• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

For those who feed no grain - what do you feed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who feed no grain - what do you feed?

Just curious, I was hoping to hear about what you feed your horses on a daily basis including hay, supplements, etc. Do you base it on hay testing?

I'm currently feeding my guys a few handfuls of ration balancer as a base for Platinum, MSM, Quiessence, and Vit E and am thinking about switching the base to alfalfa cubes or pellets or beet pulp without sugar (still only a handful) and adding in some oil if they seem to need more weight (hard to imagine though with my easy keepers).

One horse is also a draft cross and I'm thinking I should try to incorporate more fat into her diet anyways (EPSM). She isn't showing any symptoms but I know it's a good diet, and the other is a Pony who tends to be heavy.

I'm calling today about some hay that sounds good - first cut (which is what I prefer to feed so they can have "free choice"). This hay is 12% crude protein and 98% DE. Currently I am feeding first cut that I have not tested because I didn't get much of it. Both horses are in perfect weight.

Can I heard your diets for your grain-free horses?

Thanks!~

Edited to add that I did a search and read all the hits (a lot of them!) but still didn't get all the answers I was hoping for.

[QUOTE]
    Originally posted by Nanerpus View Post

I'm calling today about some hay that sounds good - first cut (which is what I prefer to feed so they can have "free choice"). This hay is 12% crude protein and 98% DE. Currently I am feeding first cut that I have not tested because I didn't get much of it. Both horses are in perfect weight.
    an RFV of about 85-90 would be helpful also I'm puzzled at the 98 %DE...are you sure that is not a typo ??

best
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Nov. 27, 2009, 02:47 PM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Probably 90% of my horses live on good grass mix hay, some pasture grass, and a lb or so of alfalfa pellets a day. I was feeding whole flax at one point but had to back off of that for a while for budget control. I do feed a little oats to some who need a bit more energy like the weanlings and yearlings but no mature horses get oats at all.

Anyway, I have tested my forage and balance to that. I add magnesium, copper and zinc in a loose salt base. I'm not feed vitamins at this point but do remember they are easy keepers and get a lot of good fresh hay and some pasture. My horses look much better on this program than they ever did on a commercial feed mix before.

Comment

Many of my horses get no grain for most of the year. They're mature horses with no special needs, and they don't do any work. They get pasture and mixed grass roundbales when pasture is lacking. The hay is not tested, but it comes from several different fields so the grass mix is different from each location. They get no supplements other than their mineral salt block. I'll start feeding grain pretty soon- and that's just a mix of shell corn and calf feed with a handful of Diamond V yeast thrown in for good measure. Most are ASBs and not especially easy keepers so they need grain through the winter months. My draft mare would do just fine if she never saw a kernal of concentrated feed. They're all in good weight and have no issues.

Comment

My mare is on round bales of quality grass hay for winter, in the summer she gets 24/7 grass pastures instead of hay.

She gets Mega Cell, a multivit/min supplement, once a day, mixed with about a cup of Kent Dynasty Pride. The Pride is just to mix the supps in with, it's a complete feed that's top ingredients are beet pulp and soy hulls, so good roughage.
          Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

5 horses, 3 ponies, ancient minidonk and 3 goats -- all get raw vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds 'salads'. The 28 yo. OTTB gets Poulin Senior with his salad; the 25 yo. gets Forage Extender with her salad and the rest just get the salads - once a day. Plus they all get as much hay (Timothy/Grass/Alfalfa) as they want. Goats get oats and cracked corn (and sometimes on cold nights I'll add cr. corn to the old guys' meals, too) ... the other horses range from 3 yo to 12 years old. The donk is close to 50. No more supplements since I started the salad diet for them. All have GAINED weight, stronger hooves, silkier coats.
            --Gwen <><
            "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
            http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Comment

I am currently feeding ADM feeds-they are not grain based.

Comment

I feed alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, and rice bran - depending on the horse I feed a combination of all three or just rice bran. All get a custom Vit E/Selenium/Biotin/Zinc, etc. supplement along with MSM. All horses are shiny and healthy and fit for their work.
                My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

Two ounces of Farnam Vita-plus, 1/3 cup of flax, one also gets Remission and another gets Cosequin. They get pasture 12 hours a day in summer and 10 hours in winter. They also get timothy hay in summer and winter and in the coldest months when the grass is not growing they get alfalfa/timothy mix in addition to the timothy. One older thoroughbred gets alfalfa pellets in addition to the hay and Vita-plus. They all have access to white salt blocks and fresh water at all times.
                  Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

Mine get alfalfa cubes and SmartVite, plus very nice coastal hay. My big mare gets rice bran, and anyone else who looks a bit thin gets some rice bran as well. I also add some of Morton's Salt Balance when it's warm out, or I notice them spending more time at the salt block than normal.

Comment

I feed a ration balancer and local grass hay, some get an alfalfa grass blend. In my opinion you do need to give enough balancer to make sure they are getting the desired vitamins and minerals. You can always run a mineral analysis to make sure they are in all within normal range.

Comment

My QH mare (we suspect she has EPSM tendencies) gets soaked alfalfa cubes and a cup of corn oil per feeding with a cup of Equalizer thrown on top. In summer she is on 24/7 pasture, in winter she gets all they hay she can eat (round bale outside, square bales inside). She used to be a very hard keeper and I tried every grain and supplement going. She didn't start to gain weight until I took her off the grain, and now she is at a good weight and has had no trouble maintaining it.

Comment

For winter, free-choice mixed grass round bales, one lb ration supplement, half-dose of smartpak ez-keeper grass vit supp since not feeding full recommended amt of ration balancer. In summer, I replace the hay with good pasture.
                          Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)

Comment

Mine are on only grass and hay about 70% of the time.

I spend most of the year managing grass grazing by restriction and so feeding hay.

When it's winter they do have their hay supplemented with a hard feed diet which is barley based and with carrots, swede, cabbage (or other green leaves) salt, vegetable oil and molasses. Anything that needs extra to maintain condition may have boiled linseed additional.

Comment

Working...
                            X