

The problem with riding early AM or late night is that when it comes time to horse show, most classes run during the HOT part of the day. I go out to the barn at 930 and stay until about 3, riding several horses. You get acclimated to it after a while. I mean it's miserable, but it's tolerable.

I just finished up 3 weeks of A shows in 100 degree temps with heat index 110+, gotta love the south. I survived by wearing my new AYR8 helmet, untack and bathing the horse between every class, and drinking water and gatorade constantly.

Comment

ME TOO!! I am a heat wimp, completely. Anything above about 85 and I am toast, and we have had some 100+ weather here. I try to ride at 8am, trainer schedule permitting. In the morning half of our ring is still in shade, so that helps.

Lots of water breaks, and shorter lessons. I've never showed above 88-90 degrees, and I don't think I will...that was almost too much with the hunt coat, even with my husband bringing water all the time.
                      "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Comment

Hack in the fields along the edge of the woods where it's shady, or in the woods when the bugs aren't horrendous. Then hose (which cools me too, because my horse's trade-off for standing quietly for the hose is that he gets to occasionally grab it and turn it on me).
                        "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Mom View Post
                          Those of you who are still riding faithfully in this sauna, how do you do it?
                          iwouldnt call it being a wimp, i'd call it being smart no riding when it's 104* and humid. that'll kill ya both!
                          I get up early and ride in the early morning while it's in the 70-80 range. by 10 am it's too hot generally
                          we are in a cold front (haha) so i'm headed to the barn now instead of 1.5 hrs earlier
                          www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                          chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Nah, I'm a cold weather wimp. Good luck getting me to ride below 40*F. If the actual temps are supposed to be above 100 then I'll try to ride in the morning, but I'll ride regardless. Usually won't work as hard, but will definitely walk a lot more. If my planned ride is pushing me to the point where I don't feel like I can keep going then I cut things short because odds are horse is feeling the same way. And like someone else said, riding in the heat can be good for acclimating to summer showing.
                            "Beware the hobby that eats."
                            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'd much rather be cold than hot.HATE,HATE,HATE,the heat....makes me sick.

Comment

My barn in MN is owned & run by a vet and he wouldn't let the trainer (his daughter) give lessons if it was over 90.
                                Personally, if the horses are just standing & sweating, it's too hot to ride. In some instances that happens at 85, and in Chicago we've had something like 40 days with highs above 80 so I haven't done a lot of riding lately. I did ride early one morning when it was 75 & 250% humidity, and I sweated through my entire ensemble; breeches, shirt, & everything. It was GROSS.

Not to blame the horses, though, I'm an admitted heat wimp.

But cold wimp, no way. Unless it's REALLY cold (below 10), I rode. When it got really cold, like snot freezing to the inside of your nose, it's hard on the horses' (and my!) lungs. But when you hit a certain point (for me it's about 15), it all feels the same if there's no wind.

Comment

Heat wimp here! - although i'm still working mornings and evenings; and still spending the afternoon under the trees lightly riding.

It's been really ugly here in Ocala for well over a week! Very miserable! Heat index over 105 everyday.

Supposed to go to QH Novice Show last weekend - my horse is happy we stayed home! She stayed glued (a few inches) from her fan! - - (she almost lost a shoe too - - probably her way of saying NO WAY!)

Mom's corgi took stuck his head out the hotel door Sat. and immediately turned around - - it's not even fit for dogs; lol!

Thank goodness for a rain storm in the afternoon/evening - - but then, it's just too humid! ick!

Just hope it gets better soon!

Comment

• Original Poster

Today's high was 106. It's almost 7 pm and is still 103. It's supposed to cool off to a chilly 83 tonight. I'm so ready for this darned heat to go away!!! We usually lesson on Tuesday nights, and there was NO way we were going out tonight. Maybe Thursday if it really cools off to a high of 89.
                                    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

I think the high was about 3 degrees cooler over in KC! Tues is my lesson night too and I didn't go. HATE the heat! Much worse than the cold.

Comment

Neither my horse nor I do well in the heat. I took the day off work and went on a trail ride this morning at 11 am, when it was about 90 (it is in the 100s all week here). Usually, on the trails, it takes only a little squeeze for her to trot or canter on ... not so in to it today.

I do lots of trail riding or bareback riding when it gets this hot. It's a nice break for both of us. There's lots of stuff to learn on the trail, too - we do leg yielding, turns on the forehand - and I think we gain a lot of confidence in each other that carries over to our jumping lessons.
                                        My blog: Journeys in Riding

Comment

Working...
                                        X