Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Backyard3
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Most disappointing products/purchases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All that expensive goo that tack stores and saddle and bridles makers try to sell you to clean and condition your leather. Caring for leather is not that complicated as evidenced by a whole lot of leather items that I own that still look like new even though a lot of it is 20+ years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
      Total Saddle Fit girth. So many people proclaimed it as a miracle girth. I have nothing against the product in general, but my horse hated it so much she went stark raving mad.
      My old boy actually really liked his, and it sat in just the right place with his saddle. My biggest complaint was the black leather dye stripped badly within a year of normal use and cleaning.

Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
        Thinking about this, it's mostly stuff I've cheaped out on and it didn't last. Greenhawk full seat breeches that shredded right through the fake suede in a year (two pairs did this). A $25 leather halter that ripped too easily.

Just go ahead and get the Pikeurs and the Walsh!

I don't do a lot of mail order because it'd not so convenient to Canada so I don't have the problem of something arriving not as I imagined.
        Ugh, I hate the Greenhawk Elation breeches, too!

Although I do like Weatherbeeta blankets - they fit my guy quite well.

Comment

Smartpak blankets!!! Leaked like swiss cheese

Comment

Originally posted by shmon View Post
            Stubben calfskin stirrup leathers and Beval lined calfskin leathers! Why can't I find a nice pair of easily adjustable, soft leathers for my calfskin saddle?!

The Bevals were SO thick they were impossible to adjust. So I got the former to replace them - they are beautiful, easy to adjust, and soft - but the leather is already flaking off the leathers, and they are so narrow and floppy that my stirrups don't stay run up.
            Try CWD leathers, worth every penny IMO. Buttery soft calfskin, half holes, easily adjustable from the saddle and after about 7 years when I sold them with my saddle they were still in excellent condition, no loose stitching or flaking leather. I will never buy anything else. I found the Beval lined leathers a horror.

I have to agree with Scribbler, it seems like many of the products people are complaining about are the cheap versions. I buy Walsh halters, TS and Pikeur breeches and expensive high end tack and have been more than happy with just about everything. I always said I don't like ADT leather quality so not surprised that someone is complaining about them either. You get what you pay for in many situations and this thread just proves it, especially when it comes to Smartpak. Free shipping on cheap low quality merchandise is not such a bargain.

Comment

Ice vibe boots-the packs don't conform to the leg, so nothing really gets cold.

Cavalleria Toscana breeches- I haven't actually bought these, but I keep trying them on because they look pretty and the fabric is nice. The fit is really unfortunate. I really want to love them, but the fit is just not good.

Parlanti Essentual Boots- zippers useless after 2 months. I have to tape my new boots to ride in them. Tack store and Parlanti were incredibly unhelpful when I tried to discuss the issue with them.

Comment

Tredstep Giotto paddock boots. While pretty, they're wearing out at a quick clip, and I'm not hard on boots. And while they're perfectly comfortable to ride in, they're much less comfy on the ground than Ariats. Definitely not my favs.

Comment

Ice vibe boots. The cold packs stay cold for about 3 minutes. Definitely have buyer's remorse about that purchase.

Comment

HandsOn gloves. I was so excited about them. My horse haaaaaaaates them, no matter how little pressure I use. I use them to occasionally scrub his legs in the wash rack, and otherwise they're just collecting dust.

Comment

Originally posted by shmon View Post
                      Stubben calfskin stirrup leathers and Beval lined calfskin leathers! Why can't I find a nice pair of easily adjustable, soft leathers for my calfskin saddle?!

The Bevals were SO thick they were impossible to adjust. So I got the former to replace them - they are beautiful, easy to adjust, and soft - but the leather is already flaking off the leathers, and they are so narrow and floppy that my stirrups don't stay run up.
                      First I had nylon-lined leathers that were impossible to adjust because 1-they were so thick they didn't slide nicely through the stirrup bars and 2-nylon filled the holes. Then one day I noticed that one stirrup leather was suspiciously longer than the other and realized the nylon core had broke. They were not M Toulouse so not horribly expensive. Replaced those with double thick M Toulouse leathers that didn't have the nylon issue (bc no nylon core), but they were even thicker and harder to slide through the bars. So then I bought the Stubben ones. I got extra wide (not thick), so the stirrups stay up fine, but I'm pretty sure the color is lighter than what it looked like online and it hasn't darkened with oiling. And I'm experiencing the same flaking issues, but only on the inside surfaces and I figure who sees the stirrup leathers when you're riding. Otherwise, I like the way they feel and function and they don't seem to be stretching, even without a nylon core.
                      The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Originally posted by Peggy View Post

First I had nylon-lined leathers that were impossible to adjust because 1-they were so thick they didn't slide nicely through the stirrup bars and 2-nylon filled the holes. Then one day I noticed that one stirrup leather was suspiciously longer than the other and realized the nylon core had broke. They were not M Toulouse so not horribly expensive. Replaced those with double thick M Toulouse leathers that didn't have the nylon issue (bc no nylon core), but they were even thicker and harder to slide through the bars. So then I bought the Stubben ones. I got extra wide (not thick), so the stirrups stay up fine, but I'm pretty sure the color is lighter than what it looked like online and it hasn't darkened with oiling. And I'm experiencing the same flaking issues, but only on the inside surfaces and I figure who sees the stirrup leathers when you're riding. Otherwise, I like the way they feel and function and they don't seem to be stretching, even without a nylon core.
                        Try the County leathers.

Comment

Can I just say I haven't met a pair of lined leathers that I liked? I'd rather deal with stretching that the difficulty of trying to adust nylon lined leathers. Not to mention the safety factor. Those suckers are NEVER coming out in a quick release situation....

Edited to add: although I will say that some saddle design these days just really don't factor in any legit idea of a quick release. I'm riding in someone else's Stubben right now and having to switch out the leathers/stirrups (they have bendy stirrups, I can't ride in those). Let's just say I can barely get the lined leathers off/on...and it's just as hard to get my thin, non-lined child's leathers on. The stirrup bar is so tight to the tree and so long with the quick release down that it's kind of a joke....
                          Last edited by RugBug; Sep. 4, 2018, 02:23 PM.
                          Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                          Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

breechesandboatshoes.com

Comment

Can I just say how much I appreciate you all complaining about the Tredstep tall boots?

I had a pair of Ariats for YEARS and as I was walking to the ring in 2012 to compete at the APHA world show, the zipper (that had already been replaced once) snapped. Clearly, I couldn't scratch - it wasn't a weekend show and it was 7:30 AM so no vendors were open. I did what any of us would do - grabbed black duct tape and taped that boot on from knee to ankle.

ANYWAY, we did win and after celebrating and taking photos, we cut me out of the boot.

When I went to get new boots in early 2013, I was really impressed by the Tredstep line. They were slimming, they fit well, they were a good price point, etc. I was pissed off about the zippers in the Ariats I had - so Tredstep it was!

I've got permanent scars on my Achilles tendons and the tendons in the back of my knees from where these boots rub. I thought it was just me, and I'm cheap, so I haven't purchased new tall boots. I've taken to short boots and half chaps to ride normally in and then save the heel scarring tall boots for the show ring only - not even the warm-up, just the judged portions.

Guess what I'm buying myself for Christmas? I feel like an idiot.
                              Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

Comment

Kerrits Flex Full Seat Tights. I've owned mine for a little over a year, and the seams have busted, the material is fuzzy and frayed, and they just generally look gross. I'll wear them til they die and then just save my time and scour for Pikeurs on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by skipollo View Post
                                  SmartPak side reins. Now I bought them several years ago, so hopefully they've updated them. The quality itself was fine, but they only had one size (advertised as HORSE). They were so small they would only fit on ponies. I made them as loose as they could go, and my poor horse (16.2hh OTTB) had his nose cranked in. They immediately went back to SP.

SmartPak breeches, particularly the Pipers. Good price, low quality. The sizing is inconsistent between colors (28R in one color fits, 28R in another color I can't even pull up, etc.) Even the material between different colors is different. Some are slick, some are thick and cottony. The same thing applies to their newer Hadley line. Some are really pretty, some are awful, and it's so hit or miss with what you're going to get. I will never buy another pair because of this (I currently have several but am phasing them out as they wear out.)

Kincade full cheek keepers. It's Kincade leather. That sums it up.

Ecovet fly spray. This stuff really does keep the bugs off while I ride, but the lasting power doesn't seem to be any longer than a "normal" fly spray, and this stuff is RANK (even the "fresh scent.") I can't spray it in the barn because the horses start coughing and it stinks up the place for other boarders. No thank you.

HorseWare Amigo Bravo Plus with disc closure. The blanket is cute, but the disc closure is plastic and prone to breaking. The blanket also rubs my horse's shoulders because it's pretty narrow. What is with blanket designers making things narrow? They're designing them with big sport horses in mind, according to all of their ads. Make blankets that fit the horses you're advertising to! The stitching is cheap, overall it's a meh blanket that I got for a really good price. Next time I'll just buy a Rambo.
                                  Oh no, I just ordered 2 of the Amigo Bravo Plus! I think I am going to try an cancel it. They are on back order anyway. Wish I had seen this first

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie View Post
                                    Tredstep Giotto paddock boots. While pretty, they're wearing out at a quick clip, and I'm not hard on boots. And while they're perfectly comfortable to ride in, they're much less comfy on the ground than Ariats. Definitely not my favs.
                                    Though mine are over 7 years old and look great when clean and polished, I totally agree about the comfort factor. I like Ariats much better for walking around.

Add me in the group of Tredstep tall boot haters. Worst boots ever. Most uncomfortable. I finally sold them, practically new, for peanuts. But you simply cannot walk around in those things.
                                    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
                                    - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Any HDR tack - the worst!

MTG burned and scarred my horse

Greenhawk suede half chaps disintegrated when I took them out of the bag. I have a picture of the "suede" particles in a little pile on my floor.

Comment

Another vote against SmartPak Pipers - they get loose in the butt, stitching comes undone, sizing is super inconsistent (and I feel like they stretch out with time as I am always pulling them up!), material is inconsistent, and quality of dye is inconsistent (I received one pair of breeches that you could see white when the fabric stretched, awful!)

Aztec Diamond Apparel (namely their new breeches and any year of leggings) - the new breeches are an awful fit (I sized UP as I'm in between sizes and they were very tight in the knee and were too tight in the waist), the new elastic waistband on the breeches is nice, but the tight (front of the) knees, tight waistband, and it is loose in the back of the knee and legs. The leggings fit nice, but I have a few specific pairs that like to come undone in the stitching randomly, I have others that do not at all, their logo also seems to wear off quickly

Black Heart Equestrian breeches - same issues as with the Aztec Diamond breeches, they fit exactly the same except are even tighter in the waist, like they are made for people who never eat and constantly have a super flat stomach

Millbrook Leathers - stretch so incredibly much and rub wrong on the saddle, also has a fair amount of bulk under the skirt compared to my nylon-lined leathers

Comment

Another vote against SmartPak Pipers here too. I wanted to like them - I really did, but they were awful. Sizing is all over the board, proportions are weird, and they are not durable AT ALL. The last pair I tried had an embarrassing hole in the butt after only six rides. I was really hoping that they would be a home run because TS breeches are so dang expensive! You get what you pay for I guess.

Amigo Hero Blanket - my young guy tore a huge gaping hole in it in the first day he wore it. I tried repairing it, but it was only followed by five more the day after. It is definitely not worth the money - even if the mint/purple/black color combo is incredibly cute.

Another vote for EcoVet flyspray. That stuff is putrid no matter how far away you hold it from you and how far upwind you are. What is even worse is that the smell lingers.

Thinline reins - this is another item I wanted to love but just couldn't. They felt pretty good in the hand, but mine started cracking in three rides despite how careful I was about cleaning them frequently and properly. However, I still find myself using them since I paid a lot of money for them. I wouldn't buy again.

SmartPak polo wraps - I bought these years ago even though I am not a big polo wrap user. The wraps themselves are incredibly thick and short, which makes them almost impossible to wrap correctly and creates pressure points. I have heard that the thickness and lengths vary from color to color, so inconsistency is also a huge problem.

Weatherbeeta Fly Sheets - the worst fly sheets I have ever owned. The sizes seem to fit very weirdly in the chest and shoulder region, and the belly straps always rip off within the first day of use. I know it has to be the sheet itself because both of my other guys have kept their Amigo flysheets 100% intact. Fly sheets definitely aren't inexpensive, so I would rather not have the straps rip off and the company not replace them or offer to fix the sheet.

https://pembrokesandponies.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X