Sport Horse Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Driveway

Sale Spotlight

index
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Most disappointing products/purchases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on track under bandage pads (note - I do not have the 'no-bow' variety)
    they have actually bought me to tears. They bunch up, I get bunched up bits everywhere. In fact there are so many bunches, that im sure the pressure points from them outweigh any good the ceramic does. I keep meaning to replace them but forget about them until I need them again.

Im dissapointed ina pair of falcon jeffries rubber reins I bought recently too. They were sooo expensive, and they felt perfect in the shop, however I find riding in them, the pimple bits seem to trap moisture and make them more slippy than any other rein ive got, most of which were 1/20th of the price too. Its not even summer here, so its not liek its excessive sweat.

Comment

kiwichick definitely replace those with the no bows. They are nice. But my horse eats them....because he can't have nice things. My cat loves to sleep on the chewed ones though!

Comment

Thinking about this, it's mostly stuff I've cheaped out on and it didn't last. Greenhawk full seat breeches that shredded right through the fake suede in a year (two pairs did this). A $25 leather halter that ripped too easily.

Just go ahead and get the Pikeurs and the Walsh!

I don't do a lot of mail order because it'd not so convenient to Canada so I don't have the problem of something arriving not as I imagined.

Comment

Total Saddle Fit girth. So many people proclaimed it as a miracle girth. I have nothing against the product in general, but my horse hated it so much she went stark raving mad.
          Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by hairystockings View Post
            Tredstep tall boots. Worst tall boots I've ever owned. They ate the back of my ankles if I tried to walk in them at all, I couldn't even walk a course without getting blisters.
            It's interesting so many people hate their Tredsteps. I love the slim look and fit of mine, but ankle gel sock are an absolute MUST when I wear them, so I get where y'all are coming from.

Comment

A Petty Hate, but the cotton leads I got many years ago (Dover? Stateline?).

I was blinded by the fact they came in a combo of all 3 of "my" colors & gobsmacked when they arrived very flimsy & about 2' ( slight exaggeration ) long!
              I used the damned things, cursing steadily, & finally broke down & re-ordered some in a single color.

These came with the opposite problem - I swear they are near longeline length
              So uber-long I have been forced to use my long-forgotten skill of wrapping them (like they arrive) so they are a usable length. Most coiled is the lead for my 34" mini - probably 3/4 of its length wrapped back on itself.

*friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
              Steppin' Out 1988-2004
              Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
              Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by goodmorning View Post

Leather halfers for daily use. Some may find this strange, but I do not condition halters regularly enough to stay outside in the New England weather for daily turnout (mine may stay out days on end if weather permits). Even the Walsh halters get too dry. I'd much rather order a new crown piece every spring & use a nylon breakaway halter. Showing/trailering/shipping, all get the pretty leather halters that are kept inside the tack room or trailer.
                I always plug these halters (I swear I don't work for them) but the Royal King brand leather halters are great for turnout situations. They're only about $20, single ply so would break like a breakaway halter, and mine sits out on the fence year round for 12 hrs/day and basically on a shed row stall the rest of the time. I condition it maybe 3x a year and so far they seem to last a little over a year each. I'm conditioning the 2nd one a little bit better but even if I don't, it's not a big investment! For some reason I just can't get over how much I hate nylon halters.

Comment

SMBs. I have a set that slides down no mater how tight the velcro (yes, they're the correct size). I'd forgotten about that, but was recently reminded and am now just tempted to throw them away!

Piper Breeches. I had one pair that I liked how they fit while riding, but hated to wear them out of the saddle because I kept having to yank them up--way too long in the rise. Recently tried another pair in my size and couldn't even get the waist closed--they fit like they were two or three sizes smaller. Never again!

Weatherbeeta blankets. Newer ones--I had one I bought in the late 90s that wore like iron (still in use as a back up blanket!), but everything since about 2005 is garbage, IMO, and they've changed the cut so they don't even fit correctly anymore.

Comment

I'll chime in that I was also super disappointed in the SmartPak Piper breeches. I tried like 8 pairs and they were all awful. Terrible fit, wouldn't stay up. I so wanted to like them because I love the color options, but even that couldn't sway me into keeping the misery that is Piper breeches.
                    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                      Thinking about this, it's mostly stuff I've cheaped out on and it didn't last. Greenhawk full seat breeches that shredded right through the fake suede in a year (two pairs did this). A $25 leather halter that ripped too easily.

Just go ahead and get the Pikeurs and the Walsh!

I don't do a lot of mail order because it'd not so convenient to Canada so I don't have the problem of something arriving not as I imagined.
                      I will say I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I like my elation Chelsea breeches. I wouldn't pay full price for them, but at half off I don't mind the quality vs the on-sale price point.

I will say I'm happy I didn't buy the grooming gloves everyone raves about. I tried a pair from a barn mate and my TB HATES them. And he enjoys a hard curry!

Comment

Back on Track splint boots. I never really got the chance to see any positive result because they were such cheap quality that they fell apart in a month. Riding use only and and maybe an hour pre/post ride. So disappointing.

FITS breeches. Let me say that I LOVE my FITS breeches but the stitching in the crotch came loose in FOUR pairs in under a year. This is unacceptable for the cost.

Equifits open fronts. Mind you, I haven't tried the D-Teqs but the Exp2's had such an awkward fit/design that I would never buy from a company that released such a product. I also almost bought a pair of exp3 fetlock boots but the velcro wouldn't fasten correctly. Overpriced, inconsistent, poor, "its a fad" product in my opinion.

SmartPak pipers and I was so relieved to see so many others say so as well. I wanted to love them so badly. I've seen plenty of women who look amazing in them and I adore the color options. The pair I received felt like thick, constricting cotton that sagged below my butt crack WITH a belt.

Pretty much anything Noel Asmar. Ok, once again, let me start by saying I love my sun shirt/baselayers but everything is sooooo OVERPRICED for the POOR quality. I will only buy their stuff on sale for under $40 because I don't feel like theyre worth anything more.

Comment

The products I was most disappointed with were the Wintec regular and the Wintec wide GP saddles.

I thought, when I bought them, that I had found a solution of fitting the horses I ride (lesson horses.) Then I tried changing the gullet plate, and I had to have my husband help me. Spending over 20 minutes wrestling with the saddle to change the gullet was a giant pain, and then they did not fit the horses I ride very well (especially those with WIDE backs which was a huge disappointment with the Wintec Wide.)

The worst part of the Wintec Wide was that it was so very thick under my knees. I felt like I was doing splits instead of riding a horse. I just could not get my leg on a horse with a wide, flat back when I rode in the Wintec Wide. Plus they were so slippery it was harder to keep my seat in the correct place.

At least both my Wintecs sold pretty quickly on consignment.

Comment

Stubben calfskin stirrup leathers and Beval lined calfskin leathers! Why can't I find a nice pair of easily adjustable, soft leathers for my calfskin saddle?!

The Bevals were SO thick they were impossible to adjust. So I got the former to replace them - they are beautiful, easy to adjust, and soft - but the leather is already flaking off the leathers, and they are so narrow and floppy that my stirrups don't stay run up.
                            "These are my principles. If you do not like them, I have others." --Groucho Marx

Comment

shmon try the CWD leathers. I prefer Childeric, but they are thicker and hard to adjust. Also tried Voltaire but were so easy to move I almost lost my stirrup off the bar on a demo saddle. Finally got some CWD ones, and while they aren't going to last as long as the Childerics, I think they are a good compromise.

c0608524 I believe those gloves are going to have a softer curry option if they aren't out already. Probably more targeted to the small animal market, but maybe something to consider? They are definitely easier to use in spring shedding season or for bathing than some alternatives. That said, my horse has yet to meet any type of curry that he doesn't like. But I tried them with my cat who cannot stand being brushed (but needs to be), and I was surprised that she was tolerant of them (the regular ones).

Comment

I thought it was just me that disliked the Piper breeches! I have worn size 30 breeches forever. Ordered a pair of 30 pipers, too small. I lost 15 lbs, so dug them out of the closet triumphantly. Still could not get them on. WTH? Other brands I have no problem with fit.

Comment

I'll add on to the Pipers train. Nope. I got SO excited about the pocket size and location with my first pair, and bought 3-4 more before realizing that the longevity wasn't there (and the fit was weird, but I just figured that was me - turns out Ariats, Pikeurs, and Grand Prixs all fit just fine, so....)

I'll also second the Beval nylon lined calfskin leathers. Prestige leathers are still my go-to, but the Toulouse were far, far better than Beval and at a much more palatable price.

Comment

I like my Smartpak Piper breeches quite a lot - and would be happy to adopt more, if any of you haters want to be rid of them in my size!

I have been frankly disappointed in all my Back on Track purchases. For all the glowing reviews and 'miracle product' touts, I saw zero difference. And I tried several products over several horses in several years. I really wanted to see results, too.

??????

Comment

Originally posted by ecileh View Post

Weatherbeeta blankets. Newer ones--I had one I bought in the late 90s that wore like iron (still in use as a back up blanket!), but everything since about 2005 is garbage, IMO, and they've changed the cut so they don't even fit correctly anymore.
                                      Oh man, this one too! Although I hated the ones in the late 90s/early 00s, too. They NEVER fit any of my horses properly.

Along the same lines, Schneiders Tack blankets are always a huge disappointment. I repeatedly get suckered into purchasing them because of price + diversity in offerings (the have a wide variety of products in all sizes from mini to draft). But I would say at least 50% of the blankets I've purchased from them had some major quality control issue right out of the box. Broken hardware, sewing and assembly mistakes, missized/misshapen, lack of waterproofing... It's a shame because they are the one place that reliably carries blankets in donkey sizes that won't break the bank, but I repeatedly re-learn the lesson that I'm better off spending a little more and skipping the run around with customer service.
                                      Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Kez rugs. We used them for years but in the end I could not stomach the crap clips used on the leg straps. Even with care and using wd40 like sprays on them, they would get to the point of not opening.

I bought some online at nearly half the price. The clips are 3 times the size and thickness. I smile each time I go to undo them.

Kerrits riding tights which I admit I bought 2nd hand, but I was told they were only worn a few times. Very quickly the material looked like it had been slashed with a knife.

I can't remember the brand but some leather boots I bought once that after wearing 6 times looked like they had been worn for 6 years.

Cetrigen as far as I can tell after 5 hours it attracts the flies to wounds.
                                        It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

1. Smartpak breeches , agree with all of the above. Such hard poky uncomfortable material!

2. TC senior. Had our 7yo working hard keeper on hay plus Timothy pellets plus ABC supplements and he looked amazing. Switched to TC senior and within a months turned from black to brown, coat dull, looks truly awful! And his teeth turned brown

Comment

Working...
                                          X