Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

DSC_0001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Possible treatment with Tildren

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible treatment with Tildren

After a long day at Littleton Clinic yesterday, Mo might be qualified into a study using Tildren for his lameness issues. He is scheduled for an MRI this morning and if that comes back "normal" he will start the study. I've done the google search and havent had much success finding out more info....Any help?? Thanks

There are some big long threads here about Tildren...maybe search here on COTH.

Google is not a very good medical resource! Try Medline or PubMed, or scholar.google.com.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks. I'm pretty new here but since becoming a member I have learned so much! I'll search the info you gave me.

Comment

Here, do a search on both "Tildren" and "Tildrin", as some threads use the wrong spelling.
        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2017.

Comment

my boss was trying to get this for her retired grand prix dressage horse but I guess it's illegal in the us. She will be glad if they legalize it. She seems to think it's really great stuff. You'll have to let us all know

Comment

Originally posted by wtchy1 View Post
            my boss was trying to get this for her retired grand prix dressage horse but I guess it's illegal in the us. She will be glad if they legalize it. She seems to think it's really great stuff. You'll have to let us all know
            It isn't "illegal", it just isn't formally approved yet.

The various studies going on are part of the process of getting it approved in the US. If your horse qualifies for one of the studires, there is no charge. If your horse doesn't qualfy for the study, you can still get it (import it from UK) and use it, but it is very expensive.
            Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2017.

Comment

I'll have to let her know, maybe her horse will qualify for the study! That would be great for her. Do you know where I can send her for more info??

Thanks.

Comment

Huh, I couldn't find anything under a search but it is exam week and my head doesn't work. ETA: I was thinking of tarumeel when I said you can get it at farmvet, and I have no idea about either of them. brain fried.
                -Grace

Comment

• Original Poster

We are sitting on the proverbial "pins and needles" waiting to hear how the MRI went at the clinic. I will keep those interested updated.

Comment

What is Tildren and what is it used for?

Comment

It is a "bisphosphonate", a drug used for bone remodeling. Similar to Boniva, Fosamax, and other drugs used in humans to prevent or treat osteoporosis. I believe it is being used and/or studied for horses with "navicular syndrome" or other conditions where bone resorption is pathological.

Our very own RAyers, who hangs out on the Eventing board, is a PhD scientist in bone physiology, among other things, and is very expert on the topic. If I'm not mistaken he has some very big reservations about this so-called "wonder drug".

Unfortunately if you start threads on the topic of navicular pain/syndrome/disease, the barefoot-trimming...people...quickly take over and chase everyone away.
                      However, there are a few good threads on Tildren if you do a search.

Comment

Make sure you are VERY aware of the possible, negative long-term side effects of this drug before you attempt a quick-fix.

I don't know anyone who has used it who has achieved LONG TERM soundness.
                        \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Comment

• Original Poster

Now are you personally aware of problems? Can you direct me to any information? We are NOT in the prgram as of yet, but statements like you have made make me somewhat skeptical. Please don't leave me hanging like you have.

Comment

You really should be asking these questions of your vet, no? Skepticism is a fine and healthy thing--wish there were more of it--but as brilliant and well-meaning as all of us are here on COTH we are no substitute for the depth of knowledge YOUR vet can provide regarding treating YOUR horse.

Comment

The way I understand it laymen's terms from both my vet and what Rayers has said is this: It does create bone (or something that looks like bone) on a x-ray, but that the quality of what you see on the film is actually worse, more brittle if you will. My vet says he only sees a 1 out of 5 improvement on lameness in most horses
                              So it looks better, more dense on xray, but is actually of less quality.
                              Rayers, please correct me if I got that wrong!
                              "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                              carolprudm

Comment

Ya'll are right on! Te Amo, PM me and I will help you. I use LLAC as my vets too so I know who to talk to as well.

Tildren is Zolendric Acid (bisphosphonate). In humans it is administered as an infusion rather than as an oral med such as Boniva or Fosamax. This is done in oncology on a regular basis. Tildren is approved in the US for humans. The infusion allows for much higher doses to be administered, however those high doses also lead to the formation of necrotic (dead) bone in the head and jaw. It has been found that zolendronate (Tildren) can actually inhibit certain phosphate proteins in soft tissues leading to their damage as well as in the bone.

Why does the bone in the head and jaw die? Well, it has been shown that bisphosphonate uptake inbone is directly corellated to bone turnover (self-repair). The head and jaw are VERY active, unlike the bones of the lower limbs, so bisphosponates concentrate there, creating focal areas of dead tissue.

Reed

Comment

We've used injections of steroid/hyaluronic acid into the navicular bursa and also have used IRAP for our horse's navicular disease, with good results. We were offered Tildren, but since our horse has relatively normal x-rays, were told it would probably not be effective. Tildren did not help our neighbor's horse, who also has fairly normal navicular x-rays.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary in Area 1 View Post
                                    Make sure you are VERY aware of the possible, negative long-term side effects of this drug before you attempt a quick-fix.

What negative side effects have you heard?

I am thinking about giving it to my new horse who is sound but has pretty bad navicular x-rays. My vet recommended that I do it once a year with this horse. But it is so pricey, that I'm on the fence about it.

Reed, I am sending you a PM.
                                    http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

Comment

There's a VAST difference between making X rays look better and making the horse sounder.

Comment

According to 2 vets i consulted,tildren has not scientifically been shown to be of any benefit to horses. That being said there is alot of anecdotal suppport. Katie Prudent uses it quite alot for her jumpers,and swears by it.
                                        I had a regional profusion with Tildren done on my ringbone horse last summer.It was much cheaper than giving it sustemically.This is a pretty new idea,and was affordable to me ,so i thought what the heck,I'll try it. it cost me about 220.00 ,to do his bad pasturn ,and I have to say ,I really feel like it made an improvement in his comfort and soundness. Now this horse will never be sound. I wasn't expecting that. i just wanted to make him more comfortable.Within about a month he was walking much better,infact it was pretty remarkable. Everyone who sees the horse has remarked on how much better he seemed after the treatment.

Comment

Working...
                                        X