• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone see 'Horse Torture' Letter in COTH?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone see 'Horse Torture' Letter in COTH?

Feb 5th issue, page 180. To summarize, the author relates mane pulling to water boarding performed by the CIA. The letter was a response to an article in the Jan 22nd issue, page 32 entitled, 'How to Create a Perfectly Pulled Mane.'
    Thoughts?
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

I can see where stopping water boarding, and ripping out chunks of the terrorist's hair instead, might be effective, to get info from them... I'd even offer to twitch one if it would help.

Did the person complaining about torturing horses sign their letter with "x" PP Level 2 student???

Comment

I've never had a horse that really minds it, I've seen horses that HATE getting their mane's pulled and the owners find other ways to make them look tidy.

I don't like when people drug or man-handle horses that are super sensitive to mane pulling.. there's just other ways to go about it than that.. it's just hair!
      http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

• Original Poster

I thought I'd re-type for the non-subscribers... (sorry for typos)

Horse Torture?
        Wow! What a shock to open the placid cover of a seemingly genteel horse magazine and come upon an illustrated manual of torture methods used by humans to immobilize horses in order to better rip out their manes!
        Is the CIA or the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security aware of this magazine? It might be a good idea to send the article "How to Create a Perfectly Pulled Mane' (Jan 22, p. 32) to them to provide the popular methods that could be used for enhance interrogation of terrorists.
        The rationale would be, "Since water boarding of terrorists is deemed as torture, here are some methods that horse lovers use on their beloved horses in order to make them more cooperative while their manes are being ripped out."
        Our goal is to clean up the subject (horse or human) by pulling out his/her hair, clump by small clump. Now if a horse can tolerate that, so can a human, right?
        If the subject balks at the pain and becomes unruly because of our actions we just clamp a large blanket clip or some other pinching device onto his/her neck. (The action is similar tot he toe and finger screws popularized during the Spanish Inquisition).
        If the subject continues to resist the seemingly endless hair extraction, a chain can be run between the upper lip and the upper gum, and an assistant can be used to crank it down onto the gum tissue if the subject moves. If place of that, one could grab the upper lip of the subject, and put a rope, chain, or clamp around it, and the assistant can twist it until the subject "gives."
        If there's no assistant available, we can improvise and attach a bungee cord to either side of the head collar and then thread the cord between upper lip and gums. Being elastic, it will exert its own pressure over one of the most pain-sensitive areas of the subject's mouth, and the neat thing is that we can in crease the pain by tightening the bungee, because the pressure will increase as the elastic stretches.
        If the CIA doesn't embrace these more "humane" methods for eliciting cooperation (but why shouldn't they, since horse lovers all over the world use them), I'm sure Al-Qaeda would be happy to the receive the horse lover's magazine of tortured techniques.
        There are certainly even more ways we humans can think of to torture a horse so we can have it comply with our idea of beauty. However, maybe it would be better for us humans to abolish centuries' old tradition and come up with more humane methods for making our horses appear more beautiful to us.
        There are myriad hair products available to tame unruly manes and there are many other braiding or banding techniques that can be applied to thicker manes. More radical yet, what is wrong with the long flowing manes that so attracted us as children to the horses in the first place?
        Well, I'm sure that there are many ways to beautify a horse's mane without having to abuse the horse in order to accomplish the feat. And I will admit that being a rather old person, I blindly followed for a while the hand-me-down tradition of pulling horses' manes in order to braid them for shows.
        The light finally came on for me, however, when an incident occurred with my horse and the groom who had pulled his mane. The horse, affectionately known around the barn as the PhD, because he is smarter than most humans, was being led out to the pasture by the groom who had just finished pulling his mane (without torture devices I might add). The horse appeared to tolerate the plucking. However, as he was being led out of the barn, he suddenly, and with surgical precision, nabbed a shock of long, blond hair from the groom's head and ripped it out for her. Tit for Tat.
        Please know that horses feel pain as well as humans do, if not more so. Why should we continue to torture them for the sake of our vanity? Would it not be better to simply change the vogue?

Sherilyn Allen, VMD
        Boyertown, PA
        "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Comment

Good heavens, that's taking it a bit too seriously I think. I'm sure PETA hasn't even made the connection. Sheesh.

Comment

Easy to solve problem....scissors!

Comment

Some horses definitely react to mane pulling like it's torture. Mine being one. I used to drug him and such to get it pulled. The hairs that were pulled have grown in white, which I understand indicates follicle damage, so I can see how it must be painful to some degree.

But that letter is nuts, I"m surprised they published it. Equating humans and animals, just for starters.

Comment

I can't believe COTH printed that. Talk about a lot of mental energy expended on a non-issue.

Anyone remember how it felt to pluck their eyebrows the first few times? And does it still bother you? Sheesh. For a vet, she is not very observant (or maybe she has to leave the barn when someone is making like Torquemada with the pulling comb) because a huge majority of horses don't mind it at all.
                Click here before you buy.

Comment

I think they can suffer for beauty actually all of mine like it but I've had some who don't. You learn to get quick and dodge the bites and kicks.

I hate long manes so much that I'd cut them if I had to. I have a horse here with a "long flowing mane" as is part of his breed standard and it is UGLY. Bleached out, ratty, frizzy and gets in the way when you are working with him. The only horses I have ever seen w/nice long manes live in a stall 24/7, too high a price to pay IMO. Cut it off or pull it out, already!
                  "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                  ---
                  The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

My Dutch horse wrote that letter under an alias. The TB mare contributed to the sarcasam.

They both require chemical and physical restraint to pull their manes. I simply don't do it.

Comment

PETA Protested Hunter/Jumper Shows

I was at one show, a number of years back, where PETA folks showed up to protest the world of Hunter/Jumpers. They felt it was cruel to make the horses jump, live in such small indoor spaces as stalls, etc.

I had to laugh. Many horses seem to love jumping over things, rider or not. And while stalling a horse at a show up to 22 hours a day is bad alot of those horses go home to wonderful farms with beautiful grassy turnout.

Not to mention the fact that most of the horses we encountered at shows lived better and got better and more doting care than much of the people in America. (And don't say that you can't get "anal" over your horse's slightest limp or stiffness, worry about his nutrition, fight for the best turnout's grazing).

They can handle a little mane pulling. And if not, I agree with scissors.

Comment

Actually, it seems really simple to me. Horses are not deceptive (keep in mind I am not including ponies ) or passive aggressive. They are very direct.

I have one horse who happily stands dozing while you pull his mane. He also doesn't seem to care about shots and is in general a sturdy soul with a high pain tolerance. I pull his mane without any worry that I might be torturing him.

My old Irish horse ABSOLUTELY hated it. No one within 50 feet of him would doubt this. So, no mane pulling. The solo comb was our friend. It is, after all, cosmetic. I don't see the point in doing something painful for looks if there is another way to get close to the same look..

My big expressive horse would also tell me if he had an issue...but he has no mane, just a few wisps. If I pulled it he'd be bald. Solo comb, again.

I do see the argument that since it is cosmetic, why drug or otherwise coerce a horse who clearly finds it very uncomfortable. I agree with that.
                        But some do seem genuinely not to mind.
                        The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

My OTTB falls asleep while his mane is being pulled. He must like it. Another doesn't mind the pulling, but hates the back combing. So we use scissors. But he doesn't have a very thick mane.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                            I can't believe COTH printed that. Talk about a lot of mental energy expended on a non-issue.
                            I skimmed through that letter a few days, and all I could imagine was someone in the Chronicle's office opening mail/e-mail and saying "Hey everybody, get a load of this letter!" ... followed by much giggling and then the dangerous suggestion "how about we go ahead and print it?" which was immediately followed by the office pool on how long it take before it became a hotly debated topic over here.

Or that's how it would have played out in almost any office I ever worked in.
                            Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post

Anyone remember how it felt to pluck their eyebrows the first few times? And does it still bother you? Sheesh. For a vet, she is not very observant (or maybe she has to leave the barn when someone is making like Torquemada with the pulling comb) because a huge majority of horses don't mind it at all.
                              Eyebrow plucking, hell- how about a bikini wax? We should call the CIA and suggest it as a torture technique.
                              -Grace

Comment

While I think pulled manes look stupid for the most part (yeah, I'm a long, flowing mane kinda gal)- I really doubt that it's torture
                                I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
                                If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus

Comment

What a weirdo. I have no problem sedating a horse that is sensitive to mane pulling. There's nothing wrong with it-little bit to relax them so they're not nervous and little bit to take away any possible pain, it's like a human having sedation dentistry.
                                  Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                                  Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                                  Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                                  Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

She's into animal communicators so she shouldn't have needed a horse to rip out her hair. She should have been able to use her mental powers or the Vulcan Mind Meld or something.

Animal Communicator - FAIL
                                    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Lesson Junky's Dutch horse must have consulted with mine. The DWBs are a union breed who don't like to take crap from management.

However, deals were made and now mine likes having his hair ripped out. Sometimes he scores mints and dedicated scratching near the roots of his mane. You can't get those things just anywhere and any day, so it turns out that pulling is a prelude to better things.

Good thing this gelding is such a hedonist. He'd make a bad terrorist.
                                      The armchair saddler
                                      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Hrumph.

I thought it was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

I have to admit, I think the torture-for-beauty thing is a bit overdone. If a horse doesn't mind it, fine; but if they do? Well, there are alternatives. They may not produce a MSG-perfect braid job, but, geez ... sometimes, I think we do go too far in the interest of conformity.

Bear in mind, this comes from one of those fat ladies who keeps horses at home and doesn't even do bridle paths or trim whiskers any more. Not because I'm lazy, I love a good spa day with my boys as much as the next person, but because it really, really ... just isn't necessary. My horses perform just as well fuzzy, but, then, I don't go out and pay megabucks for others to make judgements about their performances any more, either.
                                        "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

Working...
                                        X