• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

horse ownership considered abuse by PETA???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horse ownership considered abuse by PETA???

I have a friend who's daughter won't ride anylonger because her daughter got involved with PETA....She said that haltering a horse--owning a horse is abuse---as well as riding it.

?????

I haven't heard of this..... is her daughter over the top, or are they really this "strict"?
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

I think that's their policy, but they're nuts. The modern domesticated horse couldn't live long on it's own, without us.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

Yup. Having pets of any kind is evil and wrong and degrading to animals. So I hope she got rid of her dogs and cats, too.
      Originally posted by tidy rabbit
      Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

Per PETA - no animal should be subject to being captive in any form.
        ~ Kimberlee
        www.SpunkyDiva.com

Comment

Nope, normal PETA (or more apt, pita) propaganda. Sitting on horses, stabling them, owning them, etc is considered unecessary abusing use of an animal for human entertainment value.
          They should all be *wild and free!*

Save an animal...eat a PETA.
          You jump in the saddle,
          Hold onto the bridle!
          Jump in the line!
          ...Belefonte

Comment

The PETA people are radical and upsetting and offensive---but every now and then, they're right. (But, not about owning and riding horses, imo.) Look them up on the internet and read their principles, just to see where you agree and disagree. It's an eye-opener.

For example, they are urging that Californians pass a spay/neuter bill for companion animals--a good thing imo. They list cosmetic companies that don't use animal testing--another good thing imo. They advocate that children be taught to treat animals kindly. Nothing wrong with that as far as I can tell.
            Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

Comment

PETA is sometimes like the ACLU only they are hardly involved in anything realistic.
              Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

There are PETA people, and then there are *PETA people,* if you know what I mean. PETA is one of those strange organizations that has actually done quite a lot of good for animals, but it does definitely also have its own agenda and lunatic fringe. I used to work with a number of *PETA people* who did ask me if it was cruel to ride a horse, because that was what they had read. I tried to explain that horses generally enjoy being ridden, and that riding is a partnership. But we really didn't have many personal conversations after that.
                Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
                Visit him on Facebook:
                http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

Comment

http://www.peta.org/about/faq.asp

Interesting to read thru.
                  ~ Kimberlee
                  www.SpunkyDiva.com

Comment

normal PETA (or more apt, pita) propaganda.
                    Save an animal...eat a PETA
                    Well phooey, that's what I wanted to say

I never have had much use for PETA, but I didn't really believe when someone told me awhile back that they actually thought owning a horse was abusive.

They must be absolutely ecstatic at all the "horse dumping" (abandonment) that is going these days. Putting the horses back into the wilds and all----never mind that their chances of survival are slim and none

Stuff like this makes me glad I'm old. I love, love, love Bucky Covington's song "A Different World". I lived that song and am still around to tell about it ----didn't have PE(I)TA back then either. I sense the need to "step away from the soap box"

Comment

Yes. That's PETA for ya.
                      THey also liken breeding to slavery practices where one horse was "put with" another horse for the purpose of procreating for "profit". Poor horses had no choice who they bred or didn't breed, and when "the act" was done, they were seperated and no longer saw each other.

Also fish in aquariums...inhumane.
                      =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
                      ~Jilltx~

Comment

Originally posted by LisaW-B View Post
                        PETA is one of those strange organizations that has actually done quite a lot of good for animals, but it does definitely also have its own agenda and lunatic fringe.
                        Make no mistake, PETA has occasionally done (or created the impression that they have done) 'good' things, but that is only to try to appear mainstream in the hope of getting more bucks from unknowing animal lovers. Plain and simple, they are extremists, opposed to all forms of animal 'use' whether eating, research, riding, or owning a dog or cat or guinea pig or whatever. Ditto HSUS.

PETA in fact willfully causes the deaths of animals to try to make political points. Mind you I do have friends who are card carrying PETA members (and who are somewhat in denial about the 'real' agenda)- but the organization is awful. Ditto HSUS. Ditto Fund for Animals. None of these will ever see a penny of my money!

Comment

I take an Animal Behavior class as an elective at my high school, and we recently began talking about PETA. They really are a little bit nuts when it come to certain things. Its proven that a horse does not live as long when it is in the wild, so having a horse live longer is cruel?

I love the thing about fish in aquariums. Hahaha

Comment

PETA is a bunch of dysfunctional, stark staring bonkers nutters.

Ordinarily if their members had an additional brain cell, they could apply to become a cabbage.

And I really must stop mincing my words, and just come out and say what I think.

Comment

Its scary what PETA believes...but it seems like so many of their members own dogs or cats...

Isn't that against the rules? I have a hard time supporting Carrie Underwood since she too is a PETA member...
                              Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Comment

These people set farm raised mink free to fend for themselves. They can't. They were run over by cars are killed by other animals and starved to death. Yup that is humane.

They took dogs from a shelter and killed and dumped them in a dumpster under the guise of "adopting them out". Right that is humane.

They don't want anyone to own any animals.

Comment

While I think PETA has many WACKOS in it... GO "people eating tasty animals"... lets at least have our facts straight before we go bashing them. Again NOT a PETA fan, I'm much more into animal welfare than animal rights and despite what PETA says horses need us in today's world.

"How does PETA feel about horseback riding?

When there is a respectful, loving bond between horse and human, then horseback riding is as much an act of companionship and exercise as walking one’s dog. However, just as we oppose the use of "choke" collars on dogs, we also oppose the use of whips, spurs, and other devices that cause discomfort and pain to horses.

PETA supports humane, interactive training. Just as a dog can be lovingly or abusively house-trained, gentle methods can be employed to teach a horse to allow a rider on his or her back. PETA does not support training methods based on punishment."
                                  Meredith Barlow, EqDT
                                  http://www.equidentistry.com
                                  Meredith offers seminars on equine dentistry free of charge. Call or email to set up yours today!

Comment

Originally posted by Seal Harbor View Post
                                    They don't want anyone to own any animals.
                                    That's right. Because for every kind, knowledgable owner there's a cruel or ignorant one. The animals have no choice of where they wind up. They are truly slaves at the mercy of their "mastas".

How many dogs and cats are brought to the pounds (if they're lucky) each and every year because people get "tired" of caring for them, get sick of the expense, have no clue that the cute little puppy will grow into a big obnoxious DOG without TRAINING? Millions are slaughtered every year in the US alone. Millions! Thousands of horses suffer the same fate or worse.

And how about "Onco" mice? Animals genetically engineered to develop cancer? Where's the humanity in that?

People believe what suits them and justify their actions, just as slave owners did/do. If you have horses, how can you not believe riding them is a "partnership"? Can you honestly say the TB race horse, the eventer, the reiner, etc, don't exist solely for human entertainment and/or profit?

But ask yourself, what other partnerships do you have where you are allowed, encouraged even, to use whips and spurs on your "partner" to get them to do what you want? S&M freak clubs? At least those folks participate of their own free will.

Until human consciousness is very much raised (and I won't hold my breath - look at the atrocities humans perpetuate on other humans, including their own children), I tend to agree with PETA's stance regarding domestic pets, "Breed none until there are none".

Comment

That's a somewhat extreme view.
                                      There *are* shades of grey in the middle, as with everything in life.
                                      Because some people neglect or abuse their children doesn't mean nobody should ever have a child ever, anywhere.
                                      Because some people neglect or abuse their pets does not mean nobody should own one ever.
                                      A crop and/or spurs when used correctly are not abusive or even painful.
                                      You jump in the saddle,
                                      Hold onto the bridle!
                                      Jump in the line!
                                      ...Belefonte

Comment

ALF

When I'm a (very) old woman, I'll probably join these people. After all, their home office is in California, so my people wouldn't have a long trip to visit me in prison.

http://www.animalliberationpressoffice.org/
                                        Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

Comment

Working...
                                        X