• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

SmartGut & Powerpaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SmartGut & Powerpaking

In light of my other thread , has anyone tried SmartGut with any success?

Gus started cribbing again (and I'm still not sure if it was a one day thing, or if it's continued - will find out tomorrow) but in previous years, the cribbing was due in part to pain - and ulcers, so my vet thinks. I've never treated him for ulcers... and I don't have the $ currently to try Ulcergard/Gastrogard, but I have "treated" him with OTC supps in the past, with kinda sketchy results (cribbing did not stop, but the soreness of his barrel did).

I'm wondering if SmartGut would be worth a shot for a month, to see if anything improves/goes away.

Also, I'm supposed to PP the boys, starting this weekend. I've read the other threads about ulcers and PP, and how it shouldn't be harmful... but would you still PP given the fact that new "issues" have arisen?

FWIW, Gus is getting 1/2lb of alfalfa pellets daily and has been for the better part of 6 weeks now. No changes in his diet recently, but we did add in TC Senior at the beginning of the month. He's getting 1lb of that and 2lbs of TC Lite and is finally starting to put the weight back on. He's also getting about 20ish lbs of a mixed grass hay daily.

So, should I try the SmartGut? Something else? I really don't have the $ to spend right now trying Ulcergard/Gastrogard for a month... I can probably swing something in the $35/mo range to try to see if it helps. Suggestions, please.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I started our ulcer boy on Smartgut after he did a month of UlcerGard. I think it's great!! He's a totally different (happy) horse. I don't know how fast you'll see results if you're hoping for the SmartGut alone to help you heal ulcers though....

I PP'd my guy back when he had ulcers and again (as recently as a couple weeks ago) while he's on SmartGut. No problems! Good luck
    Y'all ain't right!

Comment

How does ranitidine compare to the SG? 6.6mg/kg is the dosage, at least twice a day if just prevention, but 3x/day if you're trying to actively relieve ulcers.

I wouldn't use it, but if you aren't opposed to Quest, it will get almost all the encysted strongyles without causing the 14-day post-treatment ulcer issue from a Power Pack.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JB View Post
        How does ranitidine compare to the SG? 6.6mg/kg is the dosage, at least twice a day if just prevention, but 3x/day if you're trying to actively relieve ulcers.

I wouldn't use it, but if you aren't opposed to Quest, it will get almost all the encysted strongyles without causing the 14-day post-treatment ulcer issue from a Power Pack.
        Well... here's the ingredients list, not sure how it'll copy...

This is per 30g serving:

L-Glutamine 5,000 mg
        Calcium Carbonate 4,500 mg
        Magnesium Carbonate 3,000 mg
        Hydrolyzed Collagen 2,700 mg
        Magnesium Silicate 1,700 mg
        Deglycyrrized Licorice 1,500 mg
        Mannanoligosaccharides 1,300 mg
        Glycine 875 mg
        Gamma Oryzanol 300 mg
        Slippery Elm 300 mg
        Marshmallow Root 250 mg
        Orthosilic Acid (Silica) 35 mg
        Lactobacillus Acidophilus 750 million CFU

See http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctclassid=6320 for the complete product details.

If I did the calculations right, Gus is 500kg. So that's 6.6mg (times) 500kg, which would equal 3300mg/dose. Right? If so, that's a lot - or seems like a lot. So how many pills would that be?

I did end up ordering a month's worth of the SmartGut. And, I think I am going to go ahead with the PowerPak over the weekend.

JB, I wouldn't mind trying Quest (despite all the negative reviews I've heard on here) but... Gus is still a bit underweight and I wouldn't want something to happen to him because of that. I'll just keep an eye on him to make sure nothing gets worse... if so, I'll just discontinue the PP. FWIW, vet did okay doing a PP.
        See G2's blog
        Photos

Comment

Originally posted by appychik View Post
          Well... here's the ingredients list, not sure how it'll copy...
          Sorry, I meant cost-wise

If I did the calculations right, Gus is 500kg. So that's 6.6mg (times) 500kg, which would equal 3300mg/dose. Right? If so, that's a lot - or seems like a lot. So how many pills would that be?
          How many pills depends on the size of the pill If it's the bulk pills from Sam's/Costco, that's 150mg pills. That's a dosage of 22 pills each feeding for Gus. But those are small, and when I used them, I just threw them in the feed (soaked a-pellets) and they were eaten right up.

JB, I wouldn't mind trying Quest (despite all the negative reviews I've heard on here) but... Gus is still a bit underweight and I wouldn't want something to happen to him because of that. I'll just keep an eye on him to make sure nothing gets worse... if so, I'll just discontinue the PP. FWIW, vet did okay doing a PP.
          Vet may be totally unaware of the Day 14 (Day 1 is first dose) issue with the ulcers If there is going to be an issue, it's not very likely to happen during the 5 days of the PP. It can, just not likely.

*I* would do the PP. Double dosing fenbendazole is an older treatment for ulcers Same chemical family - fenbendazole, omeprazole

Comment

• Original Poster

Sorry, I meant cost-wise

How many pills depends on the size of the pill If it's the bulk pills from Sam's/Costco, that's 150mg pills. That's a dosage of 22 pills each feeding for Gus. But those are small, and when I used them, I just threw them in the feed (soaked a-pellets) and they were eaten right up.

Vet may be totally unaware of the Day 14 (Day 1 is first dose) issue with the ulcers If there is going to be an issue, it's not very likely to happen during the 5 days of the PP. It can, just not likely.

*I* would do the PP. Double dosing fenbendazole is an older treatment for ulcers Same chemical family - fenbendazole, omeprazole
            Makes sense... comparing the costs NOT supps/drugs themselves (as there is no real comparison).

And, I forgot that you can get meds at Sam's Club. I'll need to remember that for the future.

But, I think I read on here before about the PP and ulcer med connection (same chemical family thing). And... didn't realize it can be 14 days out before issues (ulcers) appear. Thanks for the heads up.
            See G2's blog
            Photos

Comment

My horse did well on the smart gut, but I had to switch her over to U-gard because smart gut has licorice in it, which will test positive at a USEF show.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mypaintwattie View Post
                My horse did well on the smart gut, but I had to switch her over to U-gard because smart gut has licorice in it, which will test positive at a USEF show.
                Thankfully we don't show anymore, so I don't need to follow any regs.
                See G2's blog
                Photos

Comment

I use SmartGut on my suspected ulcery TB (vet insisted no) and it has done wonders for him. I couldn't decide between the SmartGut and SmartDigest at first, but went with SmartGut and I am very glad I did.
                  Rhode Islands are red;
                  North Hollands are blue.
                  Sorry my thoroughbreds
                  Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RacetrackReject View Post
                    I use SmartGut on my suspected ulcery TB (vet insisted no) and it has done wonders for him. I couldn't decide between the SmartGut and SmartDigest at first, but went with SmartGut and I am very glad I did.
                    I had the same issue, deciding between the two. But did go with SmartGut for this first month. I'm actually going to try (if needed) TractGard next month... hopefully there's no reoccurances...
                    See G2's blog
                    Photos

Comment

I use SmartGut on my OTTB's that just dont justify the cost of UlcerGuard. It does seem to help, and sure wont hurt
                      also PP is super for ulcers, and I have used low dose Panacur with UlcerGuard in the past (vets advice) we also used to use the liquid Panacur pre-race to help sooth and keep acid down. Also you can try a short term use of UlcerGuard to get you over the hump (I have been only paying $32.00 for a tube online so do some bargin shopping!)
                      owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Comment

Another thought... You'll find lots of information about SafeGuard or liquid goat wormer if you do a search (maybe you already have?). It's the same stuff as PowerPak in liquid form and considerably cheaper. Lots of us here use it
                        Y'all ain't right!

Comment

Liquid fen is definitely cheaper if you have 2 horses on the larger side. 1 horse makes it iffy - just depends on the size. But it's DEFINITELY worth looking into

www.agri-med.com and Tractor Supply both carry it - a-m is the cheapest I've found if you have to factor in shipping, but TSC is cheaper if you can go to a store and pick it up

Comment

I used SmartGut on a yearling who I had treated for ulcers - kept him a happy camper once the Ulcerguard was done. (and it smells YUMMY!! )
                            -Jessica

Comment

Liquid fen is definitely cheaper if you have 2 horses on the larger side. 1 horse makes it iffy - just depends on the size. But it's DEFINITELY worth looking into

www.agri-med.com and Tractor Supply both carry it - a-m is the cheapest I've found if you have to factor in shipping, but TSC is cheaper if you can go to a store and pick it up
                              True. I forgot that I usually do at least three horses at a time and two of them are pretty darned big!
                              Y'all ain't right!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by BeastieSlave View Post
                                Another thought... You'll find lots of information about SafeGuard or liquid goat wormer if you do a search (maybe you already have?). It's the same stuff as PowerPak in liquid form and considerably cheaper. Lots of us here use it
                                Yep. I remember and I listened to jn4jenny a while back and PRINTED off the info she posted... from the original post . So, yep I've got 4 bottles of the liquid fen and I'm ready to go (except I need to relocate my 60ml syringe... not sure where the heck I left it lying around).

ETA: I just purchased it thru Valley Vet cause I needed to get an order from there anyways. I'll try to remember TSC next time. They are ridiculously over-priced otherwise, but my local Mills Fleet doesn't carry the liquid fen.
                                See G2's blog
                                Photos

Comment

Appy

My BO feeds her mare old fashioned alfalfa cubes and they help with weight. My boy is on oil (Cocosoya from KVVet) which is 99% fat and also helps with weight (he is 22yo) plus all the grass and hay he can eat (and 2lbs grain per day)
                                  Appy Trails,
                                  Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
                                  member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Comment

• Original Poster

baylady7 -

I'd love to feed Gus more alfalfa, but being IR and not ever getting any alfalfa before the diagnosis... I don't want to risk laminitis. He has been getting 1/2lbs of alfalfa pellets daily for about a month now as is doing okay with them.

Back to the reason for the post... the boys had their first dose of liquid fen today. BO (aka future MIL) will be giving the other doses if I'm not out during feeding time. She seemed to grasp my reasonings behind it and was shocked that I could get it cheaper then what the catalogs sell it for.

So... here's hoping for no 14 day post-PP colics .
                                    See G2's blog
                                    Photos

Comment

Working...
                                    X