• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

May be morbid - information about donating a horse after death to vet schools?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May be morbid - information about donating a horse after death to vet schools?

So, as I sit here contemplating what is the best course of action to take when my horse does finally surcumb to his kidney condition, it dawned on me that one option might be donating his body to the vet school, so that they could get some experience with his condition.

Has anyone here ever done that, or do you vet students out there have any information? Is this even a possibility?

I'm not saying I will do this, but I would like to think that maybe in the cases where the horse dies of a rare condition, that allowing the vet schools to study it, that more horses could be saved in the future, or at the very least, that vet students get a chance to increase their knowledge base.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I don't have any experience with this. I just wanted to commend you for contemplating such a generous idea during an emotional and tough time.

hugs to you.

Comment

I think that's a great idea, and Gainesville is close to you.

BUT, I would be hesitant to give them a live horse. Maybe somebody knows more than me, but I've heard horror stories about some of the things they do - all for a good cause I admit - but not to something I love.

Maybe the vets that post here can tell us more.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh no, I would NEVER donate a live horse. Just thought that perhaps if they needed a case with an unusual condition to do a necropsy and study, that I might consider it.

I know that when I lost a previous horse in a tragic sudden way (broken leg), that in my hysteria, I was adamant that he be buried here on the farm. I'm trying to keep emotion out of it as much as possible, and try to have something good come out of this.
        There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

I have a mare who has a VERY rare condition called Bi-Partite Navicular. It is so rare that most vets will never see it in practice. When my mare dies it has been discussed with my vet that I will donate her feet so that they may have a real example of the condition. It is a little disheartning to think of them sawing off her legs but then I have to remember that she will be dead and I most certainly won't be around when they do it.

Losing a pet can be hard but being able to have some good come out of it makes it a little easier!!!
          RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
          May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
          RIP San Lena Peppy
          May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

Oh, I am so glad this topic came up. I really hope a vet posts with some advice.

My geriatric has had a rough last few years, his last day always seems as if its lingering just over my shoulder. I have strongly wanted to find out about donating his body for research, especially since he has very unusual xrays, etc. My vet had told me at one point that some vet schools do accept donated bodies, and the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania near me does accept donations, but it has to be a coordinated effort and they have to have a need at the moment.

I've tried calling the school a couple of times, but never got anyone that could answer my questions or return my calls on the subject, sadly.

eta my thoughts and prayers with you and your horse at this difficult time.
            Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

I had a horse at Tufts who had quite an ordeal. He had an abscess, which ultimately ended up needing surgery. It wasn't improving, and he went back post surgery. MRI showed that 40% of the bone was gone. At any rate, we ended up donating him so they could study and try to figure out what exactly went wrong, and where the infection was coming from. My horse was already at the vet hospital though, so I'm not sure how it would go if the horse wasn't. I would just call local vet hospitals, they'd be able to tell you. I don't regret donating him at all, I think it's a great thing for others to have been able to learn from his situation.

Comment

I have done it.

Sunshine had septic arthritis in her hock. We SEEMED to be improving it, (using then novel and unproven technoques) and then she went completely downhill, and I made the decision to put her down. My vet talked to U MD about the possibility of a donation for necroscopy (sp?), and they were interested.

She was led onto their trailer, and then euthanized.

It turned out that we HAD got the infection out of the hock. The hock had fused, but then the "fuse" had cracked. The infection had spread to her liver. And she had a inch and a half diameter ulcer (which they sent me a picture of), presumably from the bute we needed to give her to moderate her pain.

I think your VET needs to contact the University. I don't think they are interested in dealing directly with the owner.
                Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

• Original Poster

I just spoke with my vet about this, and she said that I could call UF and see if they have a need and/or interest (when the time comes), and if not, she is so curious about this that she offered to do a necropsy at their clinic just so that she could learn (and the other folks at the clinic too). She said, we can cross that bridge when we get there. The gentleman here in town that does the body removals for the clinic has done this in the past, haul his body there, or she offered to do it here on the farm, but I would be more comfortable if they did it at the clinic.

I told her about FP's horse Champ, and his rare condition, and she said that because we can't do an ultrasound on the farm, we don't know what the root cause is of his kidney troubles are, and only a necropsy would tell them. She said he could very well be polycystic but can't tell just by the numbers, as any damaged kidney can give you bad numbers in the CBC.

It's not an easy decision, so I am trying to think about it now, before I am emotionally unstable and unable to think clearly.

Comment

When I decided to have a necropsy done on my horse after euthanization, I called the U of MN (closest to me) vet school - I talked this over with my attending vet first, and he could not do a necropsy here. He made the initial call to the U of MN to tell them he was referring me/my horse.

I hauled my horse to the U of MN, where he was euthanized. I'm sure somewhere in the fine print, I did 'donate' his body. Anyway, they kept his remains. I must say here that the U of MN was very, very gentle with me and my horse - even cried with me, made sure I was ok to drive the 2 1/2 hr trip home.

I know that your situation is slightly different, as sounds like you want to, when the time comes, euthanize there at home.

***This 'making arrangements' stuff is heartbreaking. I hope all you talk with are 'good people' who know just 'saying the words aloud' is tearing your heart out
                    Last edited by TBMaggie; Jan. 21, 2010, 02:25 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TBMaggie View Post

***This 'making arrangements' stuff is heartbreaking. I hope all you talk with are 'good people' who know just 'saying the words aloud' is tearing your heart out
                      It really does help me to talk out loud with all you wonderful people here that truely do understand. My family does their best, but I don't expect them to relate to this as well as other horsefolks do.

I am privately hoping that I don't have to put any of my plans into action for a while, but feel better if I have them all planned out ahead of time.

Comment

My horse died at Tufts last year. I donated his remains. I had my husband collect hair from his tail but to be honest, I still can't bring myself to look at it.

His body wasn't important to me and his spirit will be with me forever.
                        Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                        EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bogie View Post
                          My horse died at Tufts last year. I donated his remains. I had my husband collect hair from his tail but to be honest, I still can't bring myself to look at it.

His body wasn't important to me and his spirit will be with me forever.
                          I understand about the hair, when I lost Dunkin to a broken leg, I cut some mane hair, and I have not taken it out and it has been 5 years. I can't bring myself to throw it away either.

I did bury Dunkin here at home, but I'm trying to be more pragmatic about the rest of my horses, their bodies are just the shells after all, and you are right, their spirits stay in our hearts always.

Comment

If your horse has been seen by the vet school for the terminal problem, I suggest that you contact them to see if they would like to have the remains for the necropsy. I have had several clients do this at my my suggestion and it was set up ahead of time with the treating clinician. The horse gets trailered to the school and euthanized there so the remains are fresh. The staff is very respectful of the owners' emotions.

I have a client whose horse was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis secondary to a EHV-5 infection. He did not do well and the owner had agreed to have him euthanized at the school as the medicine service really wanted to have a peek inside. Unfortunately, the owner wanted to give him a few more days and he died in the stall on a Sunday night. We still took the body up but the 36 hour lag time autolyzed some of the tissues.

I respect and thank you for wanting to have something good come out of this.

Comment

I donated a horse to a vet school to be used as a cadaver about 15 years ago. It was a horse I had owned only a short time. He had already had one colic surgery as a 3 year old and started having colic problems again as a 12 year old. When he started getting colicy on a regular basis the vet told me he would continue to have problems and they would get worse. He wasn't a good surgery candidate due to the previous surgery. After much consideration, I donated him to UGA's vet school. I had someone take him there and they unloaded him and humanely euthanized him. And he was used as a cadaver for the vet students. It was very difficult loading him on that trailer for his last ride but I'm glad something good came from him.
                              Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, he has not been seen by the vet school, my vet works for Peterson and Smith, which is the third largest private vet clinic in the country, and even they would be interested in seeing what is going on inside my horse.

I am also only 20 minutes away from UF, so if they did want him, I would still have him put down here, and have his remains hauled up to the school. I don't want his last hours to be traumatic, as trailering is an issue for him.

Comment

I donated my horse of a lifetime to NCSU vet school. They are so good to Tuxedo and me. And I slept well knowing that I had a small part in the training of future vets of America.

Comment

My Experiences

I used to live near OSU in Oregon, and we donated several aged horses who had reached the end of their lifetime to their Vet Teaching Hospital. I knew the equine vets, and it was pleasant the work with them during this tough time. It provided the horses with a dignified passage, and it helped future vets learn. I've never heard any horros stories of the animals being treated inhumanely. We knew the horses we close to dying though, and it was better to donate them to the vet school than to come in to work one morning and find them death in their stall and not knowing that their last moments had been peaceful and painless.
                                    Sounds like the OP's situation is different, but I'd encourage the OP to look into it.

On another note, there is a wildlife sanctuary in Southern Oregon that used to accept dead livestock to feed to their animals. Don't know much about it, but it's an interesting option ( that I would NEVER consider personally). I had a friend that wanted to send her crazy horse there, but I don't think it ever happened...
                                    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
                                    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LoveGirl83102 View Post

On another note, there is a wildlife sanctuary in Southern Oregon that used to accept dead livestock to feed to their animals. Don't know much about it, but it's an interesting option ( that I would NEVER consider personally). I had a friend that wanted to send her crazy horse there, but I don't think it ever happened...
                                      We do have a large cat sanctuary here in town (abour 7 miles from my farm), but I don't think I want to go that route, but it is another option.

Comment

Originally posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
                                        We do have a large cat sanctuary here in town (abour 7 miles from my farm), but I don't think I want to go that route, but it is another option.
                                        Keep in mind, they can't be chemically euthanized if the body is to be used for feeding other animals. Shouldn't have other drugs in their systems either.

Comment

Working...
                                        X