Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

"Breaking Up" with a trainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Breaking Up" with a trainer

It seems like it is worse to break up from trainer than a romantic relationship. I am faced with doing this really soon....My daughter has been with this trainer for three years, and we have decided to move on due to the following issues.

*Trainer talks about clients behind their backs to other clients, extremely unprofessional, causing bad blood.
    *At shows, when I am paying for a warmup, trainer chooses to shoot the breeze with another trainer barely paying attention to my kid, or talk to other people who follow her like a pied piper.
    *At her barn, the footing in the jumping ring is rock hard, she says it's fine....I know better, it's not.
    *Lessons can be sporadic in their quality due to her distraction, she takes any opportunity to talk to other people during lessons, mostly about her horses.

I want to be civil about how to tell her we are not going to be her clients any more. Fortunately we had moved out to a private barn in the spring, and was using her for ship out lessons. Can anyone give me advice? I hate doing this kind of thing. I know no matter what I say, I will be hated by all the other clients, since she will bad mouth me. It is what she does, it's awful.

Trying to keep my chin up.

Tell her you are leaving (make sure you give her the appropriate notice.) If she asks why, just tell her it's what you have to do. I was in a similar situation once and rather than get into specifics with old trainer, I told her it was time for me to go, and it was just something I had to do. A professional decision, not personal, and off you go.

Comment

I agree that 'breaking up' with trainers can definitely be tough. I'm sorry that you have had such a bad experience, but there are too many incredible trainers out there to let it keep going on. I would use your most comfortable form of communication to tell her, and maybe try to keep from burning any bridges if at all possible. Good luck, I hope it goes alright!
      Always pay equal, if not more, attention to your own self carriage, than that of your horse.

Comment

Gee that sounds so familiar...could be my trainer too
        Do you ship in for lessons? If so that will make your "break-up" all that much easier. Over the last couple of years my trainer has had some people who she just never heard from again... On the one hand you owe it yourself and trainer to explain why you no longer require her services.. i.e. you are no longer willing to pay her for her distractions.. if she badmouths you sobeit - you know you are in the right, she doesn't own you as a client, and what usually happens in these situations is that the client makes huge strides once they leave.

Best of luck to you

Comment

I would provide her with the reasons why you are leaving her; she can do with them what she wants. I've had to "break-up" with a trainer mostly due to my horse's lameness (at the time) and she and her other clients turned a cold shoulder to me. Oh well... For me, I had to be the advocate for my horse. You have to be the advocate for your child and your wallet! In this economy, there are plenty of trainers who will provide you with good lessons and support your child through the shows. If you're not getting your $$ worth, look elsewhere.
          "The Horse: Friendship without envy, beauty without vanity, nobility without conceit, a willing partner, yet no slave."

Comment

Leaving is always difficult. There is no easy answer..... There is no obligation on your part to explain your decision.

Perhaps the best approach is .... "I wanted to let you know that we have decided to make a change. We so much appreciate all that we have learned while we are here. Please know that we will always speak positively about you and our time here." - (And then keep that promise - you did choose to be there a one point in time, you did take away lessons that have made you better - remember those)

If pressed, a simple "our circumstances have changed" should suffice as an explanation.

Hope it goes better and easier than you anticipate

Comment

Originally posted by juststartingout View Post
              Perhaps the best approach is .... "I wanted to let you know that we have decided to make a change. We so much appreciate all that we have learned while we are here. Please know that we will always speak positively about you and our time here." - (And then keep that promise - you did choose to be there a one point in time, you did take away lessons that have made you better - remember those)
              That is such a nice way to put it, especially with the assurances about speaking positively.

Comment

Juststartingout is right on target. Also, because you may have reserved time on the trainer's schedule for weekly lessons, you should give her advance notice as to when the lessons will cease. If comfort dictates that you deliver the message and never grace her door again, I (and this is just me) would hand her a check for the lessons scheduled for the next two weeks and smilling sweetly tell her that you just KNOW that there must be others who would be happy to take that spot, but you didn't want to leave her in the lurch. It's one less thing she can complain about after you've left. I always take the high road because you never know whose hand you might need to pull you up out of the mud later in life.
                pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Comment

just be respectful about your termination from her.... never burn the bridge because this trainer could turn out to be better than the next trainer you go to... quirks aside it sounds like you have been really happy over the 3 years... you would not have stayed that long if you werent.

good luck, never easy!

Comment

Take the high road;

give notice, be paid up, don't complain about the 101 reasons "why" or they will surely be defensive , talk about you, or even attack back!

maybe even a little going away gift, Coffee/lunch card? then you don't leave with a dark cloud over your head!

Comment

We just had to do this and it didn't turn out well. We didn't have anything against the trainer's abilities, in fact she was very, very good. What we struggled with (and I have a young teenager) is that this trainer was FOREVER putting other trainers down...as in every single time we were with her...and, quite frankly, that she didn't have a horse(s) that my daughter could jump and show, which is what she wants to do (her horse can't take her any further in the jumpers show ring). What my daughter learned from this woman is priceless and she (daughter) will be able to use this knowledge on her horse but she wants to get back into showing hunter/jumper and this trainer wasn't able to take her there. No big deal. But....the trainer handled the "parting" very poorly which kind of surprised us but proved to us even more that she wasn't the right one for our needs.

Comment

Frankly my focus would be where we were going and not the past trainer who's actions made her the "ex-trainer".

Having said that I would make sure I was comfortable of where we were going, IE have lessons with new possible trainers before I gave notice.

Or if you are definitely going don't worry about that just give notice and start looking with no guarantee to new possible trainers that you will be training with them until you've had sufficient time to decide.

And by giving notice, it would be just that, thanks but we have decided to move on to another trainer. period.

I would give no reason, because she'll rip it apart no matter what you say. But if you are forced I say something like, we're taking a break right now, or you know the line, "it's not you its me". Good luck no fun.
                        FWIW. I left a BNT earlier this year and the line I gave everyone who asked was that his schedule and mine were incompatible. Because others ask, so you'll have to have something to say to those people too.
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

Summit Springs Farm's point about focusing on where you are going and not the past is the right approach, it isn't like a romantic relationship where you may need closure on certain things, and even then if you are out the door does it matter?, but in a case like this just say it is time to move on and then do so.

a lot of clients get intimidated by leaving, they feel the pressures of suddenly being sperated from friends, and something familar at shows, but honestly while that is all fine and dandy isn't the main reason you show...to show? If you worry about other people and clients then you are making a choice that really is not in your best interest and has nothing to do with your horses care or your riding career.

Any good trainer, with business sense doesn't act childish and inmature...you never know how things work out and clients come and go and come back again...riders get better opportunites, lifestyles change, lives change, there are multitudes of reasons people go elsewhere...

If a trainer feels the need to spread gossip and say things about you...that is their problem....it is nothing new in the horse world and give people credit for being able to sort things out for themselves, lets be honest there are many sides to each story and horse people know that...and most times people can spot the venom and lie as opposed to gossip or talking about people that is more on line of normal gossip at shows...
                          "All life is precious"
                          Sophie Scholl

Comment

I'm in an intersting situation right now - trainer lacks 'professionalism' & has terrible 'bed-side manner' but is a good trainer. Disorganization & lack of communication led to an altercation that makes me hesistent to continue any relationship, but not sure what to do at this point...there isn't a lack of good trainers in the area, but lack of training only leads to cutting-of-my nose syndrome (green horse that needs program). So, I figure her skills are of use to me until I find the correct new situation. What stinks is that I moved from a situation that I never would have left if it wasn't for moving to a different state.

Stuff happens, I'd just say thank you & move on. Sending a thank-you not a week later is always nice. Bad_mouthing seems par for the course with many 'pros', if they don't hide it from you then they probably have earned the title of a gossip from their peers & I wouldn't stress. And if their clients really don't think they are excluded from that, eventually they will learn

Comment

Thank you for all the good advice! I am fortunate enough that we moved our mare out of trainer's barn in April. We are now at a friend's private barn which is great. We have only seen the trainer a few times since, I shipped the mare over for a lesson once, but really do not want to subject my big 17.1 hand mare to jumping on rock hard footing. You can hear the landing from far away, it's that hard. Trainer does not have money to fix the footing.

She has done a few offsite schoolings etc. but not much else. I think we are separation from her, it could make it easier. She has been really rude to my daughter at times during lessons, talking about her to other clients while she is riding. I am really tired of the unprofessionalism!

We are quite possibly going back to her former trainer who treats my daughter extremely well, and is very professional. We had to leave the barn as it was very far from our house, and we could no longer board there because of the distance. So with now having the option of shipping over there once a week, it makes good sense. There is also another top professional my daughter is considering who has helped her with some YR programs. It will be for the best no doubt, and I feel better knowing I won't be involved with someone who chooses to gossip in a very nasty way about us and her other clients.... Onward and Upward!

Comment

Originally posted by boogierhythm View Post
                                It seems like it is worse to break up from trainer than a romantic relationship. I am faced with doing this really soon....My daughter has been with this trainer for three years, and we have decided to move on due to the following issues.

*Trainer talks about clients behind their backs to other clients, extremely unprofessional, causing bad blood.
                                *At shows, when I am paying for a warmup, trainer chooses to shoot the breeze with another trainer barely paying attention to my kid, or talk to other people who follow her like a pied piper.
                                *At her barn, the footing in the jumping ring is rock hard, she says it's fine....I know better, it's not.
                                *Lessons can be sporadic in their quality due to her distraction, she takes any opportunity to talk to other people during lessons, mostly about her horses.

I want to be civil about how to tell her we are not going to be her clients any more. Fortunately we had moved out to a private barn in the spring, and was using her for ship out lessons. Can anyone give me advice? I hate doing this kind of thing. I know no matter what I say, I will be hated by all the other clients, since she will bad mouth me. It is what she does, it's awful.

Trying to keep my chin up.

be polite judging by what your saying you have learnt a lot
                                as in what not to have in the future from a trainer

so bear that in mind - as all your comments are warranted ok
                                so you dont want that in the future
                                and your daughter and you have outgrown her

your now in a position of forwards

so you have a few choices here if we want to use someone else we just do it no hard feelings done

if you feel compelled then give her a small token gift and tell her you appreciate what shes done for you and your daughter but that you also know that that your daughter has outgrown her services and your now ready to move on and compete on your own

then that way it doesnt matter if you have a trianer or not your out there doing your own thing
                                sounds like as you have moved you have come to realise there more fun to be outside a perticular barn and not stuffed via rules of one set trianer

if you dont want her then dont ring her and dont chase her sounds like she chasing you for lesson so she probably isnt as good as she says, and perhaps when bad mouthing people with other trrianers it could be she arse licking
                                always two sides you know thing is if she was that good you would be further afield than you are

Comment

If you're the sane party then your reputation will prevail!

I left a dysfunctional (and 20+ year) relationship with a barn and shorly after heard all sorts of things from people who were still associated with the barn (the "pied pipees," if you will). Words like "the antichrist" and "we will do whatever it takes to destroy her" ("her" being me) were being thrown around to anyone who would listen. They reported me for allegedly being a trainer at several shows, which was absurd since I....well....wasn't! Sure helped me develop a better relationship with the stewards, though (who also saw through the crazy).

The worst part is that it was so pointless and based on absolutely nothing other than the fact that I left the barn (and I left because I bought my own farm, not because I felt the training was lacking). I grew up there, I thought of the people as family, I still have nothing but the greatest of respect for the [no-longer-main] main trainer (who wasn't part of the "crazy-talk"). But boy, the rest of it was just chaotic for a while!

Several of those people have come up to me over the ensuing years to apologize for their part in it. Most of it came from one person (much like in your scenario--she was the one who was like the pied piper). Fortunately it never affected my reputation on the circuit since it was clear exactly how crazy the people were who were saying stuff, and I had a lot of good and strong relationships throughout the area. But boy did it hurt my feelings and leave me reeling for a while.

My favorite part of it, though, was when the "Pied Piper" went up to all of my competitors at one horseshow after I won a big jumper class and tried to whisper conspiratorally that "if they were tired of losing to me they should help her get rid of me for good." REALLY? Who talks like that??? She was referring to reporting me to the stewards, by the way. But my competitors were also my friends and were all offended by the implication that the couldn't beat me (and boy, they certainly could!). They also thought it was pure craziness and headed straight to me to tell me what was being said.

I never felt so alone, but so totally supported by this huge group of people at one time! Which, coincidentally, is a big part of why I'm so sad to be moving away from the show circuit I've grown up on!

Oh, and my whole point about this, before I got to rambling on, is that you will be so glad to be away from the drama once you make the break. I do think it exists to some degree or another within any group of people, but if your trainer is on the extreme side it's SUCH a relief to work with "less crazy" people after you make the break

Comment

Working...
                                  X