• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who uses Calf Manna? Who REMEMBERS Calf Manna?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love calf manna! For me it put weight on a pregnant rescue belgian, a skinny TB, and it has helped turn around an anemic orphaned (at 4 mos) foal.

I give my TB 1 & 1/2 cups with each feeding and my vet has me giving 50/50 grain/manna to the filly (now almost 10 mos old). Love it!

I didn't know it helped hair growth but now that its been mentioned my TBs tail and mane grow insanely fast... I banged her tail from the ground to her hocks in July and its almost to the ground again.. mane was pulled in late Sept and it is too long for my taste again. Hmmm.

Comment

Nothing special and can be found (except the corn) in complete feeds like Triple Crown Complete.
      No, there's nothing special except that it is a supplement and made to be fed in small quantities; you're comparing apples to oranges (a supplement with high protein compared to a horse feed with lower protein). Calf Manna is just another tool for people who don't want to feed a lot of grains to their horse(s). I think it's 32% protein for those who like to know those numbers. In small quantities it can help with weight gain but in larger quantities it can send a horse through the roof so start on the low side and wait a couple weeks before increasing the amount. Your horse will tell you when he/she has reached his/her limit....

And Calf Manna was formulated long, long before the Triple Crown products. TC is just trying to improve on an old idea.....
      "I'm not much into conspiracy theories but if everyone thinks alike you don't need a plot!" ~person from another bulletin board whose name has been long forgotten~

Comment

I was not comparing the two products, merely pointing out that all those ingredients are already present in complete feeds, making supplementation unnecesary. Why feed a "supplement" in addition to feed when you can get the same, if not better results, using a beet pulp based complete feed?
        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Yep, I use it--a cup in each feeding for the TB, and only 1 cup in the evening for my easy-keeper (who get a different concentrated ration in the mornings. It's definitely helped the hoof growth on my guys, and they eat it up so happily!
          Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

Yep, I remember CF!!! We feed that and clovite back in the 70's and 80's. After reading this maybe I should consider it for my skinny OTTB. He needs weight and to grow his silly looking tail!!!

I can't believe how many people are still feeding it!!!

Comment

Blast from the past when it was about all you could get supplement wise.

Well remember Clovite and Formula 707 as the vitamin choices (as I recall, Colvite was mainly available thru vets).

We used to feed about a handful of Calf Manna twice a day for a slick coat and that show horse "bloom".

Now you walk into the tack/feed store and there are 3 aisles of stuff...most of which does the same thing only costs more in a durn purty package.
              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Super great stuff! We've used it for years for our pregnant mares and foals when weaning. A little goes a long way! We don't use the little box anymore. Instead we use a plastic 1/2 cup measure and give one measure to each adult horse each morning.

Comment

Another feeling old here!
                  Calf Manna was one of the few "supplements" that owners I knew fed!
                  Oh, the wormer issue! Used to get little silver bags of powdered wormer. Then you had to figure out how to get your horse to eat it in his grain. Some swore by freezing it, others added Kool Ade, Im sure there were more techniques too. Of course none of them worked on a picky horse so at least once a year the vet would come and put the tube down the horse's nose to get the stuff into him! In between time, you did what you could, but it wasnt real effective. And when ivermectin was first being used, it was injected by the vet. After a couple of horses around here died from reactions, people shied away from that. Many were really slow to be convinced that paste wormers really worked and you didnt need to subject your horse to the vet tubing.
                  If you had a lame horse, the vet was really limited in diganostics. Not all had X-ray machines (and those machines were large!) No ultrasound etc. Which is just as well, since there were very few treatments beyond old folk remedies, common sense precautions, time and "Dr Green" (throw him out on pasture for a couple months and see if he comes back sound!)
                  Some things about the good old days weren't so good!

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                    I was not comparing the two products, merely pointing out that all those ingredients are already present in complete feeds, making supplementation unnecesary. Why feed a "supplement" in addition to feed when you can get the same, if not better results, using a beet pulp based complete feed?
                    Unfortunately my guy needed more protein than his 14% beet pulp based complete feed. Others that are down in weight or under high stress might also need more protein.

And OMG, I fed Clovits a long time ago! Really, that was good stuff!
                    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
                    5/5/84-7/12/08

Comment

OK, I'm digressing -- back in those "good old days" that MsM mentioned -- we were told to use packets of Bull Durham tobacco to worm my first horse. The old man who dispensed this valuable information was an old-time cowboy and horse trader. The same old man who sold us this mare as a 7-year-old, when in fact she was at least twice that age. No matter, she was the perfect horse for my first.

We only "wormed" her once using Bull Durham before someone else clued us into the vet's tube worming and packets of worming medicine. I think the tobacco actually did expel a few worms. Evidently the tobacco will kill or anesthetize at least some of the worms in a horse's gut.

Shortly thereafter, we learned about Calf Manna for horses. We fed it for years and years to all sorts of horses --pregnant, lactating, weanlings, horses in work. It was a good all purpose supplement!

Comment

Yup - a plug of tobacco is the old-timey method of worming. I don't know how effective it was - but nicotine poisoning does kill bugs on my roses!

Anyone ever heard of a manure tea? About a year ago I was at a feed store talking to an old horseman and he mentioned having to give a manure tea to a horse.

I thought geez - nowadays there are a lot of products that accomplish what he wants without the ick factor. But - that's what folks used to do and I guess it worked to some extent....
                        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Tobacco killed the Bots...disgusting, the carcasses would be in the manure. Kind of doubt it did much for the rest of the worm varieties.

I remember the fasting before and after the tubing and the advent of the ivermectin injections.

God, I feel old.
                          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

J Swan, what would a manure tea do to/for a horse? This one's new to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                              Because one is feeding it for the protein. As I said I feed the Purina version, Animax, which is 28% protein. I feed it in addition to Purina Strategy and local grass hay. Alfalfa is ridiculously expensive in my area, and I know of no "beet pulp based complete feed" that would meet the feeding needs for my lactating broodmares and growing horses. I can keep my horses on the same amount of strategy and hay and just up the animax when they have the additional need, and decrease it when they don't.

Comment

My daughter's horse was on a box of it each night when we got him in the mid 90's. He looked and went great then and still gets it. I guess it takes a larger dose to be an energy booster....because he's never been a bundle of energy, just very laid back! (Not complaining though!)

Comment

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember all that stuff, and when I first saw that big H/J barns were using Orvus shampoo to wash horses....I thought the stuff was magic, hard in cold, amber liquid in heat! Then I found out it was just SLS....yuck....

Sigh...I was JUST about to maybe add CM to my guys new diet, except that it has soy in it.... I think my QH mare is reactive to it, so off of soy everyone goes.....
                                  "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Comment

It's fine, I've used it (although I hate the smell) but there are more modern products that also fit the bill, so it wouldn't be my first choice. Still, it's a collection of nutrients, nothing more and nothing less, so if its particular combination were what a horse of mine needed, sure I'd get some.

that's what folks used to do and I guess it worked to some extent
                                    I disagree. Just because an animal survives some barbaric treatment doesn't mean it "worked". Of course 30 years from now there will doubtless be a lot of about what we consider modern and wonderful treatments, but resurrecting or perpetuating the old and questionable (if not downright scary) just because of nostalgia is nuts.
                                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Love the calf manna for the younger horses.
                                      Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

My vet recommeneds Calf Manna for ulcer prone/ulcer prevention because of the high calcium. The "old" clients know what he is talking about. The "young" ones have to google Calf Manna.

Comment

Clovite and Calf Manna - a trip down memory lane!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X