• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Part-lease dilemma - am I being unreasonable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part-lease dilemma - am I being unreasonable?

Due to my packed schedule and wanting a little relief from some of my horse bills, I have my horse in a “1/3 lease” situation in which my leaser rides eight times per month. I was originally looking for a half-leaser to split care costs, but this girl is a great fit for my guy so I agreed to the 1/3 lease instead. I charge her a (I think) very reasonable fixed price of $200/month which works out to $25/ride. She also has the opportunity to take lessons on him when her schedule allows.

My leaser also has a busy work schedule so when we began the lease, she asked that I charge her per ride rather than a fixed cost per month, in case she had to miss rides due to work. However, as I already felt I was giving her quite favourable lease terms and am essentially also paying the opportunity cost of not finding a full half-leaser who would pay a higher monthly fee, I indicated that I preferred to stick to a minimum flat fee. Anything below that does not feel worth my while, honestly.

Recently, between the insane heat wave that has descended on our region and a minor bout of cellulitis for my horse, there has been a period of ten days when we have been unable to ride. My leaser is now indicating that she does not want to pay the minimum fee for this month as she most likely won’t be able to ride 8 times before the end of July. She says she wants to ensure she only wants to pay for the rides she is able to do “under the circumstances.” Am I being unreasonable to still expect the full 1/3 lease fee? To my mind, I made it clear upon starting that I consider this a monthly part-lease, not a per-ride situation – and it’s to be expected that, within reason, minor situations might crop up that prevent us from riding for short periods – that’s horses!

I did not have her sign a lease contract that covers this situation – more fool me – so I’m looking for guidance as to whether I’m being too strict with my interpretation of this situation, or whether I should give her a break.
    Thanks in advance!

I suggest you go ahead and write up a lease. It's not too late. Put in exactly what you expect. I wouldn't want to do the pay-as-you-go plan, either. You're not in the horse rental business. She may be a good match for your horse, but if she balks about this, I'd consider other leasees. Good luck.

Now, for the days your horse could NOT be ridden, you may want to extend her riding time a little to cover that, but tell her she can pick up extra days, maybe, instead. She missed, what, maybe two or three days because of that.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I am from the other side of the World and we do not lease horses like you do over there. Usually if you lease a horse here you have the whole horse. In that case I would say you pay if the horse is sound or not.

In your case in this situation cellulitis has nothing to do with how the leaser has ridden the horse. I would give her her money so as she can spend it to ride another horse. She leases so as she does not have the same responsibilities as an owner. She leases so as she can ride. She would be better off spending her money on lessons on school horses than on a lease on a horse she cannot ride. JMHO.
      It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

You are not being unreasonable. It is a monthly flat fee, not a per ride charge, and in that situation she has to take the good with the bad. I have done a lot of leasing and half leasing in the last few years, and never would have expected the owner to cut me a break because my schedule got bad or the horse had a few off days! You already rejected a per-ride arrangement, she's just trying to revisit it. At this point you may want to get her to sign something in writing that sets out your terms, otherwise you may have to continually revisit these discussions!

Comment

I think a lease contract would cover whether leaser would pay during bouts of illness up to how long? Heat wave doesn't count. Cellulitis does

Also of course monthly leases typically specify either party can quit at any time.

Really negotiating this depends on how much you want to keep this specfifc leaser.

Since there is no contract I would give her a break for this month, IE suspend the lease. Then start up with a lease agreement in place that you both sign off on. Im sure there are lots of models on line.

Comment

[QUOTE=SuzieQNutter;n10168473 She leases so as she does not have the same responsibilities as an owner. She leases so as she can ride. She would be better off spending her money on lessons on school horses than on a lease on a horse she cannot ride. JMHO.[/QUOTE]

Actually, over here the whole point of leasing or part-leasing is that you do treat it more like temporary ownership responsibilities, unless another arrangement is agreed to. What you describe is like renting a school horse, and if she wants to pay per ride, then lessons on a school horse is exactly what she should do. A lease does not guarantee you that the horse can be ridden on your days -- if it rains and the barn doesn't have a covered or an indoor, the owner certainly doesn't owe the lessee a partial refund, and it is the same for lameness issues. Those types of issues are covered by month to month lease terms or termination provisions. It is not the owner's responsibility to guarantee her a certain number of rides per month, although certainly in unusual circumstances I've had owners share extra time to make up for lost time, but they were not obligated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison View Post

Actually, over here the whole point of leasing or part-leasing is that you do treat it more like temporary ownership responsibilities, unless another arrangement is agreed to. What you describe is like renting a school horse, and if she wants to pay per ride, then lessons on a school horse is exactly what she should do. A lease does not guarantee you that the horse can be ridden on your days -- if it rains and the barn doesn't have a covered or an indoor, the owner certainly doesn't owe the lessee a partial refund, and it is the same for lameness issues. Those types of issues are covered by month to month lease terms or termination provisions. It is not the owner's responsibility to guarantee her a certain number of rides per month, although certainly in unusual circumstances I've had owners share extra time to make up for lost time, but they were not obligated to.
              Thank you
              It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

I don't think you are being unreasonable; the weather is something you can't control and is part of the risk. That being said--please write up a contract. I agree she's getting a GREAT deal (I did a 2x week lease for $650/month, she could ride more if I couldnt, it was about a 1/3 lease)

Comment

I don’t think you are being at all unreasonable. You made it very clear from the start that you didn’t want to pay per ride. She has 8 rides a month and can still ride. It’s her schedule that’s stopping that now that the horse is sound. Get a contract and if she won’t sign then it might be best to find someone else. If you give in and let her pay by ride this moth she’ll likely try doing it again or switch to that permanently.

Comment

At my self care barn a big reason people part lease is to get the chores done. You pay $200 and clean, feed, set up breakfast, on the days you ride. Some owners are happy to just do an exchange of ride time for chores, especially if they have a good job that keeps them very busy, more money than time.

Some horse owners insist that if you can't get to the barn, you still have to arrange chores coverage on those days, which could mean paying one of the free lance barn helpers.

No just skipping days. It really is full responsibility on the days you ride.

I would not agree to pay per ride because you want the cash plus you want to know horse is being ridden on your off days.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison View Post

^^This. At one point in my life I was taking weekly lessons. It was all I had time or money for back then. When the instructor tried to shift the terms of the arrangement to function more like a lease, but without any contract, by asking me to "chip in" for clipping, blanketing, extra feed, etc. I left.

There are pros and cons in both scenarios for both parties. It sounds like in this situation, both lessor and lessee had different things in mind, and now need to sit down and be sure they have agreement on how situations like this will be handled and write up a contract to that effect.
                      "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

As the owner, you are free to set the terms. I don't think it's unreasonable for you to insist on the full $200 (most leases are a flat fee, not a per ride basis, that's pretty traditional). But, I think that it is a red flag that she is "nickel and diming" you over not having been able to ride the horse for a couple of days. It tells me that she may not be as invested in the lease (or appreciate the lease) as much as you would hope. Or, alternatively, she may just not really understand how leases work--because there is definitely a basic level of commitment expected.

Here's what I would do. I would consider agreeing to her request this month, but then I would look for a new person to lease the horse and terminate her lease at that time, since she is apparently not comfortable with the terms you have requested. Obviously, on the next go round, I would have a contract and spell it out in writing what the monthly fee is and what happens if the horse is unrideable (or there are adverse weather conditions) so that there are no surprises or awkward moments for either party.

Alternatively, you could just say, "no, we agreed on a monthly fee, I don't control weather conditions, and a minor health issue or lost shoe or whatever is a normal, to-be-expected, part of leasing a horse." I don't know anyone who has ever given a break on a horse lease price because of the weather or a few days of a minor health issue. (A more consistent unsoundness would be a different story.)

I know you liked this person because she seemed like a great fit for your horse, but if she's not really committed to the lease it doesn't seem like this is a good situation overall.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you so much for these great replies. I think I will go Scribbler 's route of eating the cost of a ride or two this month, then writing up a contract to be signed starting in August making the terms re. injury/inclement conditions very clear; if she is reticent, we'll end it there. Really appreciate the feedback!

Comment

IMO a less than half lease is a glorified rental. I seem to have a differing opinion from everyone else but I feel when someone less than half (or even regular half) leases a horse they typically do not want all that horse ownership entails, they just want more rides than a weekly lesson.

I've only run into this situation once but I was given a ride on another horse without even asking when my lease horse came up lame. Since it sounds like you have only own one horse, I would just give additional rides to make up for time lost. Even if you disagree morally, if you want to keep this leaser for your horse I would do it just to not leave a sour taste and then have her sign a contract so this situation doesn't happen again.

Comment

I’m going to disagree slightly Once you start getting below 1/2 lease the terms start varying a lot by situation so I dont think you can compare it to a regular lease and call what she wants unfair or unreasonable on its face.

If this were a school horse lease for what is essentially 2 rides per week if the horse couldn’t be ridden for 10 days they would likely swap in another horse or credit her the money towards the next month if there was nothing to ride. That may be her experience. Honestly when you’re leasing at less than 1/2 what you’re really paying for is the ride. In a school lease If it’s too hot and you can’t ride, you also may not have to pay. The idea being to generate new customers and people who have to pay for something they’re not getting tend to stop being customers.

Now you’re not a business and your horse isn’t a lesson horse so it’s different, but it might not feel different to her. And you know she doesn’t like paying for something she’s not getting because she wanted to pay by the ride to start with.

Whether you want to end the lease over this is up to you. Do you have other options? Could you give her additional days next month? If your priority is getting a fixed amount each month towards the expenses, then giving her 2 extra make up days next month doesn’t really change that it just cuts into your riding time.

Comment

Also, having ridden at a lot of lesson barns in my younger days, many if not most of the horseless hoarde were very invested in the welfare of the horses and very attached. Most of them didn’t own horses because they couldn’t afford it. Just because they weren’t willing to pay for rides they weren’t getting didn’t mean they treated the school horses poorly or were less than invested in them. Most of them spoiled them rotten.
                                So contrary to the poster above I wouldn’t judge someone’s care for my horse based on wether they were willing to pay money for him even when they couldn’t ride.

Comment

$200/month for 8 rides on a nice horse is a bargain. Sounds like you have a good plan going forward.

One thing you may want to explain to her is that having her miss rides is not a benefit to you, it is a cost and obligation, because then you are obligated to take time to make arrangements to get the horse exercised. Having a leaser with an erratic schedule and especially one that nickels and dimes like this can be more trouble than it's worth.

Weather is not under your control and you should not owe her anything for that, honestly, or other issues with facilities etc. After all, you didn't get to ride either.

If she is very tight for funds, then she needs to own that and figure out how else she can give you value - things like being very responsible and very regular in the riding times, taking over chores like tack cleaning or prepping feed, whatever. There are a lot of ways she could do that that would be beneficial. If instead she's tight for time, then she needs to realize that sometimes there are financial and personal costs to that.
                                  If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

• Original Poster

NCRider, I agree that the situation is nebulous and not exactly standardized, so a contract will definitely benefit us both. And indeed, she appears to very doting in her care of my beloved guy and seems to get a lot of enjoyment from him.

poltroon, that is an excellent point re. the time vs. funds tension. thanks for the reflections!

Comment

Oddly enough the way a part leaser can also give you value is to be available on short notice to take over one of *your* rides when *you* get hung up and unavaliable. Sounds like that's not in the cards for her on her schedule but that's the kind of thing a good penniless-and-horseless partner can do to increase her value to the owner. Her sensation that because she's paying money that she's the customer is actually backwards for this particular arrangement. I say this as someone who has been both the lessor and the lessee at various times.
                                      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I don't think you're being unreasonable, but I would definitely offer her extra rides to make up for the time missed, just to keep everyone happy.

Comment

Working...
                                        X