• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Strange sores - pictures included, more pictures added in post #5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange sores - pictures included, more pictures added in post #5

My horses are on a rotational de-worming schedule, the last one was two weeks ago and ivermectin.

One week later my horse appears to have a splinter on his sheath. It was taken care of and the vet simply said to watch it and call if it doesn't heal or appears infected.

It's now a week later and my horse has multiple sores on his sheath, all on the left side with the exception of one on the right. They're not squishy, but they're not entirely hard either. Blood came out with some "things" that I'm not sure what they are. My first thought is a possible parasite.

I keep the horses at home, he's in a field with just one other horse, he has contact with others over the fence but they are never in the same pasture and they don't rotate into the same pastures. The other horses are clear, have no sores, and are all on the same deworming schedule.

He had one in his girth area but it had a tick on it. This one was the size of an egg and squishy so I'm not sure if it's truly related.

What came out:
    http://i44.tinypic.com/2afxzfd.jpg

What came out, plus a scab.
    http://i41.tinypic.com/23vn4h5.jpg

One on his girth, squishy lump:
    http://i42.tinypic.com/220p55.jpg

Sheath, just a couple shown:
    http://i39.tinypic.com/23vb49s.jpg

I cleaned the area, they were sensitive. I'm calling the vet on Monday to schedule an appointment. It doesn't seem like an emergency but I don't believe it's something I should be handling without having a vet at least look. Some input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by DexterMorgan; Apr. 18, 2010, 09:11 PM.

The girth one looks like the typical bad reaction to a tick bite. They sometimes get the same from spider bites too. Not all horses get the same reaction, but some horses do.
    What usually works for those is to use a hot damp washcloth held on it for about 15 minutes a few times daily to keep it open, soft and draining. If it gunks or scabs over, soften scab with hot damp cloth and remove scab/crust so it can drain. Or you can slather with icthymol to drain it. I prefer the wet hot cloth...then I don't have a big lump of gooey dirt stuck to the horse.

The penis sores...and whatever came out...I have absolutely no idea.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Comment

Read and look:

http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251875

Could you be at the very beginning of this? I think the OP in this thread may have seen the sore later.
      The armchair saddler
      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Sure might be migrating larva.

Comment

I got some more pictures today. The tick bite area has gotten larger. I used a warm compress and a scab came off. There was something under the scab.

First it drained some clear fluid, then blood, then more of those yellow things and *something* else my poor vision couldn't identify.

Today's pictures.

This was a scab-like thing I pulled off.
          http://i40.tinypic.com/70dl69.jpg

More yellow gunk:
          http://i42.tinypic.com/fz9on6.jpg

This came out of the tick bite sore:
          http://i42.tinypic.com/25ox5jb.jpg

Here is the tick bite sore. It's larger today and you can see a hole where the above picture thingy was expelled.
          http://i44.tinypic.com/2rduah5.jpg

Other symptoms that I've noticed:
          -Weeping eyes
          -Flaky skin
          -His coat has become duller since starting to shed, he used to have a healthy bloom.
          The other horses are shiny, clear eyes, and skin is flake-free. No bumps or sores.

He seems itchy yet ouchy on the sores.
          FWIW I live in Missouri although I believe he spent part of his life in Florida. I've owned him for a little over 1 year.

Comment

Could it be some kind of internal parasite? Given his overall loss of "bloom"? Very weird. Contact your regional agricultural extension or veterinary college and send them the pictures, too?

Comment

Yours seems a little larger than what I've experienced, but I've had a few horses who reacted pretty much just like what you've seem to bug bites - especially ticks.

They would get gnarly bumps with crusty scabs. When the scab was removed, bloody serum would come out. Shortly after (day or two) the sore would become a kind of mini volcano. It would get a new scab and develop a yellowish 'core'. Sometimes the core would come out on its own when the scab was removed and sometimes it would pop out when the bump was squeezed. When the scab and core were removed the sore resembled a crater.

My beasties appreciated warm compresses and I tried to be sure to keep the sores clean. Since bugs were the problem in my cases, I put Swat on/around the sore to keep flies away.

I would definitely worm the heck out of your guy if he's not looking that great, but the sores might not be from internal parasites.
              Y'all ain't right!

Comment

Thank you for the input.

I spoke to the vet at length today and she believes it to be pigeon fever. Unfortunately I can't get anyone to the farm for awhile since it's not an emergency and they have busy schedules. My regular vet doesn't travel that far since I have moved them to home so that's a bummer.

She believes it may be pigeon fever. The sores were draining a bit today, mostly clear fluid and some blood. Unfortunately my horse is allergic to penicillin.

If it doesn't clear we'll get samples and have them tested. The summer/florida sores could very well be another possibility.

Overall the vet was not horribly concerned which calmed me a bit. I've seen horse abscesses, but never had a horse get one, especially not multiple ones. I find them fascinating, just not on MY horse.

Comment

I know this may be way off but also something to consider is bot flies. They are not routinely seen in horses but they cause all sorts of issues in cattle. The sheath stuff just looks like minor irritation and a thorough cleaning of his entire sheath might help there. My guy was an OTTB so he would actually extend on command so I could clean him. If yours is not trained for that I wish you luck but an extensive clean is needed.
                  Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                  Originally Posted by alicen:
                  What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

You may want to have your vet look at him...from my research (and experience) of pigeon fever the abcesses are much much larger...My horse looked like he had basketball under his skin and the discharge was ozzy puss, not solid. Here is his abcess about 10 days before opening http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...s/100_1435.jpg Also to treat him we did not use antibiotics I just cleaned the opening daily.

To me your horses sore looks like a summer sore, where the flies are lying eggs in the wound. My friends horse had this problem and we had to clean out the sore every day and keep the flies off of it. He even got one in his sheath.

Good luck! L

Comment

JohnnyB, yeah, I'm definitely going to have a vet take an actual look, but since it's a non-emergency it's going to have to wait about a week and the other vet doesn't drive this far. I wish I had a magic wand to wave to make it go away, or at least to know exactly what it is *now*.

His largest sore/abscess is about the size of a softball and is not open. Definitely not basketball size. It seems they start a little squishy, become hard, open and become squishy again, the smaller ones opened fairly quick although the others still have not.

One other thing to add is the flies aren't quite out yet. I've seen a couple, but not a ton. I've been looking into fly predators although fly traps seem to work pretty well as well as keeping the area as manure-free as possible.

Comment

I'm going through the same thing, found a tick in the open sore and removed it.

Comment

My old mare has about the same thing, we are in Tennessee.
                          I found an egg-size lump under one front leg "armpit" that had a tiny tick on it. Then washed off the scab and found the oozing bloody sore. She has other crusty sores on that leg and a back leg.

What I have done is keep washing it, putting Betadine and antiscpetic on it. Today, it was much smaller and softer and I got the scab off and a lot of bloody serum came dripping out when I squeezed. I found a puncture this time and squirted some betadine/water mixture in it and then squeezed some antibiotic cream up in there.

She was due a womring May 1 so I went ahead and did an Ivermectin.

Wonder if this could be from the 80s degree days we had a couple of weeks ago? Some flies then that are now dormant?

Comment

The spot on his girth and the gunk, etc. Definitely looks like a tick bite gone wrong to me. Same exact thing happened to my mare.

The other sores definitely look parasitic to me (for whatever that's worth) but I'd be willing to bet they were put there from the outside rather than migrating from the inside. Those little bits look like eggs of some kind.

Poor boy, I'm sure he's itchy and sore. It's a shame the vet can't get out there sooner, I'm really curious to see what they say... In the meantime, I'd just keep up with the compresses, draining what you can.
                            Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyB View Post
                              You may want to have your vet look at him...from my research (and experience) of pigeon fever the abcesses are much much larger...My horse looked like he had basketball under his skin and the discharge was ozzy puss, not solid. Here is his abcess about 10 days before opening http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...s/100_1435.jpg Also to treat him we did not use antibiotics I just cleaned the opening daily.

To me your horses sore looks like a summer sore, where the flies are lying eggs in the wound. My friends horse had this problem and we had to clean out the sore every day and keep the flies off of it. He even got one in his sheath.

Good luck! L
                              My area had a huge breakout of pigeon fever year before last, and while none of our horses got it, I saw quite a few (mostly pictures..didn't want to spread it to ours!!) that did, and the absesses all looked the one above. REALLY big, with huge amounts of pus draining once they were opened.

Comment

Hmm, looks like the same type of reaction my sensitive TB marsie get to tick bites. Large lump, crusty yellow gunk, and then bleeding when tick is removed.

Do you know what your horses normal reaction to ticks are? That could really rule out whether it is a tick bite or not. Good luck and I hope you figure out whatever it is.
                                “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

Comment

My morgan mare was sensitive to tick bites and would get big welts from them (unlike any other horse I knew or have owned), but they never drained out into sores or had big scabs. They were usually on her chest or belly. I didn't pick at or squeeze them, so I never saw anything coming out of them - they were more like the kind of welt I'd get from a bee sting, not abcess-y.

As several posters have said it's not really biting fly season in most parts of the US yet, barely fly season at all in the norther half anyway. So if it's insects it has to be ticks, doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                  X