• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What are the cons of being an equine veterinarian?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the cons of being an equine veterinarian?

Besides the obvious things (such as, having to put down animals, or being called out late at night).

What are the little things that stress you? Do customers give you a hard time, not take your advice, etc...and after you think of all the cons, are you still glad you chose this career path?

Just curious.
    Originally posted by barka.lounger
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

I'm not an equine vet but I would guess on the list of cons might be having patients that weigh 1000+ lbs that have a fight or flight response and you're usually only seeing and handling them when they're sick or injured and scared.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Comment

-outdoor work: depending on where you are, this can be unpleasant at certain times of year, although many people consider it a pro as well - not much time stuck in an office!
      -risk of injury
      -physically demanding work
      -long hours
      -pay often isn't that great, especially shortly after you get out of school

... of course, I say these things as I work my way through 4 years of school toward my DVM with every intention of specializing in equine medicine .

Comment

Cons:
        no life.
        Listening to endless rants by horseowners about haw badly the veterinarian is ripping them off. Rants about why they can't have prescription drug X dispensed to "have on hand".
        Physically demanding work.
        Bloodstains on all your good clothes (Murphy's law of emergencies)
        the frustration of not being able to cure or fix everything

Pros:
        great clients
        hanging around with horses and getting paid for it
        newborn foals
        driving around in the truck and listening to music (tip of the adequan ball cap to Dr. Lori)
        the great feeling of being able to fix some things

I'd do it all again.
        "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

I'm not an equine vet, but worked around in the field for awhile...

I'd say some cons are:

-Getting people to call before it's too late. IE: People wait hoping to save $$ and by the time they call, the horse is off feed, not drinking, weak, and goes downhill fast....for something that may have been treatable if the vet had been called a few days sooner. (I'm thinking stuff like Potomac)

-Same people above then badmouthing you because you "killed their horse"....

-If you're not in a very large practice, being on call 24/7/365. That can be avoided some if you're in a larger practice but still...being on call can really take a lot out of your personal life.

-the cost of doing business and needing to run it as a business and not a charity.

-dealing with people who want you to diagnose over the phone instead of seeing the patient.

-foaling season.
          A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Another con: Just a thought...not really sure about the economics of it, but just something I've noticed...Depending on where your practice is, you might spend a lot more time in the truck (not making money) than on farms. Having a clinic can help, as can being in a concentrated horsey area (like Southern Pines). I'd imagine that a good receptionist could help with this by scheduling appointments in similar areas for certain days.

Plus: Having time in the truck is good for your mental state!

Con (true for all aspects of medicine - my dad (MD) complained about this all the time): People wait until 5:30 (if you're in small animal practice) or 10:30 (equine practice) to call you about something that's been going on all day (or week), and you could've dealt with that morning.

And I don't know if euthanasia is necessarily a con - it can be hard, but it's often much better than the alternative (watching the animal suffer). I worked in a small animal practice, and we had a client that didn't believe in euthanasia. Watching that animal suffer for almost a week (before the client finally agreed to euthanize) is something that will forever be seared in my memory. Sometimes euthanasia can be an okay thing, even though it is usually emotionally draining.

Are you considering applying to vet school? If so, let me know if you have any questions about the application process. I'm a 1st year right now. You may also want to check out the SDN forums.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Ben and Me View Post

Are you considering applying to vet school? If so, let me know if you have any questions about the application process. I'm a 1st year right now. You may also want to check out the SDN forums.
              Thanks! Yes I am considering. I'm actually in the stage before considering...I have a good amount of prereq's I'd need to knock out first (I have zero bio or chem from my college years, and very little math).

There is an info session at my nearest CVM next week that I am going to attend. I wanted to get a feel for it - see if it's something I'm really interested in. Then step B is seeing how long it would take (and how much $$) while working a full time job to get me to the point where I could even apply. Step C would be thinking of affording vet school and considering living 2 hrs from my s/o for 4 years

The reason I am even considering this is because my current job is incredibly stressful. Not saying being a vet is not - but I am just trying to weigh the cons...would it be worse than what I do now? So far, the answer is no, but I did post just to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.
              Originally posted by barka.lounger
              u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Comment

Have you looked at the pre-req website for your in state school yet? If your in state is the same as mine was (which I'm guessing might be the case, based on the fact that they have an info session scheduled for next week) they have everything spelled out very clearly on their website. You might want to check that out before the session, just so you have an idea of some good questions to ask.

First thing you'll want to do is get some veterinary experience. You have to have a minimum of 400 hours to even apply, if we're talking about the same CVM. I'd recommend starting that before even taking classes - after all, you want to make sure this is what you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                  I'm not an equine vet, but worked around in the field for awhile...

I'd say some cons are:

-Getting people to call before it's too late. IE: People wait hoping to save $$ and by the time they call, the horse is off feed, not drinking, weak, and goes downhill fast....for something that may have been treatable if the vet had been called a few days sooner. (I'm thinking stuff like Potomac)

-Same people above then badmouthing you because you "killed their horse"....

-If you're not in a very large practice, being on call 24/7/365. That can be avoided some if you're in a larger practice but still...being on call can really take a lot out of your personal life.

-the cost of doing business and needing to run it as a business and not a charity.

-dealing with people who want you to diagnose over the phone instead of seeing the patient.

-foaling season.
                  I just retired after 7 1/2 years working at an equine clinic and your comments above are so true. We worked hard to make sure clients felt comfortable calling with concerns earlier rather than later.

Sedation is a vet's friend when working with some horses, those with the precious syndrone.
                  Last edited by SLW; Dec. 9, 2009, 08:23 PM. Reason: add

Comment

I'd have to think that the inability to really communicate in depth with one's patients has got to be a source of great frustration. I mean, a good vet has many ways of finding out "what's wrong", but it would make me NUTS to not be able to simply ASK QUESTIONS and GET ANSWERS, straight from the horse's mouth as it were.

I spent almost six hours with a great equine vet yesterday, though, and was thinking as the day went on: "damn, this is FUN".
                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

There is a shortage of large animal vets in this country. Most graduating vet students go into SMALL animal practice because its WAAAAAy more money. Many large animal vets nearly starve! The costs are outragous, the hours suck, the pay is less than others make and the school are insane. That should about cover it.

Comment

Not a vet but I'll add just a couple of things I can recall my vets presenting as cons--

Clients who won't treat as you prescribe. One vet found she really enjoyed changing from a show-barn heavy practice to a back-yard based one. The first group wanted It Fixed Right Now and couldn't or wouldn't put in the time with slow things like cold-hosing or a slow approach to fitness and rehab. The second group was reported to faithfully do what it took (soaking abscesses, etc.) to contribute to treatment.

Billing.

Large debt out of school and poor pay for several years. An ultimately lower profit margin in comparison with small animal vets.

Everything else-- client relationships, trying to maintain a profit margin-- seems to have to do with how good of a professional and personable your are.
                        The armchair saddler
                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                          I'd have to think that the inability to really communicate in depth with one's patients has got to be a source of great frustration. I mean, a good vet has many ways of finding out "what's wrong", but it would make me NUTS to not be able to simply ASK QUESTIONS and GET ANSWERS, straight from the horse's mouth as it were.

I spent almost six hours with a great equine vet yesterday, though, and was thinking as the day went on: "damn, this is FUN".
                          While you can't ask them questions, the plus side is they don't lie to you either....
                          Turn off the computer and go ride!

Comment

Con:

The economics. I once read in one of the veterinary journals for large animal vets that it was an average of 20 years to get to an equivalent pay scale of small animal vets. Mostly this was due to the massive overhead and start-up costs (e.g. you have to take the hospital to the animal, not the other way round).

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                              Con:

The economics. I once read in one of the veterinary journals for large animal vets that it was an average of 20 years to get to an equivalent pay scale of small animal vets. Mostly this was due to the massive overhead and start-up costs (e.g. you have to take the hospital to the animal, not the other way round).

?? It costs MUCH less to start a mobile equine practice than a brick and mortar small animal practice. I mean, it's not even remotely close.

As far as pay--it really depends on what type of practice and what part of the country you are in. It will depend on whether you pursue a internship/residency as well. Practice owners generally make more money...but you do have the headaches of running a business. On average, small animal associates (ie, employed) vets make more than equine associates, but that's certainly not always the case. The worst is the first 5 years. You will absolutely not make as much as your SA classmates during that time. But it tends to get closer after that.

16 years later...would I do it again? Absolutely. Most days, anyway I am a 100% equine ambulatory vet/practice owner.

The poster who suggested you go get some practical experience is right on target. You MUST know what it is really like--and even then, watching a vet work is not the same as doing it yourself. But you'll have a much better idea if slogging through the calculus, chemistries, physics in undergrad is worth it.

Interestingly, I don't think for most of us it ends up being a financial decision of equine vs small animal. It is a lifestyle decision and how important riding, husband/kid/family time and time off on a regular basis is to you. Even then, if you find the right hospital/situation you can make it work.

What do I like the best? Knowing I helped.

What do I least like? That has changed through the years. That moment when you know the kindest, most realistic option is to euthanize, but you know it has not dawned on the owner yet and you need to discuss it. I dread that.

It used to bother me about client compliance and not taking my advice, but now I realize that each owner often needs to get advice from many sources to come to a decision/plan of action. You paid me for my advice; I hope you take it, I think it is the best but ultimately you own the horse.

Well, I could go on and on. Go get some serious hours of experience (at least 400) under your belt and you'll be a lot closer to knowing if it is something you want to do.

Good Luck.

Comment

ColicHappens, are you in solo practice?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                                  Cons:
                                  no life.
                                  Listening to endless rants by horseowners about haw badly the veterinarian is ripping them off. Rants about why they can't have prescription drug X dispensed to "have on hand".
                                  Physically demanding work.
                                  Bloodstains on all your good clothes (Murphy's law of emergencies)
                                  the frustration of not being able to cure or fix everything

Pros:
                                  great clients
                                  hanging around with horses and getting paid for it
                                  newborn foals
                                  driving around in the truck and listening to music (tip of the adequan ball cap to Dr. Lori)
                                  the great feeling of being able to fix some things

I'd do it all again.
                                  I have the same hat! I'm wearing it right now lol.

Cons:
                                  -fire engine medicine (clients that avoid calling you until it is an absolute DIRE emergency-like three weeks after the fence wound on the leg and now the horse is NWB, or people that wait two days to call you for a colic that you might have been able to fix)
                                  -clients that call every one BUT you for a problem and only consult you after 15 other people have seen and worked on the horse

Pros:
                                  -Newborn Hereford calves (ok snuck a bovine pro in lol)
                                  -Newborn Paint foals
                                  -Being able to get back in the truck and DRIVE AWAY from a bad call-it's like being able to start over on the next one. Not like being stuck in the clinic where the bad vibes follow you around
                                  -Riding around in the truck with the best. dog. ever.
                                  Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                                  Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                                  Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                                  Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

Newborn Hereford calves (ok snuck a bovine pro in lol)
                                    Well, I was going to mention correcting a dystocia in a ewe and seeing newborn triplets....
                                    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Dystocia in anything is no bueno. Specifically when a fetotomy is involved.

Everything everyone said is so true.

Something else you really need to consider is the fact you will always be "the vet." Horse shows, trail rides, 3-day events, riding lessons, ropings, whatever you do, you will ALWAYS be bombarded with questions from clients and the best, people who say "We don't use you because you're too expensive but can you answer my question?" You will get people coming to your door- no joke, Halloween 2007- asking vet questions because they see the vet rig. It really never stops. It does hinder your personal "horse life."

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                                        Well, I was going to mention correcting a dystocia in a ewe and seeing newborn triplets....
                                        see, not a vet here, but unsticking a lamb/kid and watching the other 2 pop out behind her like an assembly line...priceless
                                        Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                                        I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Working...
                                        X