• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WWYD - Vet (long and wordy)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a tough spot! I feel for you.

I am so bad at ending professional relationships...but personally, I would switch to the multi-vet practice. In my personal experience, even though Horse has been treated by multiple vets for the same issue, it wasn't a problem. As long as you are able to fill the on-call vet in on what is going on and what has been done, they are able to pick right up and move forward. You'd have to do this if you used multiple vet practices, anyway. Also, the vets in this practice should be sharing records and communicating with each other, yes? I like the idea someone else suggested of setting up time to meet with them to get your questions answered and your mind put at ease.

If your current vet is experiencing burnout, which it sounds like to me, I totally sympathize. I am very burnout-prone. That being said, having a long history with you and your horses doesn't beat out keeping up to date with equipment and being AVAILABLE when needed. (At least IMO.) My current vet clinic is easily an hour away, but with someone always on call I at least know that I'll be able to get someone familiar with me, my horse, and my barn out there no matter when.

It would be cool if you could have a conversation with current vet about your needs, issues with his schedule, and your desire to work with both him and this other practice - and maybe you can! - but it sounds like he's not going to go along with that.

FWIW, I'm a huge fan of just working with one practice so I don't have to pay more for farm calls as a non-client, and I know I am getting priority when I call. My current practice will of course see patients who are not regular clients, but if it comes down to client vs. non-client, they are going to give priority to client. I don't think that's unreasonable, and I like to be on the client end of that deal as much as possible.

Comment

Both of the multi-vet practices that I use allow you to select the vet you want for routine stuff. When making the appointment they always ask if there's a specific vet I'd like to schedule with.

(Of course for an emergency it's whoever is on call.)

So it's very possible to have a vet at a large practice become familiar with you and your horses.

Comment

I used to work in the medical field, and I will tell you this - good doctors are never offended or upset by a second opinion. Good doctors are also quite willing to refer a patient out if things aren't going well or another area of expertise is needed. Crappy doctors are easily offended by second opinions and do not want to refer out for fear of losing their patients to a better doctor.

There may be a doctor who is an exception to this theory but I've never seen it. The behavior you have described is a huge red flag to me. Add to that the fact that your vet is gone so often and I would not be able to get out of there fast enough. Have your records sent to the new practice and your new vets will have the information you need to get up to speed quickly.

Comment

I agree with the posters upthread who noted the signs of burn-out in your current vet. I can only imagine the stress of being a solo equine practitioner, but 40 seems to be early to be getting to the burn-out phase of a career that required spending quite a bit of time, energy and money to get started. It sounds like he hasn't invested much in his practice with no power float, digital x-rays, or ultrasound - I know these devices are expensive, but it seems like those things have become pretty close to essential to provide care - even in the field - to current standards.

It sounds like the vet school that he refers clients to is only an hour plus away which is, in the grand scheme of things, is pretty close at hand. I can see why he would be somewhat comfortable being away from his practice without coverage arranged from that standpoint, but it really is rude (and maybe a little passive-aggressive) to go out of town for more than a day and not change your voice mail to let clients know when you will be back.

OP, maybe think about what might cause you to have regrets about switching if you go ahead and do so... like if you have an older horse with issues, would you possibly miss the counsel and presence of the current vet if difficult decisions had to be made? Or would you be ok as long as the attending vet is competent and compassionate? And even if there are situations where you might prefer the current vet, would that be worth the possibility of not being able to reach him at a time when you need him most?

Comment

I would still use your current vet for the routine things and the newer practice for the things your vet is not set up to do. No reason why you have to mention it to him at all. I prefer a smaller practice where the vet actually knows my horses if possible.

Comment

While I have some amount of sympathy for your current DVM, (it can be insanely expensive to purchase all the bells and whistles, and it is also nice to have a life of one's own, aside from work) if he's not going to let you know when and how long he's gone, I'd just call the other practice whenever that happens. I'd also call them if you want or need services above what he is willing to provide wrt radiographs, lab work, etc.

If he gets his knickers in a knot about it, simply let him know that you would have used him if you could have, but he wasn't there/couldn't do it, and that's on him, and if he gets really snitty, switch all your work to the other practice.
              "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Honestly, after reading you later remarks, he seems more concerned about losing clients than making an effort to keep them if that makes sense. If he’s going to be belligerent and let his pride interfere with you getting the best possible treatment for your horse, it’s probably time to change.

Comment

I have used a multi vet practice for years. There have been times when there was a vet I didn't like, and I asked for one of the others, but for the most part I have been happy with all the vets and take whichever one happens to come. If I have a complex, ongoing issue I have arranged for one vet to look after all the visits for that horse, but you'd better believe she's discussing the case with the other vets! There was one series of ongoing issues involving my horse's eye and three out of the four vets saw him at various times. The one who recommended surgery happened to not be the vet who performed the surgery.

I am really happy to have a clinic with several vets who I am confident working with.

I made the move from single vet to clinic because my single vet was shifting to primarily small animals. I had a good experience with the clinic during a lameness consult and switched at that point.

Comment

This is just absolutely unacceptable- almost all of it. He goes out of town and doesn't inform you that he'll be gone, when he will be back, and doesn't give a backup? Nothing about that is okay. And he's pissy when clients call another practice?
                    I am SHOCKED he has ANY clients. My vet clinic has multiple vets. They HIRE board certified vets to stand in when they go to vet conferences. They have interns on staff. They have an office staff who can relay questions or concerns during their absence. And believe me, I was talking to MY vet the second he got back on Monday morning. Had it been an emergency he would have been consulted if it was an ongoing issue.
                    We have several local vets (that I don't use- I've used this clinic for 12 years and feel they do an impeccable job, and like- as another poster said- the perk of being a longtime client) that have single vet practices. I have friends who have used them and they all refer to another vet or to the clinic I use when they're gone.

This alone is reason enough to fire this vet. He may be closer but he's also a single vet- what if your horse is badly colicking or fractures his skull and he's in the middle of sewing up a laceration or some other lengthy vet procedure? Or he's mysteriously out of town with no warning? Now you're calling the multiple vet clinic that's further away because they can get to you more quickly because even if one vet is busy, SOMEONE can come!!! But if you're using them as a backup only you likely won't be first priority and you'll be guaranteed that they won't know anything about your horses.

One of the things I like about my vet practice is that even if I don't get my vet for the emergency the other vets or interns are familiar with my horse and can look up his history quickly on their computer.

ditch this vet for the sake of your horses.
                    You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

Comment

I would target the major issue: Have a discussion with your vet about lining up another vet to be his on-call (emergencies only) backup when he is out of town. If he isn't amenable to that, switch.
                      "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Comment

We use two vets. Very similar situation, both the larger clinic and the local older vet know of the situation. I call out the local vet for routine stuff as he's right down the road. When we're talking in-depth lameness, radiographs, etc, I call out the larger clinic. Both have been fine with the arrangement. I love both, and will continue using both.

Comment

This is a no-brainer for me. Switch! He can't provide the basic services you need, and has a bad attitude about reasonable requests. You've outlined a ton of red flags and practices that are completely unacceptable IMO. Loyalty doesn't come in to play when someone is not putting forth their best effort to meet clients' needs. Loyalty is a two-way street, and he is not fulfilling his side! And I wouldn't nickel-and-dime the multi-vet practice by only using them for certain things. They need to have a full picture of your horses' health in order to provide the best care. Plus those basic services like vaccines are often the way that vet practices stay afloat during lean times.

At the end of the day you are responsible for your horses' well-being, not keeping someone's mismanaged business going.
                          "Sometimes the fear won't go away... so you just have to do it afraid."

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Comment

Using a vet hospital as a back-up is a seriously selfish and inconsiderate way to run a vet practice. Not everyone has a trailer and not all horses have illness or injury that allow them to be trailered. What a jerk
                            "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

This is so bizarre. I have used three different vets in the last six months. Never gave a thought about offending primary vet. My primary vet is great. I can talk to him about any issue and can text him pictures or videos of anything that is amiss (My farrier is that way too). He also gives me an open script for any meds I need. I used another vet for an extensive float on my horses teeth that my primary vet did not have the tools for. The 3rd vet was used for routine vaccinations and a colic episode as he was at the barn looking at another horse. Primary is cool with me using whomever I want if the situation arises and was grateful there was another vet at the barn when my horse coliced. SoCal traffic is horrendous and vets location has no bearing on how long it takes to get to the barn.

Comment

When I had multiple horses I had 4 different practices I used based on which one had the most experience and knowledge on what I needed. They all knew each other and worked together, sharing records and consulting on x-rays, imaging if needed. It was awesome and we had a grand old time when multiple vets got together sharing info.
                                "Anyone who tries to make brownies without butter should be arrested." Ina Garten

Comment

Working...
                                X