• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pure biotin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure biotin?

Can anyone suggest an affordable source of pure biotin? All of the supplements I've been looking at have loads of other things thrown into them... I'm looking to add 25-50 mg/day to my OTTB mare's diet to help her stereotypical TB feet perk up a bit.

Thanks for any suggestions!

We swear by this stuff, Gatco GelBio. Have used it for years, have seen the difference it makes in our own horses' hooves. Other boarders use it on their horses as well, and we've all seen the difference. It does not have anything else in it, not vitamin B, etc., just Gelatin plus biotin. No side effects.

Gatco Gelatin + Biotin. It has really and truly worked, and I am quite a skeptic when it comes to any type of supplement.

Here's a link: http://www.gelatininnovations.com/pa...in_biotin.html

The people there are super nice, order is mailed out that same day and we usually receive it in just 2 days.

Comment

Something to chew on - it's much more likely a horse is deficient in methionine than biotin.

There's a reason hoof supplements include things like methionine in their formula - biotin can't work without it.

Horses are generally really good at making their own biotin.

Also, hoof health isn't just or only about biotin. It takes enough quality proteins (ie methionine, but also lysine and others), to get the job done. What is the horse's whole diet? It may be as simple as adding Uckele's Tri-Amino which includes lysine and methionine.

Comment

A "pure" biotin supplement might not do much good.

It's been found that methionine and zinc are also key compoments along with bioton for hoof quality, and are usually found in most hoof supplement.

Handy chart to compare amounts/prices:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/charts/HoofCompare.html

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JB View Post
          Something to chew on - it's much more likely a horse is deficient in methionine than biotin.

There's a reason hoof supplements include things like methionine in their formula - biotin can't work without it.

Horses are generally really good at making their own biotin.

Also, hoof health isn't just or only about biotin. It takes enough quality proteins (ie methionine, but also lysine and others), to get the job done. What is the horse's whole diet? It may be as simple as adding Uckele's Tri-Amino which includes lysine and methionine.
          Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original post.

My mare's diet consists of (split between two meals):
          2 lbs alfalfa pellets
          1 lb rice bran
          1 cup flax seed
          2 handfuls of oats
          Vit/Min supp
          15,000 mg MSM
          1/2 cup raspberry leaves
          1 scoop Tri-Aminos (I think the scoop holds 20 grams?)

She is also out on pasture, and gets a good amount of grass hay morning and night. So, she has the amino acids and vitamin/minerals covered, which is why I'm looking for pure biotin.

Comment

Biotin is easy enough to get

Originally posted by BrightandClear View Post
            Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original post.

My mare's diet consists of (split between two meals):
            2 lbs alfalfa pellets
            1 lb rice bran
            1 cup flax seed
            2 handfuls of oats
            Vit/Min supp
            15,000 mg MSM
            1/2 cup raspberry leaves
            1 scoop Tri-Aminos (I think the scoop holds 20 grams?)

She is also out on pasture, and gets a good amount of grass hay morning and night. So, she has the amino acids and vitamin/minerals covered, which is why I'm looking for pure biotin.
            if you call Foxden Equine we can supply you with some since we use it in several mixes.

However it might well not be enough on it's own. but give it a try and if it does not do enough, then get back to me for some other suggestions.
            MW
            Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
            Sign up for the Equine nutrition enewsletter on www.foxdenequine.com
            New edition of book is out:
            Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Melyni View Post
              if you call Foxden Equine we can supply you with some since we use it in several mixes.

However it might well not be enough on it's own. but give it a try and if it does not do enough, then get back to me for some other suggestions.
              MW
              How long would you suggest for assessing just the biotin? My farrier said it could take many months to see an improvement.

Comment

tri-Amino is 10gm lysine, 5 methionine, and 2 threonine, for a total of 17gm of "stuff" per scoop

Have you tried a probiotic for a while? Even though horses are generally very well equipped to make their own biotin, if the digestive system isn't fully functional, it can mean they don't make enough. Adding more doesn't fix the underlying problem, though the symptoms can certainly go away. But then you're stuck feeding the biotin. Ulcers can do the same thing, as they can be a cause of ineffective digestion (think of all the thin horses who can't gain weight no matter how much food they eat).

I'm just trying to help you try to figure out if there is an underlying issue so that you don't end up relying on this and that supplement, forever, to get the job done

Comment

How long would you suggest for assessing just the biotin? My farrier said it could take many months to see an improvement.
                  You'd have to wait a few months to see enough new growth at the coronet band to begin to judge the quality. Even then, it may take 6-9 months for that new horn to reach the ground, or close enough, to see what its quality really is.

Comment

• Original Poster

tri-Amino is 10gm lysine, 5 methionine, and 2 threonine, for a total of 17gm of "stuff" per scoop

Have you tried a probiotic for a while? Even though horses are generally very well equipped to make their own biotin, if the digestive system isn't fully functional, it can mean they don't make enough. Adding more doesn't fix the underlying problem, though the symptoms can certainly go away. But then you're stuck feeding the biotin. Ulcers can do the same thing, as they can be a cause of ineffective digestion (think of all the thin horses who can't gain weight no matter how much food they eat).

I'm just trying to help you try to figure out if there is an underlying issue so that you don't end up relying on this and that supplement, forever, to get the job done
                    And I certainly appreciate the help!

I have not tried a probiotic. To be honest, they intimidate me. I have no idea what to look for in one/how to separate the good from the bad. It's been on the list to research for a while now, but I just haven't gotten to it.

Weird thing with the Tri-Amino. I just had two new jars delivered and on the label it lists the scoop as 20 grams, and then gives the amino acids values you listed above, which add up to 17 grams... Not that it really matters, but I thought it was odd.

You'd have to wait a few months to see enough new growth at the coronet band to begin to judge the quality. Even then, it may take 6-9 months for that new horn to reach the ground, or close enough, to see what its quality really is.
                    That's what the farrier said. I hate waiting.

Comment

I have not tried a probiotic. To be honest, they intimidate me. I have no idea what to look for in one/how to separate the good from the bad. It's been on the list to research for a while now, but I just haven't gotten to it.
                      FastTrack and Probios are 2 that are probably relatively readily available locally. It's hard, actually, do go really wrong with a probiotic. Do you know which ones are available in your local stores?

Weird thing with the Tri-Amino. I just had two new jars delivered and on the label it lists the scoop as 20 grams, and then gives the amino acids values you listed above, which add up to 17 grams... Not that it really matters, but I thought it was odd.
                      Odd indeed - I'll have to check my containers. I know the website says a 2lb container is 53 scoops, which works out to 17gm/scoop.

That's what the farrier said. I hate waiting.
                      LOL, yeah, when it comes to the feet, nothing is ever very instant.

Comment

Your farrier is right.

The hoof grows down from the coronary band, and it takes on average 6 months for the horn to grow from the top of the hoof to the toe, less at the heels.
                        So if the biotin is working you should see stronger, thicker, better horn begin to appear at the top of the hoof in about 4 weeks and slowly grow down as the hoof grows.

Basically rings of thicker stronger horn appear at the top and grow down. After about 4-6 months they are all the way to the bottom.

So allow 6-8 weeks of supplementation before you decide whether or not it is working.

Yours
                        MW

Comment

The balance is probably something to keep it a loose powder. Amino-acids are often fiercely hydroscopic and absorb water from the air. If you don't keep a dessicant in them they turn to a solid block very quickly.
                          MW

Comment

• Original Poster

FastTrack and Probios are 2 that are probably relatively readily available locally. It's hard, actually, do go really wrong with a probiotic. Do you know which ones are available in your local stores?
                            I've seen both of the above. The feed store also carries the Doctor's Choice line of supplements, including their probiotic.
                            http://www.equishine.com/horse-suppl...supplement.htm

yeah, when it comes to the feet, nothing is ever very instant.
                            Except nailing shoes on, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid...

The balance is probably something to keep it a loose powder. Amino-acids are often fiercely hydroscopic and absorb water from the air. If you don't keep a dessicant in them they turn to a solid block very quickly.
                            MW
                            Well, that makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

MW
                              Except that, 2lb x 454gm / 53 scoops is 17gm (and slight change)

Comment

• Original Poster

Except that, 2lb x 454gm / 53 scoops is 17gm (and slight change)
                                Just to make it even more confusing, when I ordered the tri-aminos, their catalogue listed the jars as a 45 day supply. However, I believe the jars themselves say 53 days.

Comment

LMAO!! I give, I give! The online catalog still says 53 scoops - were you looking at a hard copy?

Comment

Keratex Hoof Hardener works quickly to improve hoof strength by crosslinking the proteins that make up the hoof wall. You should see noticeable improvement in 4 weeks or less if applied daily. For sole thickening go with Durasole.

Comment

• Original Poster

LMAO!! I give, I give! The online catalog still says 53 scoops - were you looking at a hard copy?
                                      Yep, it was hard copy. I ordered from the Uckele booth at the Midwest Horse Fair. I notice the discrepancy at the time, as I'd already looked at the product online, but figured I was just remembering wrong.

Originally posted by rcloisonne View Post
                                      Keratex Hoof Hardener works quickly to improve hoof strength by crosslinking the proteins that make up the hoof wall. You should see noticeable improvement in 4 weeks or less if applied daily. For sole thickening go with Durasole.
                                      Can you use both? She needs more sole, and stronger walls (too much chipping). I use a typical hoof conditioner a couple times a week to deal with moisture balance, which has helped with the cracking, but she still needs to grow stronger, more plentiful hoof.

Comment

Yes, you can use the Keratex hoof hardener on the outside, and the Durasole on the sole (and frog if necessary)

Comment

Working...
                                        X