• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

After Care Post OCD Surgery - Esp Hock?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Care Post OCD Surgery - Esp Hock?

It is 1 week post OCD surgery for my coming 3 y/o Oldenburg. He only had a DIRT lesion in the right hock. Had the surgery, everything went perfectly, and he is currently on stall rest. I have to keep the hock wrapped for 16 days and he is confined to a stall for 3 weeks. Then small paddock for another 3-4 weeks. So far, so good and no tranqs!

My question is moreso regarding the after care TO the hock. It is recommended to inject the hock at the 2 week post surgery mark. This is when the stitches are coming out. It is also recommended to start him on Adequan for the loading dose for the 28 days, then once every 2 weeks, then once a month, etc.

When I was speaking to vet about the surgery and aftercare, etc, I was not told about the above extras. I had been in contact with my vet at my large clinic off and on since I purchased the gelding b/c of the OCD and wanting clarification, etc.

I had saved up enough money for the surgery and all meds/xrays needed for it. I am not prepared at the moment or for some months, to do the injections (hock and Adequan) esp since I had my mares hocks done on the same visit to drop off my gelding for his surgery.

I dont want to fudge anything and not do whatever needed to ensure a successful outcome for the surgery. However, I am just not in the position to buy a box (well Id get the multidose vial) of Adequan and get his hock injected (which would entail me hauling 2 hours back to the clinic as there are only 1-2 vets here that inject and I am not comfortable with either of them). So thats added cost as well.

For those who have personal experience with OCD surgeries, esp in the hock, what was recommended for your horse, regarding aftercare, such as injections, joint supplements, etc?
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I just had my 15.3h, 14 mos. old Oldenburg colt's OCD right hock done on Friday. I am going to pick him up today.

When I spoke to the vet from Texas A&M who did the surgery regarding after care, he said my colt would be on stall rest with progressive hand walking for 6 weeks then very limited small paddock turnout for another 6 weeks. They will remove the stitches and inject the hock at 2 weeks with hyaluronic acid. I specifically asked about Adequan and he said no Adequan would be required, just the HA.
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

Comment

I've had two horses undergo OCD surgery -- both were stifles, not hocks. First one we did inject the stifle about the same time you are talking about (when stitches removed), and seems that we did him again right before he went back to work. No Adequan/Legend for him.

Second one, we did the 7-vial Adequan and a Legend somewhere in that first month or two following surgery (he was at a rehab place, so I didn't do it, just paid the bills, so my memory isn't that great!). I don't recall that we injected the stifle as a matter of course, but when he was ready to go to pasture turnout, there was still some effusion on one joint, so we did inject it then.

I guess if I was in your shoes, I'd talk to the vet/surgeon and basically tell them you have to budget and might not be able to do EVERYTHING, so what would they recommend. Given some parameters, they can probably steer you in the best "bang for the buck" direction since they know the horse.

Good luck with him!

Comment

I would have to agree with Horsepoor. Just tell the vet that you can't do all of it financially, at least not all right now and ask what is most important and what could wait until you can afford it. I can certainly feel your pain on this one.
        I had surgery on both my horse's hocks 3 years ago. I think we kept the hocks wrapped (not an easy proposition!) for two weeks, until the stitches came out. She was stall bound for a month, but we had a 12x24 stall and she behaved nicely,except during a couple storms. I did hand walk and graze her daily, BECAUSE she was always good. My vet told me sometimes it is better to never take them out, because that can just make them worse, but she was always good and never did a silly thing. The second month, she was allowed VERY limited turnout, which consisted of a 12x24 paddock that came off her stall, so she could go in and out all day, but she was locked inside at night. It had a 5 foot fence around it, too. About 2 weeks before she was allowed regular turnout, my vet came and injected both hocks. I can't remember if he just did HA or if there was also steroid in there. I know he talked to the surgeon directly to see what he wanted. The surgeon did not recommend Adequan or Legend, but my vet did suggest a joint supplement and she has been on that ever since. I think most of it has to do with your particular surgeon's preference for post treatment, so just being honest with your financial situation is probably the best bet and find out what he thinks is most necessary. I broke my horse about a month after returning her to full turnout (the vet had said I could do it sooner).

Comment

I asked my vet about your question when I picked my colt up today. He said it is possible that due to the age of your horse (3 years vs. my 14 mos old) that if the OCD had occured earlier (as in the case of my colt) but the surgery was delayed until age 3, the bone chip could have caused more damage to the joint cartilage that was not visable on the x-rays and was only discovered once the surgeon actually looked inside the joint during surgery. In that case the Adequan treatment would be necessary. This may be why the vet did not include it in the estimate for your surgery since the need for Adequan is unlikely if the damage is negligible or very minimal if the surgery is done very soon after the OCD occurs.

Good luck to you!
          Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
          Boerne, Texas
          830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
          www.firstflightfarm.com
          FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
          FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

Comment

• Original Poster

Great replies everyone. Very helpful so thank you.

When I spoke to the vet after the surgery, he said everything went perfectly and there was no damage to the joint. The OCD was found at 2 yrs of age and I had to wait 1 year to save up. There was never any lameness or gait abnormalities so my vet was confident he would have no residual issues with this hock due to the OCD.

And yes, keeping a hock wrapped, esp for 2 weeks, SUCKS. Though I am getting better and quicker at wrapping it every day. Luckily, even at 3 y/o (well on 6/7/10 he will be) he is extremely quiet and well behaved esp for being on strict stall rest. His stall is 10x20 but he doesnt run around or do anything silly. Yesterday was the first day for hand walking. Again, hes perfect. I am so fortunate that he is so easy going as even my 15 y/o mare cannot be confined to a stall for even two days!

I will be shooting my vet an email and see what he says. I just dont want to spend the money on this surgery and not do everything I should to make sure it does its best for him. But if you cant afford it, what are you supposed to do?

Thanks for everyones replies and experiences. If anyone else has any more experiences to add, I would love to hear about them, even if its not a hock lesion.
            ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Comment

My case is slightly different from yours, in that my horse's hock OCD was not discovered until he was 13 -- I know, crazy -- the vet at New Bolton said it's really uncommon, but does happen occasionally. Anyway, he had surgery 2 years ago, similar recovery periods to your horse. He had the HA injection, but no Adequan. He's now in his second season of post-surgery endurance competitions and is 100% sound.
              RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Comment

My mare had 2 OCD lesions removed at Texas A&M almost 3 weeks ago but hers are fetlocks, not hocks. We go back Thursday (exactly 3 weeks post op) for HA injections. That was definitely part of the post op care that I was told was necessary. My mare flexed 100% sound on concrete prior to the surgery and also had absolutely NO joint damage from the OCD lesions (thankfully.)

Like the OP, my vet said since there was no lameness and no joint damage, my mare should not have any lingering issues or any future problems due to the OCD lesions. (That is, no increased chance of arthritis, no increased chance of future joint problems of any kind, etc.)

She is on a loading dose of Adequan but I specifically asked about that. The vet basically said if I wanted to do absolutely everything possible for her, to go ahead and do it. Since my mare was 100% sound before surgery (everything showed up on PPE x-rays - I was the seller) and is in work, I decided to spend the extra money on the Adequan. But, my impression from the vet was that it was *not* necessary. Just an extra precaution that I chose to take.

Comment

• Original Poster

inca, thanks for that post. This is the impression I got from my vet regarding the Adequan. I wanted to get my geldings surgery done BEFORE I put him into work esp b/c I was scared to even do basic round pen work with him knowing that the OCD lesion was there. I was scared I was going to cause it to be more of a problem.

My vet is out of town today but I sent an email. Hopefully will hear back shortly.
                  ~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                  X