• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Feeding alfalfa cubes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding alfalfa cubes

Have a senior horse (20 yrs) on TC senior (6 lbs/day) and would like to supplement with alfalfa cubes for the winter. He's in OK weight, but could stand a little more. How much should I start with? Currently on free choice timothy/orchard mix hay.

I sometimes fed mine the cubes filling my feed scoop with them and soaking well.

I will NEVER have them here again though after going through a TERRIBLE 3-4 hour choke from feeding a few dry for a treat one day. It even took the vet a very long time to shove the thing down with a tube as it wouldn't pass on its own.

I KNOW you will hear from a lot of people who might feed them dry (my friend does)...but why take a chance.

So soak them for a long while and well...or give a nice sloppy bucket of wet beet pulp along with the regular feed ...it will add some weight..my guys love it.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Comment

I'd start with about 1/4-1/2 lb....half a big coffee can. Soak in warm water for 15 min. Feed.

Work up as you see fit. Also consider adding vegetable oil. Start w/ 1/4 cup and work up to 2 C per feeding. That offers cool calories and can be helpful.
      A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

When I boarded at a barn that was ridiculously skimpy on hay, alfalfa cubes were basically my saving grace with my sensitive stomached mare!

Considering she DID have a sensitive stomach, I weaned her onto them VERY slowly (and she was still getting 4 flakes of hay a day). I started with about 6 cubes for a week. Then 12 cubes for 3 or 4 days. Then 1/2lb or so for a week. Then 1 lb for a week.

Once she was on 1lb a day, I'd slowly increase the cubes at a rate of 1lb/per week. So..

Week 1 - 1 lb.
        Week 2 - 2lbs.
        Week 3 - 3lbs.

etc, etc.
        Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

You may want to use hay stretcher pellets instead. They take much less time to soak in winter than alfalfa cubes, and do a good job of keeping weight on.

Comment

I'd def. soak the cubes, but it could be a good way to keep the weight on your old horse.

You probably want to supplement with about 3-5 pounds per day. A BIG coffee can full of cubes is approximately one pound (dry).
            I would start him out with a handful of them dry (maybe 5 cubes) just so the horse get's used to them for a couple days. Then bring him up to half can (assuming you are using a big coffee can for a few days, then a full can for a week. Then he wil be accustomed and you can probably just keep on adding it on.

I tend to soak them in a little more than 1:1 ratio (slightly more water)

Comment

I use the Alfalfa Cubes when I pack into hunting camp and for the occassional trips into National Parks like Yelowstone where I need certified weed free forage. I substitute it on a 1:1 basis for baled hay. If my horses get 20bs of baled hay each day, they get 20 lbs of cubes. I do make sure they are eating baled alfalfa before I switch to cubes. It's enough of switch to go from baled hay to cubes, I don't want to also switch from grass to alfalfa at the same time.

Unfortunately at hunting camp, I have to haul in all my water. So I don't have water to soak the cubes for my horse. Each day we ride the horses down to water them. They get plenty of water, But in camp they eat their cubes dry.

I also frequently travel with my horses. One of the horse motels that I put the horses up in, boards around 40 horses. He feeds Alfalfa cubes to all of the horses he boards. I've watched him scoop up the cubes into 5 gal buckets and pass out to all the horses. None of which get them soaked.

I know there are folks who have had horses choke on dry cubes. I've witnessed many horses eat dry cubes and have never seen one have a problem. You will have to decide if this is a concern for you. But I don't worry about it. I'd much rather my horses have the feed while in hunting camp. After many years of feeding the cubes dry, I don't worry about soaking. Some horses are prone to choking, It may happen when they lawn clippings, beet pulp or hay cubes. I spend more time making sure my horses are not starved into wolfing their feed, that they stay hydrated, that they each have their own feed and not competing to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Painted Horse View Post
                I use the Alfalfa Cubes when I pack into hunting camp and for the occassional trips into National Parks like Yelowstone where I need certified weed free forage. I substitute it on a 1:1 basis for baled hay. If my horses get 20bs of baled hay each day, they get 20 lbs of cubes. I do make sure they are eating baled alfalfa before I switch to cubes. It's enough of switch to go from baled hay to cubes, I don't want to also switch from grass to alfalfa at the same time.

Unfortunately at hunting camp, I have to haul in all my water. So I don't have water to soak the cubes for my horse. Each day we ride the horses down to water them. They get plenty of water, But in camp they eat their cubes dry.

I also frequently travel with my horses. One of the horse motels that I put the horses up in, boards around 40 horses. He feeds Alfalfa cubes to all of the horses he boards. I've watched him scoop up the cubes into 5 gal buckets and pass out to all the horses. None of which get them soaked.

I know there are folks who have had horses choke on dry cubes. I've witnessed many horses eat dry cubes and have never seen one have a problem. You will have to decide if this is a concern for you. But I don't worry about it. I'd much rather my horses have the feed while in hunting camp.
                I also fed my cubes dry most of the time. If the horse isn't a food hound, and has ZERO dental problems, it's usually fine. My mare will eat one cube at a time, and even spit out half of a cube if she thinks it's too big. She's a very dainty eater.

For an older horse, I'd probably soak them, just to be safe. Older horses usually don't have perfect teeth, so better safe than sorry. If you can't soak, then I'd probably do alfalfa pellets instead. The really small pellets, not the thumb-sized pellets.

Comment

In my experience they are much less likely to choke from the cubes than the pellets.
                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                    In my experience they are much less likely to choke from the cubes than the pellets.
                    Really? Good to know. I assumed since the pellets are so much smaller (ie the size of most normal "grain" pellets), they'd be safer.

Comment

Agreed that you should start with around 1/4 lb (two big handfuls) and work up as needed. I love the senior/cube mush to put weight on. I mix everything with hot water and let it sit for a few minutes before feeding. You can get extra moisture into them, give them a warm meal in the winter, it's easy to mix any supps with and great for feed droppers/ones with dentition issues.
                      Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Comment

the ancient mare with cushings and hard keeper gets about 3 lbs of soaked alfalfa cubes a day, she also get beet pulp and hay pellets along with her tc senior, everything gets soaked, she has hay all day but inspite of dental care not really able to eat enough of it

Comment

Originally posted by sublimequine View Post
                          Really? Good to know. I assumed since the pellets are so much smaller (ie the size of most normal "grain" pellets), they'd be safer.
                          The cubes break apart when they bite on them, the pellets have to be really chewed to break up. The pellets are about 10X the size of say a ration balancer pellet, so they aren't small.
                          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I used cubes as treats because they were cheaper. The consistency was always changing from bag to bag, some were like bricks...I have chosen to give them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                              The pellets are about 10X the size of say a ration balancer pellet, so they aren't small.
                              I've never bought alfalfa pellets that were any bigger than normal pelleted feed. I'm sure they make them, but I've never seen them.

I do soak all my cubes though. Not worth the risk of choke, and I have water in the barn. Plus I have one horse who likes to inhale his food, and an older mare whose teeth I would like to conserve. Our hay is stemmy enough without making her chew apart rock-hard alfalfa cubes on a regular basis.

Comment

Just sharing my own personal experience, for whatever it's worth.

Re choke:

I've fed some hay pellets for 30+ years to a variety of horses over the years. I've never had a horse choke. Again, just my own experience. "Your mileage may differ" I may just have been lucky.

I have personally seen at least 6 horses owned by friends and aquaintances, choking on cubes.

My soon-to-be 33 year-old gets soaked hay pellets. In cold weather, we use warm to hot water, and they are ready to feed in 5-10 minutes. In warmer weather, I may use water straight out of the barn hose and they become mush in just a few minutes.

Currently, I have one mare whose hay I supplement with regular (dry) hay pellets, to help her hold weight. (I've had great luck feeding the pellets to underweight horses, to help them gain, without having to add any grains or other supplements. I DON'T generally feed them to the "easy keepers" LOL).

Introduce the pellets (or cubes) slowly, just as you would any new feed, or change in hay/feed. A small handful to start, maybe, for a few days. Slowly increase the quantity over say, a week or two until you are at the volumne/quantity that you plan to continue at.

Comment

Working...
                                X