• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What's your winter grooming routine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your winter grooming routine?

I ride less in the winter and I let my horse go back to a more "natural" state. I don't trim his whiskers or his feathers and I let his mane grow out. (I keep it short in the summer for shows.) He's what I call a "mud horse," loves to roll and is usually covered in the dried clay we have in my area. I brush his coat and get the mud off his legs at least once a week. Every day I go over his body and look for any nicks or scrapes he may have gotten in the pasture. I also check his feet daily and make sure his shoes are still on and his feet look healthy. I also remove burrs or loose shavings in his tail whenever I see them.

I'm at a do-it-yourself barn and I honestly don't have time to do all my chores and then groom him thoroughly every day.
    I'm wondering if what I'm doing is enough. Thoughts?

Honestly, for the naked horses, all I do is pick out their feet and check them over.

We don't have mud, etc.--totally frozen.
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I do about the same. I check them over for injuries, pick stuff out of the tails and check their hooves. I also brush any dried mud off their legs, and wash under their tails with warm water to keep them from rubbing. Since I have a grey, that one gets any major stains curried out. Last week I clipped the longest of the fetlock hairs off since I was tired of prying ice balls out of them.
      Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

I do self-care, too, and my horses live au' natural all the time. They're fine.

I'll always groom good before riding (curry, hard/soft brush, tail, hooves picked) but that's about it during the winter. Mostly I let them be.

Come spring, they'll get a bath to knock it all out
        Last edited by ChocoMare; Jan. 28, 2010, 01:28 PM.
        <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Pretty much the same as in the summer except no baths, needless to say, and no trimming of fetlocks, bridle path, etc. Both my horses are in work but not clipped. The gelding doesn't grow much of a winter coat so he's no problem. My mare, on the other hand, resembles a very large Shetland pony in the winter and, if anything, needs more attention in the winter. I have to get all the sweaty and manure-stained bits out. If I don't keep after her, she looks like a filthy dusty carpet by the end of the winter. I must say that currently she looks like a very shiny albeit long-haired beast.

Comment

I pretty much do the same thing. My horse is out 24/7 and he's not blanketed - so his winter coat is super thick. I get all the dried mud off him before I ride him and take a curry to him and of course take care of his feet - that is about it though. He is a gray, but right now he looks like a yellow/brown pinto. I don't pull his mane, clip him or anything from about September - March. Come spring he looks like a whole new horse after his first bath, a clipping and getting the mane pulled!

Comment

I actually think I do better grooming in winter than warmer months, probably b/c I'm usually to cold to ride!

I've been giving my older guy this winter off (chronic knee issues means we can't do too much) and since I work off board, I'm usually too lazy to hop on anyways. My 2 1/2 year old isn't backed yet so.....

I groom them both nearly everyday. Pick feet & paint with Miracle Hoof Oil as needed (the weather here has been not pleasant!), curry, brush, Healthy Hair in their manes/tails and brush them out, Healthy Hair on their coats a few times a week, brush again. I do let their manes & whiskers grow long, and don't bother with clipping at all.

They are both woolly beasts, and the weather here has left us with lots of mud, followed by frozen, followed by mud...etc. They both live outside 24/7, so I like the remove their blankets daily and check for injuries everyday....might as well make them look pretty in the process.
              <3 Vinnie <3
              1992-2010
              Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Comment

I have one of those heavy duty grooming vacuums. It is worth it's weight in gold. It was pretty expensive but I've had it now for 9 years and never had a problem. it has sucked an acre of mud off my guys.

I make sure everyone is vacuumed at least once or twice a week and scraped down before they get into their jammies at night. The vacuum works well on blankets too. I feed everyone one a bit of flax seed daily and it makes the mud slide off a lot easier and keeps the greys from getting soiled.

Comment

With the exception of no bathing during the winter, I groom pretty much the same way year round. Pony has a trace clip, we leave ears and legs furry for warmth but I keep the bridle path trimmed (he's still wearing a bridle all winter) and his whiskers too. If we get an occasional warm spell I will wash white legs (we have hot water) if needed.

Comment

I'm doing a lot more grooming with my new guy - who must be blanketed (came show-clipped from FL at the end of November!) - than I've done in the past 5+ years.

My other horses went nekkid as they both grew coats that would make a Mammoth green with envy.
                    I'd check feet for ice,stones, etc and use a shedding blade to remove the worst of the mud & That was It.
                    Infrequently they'd get a Beauty Day where I'd comb through manes & tails and add Cowboy Magic Detangler.

New Guy gets his blanket turned back every couple days to make sure he hasn't lost weight or condition underneath (No..still slick & fat as a tick) and as long as he's uncovered he gets a quick curry & brush.
                    Feet get checked and back out he goes.
                    He's still so slick under the blanket, even if I'm working him it only takes a quick onceover with the curry & brush.
                    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I'd say my winter grooming routine is more time consuming than in the summer but I'm riding the entire winter. My horse lives out 24/7 and with this frozen-mud-frozen-mud cycle sometimes my horse can be totally caked with mud on his legs and neck.. My guy is trace clipped and blanketed so that does help keep his body clean but his legs and parts of his neck and belly that are not clipped can get really dirty.
                      Usually I curry, stiff brush, soft brush and use detangler for his tail/mane. If it's a warmer day I'll hose down his white socks since we have hot water. I generally keep up with bridle path, mane pulling, whiskers too, although sometimes I do slack a little more in the winter

Comment

I groom my guy almost every day. Currie comb, hard brush, soft brush moisturizer spray and pick out his hooves. Occasionally I will put detangler in his tail and maybe brush it out. He has a nice coat as it is but I feel like putting some elbow grease into it almost daily really adds some sheen.

He also manages to find mud...somehow, somewhere whenever he is naked.

I do keep his bridle path and muzzle clipped. I don't really touch anything else with the clippers in the winter though. I just don't like overgrown bridle paths and muzzles, a personal preference.

I also wipe his eyes and nose with a rag. I can't stand crusty eyes and noses!

Comment

My horse is clipped and in work. She wears a blanket so pre ride grooming is easy.. soft brush & feet picked. I keep her mane pulled short and wash her legs every so often. She's shiny & has dapples.

Comment

Right now I call the trail horses "My Little Mud Balls"....funny how 4 different horses under identical housing can look so different.....one has hair texture that mud dries and falls off like magic....he almost always looks clean. Then another one just has to LOOK at the mud to end up caked in it from stem to stern until I brush him off. The show horses have the same grooming routine as during the show season but we are in SoCal so the weather never gets cold enough to worry about iceballs on their fetlocks!

Comment

Winter grooming - take off sheet. Put hands between his back legs to warm up. Curry Curry Curry everywhere. Put hands between his back legs (shorter time). Use medium brush everywhere. Use soft brush everywhere. Hands again between legs (even shorter time). Pick out front feet (no back shoes) comb mane. Don't ever touch tail unless there are ice balls.
                              Now ready to tack up. By now wishing I could put my feet between his back legs. Sometimes actually think of how I could do it. Could I lie on my back in the grooming stall and stick my legs up there? Probably not. Keep telling self that once on the horse I will warm up.
                              Tack up as fast as possible and get on. Once on, the mental concentration of riding can push the cold away.
                              Most of the time...
                              Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

Comment

I brush, curry if necessary (if he's clean I don't curry), pick feet, and brush mane every day, year-round, mostly because I ride him every day year-round! I still clip (well, cut with scissors) his wiskers & bridle path, ears only occasionally b/c I have to steal hubby's clippers to do ears. I try to abstain from brushing his tail because he finally has a nice tail and I don't want to pull hairs out every day I keep his mane trimmed/pulled. He's blanketed but not clipped, so everywhere not covered with a blanket is really hairy!

He's a gray, so in warmer weather he gets baths pretty regularly. Right now I feel like he has months worth of crud that needs to get washed off!
                                "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Comment

1. Remove blanket.

2. Curry off mud on neck, bottom of belly, legs, and face.

3. Brush entire body.

4. Pick out feet.

Every few days I brush out her tail, and her mane gets clipped once a month or so (she's got a roached mane).

Really, her routine is no different in the winter. Actually in the summer my grooming routine is more difficult, because she's not blanketed.
                                  Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Winter, well being in Mn the cold and darkness can make the ambition to ride... well a bit low. Even though we have an indoor / insulated (but not heated) riding arena it's still cold. Yesterday the wind chill was like -15 burrrrrr
                                    What we do to keep it fun in the winter is every Wednesday evening we have about 4-5 of us who all groom and ride together. It's even more fun for me because one of them is my daughter. Of course I get out once or twice on the weekends too but at least you can go during the heat of the day and it's light out. I don't blanket my horse he doesn't need a blanket he is big, over weight, and really furry! I would say the grooming isn't any different but maybe a bit quicker because they stay so clean because of the snow and no mud. The only thing is soaking is hard when you need to treat thrush - right now I'm just using sprays but they don't work as well. My guy has been fighting a bad infection in his frogs (most say not thrush but something like it, either bacteria, fungus, or yeast has to be one of the three right?) that I can't seem to get him completely over yet. Hey any feedback on that would be great!
                                    I just love reading all the posts and listening to all the horse talk.
                                    Monica
                                    www.horsefencedirect.com
                                    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle ~ Winston Churchill

Comment

Winter grooming for me means that my guy tolerates harder brushes and more quality curry time. He's bib-clipped (badly.....I keep meaning to clean it up but haven't had any sort of time to do so) so that makes things easier. I pick his feet and put thrushbuster on them. Then curry, hard brush, soft brush. I do keep up with trimming whiskers/bridlepaths and mane pulling. I rarely touch his tail anyway, but I do wash the mud out with hot water on warmer days. I did trim it to just above his fetlocks to help with the mudball situation.
                                      I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

Working...
                                      X