• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Optimizing forage/reducing boredom in no turnout situation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizing forage/reducing boredom in no turnout situation

Hi everyone. A bit at my wit's end here and unsure what to do. I'm in Europe in a country amazing for the sport but often very different in approach to the horsecare I grew up with.

I'm on my third stable now that doesn't believe in turnout for sporthorses. Though not ideal, this didn't bother me as much when my horses were given hay three times a day, as neither has been in a turnout-friendly barn since being with their dams (long before I came along). However, now I've moved to a barn that feeds hay only once (and grains morning and evening) and I'm starting to worry.

My question is this: Is there a way to optimize this situation? Two months in, my horses are still happy, in good condition, and vice-free. But their neighbors/stable veterans seem frustrated and bored (cribbing, weaving, attitude, etc). I'm worried about all the emotional stuff but also thinking about ulcers, colic, blood circulation, etc.

Depending on the day, they get between 15-30 minutes on the walker and ridden five times a week. While the weather cooperates (so I'd say for another month or two, tops), I'm totally committed to hand grazing a minimum of 30-45 minutes every day I'm there. They've both got mineral blocks which last about a week and a half, maybe two. But this doesn't feel like enough, especially looking down the barrel of a long, cold winter.

I'm looking into hay bricks (lucerne and mint) or a lucerne mix (timothy, lucerne, and linseed), and/or hay pellets.

My thought was to give a brick (about 2.2 pounds) in the afternoon before I leave to help with chewing/digestion/boredom, plus a Likit Ball or similar dispenser with hay pellets/ lucerne mix and carrots/something low sugar.

I'm pushing for a second feeding of hay. But even still, l feel 22-23 hours per day in the stall requires something more. This is a difficult one for me because the training is fantastic and the best I've found within my financial reach, but I love my horses. The owner is very set in his ways, and while I will speak with him this week, I've been told by the working students and staff that I'm facing a battle as far as changing his habits.

If it comes down to it, I will change stables again, but I want to do everything to avoid that as I haven't been able to find a better option (ie: a trainer I can deal with on a personal level, quality instruction, affordability). So, is there anything else I can do? Any kind of supplement or hay alternative or boredom buster or respiratory aid or anything (anything!) any of you might suggest?
    Last edited by brightlights; Aug. 13, 2017, 11:00 AM.

In that situation, I'd hang a slow-feed hay net, large enough to last all day & fill it with some low-calorie hay. I have a horse who's rehabbing, and should have hay in front of him at all times, and this seems to keep him happy until turnout, and times when I can't be home to see that he has hay in his manger.

Comment

When I boarded ( in the 1980's) my stable was a stall only . Horses were fed 2x a day and were in their stalls 24/7 unless the owner came to ride or take them out. We never gave it another thought as that was the normal for living in the city. After a while I was able to get my horses into stalls with attached paddocks ( 12X24).

It is amazing that my horses did so well in box stalls all day . I made sure they got out daily and it helps. Of course I would never choose that again, but sometimes there are no other options available.

I think that if your barn will allow it that a large hay net is your best option and the best thing for your horse. Once daily hay is a new one on me and I would have better peace of mind filling one for afternoon-overnight hours.

Comment

x3 for a hay net. It's certainly supported that fasting is a leading cause of GI issues in horses. Having access to hay in a hay net keeps them chewing and producing saliva and aids in gastric buffering. Dexter is pretty much on stall rest with very limited hand grazing/ tiny paddock turn out nad were it not for his hay net and jolly ball he'd be a basket case. He also has hanging salt which encourages water intake with all the hay he eats. I just ordered another bag because the large shires bag gets down to a certain amount and it gets tough for him to get to the hay. Hoping I can just rotate them out and not have to run do refills so often.

Comment

Oh my gosh, you all must have very calm horses! My horse would absolutely murder someone if he were kept in for 8 hours, I can't imagine 24! I think you're on the right track asking for a second feeding. After the horse finishes its hay, it is just stuck there with an empty belly and unable to stretch its legs. Ugh. I couldn't do it. I'd be asking for a hay net filled with an entire BALE of hay and replenished when it's empty. Barring that, I'd be feeding forage pellets and certainly adding maybe a treat ball filled with said pellets whenever you visit.

Are there a lot of colics where you are? (Not impaction, I'm certain!). There must certainly be ulcers.
          "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

Comment

I'd make sure he has a full hay net 24/7. My horse would be crazy nut case being lockup in a stall 24/7 can't believe people have horses living like that. Seriously get several large hay nets to fill and hang in stall so he can at least have hay to eat all the time.

Never heard of only feeding hay once a day most boarding barns here do twice a day. There are a few barns who feed free choice hay. I'd never keep my horses where they had to live in a stall 24/7, so not right for many reasons.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for your input! It's beyond helpful. All of this has been strange for me, having ridden in the states throughout my junior years. You guys have confirmed my feeling that the second feeding of hay (in a net, with enough to get them through afternoon/evening) is non-negotiable, so thank you again. It's certainly a lesson learned a bit late in responsible ownership not to assume the flashy barn will be on the same/right page.

It's so frustrating to be uneducated about this, because barring this situation, I've always been at stables with quality care and have never felt such a need to question the methodology... so I really am at a point where I'm having to teach myself about the different types of hay, grain, how they effect each horse, the frequency of feeding, etc. The philosophies I've encountered here are quite different, so as an amateur buying horses in Europe (after a long break from riding), I adopted a just-go-with-the-pros kind of attitude, which in hindsight has been irresponsible.

The lack of turnout bothers me, but I've yet to find an international-level showjumping barn over here that believes in doing it universally, every day. The hot walker and hand-walking seem to be the rule of thumb, and turnout seems to be seen as the best way to injure your horse. Or make it "lazy". I suppose in a small country dominated by professional riders producing horses for sale and visibility, not doing it is seen as pragmatic. But it is completely exasperating

As far as the horses going nuts with energy and being rideable, they mostly seem to have adapted by the time they've reached relative maturity... most are brought in from the field at 3 or 4 and go straight into training. But yes, on the whole, I've found the horses here to be more difficult than I expected. I was told pretty quickly the quiet ones are sent to America and elsewhere.

Regarding colic, in eight months between three barns, I've seen one minor case... but she only needed an injection and came out fine. I'm apprehensive about it at my new stable with the limited hay. We definitely have one major cribber, which as I understand it, is likely due to ulcers, so yes, they are a problem.

I've ordered three different type of pellet/treat dispensing balls, a hay slow feeder, a stall pacifier, himalayan salt licks, and will pick up the hay cubes and pellets this week. Now to sell a kidney to afford the board hike I'm sure I'll be paying for extra hay... hopefully my trainer will come around.
              Last edited by brightlights; Aug. 14, 2017, 11:02 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

How about you purchase your own extra hay and store a bale or two at your home and fill the nets yourself for when you're at the barn? And maybe just leave extra nets for BO to feed when you're not there. I used to carry a full bale of hay in the trunk of my car so I could give extra after I rode. Tried leaving it at the barn but it mysteriously disappeared.
                "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

Isn't it amazing how adaptable horses are, and how top notch care varies around the world? I think it's so interesting to hear how it's done elsewhere Best of luck brightlights! Do share more about your experiences abroad!

Comment

• Original Poster

Maria, thank you! It's crossed my mind. If all else fails, that's what I'll do I've honestly been up tossing and turning for the last few nights over this hay matter... it's super nice to have another horse person give me permission, so to speak. Feeding philosophies and all levels of barn management are so extremely personal here. I feel like I'm always on the verge of stepping on toes/ being "so" amateurish (fine by me, I'm a dang amateur!)/ being American. Moving on... I do love so much about the horse world here. Questioning policy is just a bit like talking about religion or politics...

And yes, Simkie! Horses are amazing! Getting back into them has been the joy of my life.

Thank you for the well wishes. It's been so interesting to start riding again in a new country and see all of the changes to the sport in the last 5-10 years, as well as all the different approaches in Europe to just about everything. I honestly have no gauge for what it's like in America anymore (so forgive me if I embarrass myself, haha). A-shows ruled and there were a lot fewer junior riders doing the big grand prix classes when I stopped!

We seem to have amazing show facilities around every corner, several national and international shows within an hour's drive every week, and the big shocker for me: Unless it's a multi-day show, aside from the one class they're entered in, the horses stay on the trailer (and are totally chill about it) the entire time.

It's such a professional-driven industry over here that it was difficult for me to find a trainer as an amateur coming back into the sport. Boarding client barns aren't really a thing (I'm generalizing... but hardly) unless it's a stable for pony riders, a farmer/ hobbyist renting out boxes, or a big name, world cup type rider charging the moon and stars.

I will say that it's a super small world and everyone knows everyone else's business, but that's not so different from what I remember

There are fantastic, multi-year college programs for grooming (and of course equine science and stable management programs) with work placement in most of the top barns. It's wonderful. I'm aware programs exist in America, I just hadn't known anyone who'd attended!

I have also ridden so. many. stallions since I've been here. And they've all been lovely, [reasonably] well-mannered, and not at all the ogres I expected.

Finally, everyone breeds horses. So many riders have at least a few homebred horses every year, and so many good horses come from hobbyists and backyards. I've learned as much about bloodlines and embryo transfers and pairing complementary traits as anything else.

It's really an adventure. The good outweighs the bad, but I will say my horses are my babies and that's not a super popular position over here!

Comment

Working...
                    X