• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What Do You Pay For Field Board?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Pay For Field Board?

Board is going up again at the barn where I keep my horses, so it got me curious as to what others are paying for field board and what kind of amenities are included.

I will be paying $375 and I'm in the middle of nowhere in Maryland about 70 miles outside of a metropolitan area.

The pastures are degraded and wet and muddy all winter, except when they're frozen mud. There are too many horses on the property, and though most (but not all) have access to run-in sheds they can get crowded when the weather's bad and sometimes the low man gets chased out.

Horse are grained/hayed twice a day and get round bales in the winter. Grain is generic from the feed store and horses are fed in the fields so some don't get their entire rations while others get too much. Hay is low quality grass though this year's is looking better than usual due to a good season.

Price includes holding for the farrier, trims and deworming. On the plus side, the BO lives on the property and is an experienced horseman who is often able to diagnose and treat minor issues without the need for bringing in a vet. He also uses a great farrier (not so easy to come by in these parts) who is on site once a week and so is readily available when problems arise (e.g. abscesses, resetting shoes, etc.). Stalls are available for emergencies, usually without any additional charge.

We also have access to trails and to a large ring with jumps and decent footing and lights.

I live near Fair Hill and pay $200 a month.

This includes fields that are a bit grazed down, but still have grass. There are two horses in my field now and have never had to many horses to stand in the run in shed.

The horses are fed in the shed. When I owned the filly, she would leave her shed and eat other horses' food. So they put a bar up - simple drop in set up. She learned how to lift that out and get out (the other three were not locked in, just her), so they had to put some screws in to lock it down so fatso couldn't get out and steal food. The fourth horse was my mare who was boss, but not a piggy, so filly would not eat her food, just the other two.

Board includes store brand grain and hay. In the summer, they get rationed. Now that it is winter, it is free choice decent hay (square bales placed in the shed). Barn owner feeds twice a day, but I schedule and hold for farrier and handle worming and everything else.

There is a really nice, large ring with jumps. Not much trail riding on site, though there is a bit of woods I can meander through. I am only a 10 min trailer ride to Fair Hill, though, so not bad.

The owners are experienced farmers and horse people, probably not as much as yours, but they do know a real emergency from a scratch.

Comment

In St. Louis Missouri

We field board a horse. $250/month.

Includes senior feed - horse is 20+ yrs.

Turnout with one other horse. They get fed together but get along. Grass Hay in winter.

There are 500+ acres trails. Jumps in field, no riding arena of any sort.

Total of 11 horses on property.

I do know that there are a few places around here that are about $130/month but they include hay and no grain. People basically create a co-op to feed their horses. Problem with that is they also end up feeding other horses that look thin just because they feel sorry for them and the owner never comes out. So I don't know what it ends up costing them a month in grain.
      -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

I pay $350/month in Mont. Co, MD. It's a large facility with two outdoor rings (one lighted), a large indoor, several xc courses, access to state park. My horse lives out with ~20 other field boarded horses in a 70 acre field. Stalls are available for use, but anything longer than a day you usually get charged. They will bring in for vet/farrier if you use the ones the farm uses. The farm vet comes twice a week and farrier usually at least once/week.

The horses are not fed grain unless the owners do it. You can feed the generic farm grain at no charge or bring your own (not sure it's composition, I think it's pretty basic). The field is quite lush, so often we have to muzzle our horses in Spring/Summer b/c they get too fat . In winter months, they do get large roundbales at a pretty constant rate.

Owners live on premises and have been in the business for decades and they are invaluable resources.

I probably forgot some things, so some of my fellow boarders may chime in .

Comment

$100 mo/per horse for rental of the field. i have 2 horses, they have a good size field (mostly chewed down at this point) with a big double run in. there are stalls available for an emergency or if the weather is disgusting. i do all my own care and buy my own supplies and have use of all trails and a small outdoor. for an additional $150 a month i can use the "full care" boarders' amenities (2 indoors, 2 more outdoors, one huge, heated wash stall, ect) which i pay on one horse.
          My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Comment

Are you in western Maryland or NE Maryland? I'm from Maryland and could probably point you in the right direction if you're up for a change. That sounds a little pricey to me, especially with the low quality hay, the condition of the pastures and the fact you are 70 miles from a city.

Comment

Field board- $300/month. I have it cut down to $200/month by feeding 2x/week and supplying his own feed (he doesn't eat much). I am only boarder, she has 12 other horses.
              Big fields, one smaller field out back that is flat and level. Lots of grass in most of the fields. Hay fed 2x/day, plenty of it. Horses fed grain 2x/day, and BO is not extremely knowledgeable but knows enough and pays attention to detail on each horse. Caught Murphy colicking when all he was doing was "bleh I don't feel good" kinda look on his face.
              Water is gross- when she has help in the summer it is clean, but in the winter is fairly dirty. I am peeved.
              Also swaps horses around on a regular basis (as in several times/week), and my horse has a check ligament injury (now 2 months) and she keeps wanting to put him in the field with a steep hill.
              I'm willing to work this stuff out with her as she feeds enough hay- last winter my easy keeper pony lost a LOT (as in ribs showing) of weight as the BO at another place did the old "2 flakes 2x/day/horse no matter the weather"

Comment

$175/mo, in central IL, does not include grain. Includes round hay bales in winter, properly rotated and managed grass pastures in summer, water troughs checked and filled multiple times daily, heated troughs in winter.

I love my barn.
                Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

$300 (winter price). Includes as great pasture as you can get in the Front Range, hay in winter, grain (Progressive) and owner supplied supplements. Blanketing when necessary, first aid if necessary. Manager on property.
                  Access to great indoor, tack room, warm water wash rack, 1600 acres to ride on.

Oops, this is in the Colorado Springs/Larkspur area.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                    Are you in western Maryland or NE Maryland? I'm from Maryland and could probably point you in the right direction if you're up for a change. That sounds a little pricey to me, especially with the low quality hay, the condition of the pastures and the fact you are 70 miles from a city.
                    I'm in southern Maryland.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by murphyluv View Post
                      Water is gross- when she has help in the summer it is clean, but in the winter is fairly dirty.
                      We've had this problem too. There were even a couple of instances last summer when I went out and found the trough empty with six horses milling around it.

Comment

Sorry, don't know too much about southern Maryland. Daughter went to St. Mary's College and was on the equestrian team, but that was a long time ago.

Still seems very high for pasture board. I would look around if I were you. Make sure you get references and talk to current boarders. Wish I could help.

Comment

you have a pm EAY

re: semi-stall, semi-field board in so. md.
                          L'in'MAO at the horse world

Comment

We, in NW GA, have field board for $175/mo including hay (free choice in the winter, rationed in the summer), shelter, grain (the good stuff), can and do schedule farrier/vet etc and will hold. 300 acres of trails, jumps, arena being built. Also have access to stalls if there is an injury etc. Fields aren't overgrazed (2-4 horses per 5ac field or so). Its nice But then full board is only $275 lol I know we're lucky to be here!

Comment

SE Iowa

I grew up in NOVA, so I know that if I weren't living out here I wouldn't be able to afford a horse. For $185 you get nice fields with nutritious grass and automatic waterers, round bale of good hay from the farm in the winter, and your own stall for when you need it. Grain, supplements and stall-cleaning, shavings, etc, the responsibility of the boarder. We have an indoor and an outdoor arena with jumps and field after field with woods and trails. The BO is very generous about holding for farrier and vet and bringing in your horse if the weather gets bad--as it can do suddenly out here in the midwest. I love Fairfax Co, but I'm happy to be here!
                              Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)

Comment

$350 (pasture is same as stall board and mine still had a stall of his own). Before my horse was lame he was out 24/7 with 2-3 other horses in a nice grass pasture. Trees lined one side of the pasture and the massive barn another side. Free choice hay and as much grain the horse needs (my TB is an extremely hard keeper). Grain 2x a day. Fed supplements. Automatic water. Owner lives in area of barn. Hold for vet/farrier/equine orthodontist. They scheduled farrier too. They did wormer & just charged us for whatever vaccinations were.

12x12 stall in heated barn. They supplied shavings. Stalls cleaned everyday. Heated indoor arena- which is like 100x180+. Round pen in indoor. 150x250 outdoor. Outdoor round pen. Trails on property and access to neighbors. Horse walker. Jumps...
                                Originally posted by RugBug
                                Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Comment

I charge $300/m for pasture board. Small groups, four board wood fence, run ins, grass in summer, free choice high quality hay in winter, Nutrena grain 2x/d (as much as req to keep good wt), will feed supps provided by owner, Indoor, jumps, BO on property, barn with stalls for tacking up and areas to store tack, etc. Large fields for hacking and jump field.

This is fairly "expensive" for this area, but I have a nice facility that is mostly private and that is what it takes for me to be willing to take on a few boarders.

In Lexington I paid close to $300 several years ago and they did not feed grain or supps, or provide anything other than hay in winter, no indoor, etc, and this was 6y ago or so.
                                  Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Comment

To offer cheap but good field board, some serious acreage is needed, as well as well maintained shelter and year round water.

Once those items are in place, it shouldn't be that difficult to keep costs down.

If they aren't in place, field board can be a losing proposition for the BO.
                                    Inner Bay Equestrian
                                    Facebook
                                    KERx

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by M. O'Connor View Post
                                      If they aren't in place, field board can be a losing proposition for the BO.
                                      That is definitely the issue here and I know that the BO is not making money off of his boarders. There are too many horses for the acreage and not enough grass pastures so lots of them need hay year-round.

Comment

I have three pasture boarders and charge $65/mo per horse. But it is "self-care" - they supply hay, grain, etc. I supply grass, salt and water. I will grain for an extra charge.

I've got an outside arena with lights, but no trail access unless folks want to take their life in their hands and ride on the gravel roads.

Think I paid around $200/month for pasture board when I lived in North Carolina. It included hay/grain.

Comment

Working...
                                        X