Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

DSC_0001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Most disappointing products/purchases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Piper breeches don't fit me either ... snug through the butt and hips and gap hugely in the waist. Durability-wise, mine have lasted a few years, but then again, I usually only wear them when all the ones that fit well are dirty!

Smartpak used to make a "higher end" breech called the Alexus that was much better material and fit well (although the sizing did run big). I wish they still made those.

I ordered a new lead rope a couple months ago from smartpak ... I chose the one I did because it was specifically advertised as having a solid brass snap. It showed up in the mail and while the rope part was fine, the snap was clearly not solid brass but instead one of those cheap brass-plated deals that seem to be all you can find these days. Needless to say, a couple months and a few baths and nights outside later, the snap is now rusty and a PITA to open. I wish someone still made lead ropes (other than leather shanks) with real brass snaps. I'd gladly pay a couple extra dollars for not having to deal with annoyance of rusty snaps.

Comment

Originally posted by BK6756 View Post
      I really enjoyed reading everyone's favorite things on my previous post, so I thought I would ask what everyone's most disappointing horse product or purchase was (not including actual horses)?

Mine would be:
      1. MTG- It smells horrible and has never had any effect on any skin condition I've ever used it on. In fact, my horses seemed to rub their tails more after using MTG.
      2. Quic black shampoo- Maybe I just had too high of expectations, but this shampoo seemed to have zero effect on my sunbleached boys, despite leaving it on twice as long as supposedly needed. It did stain my hands though...
      3. Ovation Aqua X silicone knee patch breeches- I actually started out loving these and have 4 pairs, but the silicone has begun peeling off after less than 10 wears
      The only use I ever found for quick black shampoo was to wash my dappled gray with it to bring out the dapples! MTG- I am on the fence. I use it when i find scabby tick lumps in the mane. And the smell is nasty!

Comment

Originally posted by pickupthepace View Post
        Ice vibe boots-the packs don't conform to the leg, so nothing really gets cold.

Cavalleria Toscana breeches- I haven't actually bought these, but I keep trying them on because they look pretty and the fabric is nice. The fit is really unfortunate. I really want to love them, but the fit is just not good.

Parlanti Essentual Boots- zippers useless after 2 months. I have to tape my new boots to ride in them. Tack store and Parlanti were incredibly unhelpful when I tried to discuss the issue with them.
        Ice Vibe boots are crap and expensive! Mine died after a using a handful of times and the ice inserts get warm right away- and the vibration hype is just that- Not sure what possessed me to buy the damn things. Anyone want mine?

Comment

Originally posted by CPL713 View Post
          HandsOn gloves. I was so excited about them. My horse haaaaaaaates them, no matter how little pressure I use. I use them to occasionally scrub his legs in the wash rack, and otherwise they're just collecting dust.
          Horse did not care for them but the dogs think they are great!

Comment

Samshield gloves- they weep black all over your hands

Dover customer service in the stores- uninformed and unpleasant and not stocked with proper show clothes

Those hay string cutters with plastic and a blade- break on first try every time

T-84 clipper blades- get dull half way through clipping one horse

Large cordless clippers- always fall apart

Pillow wraps- don't conform well to the legs

Thick polos- my hands are big but those things are huge and impossible to work with

Many Smartpak "supplements" are garbage

Comment

"Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." —Bradley Trevor Greive

Comment

Originally posted by BAC View Post

Try CWD leathers, worth every penny IMO. Buttery soft calfskin, half holes, easily adjustable from the saddle and after about 7 years when I sold them with my saddle they were still in excellent condition, no loose stitching or flaking leather. I will never buy anything else. I found the Beval lined leathers a horror.

I have to agree with Scribbler, it seems like many of the products people are complaining about are the cheap versions. I buy Walsh halters, TS and Pikeur breeches and expensive high end tack and have been more than happy with just about everything. I always said I don't like ADT leather quality so not surprised that someone is complaining about them either. You get what you pay for in many situations and this thread just proves it, especially when it comes to Smartpak. Free shipping on cheap low quality merchandise is not such a bargain.
                You have a point....but some of us are buying for teens who are still growing I personally have to find some brands that are affordable and halfway decent. If people keep sharing their knowledge, the affordable options can come to light and we can save our time sending stuff back

Comment

Tredstep anything...from the scar inducing tall boots to the half chaps that shredded in under a year to the paddock boots that died in under a year. Never again. I can barely jog in the tall boots without it inducing tears

Weatherbeeta blankets and fly sheets: I just have had no luck with fit on these with the exception of one dainty TB mare.

BOT Polo Wraps: Agree with the previous poster about them being impossible to wrap with.

Comment

BOT body wraps/blankets have all been failures/disappointments for me. I want to believe... but the fit of their stuff on my horses (who are not abnormally sized) has been so-so, and the BOT blanket actually made my gelding's shoulders sore (no idea if it helped with his back). The BOT pastern wraps I bought would always sag terribly, or twist around overnight.. They were not cheap.. but... I love my BOT saddle pad! And my BOT scarf. So I am only partially disappointed

Here I was saying I love my Tredstep stuff -- but only their breeches. I would not buy their boots, because posters' experience[s] with them in this thread are common.

I have to say... and I hate to say it... I am disappointed in my Passier Ingrid Klimke bridle. I feel like a heretic even saying that, because I am usually a fan of Passier.. but despite minimal use and very good care (baby wipes after every other ride, attention to when it needs to be oiled, etc), the underside of the leather on the jaw-strap is already cracking and no amount of oil seems to be relieving it. The stitching on the noseband is also uneven/off-kilter on the left side, and the noseband itself is either losing its dye, or dulling across the bridge of the nose. It still looks beautiful when put on a horse, but it was not cheap and I am disappointed that it is not holding up better. It is a 3 year old bridle but has probably only been worn for 5-8 months.
                    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
                      Those hay string cutters with plastic and a blade- break on first try every time
                      I love those things and I have had the same one for a couple of years now, though the poor blade is getting dull it still works. For its crazy cheap price I give these things two thumbs up.

Comment

Originally posted by beowulf View Post
                        [B]
                        I have to say... and I hate to say it... I am disappointed in my Passier Ingrid Klimke bridle. I feel like a heretic even saying that, because I am usually a fan of Passier.. but despite minimal use and very good care (baby wipes after every other ride, attention to when it needs to be oiled, etc),
                        Baby wipes on a bridle? I've never heard of that...and it doesn't sound like it would be good for leather...even if it's not crappy leather.

Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                        Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

(I truly think I'm the only one who loves my Treadstep tall boots! I'll take any off anyone's hands that are a 6.5-7 )

Comment

Originally posted by MintHillFarm View Post

Oh no, I just ordered 2 of the Amigo Bravo Plus! I think I am going to try an cancel it. They are on back order anyway. Wish I had seen this first
                            I would def cancel it. I just washed mine for the first time--the color bleached out of it! The other blanket I washed it with? Totally fine (it's a SmartPak deluxe.) Same laundromat and detergent I've been using forever. Now it has faded blotches all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by RugBug View Post

Baby wipes on a bridle? I've never heard of that...and it doesn't sound like it would be good for leather...even if it's not crappy leather.
                              I was thinking the same thing, baby wipes?

Comment

Originally posted by skipollo View Post

I would def cancel it. I just washed mine for the first time--the color bleached out of it! The other blanket I washed it with? Totally fine (it's a SmartPak deluxe.) Same laundromat and detergent I've been using forever. Now it has faded blotches all over it.
                                I did! Thank you so much for posting about them

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, baby wipes?
                                  I use baby wipes on my guy's very sensitive face after a ride - and will occassionally wipe off his flash after a ride. Figure if it's safe enough for a baby's bare butt - it should be safe enough for my horse and his bridle. (I do use the "sensitive skin" formula wipes . . .)

Comment

Originally posted by Showbizz View Post
                                    (I truly think I'm the only one who loves my Treadstep tall boots! I'll take any off anyone's hands that are a 6.5-7 )
                                    I really like my Treadsteps too. I don't do a lot of walking in my tall boots since I change into them right before I get out, and right when I get off. They were super easy to break in and are 3 years old now. Still look great!

I also have no problems with my Amigo Bravo Plus'

SmartPak Piper breeches are terrible. The fit is incredibly odd and the fabric is meh. Cute colors though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigre Horse View Post

I use baby wipes on my guy's very sensitive face after a ride - and will occassionally wipe off his flash after a ride. Figure if it's safe enough for a baby's bare butt - it should be safe enough for my horse and his bridle. (I do use the "sensitive skin" formula wipes . . .)
                                      Its also strong enough to clean poop off a baby's ass. And don't be so confident about its supposed gentleness because its meant for babies. I used to work in the research department of a major cosmetic company, and the cosmetic chemists explained to me that one of the main ingredients in baby shampoo (the no more tears types) is detergent, its not especially gentle. The pH of the shampoo is the same pH as the fluid in the baby's eyes (or something like that) and that is why it doesn't burn, but its still made up of detergent.

Comment

I guess I've been lucky with the Pipers - they are my favorite full seat breeches.

Can't find any tights I like though - nothing is flattering and all the sizing seems off - small seems too small and medium is too big . . . I've tried most of the Kerrits and some others.

I was super disappointed in the second Micklem bridle I bought. Leather quality was substandard to the first and fit was even worse than the first. I never could get it adjusted to fit the way I wanted. It's in a tack trunk somewhere.

The only BOT product I've been disappointed in were the bell boots - they just didn't fit right. Granted, I needed them for his hind feet, but they just wouldn't stay in place - they were no turn. Drove me crazy.

Comment

Its also strong enough to clean poop off a baby's ass. And don't be so confident about its supposed gentleness because its meant for babies. I used to work in the research department of a major cosmetic company, and the cosmetic chemists explained to me that one of the main ingredients in baby shampoo (the no more tears types) is detergent, its not especially gentle. The pH of the shampoo is the same pH as the fluid in the baby's eyes (or something like that) and that is why it doesn't burn, but its still made up of detergent.
                                          Exactly. Not to mention that fact that processed leather =/= skin.

I've used baby wipes on my horse's face (and to clean their butts) but I wouldn't use it on my leather goods.
                                          Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                                          Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

Working...
                                          X