• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Poultice without wrapping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poultice without wrapping?

There is a woman at my barn who goes through Sore No More poultice like crazy. She slabs it on her horse's legs after she bathes him, hand grazes him or lets him relax in his stall for about an hour, and then wipes or hoses the poultice off. I was always taught that you poultice under standing wraps overnight if you are going to poultice at all. I've never poulticed my horse because I have always been under that impression. She also packs her horse's hooves with the same stuff.

Is there any benefit to poulticing a horse short-term and without wrapping?

sore no more poultice description...

An excellent topical application for sensitive skinned animals to cool and tighten before and after exercise, training or competition Silky smooth and creamy rich clay base.

Non-irritating drawing poultice
    Easy on and off
    Apply to legs or body to reduce heat, swelling, inflammation, and infection
    Use as a cooling hoof packing
    Great to use over WrapArounds for quick clean up, if it is too cold to hose or there is no water handy

I'm a big fan of their products...the arnica really does work.

Comment

I poultice without wrapping, although I leave it on until I either brush it off before I ride the next day, ot it falls off on its own.

Not sure if it makes any real difference, but my mare seems to enjoy having it put on (she's not much into being groomed). Makes me feel good to fuss over her. And I figure if nothing else, it at least provides a nice physical barrier against the insects
      "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
      -Edward Hoagland

Comment

A vet told me years ago, it's all the cold hosing to get the poutice OFF that does the horse good
        You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Comment

I'm just not sure how practical that would be as MY horse would surely rub his big head all over his legs and end up covered in the stuff. Who is this majickal horse that leaves it alone??

Comment

IF you believe that poultice actually does anything, via drying or "drawing heat" out of the leg (even though poultices heat up as they dry), then putting it on and letting it dry seems to be the most logical method, from a strictly chemical/thermodynamic viewpoint.

I doubt it does much for horses, although it does seem to make owners feel better.
            Click here before you buy.

Comment

I love Sore No More poultice. I use it alone, no wrapping. I let it dry overnight though and either brush or hose it off before I ride the next day. I only use it after tough workouts or hunter paces though. It significantly reduces the size of my guy's windpuffs. In only ends up on his tail which easily washes out.

Comment

Bays, I agree with your vet for the most part. I would thickly poultice after exertion or injury, but either leave open or wrap with paper toweling/feed bag, soaked and perhaps a standing wrap. The idea is to draw heat and let it dry. But, absolutely, hosing off every single bit of dried poultice gives the horse a good cold hose. And, for that, a really sticky poultice thwarts the lazy groom and benefits the horse!

Furthermore, not all poultices are alike. I also like Bigeloil (liquid or gel), but don't bandage or you might blister. In any event, massage the product in so it doesn't just sit on the surface but penetrates the skin. Same goes for poultice.

Comment

I use Sore No More poultice on my horse's hind legs multiple times per week, sometimes I wrap and sometimes not. This stuff is amazing, it really reduces the size of his wind puffs and makes them nice and squishy. It depends on how much time I have left at the barn after riding if I wrap or leave on as is :-)

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                    IF you believe that poultice actually does anything, via drying or "drawing heat" out of the leg (even though poultices heat up as they dry), then putting it on and letting it dry seems to be the most logical method, from a strictly chemical/thermodynamic viewpoint.

I doubt it does much for horses, although it does seem to make owners feel better.
                    DW- I used to be right along with you on this, but, I gotta say, using the Sore No More poultice on Vernon makes a remarkable difference (don't know if it is just poultice in general or this particular one). I had been icing or cold hosing after cross country, then wrapping until he could go out. At some point in the last couple of months, Vernon was having some issue (I don't even remember what it was now) and I had tried various things to make it better and nothing was really helping. I had some SNM poultice that I had won, so I slapped it on, set him up, and damn if his legs were not BEAUTIFUL the next morning. Cold and tight. Lovely. Not that he has ugly legs, but, now that I've done it a few times at events, I see a good bit of difference between just wrapping with maybe a little SNM gel underneath, and poulticing (both with icing or cold hosing first). I hate to poultice-it's so messy- and I really always figured it was more for the human than the horse...but I see a difference with Vernon.

As for the OP. This seems like a pricey, messy thing to do. And, if the horse is sensitive enough, a good way to set their skin off (having a horse with very sensitive skin, I only poultice for events). However, I leave my horse set up with wraps until he can go out...usually after dinner in the evening. I'll then pull off his wraps and paper and leave the poultice. Usually by morning he's got it all over his face and a lot has flaked off, but it seems to still do a little something.
                    Amanda

Comment

I had a horse that was prone to bouts of lympingitis and besides meds Vet always said to put a open poultice on. Also the race barn we have a 2 yr old in ,more than half the horses in there are open poulticed after breezing.
                      I also like using the sore-no-more for open poultice and the ice tight if I am wrapping.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayside View Post
                        I poultice without wrapping, although I leave it on until I either brush it off before I ride the next day, ot it falls off on its own.

Not sure if it makes any real difference, but my mare seems to enjoy having it put on (she's not much into being groomed). Makes me feel good to fuss over her. And I figure if nothing else, it at least provides a nice physical barrier against the insects
                        Ditto - I use a cheap poultice to put on the legs prior to the big bug "swarm" in the evenings - works GREAT.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! Since my boy does have windpuffs and gets worked pretty hard, I think i'll give open poulticing a chance after hard work. I already cold hose him after every ride but we'll see if this helps, too.

Comment

poultice for injury?

This thread got me thinking. My 17 yo TB mare recently strained her deep digital flexor tendon on her left back leg playing in the pasture. Even with proper meds, its still pretty swollen, even though it never made her lame. Would poulticing it help take down the swelling? Can I do it every day? I thought I would do it while she is stalled from 8 to 5 and see how she looks? Any
                            opinions?
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

MPS, the traditional way to use poultice is under standing bandages in a stall. If your horse is sensitive read reviews of various poultices, as i've seen some horses have bad reactions and it not be noticed until the wraps are removed. It usually draws out heat and swelling pretty nicely.

Try to get someone at your barn to show you how to poultice with paper and wraps, as it can be kind of messy and tricky to figure it out on your own. They make poultice paper now and while some people still use feed bags the paper is so much easier.

Comment

Huh, I didn't know you could poulice without wrapping. You learn something new every day. But then, I don't use such stuff often- I have a tub of poultice in my tack room somewhere, but I think it's like 15 years old and probably dried up...

Comment

Here's my theory... (DW, you still there?)

You know how the taping is the new thing in sports & sports med? Remember the woman Volleyball Player in the last Olympics with the spidery tape on her shoulder?

What the Docs say it does, is pull the skin (lightly) with the surface fascia, which helps increase motion/flow/circulation etc.

I had it done to my knee when I wrecked it. Can't honestly say it helped healing, but it DID feel good when it was first done, and the ache was lessened.

So, as a poultice dries, especially with hair stuck in the clay, it does the same thing. It 'pulls.'

So while it may not 'cool' all that effectively once the moisture is gone, it still may help.

I have used plain clay poultice on bad sunburn and windburn, and LOVE it. When nothing else works, the Miracle Clay cools immediately, and even when it is dry, the result seems to last.

This is my theory only. Not a STITCH of science to back me up.
                                  InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

I work for a big racing stable when the track is open here for Harness racing and EVERY horse they have gets their legs polticed with sore no more with no wraps and they get their feet packed with it after every race. The trainer swears by it and he seems to have less horses with major leg problems than others I have worked for so I guess it works. I use it on my guys but I only have one that has any leg problems as he is a retired STB racehorse and it seems to help him.
                                    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!

Comment

The swelling is already way down today if present at all. He's out in the paddock stomping flies so hard to check completely but definitely almost gone. I'm thinking windpuff exacerbated by heat and stomping. My vet will call me back later today

Comment

I'm a HUGE poultice fan! Does wonders
                                        Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakend. ~Anatole France~
                                        www.EquineKneadsLLC.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X