• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone feed Nupafeed Magnesium supplement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone feed Nupafeed Magnesium supplement?

    Hi. I'm curious if any COTHers use the Magnesium supplement made by Nupafeed. If so, what have your experiences been? How much do you feed? Have you had any problems with loose manure or gassy but minor diarrhea?

    My horse had been on Nupafeed for several months. Originally I had him on the loading dose of 75 ml twice a day. He had very loose manure, so I backed him off to 50 ml twice a day and his manure pretty much went back to normal. However, repeated testing of his blood showed that his magnesium levels were not increasing as we had hoped. So, I increased the dose back up to 75 ml twice a day. He's been on this dose for about a month now. His manure is pretty good but he has a chronic very slight gassy liquid dribble that will not go away. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem.

    The reason my horse is on this particular supplement is at the request of vets involved in my horse's treatment for headshaking. They're aware of my concerns but don't have answers at this point, so I thought I would check in here. Thanks!
  • Original Poster

    #2
    Bump. Anyone?

    Comment


    • #3
      Never heard of the stuff.
      I just feed plain old MgOx.
      "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

      ...just settin' on the Group W bench.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
        Never heard of the stuff.
        I just feed plain old MgOx.
        Me too.

        I think that the first sign of 'too much' is loose stools. I have never had it happen and I feed 2 oz/day 56% MagOx so not sure WHEN too much could be reached..

        What does the label on your product say?
        "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
        ---
        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

        Comment


        • #5
          Loose stools is the first sign of Mg overdose

          So I'd say if he is having GI tract problems you are giving too much.
          The Nupa feed product is just Mag Gluconate in a liquid form. Mag Ox is much less expensive and can be mixed with water to make a liquid slurry if you want the liquid form.
          Or if you want the convenience then feed Quiessence which is Mag Ox and Mag Proteinate in a pelleted form, and thus more palatable and less likely to cause GI tract problems.

          With the Nupa feed product you are paying fror the slick German packaging and advertising, it provides no more Mg than Mag Ox and less than Mag Proteinate.

          Plus no matter how much you feed you are unlikely to see much change in blood levels, the body controls how much Mg is in the blood at all times, and excess is dumped or not absorbed.
          YOurs
          MW
          Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
          Sign up for the Equine nutrition enewsletter on www.foxdenequine.com
          New edition of book is out:
          Horse Nutrition Handbook.

          www.knabstruppers4usa.com

          Comment


          • #6
            I haven't used that particular brand, but I do use a double dose of Quiessence for the magnesium content for my headshaker. I think it makes a difference. It comes out to be about 20,000mg of mangnesium a day. She also gets lysine for nerve health and MSM on the off hand chance that it would help the inflamation that could possibly set off the trigeminal nerve. If your horse doesn't respond to this treatment, maybe discuss the possiblity of trying anti-convulsants or anti-seizure medication. That has taken my horse from a severe head shaker to about 95% normal. She still has some days where she shakes a little, but nothing too severe.

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              Here's the thing -- my horse was originally put on Quiessence when he was enrolled in the headshaking study at UC Davis. However, after many months of being on elevated doses of it, his blood showed his magnesium levels to be on the low side of normal. UC Davis wants them to be on the high side of normal for the purposes of the study. So, I was asked to switch to Nupafeed to see if it would make a difference. (His most recent bloodwork showed a slight increase, but I haven't gotten feedback from the vets if they consider it to be of any significance...)

              My horse no longer has diarrhea or loose manure, but does have some gassy residual liquid after he poops. He has lovely white socks, so this is a real pain... more importantly, I don't want him to be in any gastric discomfort.

              To add to the complications, he is not headshaking at all. But it's also not headshaking "season", so I don't know if the Nupafeed is making a difference or not. (When he was on Quiessence, the HS was reduced but not eliminated.)

              Again, I appreciate advise and feedback! Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                This is totally off topic, but they make those special fly masks that are supposed to help head shakers, do you have one of those?
                Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

                Comment

                • Original Poster

                  #9
                  Originally posted by sublimequine View Post
                  This is totally off topic, but they make those special fly masks that are supposed to help head shakers, do you have one of those?
                  Yes, I have one and it works really well for us. I feel very fortunate because I know that they don't help all headshakers. Right now I don't have to use it (haven't used it since early November). The one I have is called a muzzle net -- it gives just enough stimulation to somehow block the stimuli that trigger the nerve firing. It's also very subtle and I was able to get a dispensation to use it at some shows last year.

                  http://www.equilibriumproducts.com/h...eg_muzzle_net/
                  Last edited by lintesia; Jan. 9, 2010, 08:41 PM. Reason: typo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lintesia View Post
                    Yes, I have one and it works really well for us. I feel very fortunate because I know that they don't help all headshakers. Right now I don't have to use it (haven't used it since early November). The one I have is called a muzzle net -- it gives just enough stimulation to somehow block the stimuli that trigger the nerve firing. It's also very subtle and I was able to get a dispensation to use it at some shows last year.

                    http://www.equilibriumproducts.com/h...eg_muzzle_net/
                    I was actually referring to the Guardian Mask (couldn't think of the name!):

                    http://www.horsemask.com/products.html

                    But I'm glad a simple muzzle net helps your boy so much!
                    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #11
                      Originally posted by sublimequine View Post
                      I was actually referring to the Guardian Mask (couldn't think of the name!):

                      http://www.horsemask.com/products.html

                      But I'm glad a simple muzzle net helps your boy so much!
                      My horse doesn't need the eye shades. We haven't yet been able to pinpoint the trigger for the headshaking, but he doesn't appear to be photic. As I said, I feel very fortunate that he responds to well to the muzzle net --it's very inobtrusive!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Also never heard of your product.

                        We can't buy MgOx here - no one sells it or uses it anymore when mfgr-ing feed.

                        I was going to try Quiessence but found Remission and it workls well for us. It's a different formula than Q but all I wanted was the Mg. I buy it from Country Supply (horse.com) but it's sold elsewhere now.

                        Yip
                        "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If he is part of a study, it would be best to consult the

                          Originally posted by lintesia View Post
                          Here's the thing -- my horse was originally put on Quiessence when he was enrolled in the headshaking study at UC Davis. However, after many months of being on elevated doses of it, his blood showed his magnesium levels to be on the low side of normal. UC Davis wants them to be on the high side of normal for the purposes of the study. So, I was asked to switch to Nupafeed to see if it would make a difference. (His most recent bloodwork showed a slight increase, but I haven't gotten feedback from the vets if they consider it to be of any significance...)

                          My horse no longer has diarrhea or loose manure, but does have some gassy residual liquid after he poops. He has lovely white socks, so this is a real pain... more importantly, I don't want him to be in any gastric discomfort.

                          To add to the complications, he is not headshaking at all. But it's also not headshaking "season", so I don't know if the Nupafeed is making a difference or not. (When he was on Quiessence, the HS was reduced but not eliminated.)

                          Again, I appreciate advise and feedback! Thanks!
                          researchers or vet before you change things. They need your feedback on the side effects and the results, and should be consulted before you change things.

                          Call and tell them what is going on and discuss it with them before you change him to a different source of Mg. There are few things more frustrating to a researcher than to have your participants change the treatments without prior consultation, it really screws up the results!

                          I suspect that they are finding, as I did all those years ago when I did my initial research, that Mag gluconate while it is palatable and absorbable, it has a higher incidence of GI tract problems, much like Epsom salts do. Yes there are some horses who do fine on it, but plenty of others who do not, and more don't than do, which is why I don't use Mag glu in my product. It had too high a tendency to cause this kind of thing.

                          But before you change your horses treatment, please please call the folks who are conducting the study and talk to them.
                          Yours
                          MW
                          Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
                          Sign up for the Equine nutrition enewsletter on www.foxdenequine.com
                          New edition of book is out:
                          Horse Nutrition Handbook.

                          www.knabstruppers4usa.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Excellent point, Melyni!
                            "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

                            ...just settin' on the Group W bench.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yip, I don't know where you are, but FYI, in case you are in the USA, Horsetech sells straight mgOx. You have to go hunting under custom blends on their web site to find it, but it's there.

                              No feed stores around here carry it either.

                              Comment

                              • Original Poster

                                #16
                                Originally posted by Melyni View Post
                                researchers or vet before you change things. They need your feedback on the side effects and the results, and should be consulted before you change things.

                                Call and tell them what is going on and discuss it with them before you change him to a different source of Mg. There are few things more frustrating to a researcher than to have your participants change the treatments without prior consultation, it really screws up the results!

                                I suspect that they are finding, as I did all those years ago when I did my initial research, that Mag gluconate while it is palatable and absorbable, it has a higher incidence of GI tract problems, much like Epsom salts do. Yes there are some horses who do fine on it, but plenty of others who do not, and more don't than do, which is why I don't use Mag glu in my product. It had too high a tendency to cause this kind of thing.

                                But before you change your horses treatment, please please call the folks who are conducting the study and talk to them.
                                Yours
                                MW
                                Didn't mean to quote the whole message, sorry!

                                I'm not asking for advise about changing my horses diet/treatment... just asking for feedback on Nupafeed. As I said, my vets are aware of my concerns but still don't have answers so I thought I would check on COTH to see if anyone else had the same problems I have with the product. (And yes, I'm also in touch with Nupafeed!)

                                Thanks!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  I use the Nupafeed and love it. I have 3 horses on it one with a history of colic (2 surgerys) one a young horse and the other a senior citizen with cushings. None of them have had any gastro problems or loose manure. It has really helped them quite a bit with different stiffness issues. If you really want some questions answered call the distributor and ask to speak to Scott. He will give you loads of info.

                                  Comment

                                  • Original Poster

                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by tryintogethere View Post
                                    I use the Nupafeed and love it. I have 3 horses on it one with a history of colic (2 surgerys) one a young horse and the other a senior citizen with cushings. None of them have had any gastro problems or loose manure. It has really helped them quite a bit with different stiffness issues. If you really want some questions answered call the distributor and ask to speak to Scott. He will give you loads of info.
                                    Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I've spoken at length with Scott -- he was baffled by my horse's gastric issues.

                                    In any case, I was asked by my HS vet to stop the Nupafeed for the time being. I think we'll revisit the whole magnesium question when his headshaking resumes in the spring (oh joy!).

                                    Comment

                                    Working...
                                    X