• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Safest 'attractive' electric fence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safest 'attractive' electric fence

So I will need electric fence for my track system-at least for awhile until I decided whether to do something more permanent.

I don't want white.

I have black 4 board fence and would like something that blends in-so black or brown is my best guess.

I have NO idea where to start-all these tapes and t-posts.

Lost.

For electric fencing, I don't think you can beat Horseguard for quality. They have brown, green, and white, but not black. I do think there are some companies that do black, but have no experience with that product. I've been happy with the Horseguard - I've used it for my interior paddock cross fencing, and it looks great with my brown Centaur perimeter. I have the Horseguard brown t-post covers -- again, I'm sure I've seen another company makes black in those too, but no experience with it.

How temporary is this going to be? T-posts aren't fun to take out and move, esp if you have a lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by LMH View Post
      I have NO idea where to start-all these tapes and t-posts.

Lost.
      I start in a corner and go from there.

IME with "tape" fencing is that it can lacerate a horses limbs if they get a leg over it and then slide along the edge of the tape in a panic trying to pull their leg away.

This is the only mishap I've encountered and it was a weanling that got lacerated. Vet stitched him up and he recovered just fine. Sort of a freak accident, but the edges of the tape do have the potential to cut flesh if things happen just right.

I like the wade black plastic fence with the steel reinforcement bands. Seems to hold up well as long as it is installed correctly - starting in the corners.

Comment

Originally posted by horsepoor View Post
        T-posts aren't fun to take out and move, esp if you have a lot of them.
        There is a special jack made for removing T-posts. Just hook on and push down on the lever. They pop right out of the ground. No wiggling needed.

Comment

Electrobraid comes in black.

http://www.electrobraid.com/enlarge.html
          Click here before you buy.

Comment

Horseguard, Horseguard, Horseguard.

Do NOT use tposts, I swear I will come down there and smack you! If you DO use them, to make them anywhere near safe you need to fully enclose them with sleeves and a cap, and then you might as well have paid for wood posts.

I have had Rio get tangled in the HG fence twice. I mean TANGLED. He ran, the tape broke before he did. he broke a few of the insulators and a metal tensioner along the way. Those are easy and cheap to replace.

Horseguard has really nice fiberglass posts that are fantastic for temp fences. I use them all the time for temp fencing. They're a bitch to get into hard ground, I'll give you that. But otherwise I wouldn't trade them for anything. YOu'll just need a t-post driver, like this, and will want to handle them with gloves, especially for pulling them out.

Comment

Horseguard
              they make a bi-polar tape that doesnt need a ground rod and still packs a wallop. I use it and LOVE it...horses totally respect it too.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks...I guess Horseguard it is.

Question-if you were just going to enclose an area as a paddock off of a shed, say 50x50 or something like that...

Would you do Horseguard or permanent fence (as in wooden board)?

Any drawbacks or benefits to either choice?

I have just never used hot fence--so just not familiar with the benefits.

Comment

I'm using hot fence for the first time...finally had one line of electrobraid added to my fence across the top.
                  It's really nothing tough, but I did have someone else do the ground rod and connection in case I messed it up. You do want the ground rod somewhere that the ground doesn't dry out very easy. A shady spot and/or one near a water source so you can resoak it if necessary.

However, I only have one line and it's attached to big honkin' round posts. However, I also bought some step in things made for tape or braid and these little clamp things (huh, I should learn the names for these things, LOL) in case I want to fence off part of the small grass paddock. They work nicely, but I don't think they'd work as actual "keep the horse in" fence, they seem more of a cross fencing type.

If I need a smaller area fenced temporarily, I use round pen panels. Not sure if you have any or if they're in the budget, but they do come in mighty handy as easily moveable temporary fencing. I've never set them up as an actual round pen, I bought the round pen set for temporary fence panels.
                  You jump in the saddle,
                  Hold onto the bridle!
                  Jump in the line!
                  ...Belefonte

Comment

• Original Poster

I have more stupid questions.

I am planning on using the Horseguard as a cross fence to make a dry lot around my shed.

I like the look of the bi-polar. So I would just have a straight line of cross fence with a gait (I guess the bi-polar gate is best?).

The idea then is the horse could be drylotted as needed then open the gait and he would be free to go onto the pasture or come back through the gait on to the gravel area and have access to the shed if weather was bad.

SO

1. If the gait is open, allowing access, would the fence still be hot? Or does unhooking the gate 'kill' the electrical?

2. If the gate is open, would I actually just want the entire system off? It seems this would allow them to run through it or learn to press on it?

Comment

When you add a gate to an electric fenced paddock there's a wire run under the gate underground. So the fence still stays hot because the circuit isn't broken.
                      A plastic coated wire is attached to the hot wire/tape and then run down the gate post on one side, a shallow trench is dug across to the other gate post and the plastic coated wire is buried and tamped into that. Then the wire runs back up the other post (doesn't need insulators on post because the wire is covered in plastic) and attaches to the hot fence on the other side.
                      This way you can open and close gates all you want and never lose the electricity in the fence.
                      You jump in the saddle,
                      Hold onto the bridle!
                      Jump in the line!
                      ...Belefonte

Comment

• Original Poster

I told you I had stupid questions!

I guess the other option is just place the gate on on end or another as opposed to the middle.

Comment

What MB said.

Any time you add a gate, you need to run a wire under the gate to connect each side. That keeps the fence hot whether the gate is open or closed.

If you were to use the HG handles and tape as your gate, then when the gate is closed, the circuit is complete, but when it's open, it's only hot on whichever side your charger is on.

You do not want a horse to learn the electricity is off

Whether you use regular post and board, or the HG and wood posts, or the HG and fiberglass "temp" posts, is up to you. If this really is a permanent thing, maybe you want all wood to match the rest of your fencing.

A 50x50 area isn't very big, which can cause issues, or have issues be resolved by, either type of fencing, really. Smaller areas are more likely to cause a horse to start chewing on boards, which can't be done with electric. Getting stupid in a small area could cause him to run into, or kick into, either type of fencing, and it's a matter of which you feel better about him connecting with.

The HG brown tape, which is what I have, looks very similar to wooden fencing, other than being more narrow.

Bipolar, or the regular, where you are it really doesn't matter. In the end it's the charger which matters.

Comment

• Original Poster

solar or electric? and why?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Bloomer, CF, RJF View Post

IME with "tape" fencing is that it can lacerate a horses limbs if they get a leg over it and then slide along the edge of the tape in a panic trying to pull their leg away.

This is the only mishap I've encountered and it was a weanling that got lacerated. Vet stitched him up and he recovered just fine. Sort of a freak accident, but the edges of the tape do have the potential to cut flesh if things happen just right.

I like the wade black plastic fence with the steel reinforcement bands. Seems to hold up well as long as it is installed correctly - starting in the corners.
                              I would have never thought that could happen. We've had electric tape for - gosh - at least 14 years on this farm and have never seen a single injury because of it. I've seen horses run through it, roll under, get shoved through it, tangled up in it, jump over and not quite make it.

Over the years we've raised babies, brought in rescues, boarded horses, etc. so there has always been a variety of temperaments, sizes, and ages coming and going. Honest to pete, I can't recall ONE injury from the white tape fencing. If they connect with a t-post, they can do some damage. We try to mitigate that by having caps on all posts. Would do the sleeves if we could afford it. http://www.hphoofcare.com/Andre%20And%20Mares2.jpg

The top rail is at 54" and the 3 strands are 18" apart. Posts are 10 feet apart. Gates are 12 feet to accommodate the tractors. We measure all of them so they are consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by LMH View Post
                                solar or electric? and why?
                                If you cannot effectively face a solar charger due South and have it charging all day long, you may not get the best charge. I know you have a lot of trees around, so you need to see which way straight South is. The bonus to solar is it doesn't matter if the electricity goes out Good solar chargers can hold a full charge, on a good battery, for at least 24 hours.

OTOH, a good electric charger can put out a stronger charge than some solar chargers, so it really just comes down to what you need.

Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
                                If they connect with a t-post, they can do some damage. We try to mitigate that by having caps on all posts. Would do the sleeves if we could afford it.
                                Yeah, by the time you sleeve t-posts, you could have paid for wood posts.

Just be really, really careful. Rio's first serious injury was sliding into the side of an un-sleeved t-post and severing his extensor tendon

Comment

Another vote for Horseguard. All of our pastures are fenced and cross fenced in HG brown tape on stained wood posts. I think it is very attractive and blends well with the wood board perimeter fencing (stained the same brown). I have found that it holds up well to very high winds and heavy snow loads with minimal tightening needed. I have never had an injury from the tape and I have had horses try, believe me. They also have excellent customer service!
                                  Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
                                  http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Horsequard. I've had two occasions when it's come down. The first time it was because my goofball old TB had to fight over the fenceline. He got it wrapped around his leg but not a scratch on him. The other time, a 100' pine tree came down and they must have run through it. Both times, the horses were fine. A lot of dancing but not the slightest injury. And they stayed inside the area where the fence was.
                                    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
                                    www.reflectionsonriding.com

Comment

Ditto on Horse Guard

I fenced all of my dry paddocks with HorseGuard bipolar when the bipolar tape first came out. I use a Pharmak Magnum 12 (sp?) solar charger. Packs a wallop of a shock (unfortunately I have first hand knowledge.) The horses totally respect it. I too had a mare get a leg wrapped in the tape. She had barely a scratch, despite using her hind leg to break the tape!

The fencing looks lovely. Really blends in nicely.

Comment

• Original Poster

My fencing is black 4 board fence-I assume the brown will 'blend' and look ok?

I know they suggest 2 strands is enough-but will it look half complete having 2 strand connect to 4 board?

Also I see Horseguard offers a solar charger-any experience with it?

So what happens with several days of overcast skies? SOL?

Comment

Working...
                                        X