• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who has to hold farriers hand? "oops, left a flair here", "he's still high on inside"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has to hold farriers hand? "oops, left a flair here", "he's still high on inside"

Now, I don't see dead people, but I certainly can see balanced feet! I have always had quite the eye for details, balance, flair, toe length - all without gages and toe leveler (and then I back up my findings with exact measurements from gages and toe leveler). Am I alone?

Do most people just not pay attention to details, not know better, or do they also have to give their farrier "guidance"?

(I am probably not the typical horse owner: almost 40 yrs experience, farm owner, breeder, FEI rider).

Between this and your other thread, if you're that unsatisfied with your farrier, then move on.

Find one up to your standards *and* willing to work with you.

Comment

I feel the same way. If you are not satisfied with your farrier then switch. If I have an issue with one of my horse's feet I will discuss with my farrier but that is rare. He is the professional and takes pride in his work.

Comment

I left one when it became clear that if I wanted my horse's feet trimmed properly, I was going to have to spell it out. I asked another of that farrier's clients what she did, as her horse's feet looked better than my mare's, and she said she had to tell him to keep her horse's toes short.

I didn't think there was much point in paying the guy if I had to tell him how to do his job, so I found someone else. I don't have to tell her what to do; she knows her job. Mare is now very sound and moving very well, and her feet no longer look like bells.

I think many people don't know what a balanced trim looks like. They're happy with farrier's work if horse stays sound and keeps his shoes on (for 8 weeks, or 12 weeks or whatever ).
        Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

If you can see that and he can't, then he needs to go, and you need to either find someone who CAN see that and do the job, or do the job yourself

Comment

Now you know why so many of us on here learned to trim

I suggest you do the same, it will save you a lot of aggravation and when something goes wrong you can only blame yourself.

You can then find a farrier who will shoe your trim if your horse needs shoes. Best of both worlds IMO.
            "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
            ---
            The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Oh gosh, for a minute I thought it was April 1.

Comment

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                You can then find a farrier who will shoe your trim if your horse needs shoes. Best of both worlds IMO.
                If you mess up a trim, the horse can rebalance it for you. If your farrier is soooooo bad that you need to trim before he shoes, that's laughable. I can't imagine a farrier willing to shoe someone else's trim.
                Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yep! I hear you guys! Thanks for the confirmation! Now, will someone please check out my thread in Off Course about needing SALES help: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=263083

EqTrainer

Now you know why so many of us on here learned to trim

I suggest you do the same, it will save you a lot of aggravation and when something goes wrong you can only blame yourself.

Bingo! Well, this is obviously part of my "problem"! I already DO trim, and have been doing so for about 8 yrs. I have also taught myself to shoe.
                  I.
                  Simply.
                  Can't.
                  Trim.
                  Horses.
                  Feet.
                  By.
                  Myself.

This little body just can't do it all like it once could. (I like my back! )

Comment

Originally posted by citydog View Post
                    Between this and your other thread, if you're that unsatisfied with your farrier, then move on.

Find one up to your standards *and* willing to work with you.
                    This!

You obviously require a very special farrier. It might take you a while to find just the right one that can give you the service you require with that does the trim just the way you want it, but please do not torture every farrier trying to make them into that farrier.

I just do not get (in this thread or your other one complaining about the exact same situation) why, if this farrier did this horrible of a job you did not notice and correct the situation while the farrier was still there. You say he did 17 horses. That is a lot of feet to be that bad and for someone who knows as much as you do to not say a word about it.

Comment

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                      If you mess up a trim, the horse can rebalance it for you. If your farrier is soooooo bad that you need to trim before he shoes, that's laughable. I can't imagine a farrier willing to shoe someone else's trim.

Mine will. It's not that he's a bad farrier or trimmer, it's that he is a pretty ego-free guy who knows that since I trim my own that I am the person who knows the most about them and can them their best trim. Besides that he gets paid the same amount either way so in the end it's all the same to him...

But mostly it's a nice thing, took a little thinking out of the box in the beginning but he always wants what is best for the horse.
                      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                      ---
                      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                        If you mess up a trim, the horse can rebalance it for you.
                        Not always

If your farrier is soooooo bad that you need to trim before he shoes, that's laughable. I can't imagine a farrier willing to shoe someone else's trim.
                        Who said anything about the farrier being so bad he couldn't trim? If he WAS that bad at trimming, I sure wouldn't have him put shoes on.

Maybe it's a matter of the trimmer not having the desire to learn to put shoes on

Comment

Originally posted by Fantastic View Post
                          I.
                          Simply.
                          Can't.
                          Trim.
                          Horses.
                          Feet.
                          By.
                          Myself.

This little body just can't do it all like it once could. (I like my back! )
                          How many are you trying to trim in the same day? How often do these feet need trimming?

Trimming 3 every weekend would put everyone on roughly a 6 week schedule. Trimming 3 twice a week puts them on a 3-ish week schedule.

Comment

Anybody can make a mistake, or sometimes when it's 1,000 degrees outside, you've been bent over with your head beneath your butt for 6 hours, and sweat is burning your eyeballs - you might not get something quite right. When I'm done with the trim, I stand back and look at all 4. I go back and tweak anything that needs tweaking. Sometimes the owner will ask about this or that, usually it's just my own desire for perfection that drives me to pick up the foot one more time and fix something I'm not quite happy with.

I currently trim the horses of another trimmer who quit doing it because of her back. That was a bit scary at first but she's a great lady and we have fun together I also trimmed a Draft that belonged to a Farrier. He was injured and couldn't trim for a few months. Horse's feet were a disaster and needed shoeing so I did what I could and gave him a phone number. A farrier here asked me if I would trim his broodmares because he just doesn't have time. I never did because they're half wild and get done 2x a year and that's not the kind of work I want. I also trimmed horses for a lady who is Strasser trained and normally has a Strasser trimmer, but that trimmer hasn't been good about scheduling lately. She ended up not calling me back, presumably because I didn't take off enough foot for her liking. She had made comments about needing to cut out more of this or more of that, and I didn't want to do it. In another situation, I trimmed 2 Drafts then the owner had an Amish farrier nail shoes onto my trim. She said he's very good at shaping shoes and does hot fitting but his trimming skills are terrible. That was certainly an interesting situation for me!

It seems fairly common to trim horses for somebody who knows how to trim, or is certified themselves. I would just be up front about your expectations and your knowledge.

Comment

I am looking for someone to trim for me. Is the op available?
                              Eric Russell CJF

Comment

My patients (usually) don't tell me what tests to order, what meds to prescribe, or what decisions to make.

I don't tell my farrier how to do his job.

Both of us welcome questions intended to increase understanding and to clarify a game plan.

If a practitioner does crappy work, don't continue to use their services. If you think you can do better, strap on the apron and have at it.
                                Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post

I don't tell my farrier how to do his job.
                                  This.

I am lucky now that I have a GREAT farrier. However, in the past I've had pretty good (respected) farriers who would always leave the horse with the same flare. Weird. Still you can't tell a farrier how to do his job. Make a suggestion, have a discussion, but if it doesn't work out, then you need to come to terms. Either accept what you have or move on.

Comment

Now, I don't see dead people, but I certainly can see balanced feet! I have always had quite the eye for details, balance, flair, toe length - all without gages and toe leveler (and then I back up my findings with exact measurements from gages and toe leveler). Am I alone?
                                    No. A few other horse owners.trainers also try to tell their chosen professional how to do their job. If they pull hoof guages out with me, its the last time they will see me, since I recommend hoof guages are better used for paper weights.
                                    Do most people just not pay attention to details, not know better, or do they also have to give their farrier "guidance"?
                                    I am hired to give my horse owners guidance, not the other way around. As are all professional farriers.
                                    Patty Stiller CNBBT,CNBF,CLS, CE
                                    Natural Balance Certified Lameness Specialist ,instructor.
                                    www.hoofcareonline.com

Comment

• Original Poster

I am hired to give my horse owners guidance, not the other way around. As are all professional farriers.
                                      So, if I don't give him guidance, does that make him and his work "professional"? Do professional farriers leave flair, high medial, and shoe to flair, or would you consider such a farrier to be unprofessional? (Sorry, just funnin'! I couldn't resist!).

Comment

• Original Poster

Trubandloki wrote:

You obviously require a very special farrier.
                                        HUH? Since when is medial/lateral balance, matching angles, and flairs removed a "special" requirement in a farrier? Heck, that is just a good foundation of a job well done!!

You say he did 17 horses. That is a lot of feet to be that bad and for someone who knows as much as you do to not say a word about it.
                                        Nowhere did I say that he did 17 horses! Nor did a "not say a word about it" with the ones that he did work on.

Comment

Working...
                                        X