• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Horse Sales Sites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse Sales Sites

What have you found to be the best online sales site to start locating show hunters to buy?

Facebook has been much more fruitful for me this go-round than any one site. For higher end horses, BigEq and The Exchange
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Following this thread... I've found that a lot of sellers have decided to use Facebook rather than pay for ads on traditional sales sites. While I love browsing through sales ads on my feed on any random day, FB obviously has its limitations; I would much rather be able to go to a traditional site for a number of reasons: 1) search parameters, 2) organized listings where I can scroll through and *know* I'm not missing something or have a thread from 3 years ago pop up, 3) having all horses in one spot.
      I miss the days of Equine.com!
      I've found that people still use DreamHorse.com , BigEq.com (higher price points), Warmblood-Sales.com (pretty popular in my neck of the woods) and some use EquineNow.com

Comment

Allusion is not wrong about how much FB sucks for this... but it does seem to be where more of the promising leads pop up
        ~Veronica

Comment

Got my star through Facebook. I know it can be tedious (or worse) at times but there are some nice horses on there. And of course Big Eq and Exchange Hunter Jumper are loaded with horses if you can't find the right one on Fb.

Em
          "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

I found FB is the most useful if you're having trouble finding what you're after on sites like BigEq and The Exchange for making ISO adds. When I was horse shopping in May I made an ISO add on a facebook group called Hunter Jumper Horses for Sale which is large and super active with a lot of high quality animals. If you write a specific, detailed post that's not longer than a short paragraph, you'll get a lot of great leads. Be specific about size, age, price range, color, gender, location, ability whatever you've got and let people come to you. I was inundated with good options doing it that way and people locally showed up on it with horses for me to try since I was trying to avoid traveling too far. I also find putting an actual # on your budget is much more helpful than saying "low 5 figures" because that means different things to a lot of people (is that $15k or $35k?). People who put a # on their adds tend to get more viable options than those who put a whimsical range on it.

You'll still get plenty of idiots who can't read or who think your preferences like "must be within the OH/KY/IN area" are flexible enough to include their horses in Houston, TX. Or your size preference for "5'2" rider seeking small horse" means "here's my 17.2h behemoth you'll love him" is not a waste of everyone's time. But mostly it resulted in a lot of good leads.

Comment

I have had the most success on Facebook. When horse shopping it IS a pain in a butt. Having to go through thousands of horses to find something that is even remotely what you are looking for. When selling, you get a LOT of the same questions over and over, even if they are in the ad. And a TON of tirekickers. But for buying I know a lot of horses that are listed on FB sales groups aren't even ON any of the sites. Sadly, that seems to be the norm at least around here.

Comment

Originally posted by hairystockings View Post
                I found FB is the most useful if you're having trouble finding what you're after on sites like BigEq and The Exchange for making ISO adds. When I was horse shopping in May I made an ISO add on a facebook group called Hunter Jumper Horses for Sale which is large and super active with a lot of high quality animals. If you write a specific, detailed post that's not longer than a short paragraph, you'll get a lot of great leads. Be specific about size, age, price range, color, gender, location, ability whatever you've got and let people come to you. I was inundated with good options doing it that way and people locally showed up on it with horses for me to try since I was trying to avoid traveling too far. I also find putting an actual # on your budget is much more helpful than saying "low 5 figures" because that means different things to a lot of people (is that $15k or $35k?). People who put a # on their adds tend to get more viable options than those who put a whimsical range on it.

You'll still get plenty of idiots who can't read or who think your preferences like "must be within the OH/KY/IN area" are flexible enough to include their horses in Houston, TX. Or your size preference for "5'2" rider seeking small horse" means "here's my 17.2h behemoth you'll love him" is not a waste of everyone's time. But mostly it resulted in a lot of good leads.
                If you post "ISO 16.2+ gelding in Texas" I guarantee you the first response will be a 15.1 mare in Alberta. I guarantee

But yes, ISO ads are not a bad way to get leads. But they will make you worry about whether schools are still teaching students to read based on the responses
                ~Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by hairystockings View Post
                  I also find putting an actual # on your budget is much more helpful than saying "low 5 figures" because that means different things to a lot of people (is that $15k or $35k?).
                  ^^^This! As someone who is casually perusing those FB ads daily while my trainer is doing her thing the traditional way, it's difficult as an amateur on a tight budget to forward potential prospects to her if it's not even in the ballpark, price-wise. I have no interest in wasting her time, my time or the seller's time inquiring about one that I won't be able to make happen.

Also, I see a ton of ads that include a lovely description with promising photos but then say, "Please PM for video". Maybe there is a specific reason for NOT putting a video directly in the Ad but it's frustrating for shoppers like me. I'm reluctant to contact a seller on my own since I do have a competent trainer. If i'm going to forward one to her that I like enough to ask her to pursue on my behalf, I'm only going to do that with all the relevant information available in one message to her. It makes no sense for me to send her on a wild goose chase for video of something that may not be at all appropriate for me. Consequently, I just skip those ads that don't include the video right there in the ad for all to see. That may be something to consider when you post yours.
                  http://www.poochpaddock.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Po...4588358?ref=mf

Comment

Originally posted by PoochPaddock View Post

Also, I see a ton of ads that include a lovely description with promising photos but then say, "Please PM for video".

I think it's largely laziness or computer ineptitude.

The worse is that if you have to ask for a video, then you're in the awkward sport of responding back and saying you don't like the horse/you're not interested. If the video was in the ad, you never had to be put in that position in the first place.

I've started giving up on ads that don't say the horse's age, height, gender, and location. The number of adds missing one of those things is ASTOUNDING. I could write a book.
                    ~Veronica

Comment

I likewise had success in the FB ads - skim the responses to the ISO ads, you will find a lot of options, or post your own ISO ad. But mostly, you just have to keep checking all the sources, because you can't predict what will be posted where. I regularly checked BigEq, the Exchange, warmblood-sales, dreamhorse, and the FB groups. And even then, the first time it took me 6 months to find a horse, and the second time I found the perfect horse posted in a FB group, an hour down the road from me, and he was standing in my barn less than a week after I tried him!

As far as people putting their budget in a more vague "low five figures" or "lower mid fives" I have always assumed people are concerned about the $20k horse suddenly becoming a $25k horse if you say your budget is $25k. And, there may be flexibility in the prices or the budget so for some people it may be worth sifting through the responses with a less specific number posted.

It drives me insane when people don't post video. EVERYONE is going to want to see video these days and with iphones there is no excuse for not having any. Some people don't want to figure out how to post it, but it wastes a lot of time for both sides when it isn't posted.

Comment

For those worried about inquiring on horses being out of their budget when no price is posted, I don't think that is a bad thing. I mean I inquired on one that was grossly out of my budget (more than 3x it) but even the seller admitted that a lot of horses with similar experiences were in my budget. I think there after they did include a comment that his price was over $80k. And I think he's still for sale so I don't feel too bad.

Em
                        "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post

I think it's largely laziness or computer ineptitude.

The worse is that if you have to ask for a video, then you're in the awkward sport of responding back and saying you don't like the horse/you're not interested. If the video was in the ad, you never had to be put in that position in the first place.

I've started giving up on ads that don't say the horse's age, height, gender, and location. The number of adds missing one of those things is ASTOUNDING. I could write a book.

If it's laziness, I would think it takes a lot more effort on the part of the seller to respond directly to each individual request for a video thru the PM feature on FB. I'd not chalked it up to laziness at all for that reason. Who wants to respond to 50 individual requests to which you have to repeatedly attach the same video?

My assumption has thus far been that there must be something worth passing on in said videos for it not to be posted publicly. Or, perhaps there is some "unknown to the average amateur buyer" reason for not posting one with the ad, although this seems unlikely given the number of ads that DO offer unsolicited video, good bad or ugly.

Comment

If it's laziness, I would think it takes a lot more effort on the part of the seller to respond directly to each individual request for a video thru the PM feature on FB. I'd not chalked it up to laziness at all for that reason. Who wants to respond to 50 individual requests to which you have to repeatedly attach the same video?

My assumption has thus far been that there must be something worth passing on in said videos for it not to be posted publicly. Or, perhaps there is some "unknown to the average amateur buyer" reason for not posting one with the ad, although this seems unlikely given the number of ads that DO offer unsolicited video, good bad or ugly.
                            People are so insane I can't even begin to fathom. About a month ago a professional posts a photo of a horse. That's it. Just a photo. Says DM for information. About 20 people comment "age, height, location, video." The seller goes through each one replying "DM sent" instead of just ANSWERING THOSE BASIC QUESTIONS. The thread goes on for days like this. By the end at least 3 dozen people asked for the same information and it never occurred to this PROFESSIONAL to put it in the ad. No, she'd rather send a jillion DMs and then post on the listing "DM sent" than save everyone hassle and put this basic information in the ad itself. This is so inane I really want to find the screen shot to show you because I promise you this exact thing happened.

If you didn't already hate people, horse shopping on FB would make you.

I think a lot of people are really incredibly lazy. They throw ads up on FB without thinking through things. There's no "form" that makes you list basic stuff like age, height, breed, location etc. So sellers put up the stuff they think is important but often just omit or forget about really important information.

My suspicion is that a lot of people don't know how to link to videos on a FB post. Or they're posting from their phone and the video is on their desktop or something. I don't get the impression it's a conscious effort to keep the videos private in most cases. I generally think it's laziness, ineptitude, or just not thinking to do it.
                            ~Veronica

Comment

If you didn't already hate people, horse shopping on FB would make you.
                              YES! Exactly.

Another of my favorite observations is the description that says "Currently showing at 3'" or "Currently showing at 3'6" then they only show a flatting video or video of the horse doing the 2'6" baby greens or modified adults. SMH. People are odd. Or the REALLY, REALLY blurry video that pretty much shows you nothing. Or even the far away video taken from the in-gate rather than from the side, so you really cannot tell much at all.

I could go on all day....some folks need a marketing 101 lesson.

Comment

YES! Exactly.

Another of my favorite observations is the description that says "Currently showing at 3'" or "Currently showing at 3'6" then they only show a flatting video or video of the horse doing the 2'6" baby greens or modified adults. SMH. People are odd. Or the REALLY, REALLY blurry video that pretty much shows you nothing. Or even the far away video taken from the in-gate rather than from the side, so you really cannot tell much at all.

I could go on all day....some folks need a marketing 101 lesson.
                                How about the video rotated on its side, sent in a format so that you can't rotate it to view it clearly. I HATE PEOPLE
                                ~Veronica

Comment

People are so insane I can't even begin to fathom. About a month ago a professional posts a photo of a horse. That's it. Just a photo. Says DM for information. About 20 people comment "age, height, location, video." The seller goes through each one replying "DM sent" instead of just ANSWERING THOSE BASIC QUESTIONS. The thread goes on for days like this. By the end at least 3 dozen people asked for the same information and it never occurred to this PROFESSIONAL to put it in the ad. No, she'd rather send a jillion DMs and then post on the listing "DM sent" than save everyone hassle and put this basic information in the ad itself. This is so inane I really want to find the screen shot to show you because I promise you this exact thing happened.
                                  I actually think this is something else. Facebook has been sporadic in enforcing the policy of not advertising animals for sale. I gather that once they take a few of your ads down and give you a warning, doing it again can result in you being banned. Some of these people might not be taking the risk anymore after a warning. That is my only explanation for such illogical behavior.

Comment

• Original Poster

So what is the reason for advertising prices in the mid-whatever figures? So that price can be quoted according to how many commissions end up happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                                      So what is the reason for advertising prices in the mid-whatever figures? So that price can be quoted according to how many commissions end up happening?
                                      Probably. At least, from what I have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by joiedevie99 View Post

I actually think this is something else. Facebook has been sporadic in enforcing the policy of not advertising animals for sale. I gather that once they take a few of your ads down and give you a warning, doing it again can result in you being banned. Some of these people might not be taking the risk anymore after a warning. That is my only explanation for such illogical behavior.
                                        They are looking at pictures not only words. I had an as for a Rambo flagged because I used a photo of it on my horse. This ad had several pictures of the horse, just NO USEFUL INFO about said horse!!
                                        ~Veronica

Comment

Working...
                                        X