• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can you talk to me about rehabbing after soft tissue injury?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you talk to me about rehabbing after soft tissue injury?

My mare injured her left foreleg six weeks ago. It was diagnosed via ultrasound as a sprain, and included tears in a variety of structures (not sure all which ones), but including carpal canal and check ligament. She's been on stall rest with hand-grazing only for three-four weeks, and then I got the OK to start hand-walking, and then riding at the walk with some trot. The trot to the right is reasonably OK. At the trot to the left she is not sound. I continue to do about 10-15 minutes walking, and 30 seconds of trotting (mostly just what I call diagnostic trotting) a day. She isn't getting worse, but is also not getting better. Vet thought when ultrasounded in the second time and saw the improvement that she'd be more sound than she is. He's involved, of course, but I would really benefit from some words of encourgement that this, too, shall eventually pass. How long did it take you? How did you balance keeping the horse moving but not moving too much. (I'm using reerpine and ace to keep her from killing me undersaddle from time to time.)

I'd double the rest time, double the hand-walking time, double the ridden walking time, before starting to trot. There is no real recipe, but nobody ever complained of giving more time of rest and walking. So, for me, given what you've said, I'd go back to a few more weeks of rest, a couple of weeks of hand walking, and then 2-4 weeks of walking under saddle before even doing any diagnostic test trot u/s.

Is there a small place she can be turned out, for quiet movement, where she will STAY quiet?

Comment

• Original Poster

No, turnout not really an option for now. She WILL run.

Concern by vet was that the leg be exercised enough to keep adhesions from forming and permanently reducing range of motion, as I understand it.

obviously, I'm due for much more walking.

Is this unusual?

Comment

If the horse is still unsound, I might consider additional diagnostics. Either the strain is worse or has worsened or else there might be something else going on.

Barring that I would do another 2-3 weeks of stall rest with wrapping/Surpass (did you use Surpass initially). Then restart the slow progress of work. I would not continue encouring anything more than limited motion on a soft tissue injury that has clearly not healed.

Is ultrasounding a possibility to help prevent the adhesion? A gelding with suspensory strain had that done at my barn and it seemed to have a very, very good outcome.

Really, if it were me-- I'd be going for more diagnostics-- potentially even an MRI. Until you're 100% sure WHAT is wrong it's REALLY hard to get it fixed.
        ~Veronica
        "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
        http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

If there really were tears, then IMVHO your vet's outlaid program was much too liberal. So no, I don't think it's at all unusual to be looking at more rest and hand walking.

Comment

I think I'd want to know exactly what structures were involved and how bad the damage was first of all.

And I'd stop with the trotting and walk, walk, walk, in hand until your brains fall out. Then try a diagnostic trot in hand. Once you've got that OK, and can trot in hand comfortably for a decent distance (I have used "until my lungs are about to explode" as a guide... but you maybe in better shape and not live on a mountainside at 7000 feet,) you can consider getting back on and walking under saddle, and building up to a trot from there. Straight lines only.

It takes quite a bit longer than you think it's going to, but if you rush it, you end up starting all over again.

And if you are trotting in hand, you might want to use a bridle or a chain shank.

I would say it took us from March to November last year to be sound enough to wtc under saddle.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the insight. I've pulled back on my program and gave her two days off and just walked under saddle yesterday with just enough straight-line trotting to see how she was. She is still sound to the right and MUCH improved on the left. So I'm going to continue with much more walking in hand and undersaddle and much less trot.

I had used Surpass on the original injury. Now using that, Traumeel and Sore No More in a bit of a rotation. also recently got the Back on Track wrap boots and putting that on the leg while we graze. And also put her on SmartPak's tendon/ligament supplement.

Vet has been happy with what he's seeing on ultrasound in terms of healing, so I'm not pushing for further interventions quite yet. MRIs and shockwave therapy ain't cheap and insurance doesn't cover major medical on her anymore . . .

Comment

No, it's not cheap. I don't blame you. But I spent a couple months chasing what we thought was ONE injury that turned out to be something entirely different. And the treatment was much different. Once I finally did the MRI, I know what I had and that made a big difference in terms of treatment.

Being cautious never hurt anyone. I'd continue on with the longer-than expected period of rest and see if that helps. I also would just go with the Surpass rather than the Sore No More, etc. I think you're going to get the best theraputic response from the Surpass, and if you use that judiciously it's not SO expensive. Good bang for your buck on that so, if it was me, I'd use that exclusively in terms of topical swelling reduction/pain management.

IIRC you can rent the shockwave machine and do it yourself. Someone at my old barn did that and I don't think it was THAT expensive. Person at the current barn is an MD so just went ahead and bought the machinery ($$$) but I believe you can rent it.
                ~Veronica

Comment

Time. Rest. Walking. And then more time. My horse took over a year until he was able to be turned out (suspensory), and then he seemed to get better much more quickly. I did have to sedate him for turnout initially however.

He is now sound. But it took forEVER.

Comment

I am speaking from experience- more rest is essential! Don't do what I did and give up on it. I now have a 3 yr old filly who is permanently lame because the "sprain" is now an arthritic fetlock joint

Comment

Sometimes things just don't heal as quickly as they should because they are in an area with low blood flow or something. Have you considered another form of therapeutic treatment? Platlet Rich Plasma seems to work very well (even on less than fresh injuries.) There is also stem cell treatment and ultrasound. All of these may help a slow to heal soft tissue injury.
                      "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Patience.........

I'm on month 6 of stall rest for a horse with a torn check ligament. We've been doing walking under saddle since December and have worked up to trotting. He was just cleared for cantering last Friday with a good ultrasound. Still working on straight lines and minimal circles, unless needed for behavioral reasons

Dr. Riddle says 2 more months stall rest and then he can go out in a small area.
                        Alison Howard
                        Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

Comment

For comparison, I have a 17 year old gelding with a severe tear of the straight sesamoidean ligament. It's been two years, 1.5 of which he's been on stall rest. His surgeons finally decided he need to "sh!t or get off the pot" in terms of stall rest; we could never get him quite sound after 9 months of progressive rehab, so we started to turn him out in a small paddock (goal was a pasture ornament). His 24 year old paddock mate got loose late Sunday night, the injured one went bonkers, and now we're back to square 1 with a re-torn ligament (perhaps completely; I take him back tomorrow to find out).

GO SLOWLY.

Granted you're not dealing with a severe tear like I am, but the ligaments & tendons in the suspensory apparatus are much more important. Mine spent weeks in just a stall, months on increasing handwalking (5 min for two weeks, 10 min for two weeks, 15 min for two weeks, etc etc). Then months walking U/S (5 min for two weeks, 10 min for two weeks, etc etc) and so on. And even with all of our care, there's still no guarantee, seeing as we're back to the beginning.

Comment

• Original Poster

Vet is out tomorrow. I will jog and ride horse for him and we'll probably re-ultrasound, too. After that, we'll decide if additional diagnostics or therapeutics are necessary and if the rehab can/should be changed. Wish me luck!!

Comment

Jingles for you!
                              ~Veronica

Comment

• Original Poster

Vet was very happy with horse both at jog and me in the saddle. Said she was a Grade one on the affected foot to the left only and that was "being picky." So I'm going to veerrrryyy gradually increase the trotting for now. The hot weather here in Maryland is helping enormously. I can ride her now without Ace and without feeling like I'm staring death in the face! :-)

Comment

Uhm, I would not be trotting this horse for a while. Ligament tears do not heal this quickly and unfortunately, lameness grades do not really mean much by themselves Many soft tissue injuries are only displayed in a NQR off-ness, not lameness.

For comparison, my gelding with severe lesions on DDFT diagnozed via MRI, was never more than 1 on lameness grade, and it took us 2 years to get where we are right now (just been given an OK to start a normal training program.)

So, please, take a very conservative approach with your horse.

Comment

I had the same experience of the above poster. Make sure you and taking advise from a very reputable vet clinic specialising in sports medicine.

Comment

• Original Poster

Very reputable vet who knows horse and seen ultrasounds says trotting is OK, so I'm going with that. At this point, it's 10-15 minutes of walking and probably a total of one to two minutes of straight line trotting five times a week . . . I will slowly increase trotting over time, as long as she continues to make forward progress. It would be nice if we could do our walking around the farm, but she's a bit too reactive mentally for that, so we're stuck in the indoor even in nice weather.

Comment

Working...
                                      X