• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Undisclosed commission?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never gotten a bill of sale directly from the seller that spells out commissions I owe to my trainer. I know that is the law in FL, but not sure if it is elsewhere. I have always had a price list from trainers, and commissions are spelled out there.

Comment

The idea that the trainer didn't 'do much' is meaningless. You could have tried five other horses first, then paid a commissionn on the sixth horse your finally bought. Itr just happens that you didn't. Just as in buying a house, if you but the first one your look at, you still owe a commission.

My only question would be why she didn't bring up the commission around the time your were writing the checks.
      You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

Originally posted by EmilyM View Post
        I've never gotten a bill of sale directly from the seller that spells out commissions I owe to my trainer. I know that is the law in FL, but not sure if it is elsewhere. I have always had a price list from trainers, and commissions are spelled out there.
        Bit confusing, but not completely correct from my reading.

(3) No person acting as an agent for a Purchaser or an Owner, or acting as a dual agent, in a transaction involving the sale or purchase of a horse or any interest therein, may receive consideration, compensation, fees, a gratuity, or any other item of value in excess of five hundred dollars ($500), related directly or indirectly to such transaction, from an individual or entity, including any consignor involved in the transaction, other than the agent’s principal, unless:
        (a) The agent receiving, and the person or entity making, the payment disclose in writing the payment to both the Purchaser and Owner; and
        (b) Each principal for whom the agent is acting consents in writing to the payment.

(6) Except as provided in subsection (4), nothing in this rule chapter shall require disclosure of compensation arrangements between a principal and an agent where no dual agency exists, where the agent is acting solely for the benefit of his or her principal, and where the agent is being compensated solely by his or her principal. Further, for any sale or purchase of a horse or any interest therein in Florida through a public auction or a public sale of thoroughbred horses licensed under Chapter 535, F.S., nothing in this rule chapter shall require disclosure of the reserves, the identity of the Owner or Purchaser, or the auctioneer’s commissions.

So it appears that an agent must disclose their commission to both parties only if they are acting as a dual agent. In Florida.
        "The best of any breed is the thoroughbred horse..." - GHM

http://www.mmeqcenter.com/sale.html

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
          The idea that the trainer didn't 'do much' is meaningless. You could have tried five other horses first, then paid a commissionn on the sixth horse your finally bought. Itr just happens that you didn't. Just as in buying a house, if you but the first one your look at, you still owe a commission.

My only question would be why she didn't bring up the commission around the time your were writing the checks.
          Agreed.
          Definitely should have been discussed and confirmed at the very beginning. But, hindsight is 20/20.
          If I liked the trainer as much as OP says they do, I'd pay the commission and move on with life. If not, well, I'd decline, and expect to look for a new trainer.
          "The best of any breed is the thoroughbred horse..." - GHM

http://www.mmeqcenter.com/sale.html

Comment

Originally posted by PNWhunter92
            Based on the feedback and the fact that I do want to remain in her barn, I think I am just going to have to have a very uncomfortable and conversation with her to discuss my disappointment with the oversight, and see if we can come to some agreement. HATE that this happened.
            That's the mature way to handle it. They key to these kind of discussions all comes down to how you approach it.

"Trainer, can we talk for a second? So, I got the bill for the commission in the mail, and I'm so sorry and this feels awkward, but it totally caught me off guard. I don't want you to think that I didn't appreciate your help in the process of buying Sparky, but I wasn't expecting a full 10% commission. I don't remember commissions ever being talked about and I didn't see them listed in any of the price lists or contracts or anything. Did I miss something? I unfortunately hadn't budgeted for this so it's a bit of a surprise, especially since it came several months after the purchase."

Give her the opportunity to explain, but calmly and non aggressively let her know your side. Maybe she sent you an email and it got lost in cyberspace. Maybe she forgot to mention it entirely. Maybe she was hoping you'd just pay it without questioning. Whatever she says, you can't control her reaction at all. So if she gets defensive or rude, just stay calm, and go into the conversation knowing what you're willing to pay - if anything. Before the conversation, also ask yourself what you would have done if she'd told you ahead of time. Would you have paid it? Negotiated it down? Not bought the horse?

It is unfortunate that this happened, and hopefully either's either a communication oversight or a billing mistake. But I do think that this industry has generally abided by the rule of "ask for it - they'll keep the peace and just pay it," and us being willing to politely and respectfully ask instead of just writing checks can help influence trainers to be more honest and forthright.
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

I agree with your approach. It was a big mistake on your trainer's part to forget to discuss commission with you and then to send you a bill. Now, you are put in a very awkward situation as a customer. If she had mentioned her commission fees, that would have given you an opportunity to discuss the charges as well as what services you would be getting for those fees. It would have given you a chance to budget accurately for the actual costs of the purchase. Now, you suddenly have a $$$ bill that you have not planned for, which is very inconvenient. Perhaps you even would have decided to purchase a horse without her input, or used another agent.

I can guess what your trainer is going to say--that these commissions are "standard" and that she is astounded that you didn't think you were going to have to pay a 10% commission. Well, let's be honest here: many barns and trainers have "standard" commissions, but in MANY instances those commissions are widely negotiated depending on circumstances. People sometimes pay trainers for travel and time for consultations to look at individual horses, sometimes percentages are negotiated (either up or down) depending on the price of a horse, and sometimes commissions are waived for repeat purchases within a short time frame or in barn purchases, and sometimes a finders fee is paid instead of a commission.

Mac123's post is excellent, a great place to start. It's reasonable to want to maintain this professional relationship, but you are well within reason to question an undisclosed commission being charged months down the road. Your trainer may not be a bad person, but s/he did fail to be be transparent and forthright in his/her dealings.

Editing to add that also, I think when you discuss the situation with the trainer, I think it is absolutely within reason to ask what commission was charged--and paid--by the seller. For the trainer to represent both the seller and the buyer (dual agency) and then to collect a total 20% commission on the sale seems a little over the top to me.

And it sounds like you trust your trainer, but personally I'd be very uncomfortable paying a trainer a commission to represent me in a sale where they were already representing the seller. I personally just don't feel like I would be getting my money's worth in that situation due to conflicts of interest. For reference, I can think of one instance where I purchased a horse from a trainer that I was lessoning with regularly (but did not have horses at their barn). In that instance we agreed up front that she (the trainer) was clearly representing the seller. The seller paid the commission, and I represented myself and paid no commission.
              Last edited by BeeHoney; Sep. 7, 2018, 11:16 PM.

Comment

It is not so much the failure to mention the commission for whatever reason that bothers me about this situation, so much as the commission bill came months later. IMO, if the trainer realized the mistake months later, it’s better to eat cost rather than try to collect after several months have gone by.
                http://theotherboard.boards.net/ An OT forum for CoTHers to give our dear Mods a break

Comment

More should have been said upfront. And the commission should have been collected the time of the sale.

When I started to look for horses with current trainer she noted that as soon as she looked at a video the trigger was pulled and a commission would be owed if I bought a horse.

As it turns out I looked at two horses on back-to-back days and ended up buying the first one. This was a horse I never would have found on my own: the agent showed her the horse when she was out there looking for something completely different because he thought she might know of someone who was looking for that type of horse. So this was probably pretty easy money for the trainer--we went to two places (albeit one that involved driving in the rain in Friday afternoon L.A. traffic), she was there for the vet check, and made arrangements including purchase price negotiation with the seller's agent. But there are a lot of sales that are more work. Trainers could base commissions on amount of aggravation, and I have seen some websites where the potential seller pays for the trainer's time looking at horses, but that money is applied towards the commission if/when the buyer actually buys a horse. Wouldn't even out things in my situation, but would cover a trainer's expenses if someone looked at an inordinate number of horses or didn't buy one after looking at several or didn't want to pay a commission because they found the horse that was ultimately purchased after they had looked at some with trainer.
                  The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

The only cure for these kinds of issues is regulation since the "industry" refuses to regulate itself. I live for the day when some state's attorney general starts looking at the horse industry. You can't buy furniture, a car, or a house without disclosure on the seller's part of the entire deal. Plumbers, doctors, lawyers, teachers and almost every other professional has to be licensed (regulated) in some way. Why are horse trainers, sellers, dealers, barn managers exempt. The bad practices and resulting hard feelings will never end until there is a way for those who feel taken advantage of have a way to get their complaints addressed. Moving barns, "bad mouthing" trainers, riders and just being generally angry isn't going to do it. Sorry folks but there is a reason we have state bar associations, licensing bodies and governmental oversight of most of our actions - because for every honest person there is a dishonest one too.
                    kenyagirl

Comment

Without have read every response, the commission itself is not unreasonable as the trainer participated in the sale. And usually each side pays their trainers/agents commissions. However to be enforceable the contract for commission needs to be in writing in states that adhere to the Statute of Frauds. I would have offered to pay my trainer a commission. But having it come up much later in time, without a written contract or notice in a boarding contract that barn requires a commission on all sales and purchases, I would question the reasoning. If you want to be friendly and the commission is not too much, I would pay it to keep peace. But that is up to you.

Comment

Only in the hunter world would excuses be made
                        http://theotherboard.boards.net/ An OT forum for CoTHers to give our dear Mods a break

Comment

Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post
                          Only in the hunter world would excuses be made
                          I’m sure all transactions in the eventing world have been peachy. How you love to come over here to trash us.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver4Ever View Post

I’m sure all transactions in the eventing world have been peachy. How you love to come over here to trash us.
                            I’ve never purchased a horse with my trainer. My hunter trainer when I was growing up made me into a horseman. Take your grudge to PMs. Sorry your trainer made you think you can’t function without them.

Comment

So I don't necessarily have a problem with the trainer charging a commission of some sort, but as I think about this I'm actually more curious as to what the trainer charged the other client. Is it reasonable for a trainer to collect a total 20% commission on an in house sale? That seems really steep to me.

And just to be crystal clear, in cases of dual agency this is NOT private information, both parties have a right to know about any and all commissions their agent receives, so the OP should feel perfectly comfortable asking for this information.

Comment

BeeHoney isn’t it weird though that’ the commission bill was months later? I have no grudge against a commission but begrudge the time line. And I’m flummoxed about people saying don’t make waves because of the time line

Comment

BeeHoney isn’t it weird though that’ the commission bill was months later? I have no grudge against a commission but begrudge the time line. And I’m flummoxed about people saying don’t make waves because of the time line
                                  It could be that the trainer just expected the OP to pay the commission without having to be billed, and only sent the bill once they realized that wasn't happening.
                                  Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post

It could be that the trainer just expected the OP to pay the commission without having to be billed, and only sent the bill once they realized that wasn't happening.
                                    How would they know what the bill is without something stating so?

Comment

I’ve never purchased a horse with my trainer. My hunter trainer when I was growing up made me into a horseman. Take your grudge to PMs. Sorry your trainer made you think you can’t function without them.
                                      I bow down.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver4Ever View Post

I bow down.
                                        Whateves yo.

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post

Buyers never pay a commission when buying a house. The seller pays the commission

Comment

Working...
                                          X