• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

High-neck turnout blankets- do you like them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-neck turnout blankets- do you like them?

I am looking for a replacement blanket since my lovely mare decided to shred hers. One that's on sale is a high -neck turnout. My horse is out pretty much 24/7, have never used a high neck before.

If you have one, do you like it? Dislikes? Thanks in advance!

I don't really like them much, but when my horse is at my trainer's there is no shelter in the pastures like I have at home, so I do like having just the slightly high-necked ones, as they keep her shoulders from getting wet when it's snowing/raining really hard. I only like the ones with the very slight neck, though--like the Rambo/Rhino ones. As much as I like Schneiders blankets, the high-neck one I bought last year fit really poorly and rubbed Bonnie like crazy. I gave it away.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

The only high necked blanket I've had experience with is my Rhino Wug. Compared to my other blankets, I like it best. It keeps the rain from leaking in on my horses shoulders and it doesn't put as much pressure on his withers as some of my regular necked blankets. I can tell that he gets sensitive around his withers when he wears any of the regular necked blankets for an extended period of time, but no problems when wearing the high necked one for a while.
      "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Comment

Have only used the Rambo high neck blankets, and LOVE them. No rubs (on multiple horses) and it keeps shoulders dry, as the others have noted. However, I also like the Rambo w/the detachable hood, b/c if it is dry you don't need the extra coverage of the high neck. But if there is freezing rain or something the hood keeps their entire neck (and of course their shoulders) warm and dry, so it is even better in my opinion.
        https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
        Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
        www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

My TB's Rhino Wug (medium) is my favorite blanket by far. Keeps her shoulders dry, gives a little extra warmth, and does not rub.

We tend to get cold, blowy rainstorms in the low to mid 30's, and she lives in a covered corral with open sides (when she's not out in the pasture). This blanket has done well by her.
          If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I have a high neck Weatherbeeta and love it. It keeps the neck dry, warm and clean , and it takes the pressure off of the wither area.
            http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

Comment

Originally posted by lstevenson View Post
              I have a high neck Weatherbeeta and love it. It keeps the neck dry, warm and clean , and it takes the pressure off of the wither area.
              Have to totally agree here! I LOVE my high neck weatherbeeta. I have regular necks on a couple of my horses and hate that when I go to ride, their shoulders are wet!
              Tracy Anderson
              Cornerstone Farm - Breeders of quality sport prospects for the amateur and professional
              www.cornerstone-farm.ca
              We're now on facebook! Follow us here

Comment

I have to disagree.

While I loved the Weatherbeeta blankets themselves, and I loved that the high necks kept drafts and rain out - these blankets caused chiro problems in both of my mares the 3 years I used them. By January, they were both sore and needed adjustments.

I'm a slow learner.
                "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Comment

Love them.
                  "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                  ---
                  The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Love them. With qualifications. Don't love my Rider's Northwinds. The neck openings aren't big enough The Rambos rubbed the heck out of my big shouldered TB, but work on the thinner kids. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Weatherbeetas with the freestyle system. Have had rubs grow back while my kids wore the WBs.
                    -Jessica

Comment

I have used a rhino "high" neck for 2 seasons and it fits very well and does seem to offer more protection. I do feel however that when it gets warmer again you need to get it off faster but that is not really a problem.

Comment

I prefer the detachable neck cover types for most of mine. The high-neck "wug" cut just doesn't fit my broader horses in the shoulder that well, and I just never have been crazy about the fit. But I do have a couple that I use as 2nd string blankets when the others are in the wash, or for youngsters that haven't gotten broad in the shoulder yet.

Comment

My horse is very comfortable in his "turtleneck" Rhino Wugs. They seem much less drafty than a regular neck and the cut keeps water from dripping down onto the chest when he's not fussed enough by the rain to go into his shed. I also think that they fit him the best of any rug I've used on him; they suit his massive shoulder without giving him rubs. Besides, there's nothing cuter than a Tip in a turtleneck.
                          "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                          Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

I have this one
                            http://www.doversaddlery.com/riders-...-24402A/cn/59/

for my narrower TB and love it.
                            If only horses would use their athletic powers for good instead of evil. ~ MHM

Comment

I think it may depend on where you live. I am in a climate that doesn't experience many extreme weather conditions, but I do have a high neck blanket for those rare "extreme" conditions where it will be a cold night with wind and rain. For us, a cold night is mid-30's and even with wind chill it may get to low 30's.

My high neck blanket is a Gladiator Blizzard, but I have only used it 2x so far this season and my horse has a high trace clip. On other rainy nights my horse is just fine with a standard neck Weatherbeeta Orican. She is also a TB.

I do like how the high neck blankets keep more of the rain out, so if you are in an area that gets a lot of rain in a short amount of time, your horse may be better off in a high neck.
                              Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                              http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                              http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

high neck lines are better if you have trouble with any rug then you havent measured it properly to your horse
                                so
                                measure from wither to tail
                                measure from chest to tail
                                and measure from wither to elbow

then chose a rug thats high neck line and darted schoudlers this way the horse can move freely without it slipping back well shouldnt do if you have measured it corrrectly
                                then with x over straps adjust them to the lenght to hold the rug snugly and x them over if however there is no more room on the adjusting clip hen simply x them again and if need be again
                                same to with back straps adjust the leg strap to above the hock about 3inches above it, so horse doesnt get his legs caught by having the strap to low
                                then loop one leg strap into the other leg strap if however they are still to long then x them agian

chest straps should be fitted tight and snug fillets strings should be fitted above the leg straps in the fillet holes and just under the tail adust to with of the top of the rug to hold the sides into place pull the tial through then tie off
                                if you adjust the rug straps to make the rug fir snug and warm you wont have a problem with it
                                if you buy a rug with darted or pleated schoulders then you wont have rug rubs on the schoulders
                                and if you want to add extra warm add a poly warm underneath and adjust measure in the same way

if you measure the rugs as surgested and you want to go of a hood which is included into the rug - then there is no difference
                                ie all in one --- as the higher than normal high neck line just adds a bit more protection around the base of the neck which comes up about 1/4 up the neck some have hoods or neck covers all inone which come completely up the neck to the ears of the horse again if its an all inne type of rug and you have measured it correctly then you wont have problem with it sliipping back and in warmer days can tuck the hood part inside the rug over his withers
                                or out side but then if the its windy it might upset the horse
                                if how ever you buyng a neck cover a seperate then they do come in pony cob or full and really depends on the neck lenght so if you have a small tb for exsample then a medium hood would do or cob size

but be aware seperate hoods have a gap when the horse is eating
                                and wet can get down the gap and can cuase rainrot so be aware to check your horse on a dialy basics and starighten his rug if need be and check his neck cover straighten and re adjust and feel inside his base of neck and wither area as if one is going to get rubs of any kind this is where it will be and why if that happens you might need to re think having a neck cover as a seperate
                                also remember any type of rub on the wither or back regions you must rest the horse till its gone away dont ride the horse as he is sore and you make that little sore that you could have got rid off in a couple days of one that might last weeks and if continued to do so might last months then becomes permanat back damage

Comment

i LOVE wugs! Don't currently have one on hand, but have had great luck with them, also with the weatherbeeta higher (kind of like a turtleneck type) neck.

Comment

I like them and prefer them to the detachable neck rugs.

My favorite is the Rambo Wug/Rhino Wug
                                    Like the Weatherbeeta Orican
                                    Hate: the Schneider's - they don't fit anything I've ever seen and cause horrible pressure sores and usually require a chiropractor after one wearing.
                                    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Comment

Originally posted by alteringwego View Post
                                      Hate: the Schneider's - they don't fit anything I've ever seen and cause horrible pressure sores and usually require a chiropractor after one wearing.
                                      Which one in particular from Schneiders are you referring to?

Simply curious as to which one to stay away from. Thanks!

Comment

I find them to be more difficult to fit to horses than standard blankets, but if they fit properly, I like them.

They always seem too low-set, even for stock breeds, WBs, and TBs.

Seems like all the horses in my life have fat necks, too I never could find one to fit Alibar's bull neck.
                                        Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                        X