• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

No wonder there are so many questions. . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No wonder there are so many questions. . .

. . from horse owners about supplements! A catalog just arrived in the mail, so I got curious and counted - 43 pages of just supplements!

I guess that helps explain why we have so many questions about them on all the horse BB's, who can make sense of it all?
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

One reason why I don't use them.

Never really have. Except for an RB.

And yep, the array of them available...mind numbing. One thing I've always wondered about it is what about different supplements reacting badly with others? Or cancelling out others? There don't seem to be any warnings or literature on those possibilities and I have a hard time believing that 50 billion non FDA approved pseudo-meds never ever react with other ones.
    Also lack of testing creeps me out.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Comment

The truly amazing thing is that horses were out there in the 50's and 60's successfully competing without any or all of that stuff.

The one thing that arrived in the equine world, that changed their health and well being and became OTC was ivermectin in the late 70's, early 80's.
      Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

I just don't believe in most of the supps.

I am all for empirical data. So it works out pretty well for me. That's 60 pages I can virtually ignore.
        A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

And yet SmartPak is asking people to "share their stories" so "you too can star in a SmartPak catalog!", as if people needed MORE incentive to buy and swallow whole the mystique and cult of polysupplementation.
          Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

I myself have become a minimalist in the supplement department, but I do use them from time to time. I just can't imagine trying to be a newbie horse owner with all these things to choose from.
            There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

I myself use joint supplements on those that need it, electrolytes, and probiotics/prebiotics (again for those that need it that have a history of digestive upset). There are a lot of things out there that can easily be improved just by correct feeding, shoeing and just grooming! I hate it when people believe that just because there horses coats are as shinny as a new penny they need to try every coat supp there is! Elbow grease goes along way...
              Eventingismylife
              http://www.jumpingthebigsky.wordpress.com

Comment

Wanted to post on this since a friend and I were just talking about this yesterday. Many horses don't need anything beyond a basic vitamin/mineral supplement that fills in the holes and known deficiencies. However, horses that have diseases, injuries, or are otherwise compromised can definitely benefit from carefully selected supplements.

After testing all of my hay, I found out that every load of hay, regardless of type and the farmer I bought it from - had deficiencies in multiple areas. All of them are void almost completely of selenium. Some were low in water soluable vitamins. Even premium quality "prime" hay was tested and found low in multiple areas. And there are many micronutrients we can't or don't test for because it is cost prohibitive or the tests are not reliable/accessible.

When I was growing up, the average horse was usually considered OLD at 20 and usually didn't live much past 25. Today horses that are 20-25 are still able to compete or at least still do trail rides and pleasure work. I think this is due to better nutrition, exercise programs, and medical advances. About 5 horses that I trim are in excess of 30 years old and are still being pleasure ridden.

Horses that have injuries or diseases, or are in some way compromised can be supported with certain supplements that the average healthy horse might not need. My foundered/cushings horse gets SmartControl IR. Within a week of being on the supplement, she lost the remainder of her thick/hard neck crest. She's now been on it about 4 months and she's lost weight, and her chronically "goopy" eyes have cleared up completely. Her appetite settled down so instead of scarfing down feed and hay like her tail's on fire, she just casually chews. Nothing else changed except to add the supplement.

The Appendix mare gets 10,000 mg. MSM daily and if I should skip it for a few days, she stiffens up again. That horse also needs additional selenium that my others do not need. She was getting a supplement that supplied 1 mg. a day, which supposedly was adequate but she became deficient. She's now on a supplement that provides 2 mg. a day plus an extra 1,000 mg. of Vitamin E beyond her normal vit/min supplement, and she's doing wonderfully.

After contracting anaplasmosis in the fall, the arab mare developed all sorts of "weirdness" in her body, including poor haircoat, and achey hocks. A couple of months ago I started her on extra antioxidants, omegas, and changed her vitamin/mineral supplement to one that provides significantly more of "everything". I also put her on Source to provide micronutrients. She went from looking like a crabby, sore, roughed up cow pony back to the shiny fit, sassy little thing she's always been. The old dead hair is shedding off and what's coming in looks light years better. Her lovely black/bay color lightened up to a brassy brown/orange over the last few months. What's coming in new is back to the same wonderful dark color.

The stallion is healthy, fit and vibrant in every way with no issues so he just gets a basic vitamin/mineral supplement and 5,000 MSM as prevention since he's 9 and in full work.

You have to look at each horse individually and see if there are issues that might be addressed with specific supplements. But certainly not every horse needs $60 worth of supplements a month. But some DO unfortuantely.

Comment

I HATE supplementing. I feel like a mad scientist mixing formulas. But what are you going to do when your horse doesn't need to/shouldn't eat fortified grain and your vet makes recommendations? And of course, there is no ideal supplement even for what I "know" AND/OR "think" my horse needs, and I don't know squat anyway.

I think I have things figured out for now. Mr. Horse has always been, and continues to be healthy, energetic and happy so it probably STILL doesn't matter. Oh Well. We do what we can.
                  ::I do not understand your specific kind of crazy, but I do admire your total commitment to it::

Comment

I don't define "adding nutrients that are missing" as "supplementation". That's just meeting their needs.

Adding the latest concoction because someone saw something somewhere on Google that this ingredient helped with chronic health problems (that often get better and worse on their own anyway), well, that's probably a waste of money. But maybe not, and if one has the money and the desire, one ought to go for it. We like to feel we are DOING SOMETHING, and we like to take credit for the "good" phases in the natural progression and regression of chronic conditions such as arthritis.

But in the end, a happy horse and a happy owner are the goal. Doesn't matter how someone else gets there, as long as we're happy with the four-legs-and-a-tail standing in OUR barn.
                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
                      I myself have become a minimalist in the supplement department, but I do use them from time to time. I just can't imagine trying to be a newbie horse owner with all these things to choose from.
                      Shoot, I've owned horses since I was 10 years old and I still can't make heads nor tails of it. I don't supplement my guys. I tried a couple of joint supplements over the years for my arthritic old guys but none of them seemed to make a difference at all, so I quit wasting the $60 or whatever each month. I've also given various vitamin supplements when I had to feed lower-quality hay due to shortages in order to make sure the ponies got what they needed, but like deltawave I don't really consider that supplementing in the usual sense.

I'm glad the options are out there for those horses that need them, but I do think people go way overboard sometimes.
                      exploring the relationship between horse and human

Comment

I consider anything beyond the basic HWG to be supplementing, and I do it if the horse needs it. Actually, I kind of enjoy browsing through the catalogs to see who is offering what, and if it is for real or is only snake oil. However, once the horsey really needs something, then sleuthing becomes serious business! I start with the Smartpak catalog because it has that handy dandy comparison chart in each category, which speeds up separating the wheat from the chaff. Then I check to see if the product holds a NASC seal (I kinda like that), and check back here to see who has what to say about it. Finally, it is off to the price comparison search. Usually by the time I get it all sorted out, Dobbin has recovered from whatever it was that was bothering him, so now I can put my credit card back in my wallet. If not, well, at least I'll get the latest and greatest whizbang technology for the cheapest price possible!
                        "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

• Original Poster

Chief, great minds thinking alike again! That is what I do when I do have to shop for supplements. I also like that Smart pak will send you a sample so you can see if the darned horse will even eat it before shelling out the cash for a full bucket.

Comment

Working...
                          X