Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

BHCH10
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

How do you carry your phone when you ride?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a neoprene holder which I strap to my calf. It's convenient to reach and doesn't interfere with riding.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyJealousy View Post

Report back to us! I like the looks of that thing!
      REPORTING BACK:

So it's actually much nicer than I'd thought $11 would buy on Amazon. Clip has been nice and tight, however I agree with the above poster on the advice to wear a belt and just clip it to that. I ride in Kerrits a lot in the summer and it's been fine thus far though.. It has a little bit of bulk that might drop although I'll admit I don't have that problem yet. The "leather" is likely not as advertised but will be good enough for me, withstanding dirt and sweat. Color is fine, I'm sure it will withstand sweating and horse bathing much better than actual Italian leather would.

Is it even genuine leather? Probably not, but then I see companies promoting this type of product as "vegan" so.. *shrugs* Whatever. It's better than shoving my phone down my boot as I've been doing

PS: It looks just like the pic. It's actually very light, just wish it was a quarter-inch thinner. I shouldn't complain, I am very happy with this item.
      Last edited by Fiona_785; Jun. 17, 2018, 12:13 AM. Reason: i

Comment

I have had this for several years now http://reikowireless.com/Brands/IPHO...-IN-BLACK.html
        I have an iphone 7 in an otterbox defender and it just fits. You do have to wear a belt with it. It is very secure and I like it better than the otterbox clip

Comment

I have a neoprene case to strap to my arm or leg, but it always flops around and falls down, gets in the way and becomes a distraction. I keep mine in a back pocket of jeans, front zip pocket of breeches, or (most frequently) shoved in the top of my right boot or half chap.

My phone is one of the smallest smartphones I could find, I hate the big bulky ones and specifically shop for a phone that fits in a breech pocket.
          A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.
          ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

Originally posted by kaya842 View Post
            Those of you who have the wristlet - do you worry about injuring your back by landing on your phone? Or even breaking it by landing on it (in the event of a fall)? I seem to always land on my back but I love those wristlets.
            Many, many years ago, when flip phones were the going concern, I used to clip my phone to the small of my back. Then I had a freak accident involving a sale horse and a concrete block wall. Phone shattered, I was concussed and also got some nice bone chips on my tailbone as a souvenir.

I now use one the of the arm band phone holders
            ??????that were developed for runners it works pretty well, but it's a pain if you expect to have incoming calls or be checking your work email on the fly.
            Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

Wait, so no one just tucks their phone down the top of their breeches? That's what everyone around here does. Holders have gone the way of the dinosaur. (Of course it means you have to wear your shirt tucked in, but I can live with that). It's very convenient if you want to use the camera etc.

Comment

This band is the best. I can even jump etc in it and forget it's on.

https://bandiwear.com/collections/classic-pocket-belts
                If you like the distance you see; continue forward. If you don't; stay still and the shorter distance works out. ~GM~

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by kcmel View Post
                  Wait, so no one just tucks their phone down the top of their breeches? That's what everyone around here does. Holders have gone the way of the dinosaur. (Of course it means you have to wear your shirt tucked in, but I can live with that). It's very convenient if you want to use the camera etc.
                  I do that now, but I'm a sweater and my entire phone ends up drenched. :-/

Comment

I just have a cheap armband from Amazon that I put right below my knee. Works great.

Sometimes I'll use a Fitletic belt but I don't like it as much as the band.
                    It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarCubes View Post

Oh yeah, forgot about those! I also have a pair of Kerrits riding tights that have a cell phone pocket on the side, but again, I'd be worried of landing on it wrong :/
                      I have the same from Kerrits. I just know if I fell off I would land on that phone and hurt it and me!

Comment

I don't know, if you land on an object it's going to hurt, possibly cause damage to you and/or the object, but overall, I put the side of my thigh as about the lowest risk location after my butt, except my phone does not always stay reliably in the back pocket like it stays in the yoga pants side pocket. So if the phone has to stay on me, that spot is the clear winner (and the phone needs to stay on since I ride alone and use the road id app)
                        Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

• Original Poster

Okay guys, I used my husband's runner's belt last night and it was genius. I was able to fit my iphone 7 plus no problem, and honestly it felt like it wasn't even there. I didn't notice it the entire ride. I wore it so the phone was on my front side since I usually fall on my back. It worked great!

Comment

Originally posted by HeyJealousy View Post
                            Okay guys, I used my husband's runner's belt last night and it was genius. I was able to fit my iphone 7 plus no problem, and honestly it felt like it wasn't even there. I didn't notice it the entire ride. I wore it so the phone was on my front side since I usually fall on my back. It worked great!
                            Do you know what brand it is? I want to get one!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by rockonxox View Post

Do you know what brand it is? I want to get one!
                              Let me see if I can figure it out. I think he got it on Amazon. I shall report back!

ETA:
                              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

http://www.amphipod.com/products/hol...flow-endurance

I try to use this because if I put it in the saddle pad pocket and the horse runs off I am SOL.

Comment

Has anyone tried the Flip Belt? I saw it recommended on COTH a couple years ago and want to get one... just never got around to it. I don't like the thought of clipping something onto a belt because schooling tights don't necessarily have belt loops and if they do I find that phones on clips are heavy enough that it can make schooling tights droop. I also go hiking and those shorts don't have belts for a phone clip so I'm seriously considering a Flip Belt with the zipper option (or something similar that lays flat just like it does).
                                  I use a flipbelt for my iphone 7, it fits great and is easy to get in and out. I don't know if a larger phone would be as easy to get in and out, though. I position the phone so it's on the front of my body. I also can fit a granola bar and my truck key in the belt for if I'm trail riding off-property.

I used to use a lifeproof case and armband which was very secure for the phone, but I really can't stand armbands so I would put it at the top of my calf. The problem with that was the band would catch on the bottom of my saddle flap sometimes, but for people who don't have this problem and only need to carry the phone, the lifeproof case/clip might be a good option.

Comment

Ovation's Aerowick tights have pockets on both thighs that are great for phones. The tights themselves are wicked comfortable and come in a large variety of colors. Phones stay secure on the thigh and are easily accessible in case of emergency.

I also felt the same way about needing a phone with me while I rode since I'm always alone and like to hack out on my young horse. My SO ended up getting me an iWatch for Christmas in case I got dumped I could call from my watch. There's also an SOS feature on the iWatch (I think it's a new iOS feature) that will send emergency services - that's the main reason I wanted one. ALSO it has an "equestrian sports" activity tracker that's pretty neat.

When I was a working student I had a leather belt clip. I also had a much smaller iPhone then though so that's probably out of the question with a gigantic phone.

Comment

Has anyone tried the Flip Belt? I saw it recommended on COTH a couple years ago and want to get one... just never got around to it. I don't like the thought of clipping something onto a belt because schooling tights don't necessarily have belt loops and if they do I find that phones on clips are heavy enough that it can make schooling tights droop. I also go hiking and those shorts don't have belts for a phone clip so I'm seriously considering a Flip Belt with the zipper option (or something similar that lays flat just like it does).
                                      That's what I use! It's always worked well for my phone, but it's just a samsung galaxy, not anything large or plus-sized.

Comment

Reported post above Evneo as spam.

Comment

Originally posted by MissingASock View Post
                                          I have a iPhone 6sPlus, and used a OtterBox defender with the holster belt clip. If I fell, the Defender case, in theory, would keep my phone safe so I could call for help if I needed and having it on my belt made is easy to reach for. I am pretty sure that the holster clip will fit any OtterBox case though because you can buy it separately.
                                          this is what I have too, and I like that I can rotate the phone vertically or horizontally to keep it from getting in the way.

Comment

Working...
                                          X