Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

Backyard3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Most disappointing products/purchases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BK6756
    started a topic Most disappointing products/purchases

Most disappointing products/purchases

I really enjoyed reading everyone's favorite things on my previous post, so I thought I would ask what everyone's most disappointing horse product or purchase was (not including actual horses)?

Mine would be:
    1. MTG- It smells horrible and has never had any effect on any skin condition I've ever used it on. In fact, my horses seemed to rub their tails more after using MTG.
    2. Quic black shampoo- Maybe I just had too high of expectations, but this shampoo seemed to have zero effect on my sunbleached boys, despite leaving it on twice as long as supposedly needed. It did stain my hands though...
    3. Ovation Aqua X silicone knee patch breeches- I actually started out loving these and have 4 pairs, but the silicone has begun peeling off after less than 10 wears

• FLeventer
    replied
    Piper breeches. Just found a pair I bought last year in my closet. I gave them a shot and remembered why I stopped wearing them. They kept falling down my hips even with a belt done tight. So uncomfortable.

I have the Amigo Bravo with the disc closure. I dont hate it honestly. Id rather have the snap but the disc actually works totally fine. Easy to get on and off. I thought I was going to hate it but I dont mind it.

The Amigo Mio sheet is a waste of money. Complete trash. Waterproof for half a season. The Amigo Hero isn't much better. Horse has worn it three times and it has holes in it. Won't buy again.

Ice Horse Boots dont get the leg cold enough. Also the packs dont conform. I had better luck filling them with plain ice than using the packs.

The Mylar combination bit. The mouth piece was rusted and nasty after one season. I understand sweet iron, but this was ridiculous. I cleaned it after every ride but I felt bad putting it in my mares mouth.

Leave a comment:

• betsyk
    replied
    And, Irideon full seats. Wore holes through to the skin in 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• betsyk
    replied
    I've been disappointed with Schneider's for all the reasons everyone has mentioned. I used to love them, but just when you find a make and model of blanket that you like, they change it, or if you try on a friend's and then order one, it will be different.

Disappointed with Farnham masks and generally most fly masks for the same reason as Schneider's blankets. They keep changing them just enough that you end up with a pile of one's that don't fit quite right, so you have to buy more.

Leave a comment:

• gottagrey
    replied
    Back in the day when Millers was the go to catalog source, I ordered my first stable/show sheet. As soon as it came in I took it out to the barn to see how it'd look on my horse. Great fit perfectly.. then for some reason I decided then to adjust the surcingles. Hmm interesting one strap isn't long enough to fit around the barn corgi.

Leave a comment:

• FlaxenChestnut
    replied
    Originally posted by eqsiu View Post

I hated the way the Micklem bridle fit my horse (and most of the horses in my old barn). The flash strap pulled the bit tightly against the lips on every single horse. Plus, as you said the leather quality was subpar for the price.
    I'm also disappointed with the leather quality of the Micklem. My horse likes it, but I agree, the leather quality should be better for the price.

Leave a comment:

• FlaxenChestnut
    replied

My biggest problem is a short neck and a small hump where my withers would be. I need a helmet that doesn't come so far down in back as well as a harness that allows for my rather straight head to neck connection. They all seem to want to cup the back of my head but there isn't anything to cup! I greatly miss my Lexington Low Profile velvet helmets from the days before IRH bought Lexington. Nothing I've found since has fit as well. I currently have and IRH 4G that is pretty good. I just wish the harness allowed my ponytail holder to sit higher in back.
    If Samshields fit, they make a Dressage version of their helmets with a higher cut harness to accommodate dressage buns.

Leave a comment:

• eqsiu
    replied
    Also, DSB (and similar) boots. God forbid your horse interfere at all. They may look like they should work as brushing boots, but for the same price I can get Woof Wear boots that won't have holes in the fetlocks 4 months in. And my horse did not interfere much at all! There was one mare in the barn who was so narrow in front you could hear her brushing with every stride. The DSB2s only lasted a month before there were holes in the coverlight outer layer. Good for looks, bad for function.

Leave a comment:

• eqsiu
    replied
    Originally posted by StrawberryFieldsFarm View Post
    Most recently I purchased my second Micklem and it was the worst quality leather and it was split right across the nose band. This was the Deluxe Competition Bridle. Never again.
    I hated the way the Micklem bridle fit my horse (and most of the horses in my old barn). The flash strap pulled the bit tightly against the lips on every single horse. Plus, as you said the leather quality was subpar for the price.

Leave a comment:

• eqsiu
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoMo View Post

Yep that's me. I've been told by the quipment fitter where I work that I have a "hotdog" head
    My biggest problem is a short neck and a small hump where my withers would be. I need a helmet that doesn't come so far down in back as well as a harness that allows for my rather straight head to neck connection. They all seem to want to cup the back of my head but there isn't anything to cup! I greatly miss my Lexington Low Profile velvet helmets from the days before IRH bought Lexington. Nothing I've found since has fit as well. I currently have and IRH 4G that is pretty good. I just wish the harness allowed my ponytail holder to sit higher in back.

Leave a comment:

• BlueDrifter
    replied
    Gosh, I was hoping there was another page to read....

1. Trailer Safe-T ties: I agree, they pop open just sitting there with no horse...
    2. Grooming gloves: horse hates, but dogs love love love (short haired dogs at that!)
    3. Thinline reins: yup, lovely but crack almost immediately
    4. Sweet Itch salves: none of them work - did best with vaseline, desitin, and camphophenic
    5. Red rock salt blocks: none of my horses ever touch them, himalayan yes!
    6. Crypto Aero: I know nutritionally it might not be worth the $$, but exploding poop from oats...what was I thinking?
    7. Guardian Mask with eye cups: cups shifted when he rubbed, and they rubbed his eyes and made it worse.

My favorite thing that works:

1. EquiSpaz for gas colics: it is like DiGel for horses. If it is a gas colic, it will resolve. If it isn't, it won't mask anything. My go to when my horse used to be colicky-acting, just in case, saved boatloads on calling the vet.

Leave a comment:

• StrawberryFieldsFarm
    replied
    Most recently I purchased my second Micklem and it was the worst quality leather and it was split right across the nose band. This was the Deluxe Competition Bridle. Never again.

The Mio rain sheet does not permit adjustments to the chest closure whatsoever and it's really thin. Won't be purchasing these again either.

HDR I completely agree.

Piper breeches

Great topic!

Leave a comment:

• BroncoMo
    replied

If you have an oval shaped head there isn't a CO on earth that will fit properly. The one model that fit ok when my head was upright tipped forward the minute I lifted my chin.
    Yep that's me. I've been told by the quipment fitter where I work that I have a "hotdog" head

Leave a comment:

• 16 Hands
    replied
    Had to chime in on this topic. My absolutely worst product is Exiss wood chewing spray. My god, you need a ventilator and eye protection to use that stuff! It gets into your lungs and you're coughing like you're going to die. You sound like you have TB! That stuff is NASTY!

Leave a comment:

• eqsiu
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoMo View Post

Don't care for the fit of my Charles Owen helmet, but helmet fit is such a personal thing.
    If you have an oval shaped head there isn't a CO on earth that will fit properly. The one model that fit ok when my head was upright tipped forward the minute I lifted my chin.

Leave a comment:

• Dubarry
    replied
    Originally posted by inca View Post

So. damn.true. I was so excited to try these and they are just worthless.
    Glad I am not the only one!

Leave a comment:

• BroncoMo
    replied
    Oddly enough I think I like my Pipers. I mean, are there breeches that are "lovable"? Hate getting in and out of any breech when sweaty. My go-to excuse is that I did not grow up on hunter jumpers, I've figured 90% of this stuff out on my own, so no one was there to teach me what "good" breeches are. They do fall down some but I have no problems with a belt. Though my best show breeches are $100 Ariat heritages so my standard may not be too high

Tredstep boots. My god I loath those things. While not durable, I simply can't seem to get them to die. Which is a good thing? My De Vincis *ATE* my ankles and Achilles. Like others have said, I have legit scars. They dropped so damn much, they are not nearly the height they should be. And all that height went right in to wrinkles around the ankle. I can't tell you how many times they've drawn blood, and not even from walking around all day. Just show prepping. Had a busted snap that has been replaced.
    My Donatelos are slightly better, albeit a cheaper boot. They actually fit pretty well everywhere but the height. I blame that one on the Dover sales rep (see below). Though the zipper is coming unattached from the boot itself. I have abused these boots, essentially trying to break them so I have an excuse to buy better boots. They're holding up decent and overall better fit than the De Vincis, but just not nearly as flattering as they need to be.

Lower end Ariats. Garbage. Plain and simple.

Dover sales reps. I don't order enough from them to have dealings with their customer service, but in store reps have no clue. Again, being from the western all around world, I counted on them for some expertise with boots. I've ended up with three pairs that fit poorly, and simply were not appropriate. My dealings with them, they know nothing about their inventory.

HDR tack

Don't care for the fit of my Charles Owen helmet, but helmet fit is such a personal thing.

Cheap blankets. You truly get what you pay for. I bought a heavy canvas blanket as a cover for other blankets worn by my blanket murderer, thinking the canvas would protect what was under it. No. He killed the canvas in 16 hours flat. Quickest blanket kill of them all. And the last of 6 blankets he killed that particular winter. Switched to Schnieders blankets, and while they have needed some repairs, he has yet to manage to shred them.

Leave a comment:

• Mouse&Bay
    replied
    Originally posted by inca View Post

So. damn.true. I was so excited to try these and they are just worthless.
    An easy hack are zip ties. They come in various weights - 20 lb, 50 lb etc. I tie to those to allow a break away but no am instant getaway.

Leave a comment:

• Jarpur
    replied
    I bought several Safe-T-Ties at the Kensington Products booth at the 21015 World Cup in Las Vegas, after a rep showed me the trick of inter-weaving multiple ties to up the resistance needed to pop open. I've kept them in my trailer with short lead ropes attached ever since, with no accidental opening so far.

I don't like the style of breakaway halter with a replaceable leather "fuse," as I had a filly who would unintentionally tear the leather merely by merely turning her head to look at me. I think I could have torn the leather with my bare hands, so I quickly replaced that halter, which had come with her from her breeder.

Leave a comment:

• GallopAndJump
    replied
    Very helpful thread. Here's my contribution:

1. Lettia polo wraps - Looked so pretty when I got them, but the velcro placement is way off and would only work on a really large draft horse.

2. Ovation helmets - not sure if they changed something, but I have not been happy with my last two. I have a Charles Owen Pro II and a One K that I save for lessons/clinics/shows, but liked having the cheaper one for schooling at home. They were light, comfortable, and affordable (and all have to pass the safety regs, right?). The one I have had for the past three years has completely come apart with the shell totally separated from the liner. I know they aren't supposed to last forever, but at least make it to the five year mark! Replaced it with another Ovation - different style, same size, even checked the size chart and it SHOULD fit but it is so much smaller that I just can't make it work.

I do have to say, I like Smartpak's full seat pipers (the original design) - I do have to wear a belt with them, but love the pockets, the colors, and how they feel. However, I do feel like they don't hold up as long as my Kerrits (I have a pair that I've had for at least eight years and they are just starting to wear out). I have a three pairs - one that I've had for a few years and two newer ones and the full seat on the newer ones are already pilling/wearing so I'm not confident about their durability.

I also have to give a thumbs up to the BoT products. I have a few of the human products and they do help with my joint pain and I can notice a reduction in swelling when I use them. I have a few of the horse products as well and use their saddle pad on one of my geldings who warms up more quickly and seems happier/looser in his back when I use it. Maybe it's all in my head, but I'll take it.

Glad to hear about the Ecovet fly spray (always looking for something to help my guys who are sure that the flies will kill them) and the Safe-T-Tie. I had considered getting some for my trailer, but I'll pass based on the recommendations!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X