• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

When You Are Uneasy, Or I Think Rosie Is NQR - Update Page 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When You Are Uneasy, Or I Think Rosie Is NQR - Update Page 1

Disclaimer: I've already emailed my vet.

Ever since the weather turned cold, my daughters pony has not been herself.

She is stocking up behind and is stiff undersaddle.. a bit unwilling to go forward. I did a 3 day bute trial and she improved dramatically. All it took was a gram a day. So the easy answer is that because she is 16, she has some arthritis and the cold is bothering her.. she needs some Adequan, maybe her hocks done and particular attention paid to keeping her warm and comfortable.

But... today I noticed that her left eye looks - NQR. She is just barely, almost imperceptibly, squinting. No tearing, no swelling to speak of.

Now. If this were one of my other horses I would not be typing this, because I would not have this feeling of dread.. nothing, nothing is worse than thinking something is wrong with your Baby Girls Baby Girl Pony. I probably wouldn't be so uneasy if she had not had a mystery illness in August - very high fever of unknown origin that was controllable with banamine but did not resolve until she was put on Naxcel. We still have no idea what was wrong w/her, the only thing on her bloods was an elevated fibrinigen.

So.. I am not 100% sure that the stiffness is just arthritis.

Where do I begin? My vet will have ideas, but will want my input. I am thinking bloods and flexion, a lyme and EPM titer.. what else?

Updated Monday, October 26 - In true pony fashion, Rosie made sure that every symptom was GONE by this morning. So by the time my vet got here, there was really nothing to see. So we jogged her - sound, active. Did a complete physical exam - eyes, lungs, heart all look and sound great. Pulled a lot of blood, poop for a fecal. And we'll have some results of that in a few days. So I guess I am waiting again!

The human baby girl also pulled a fast recovery and was able to go to school today. Maybe it's some sort of subplot of the Baby Girls.. I don't know what to think...

other than to be grateful that at least for now, everyone seems ok!
    Last edited by EqTrainer; Oct. 26, 2009, 05:12 PM. Reason: Update
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Oh goodness! Jingles!!!

I don't know the symptoms as well as those of Lyme, but I would at least consider Erhlichia (sp) as well as Lyme. You've been so much wetter there than I have, and I would imagine your tick issue has been much worse than mine.

Does she walk ok, I mean, other than the stiffness, does she appear to be in full control of the direction of her legs?

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks JB. Let's face it, I am her fool

She *seems* to be neurologically fine but the eye... yes, that made me think neuro. LMEqT rode her this evening and she did not stumble even while circling on a hill. But she also did not want to go forward, which is odd for her as she is a forward pony. She's not grumpy.. just a bit subdued. Which basically was her only symptom last time she was sick, but I was not here so who knows, my farm sitter doesn't know her that well.

Our ticks had gone away for a while but my white doggie came in with one on his head yesterday so yes, that is on my mind..

I think I'll go take her temp again.
      ---
      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Remember that Lyme can sit dormant for years even, so just because you don't have ticks now, or haven't had them for weeks...

Man, first we have to take care of LMH and her little boy, now you and your little girls! Let's hope this is "just" a virus of some sort. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility it's related to whatever "it" was in August.

Comment

Jingles!

Follow your gut - every time my horses have been vaguely NQR, there was something wrong, even if it was a simple thing. When you spend so much time with them you see those little changes.

Hope it's nothing serious!

Comment

these are the exact symptoms my dog has when he has a TBD flair. He limps for unk reason, his eye on that side is usually especially "wet" and he seems sore all over and it seems squinty.

when this happened the last time, he was due for surgery and his platelet count had plummeted. It continued to drop to beyond scary numbers. Thought for sure I'd lose him. Put him on a course of Doxy and in a few days his platelets were back ABOVE normal and he was like a new oldmandog.

Comment

Hi EqTrainer,
              Want a worried NQR buddy. My 18yo gelding - same as your pony. Cleared up the eye thing about 2 weeks ago. We flushed it and use anti-b ointment, but he is stiff, unwilling to go forward, etc. Already did the neuro tests, low pos on epm titres. Drawing blood for a complete work up tomorrow.

You will be in my thoughts. Keep sharing what you know. Jingles

gry

Comment

any signs of cushings?

Comment

If you've got ticks and since you're S/E, I'd suspect Ehrlicchia. It's making a big comeback down here to horse and human alike.

Watch her temperature (they'll usually spike a big one). Other symptoms are as you described:

--general malaise
                  --stocking up
                  --SOMETIMES diarrhea.

Have vet run a titer. 14 days of Doxytetracycline usually knocks it.

JINGLES for da wee pony!
                  <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone

No temp last night and none now. But that doesn't mean I missed a spike, because she's a pony and doesn't exactly show any symptom that would mean NOT EATING Waiting on the vet to call. My guess is she will have me start her on Doxy and pull some bloods and run them to her if she's not in the area, so we can do a titer.

The human Baby Girl is in bed w/the flu.. got vaccinated for seasonal on Wed, looks like she's unlucky or has H1N1..

got a feeling this is going to be a trying weekend w/all my Baby Girls sick!!

I'll report back as soon as I have a clue...
                    ---

Comment

I say go with your gut. If you think something is NQR then something is wrong.

I had this feeling about my own child's pony. Different symptoms, same feeling of dread, which has been growing for several years. In addition to being ancient, my daughter's pony has cancer that rapidly got worse this summer. Until this summer, when I'd ask about it, the vets would shake their heads and say there didn't appear to be a problem, pony is healthy. The pony is okay for now (when I let her onto the lawn to graze she takes off to visit the Shetland stallion next door), but I don't want her to face the cold winter. For my daughter's sake I am waiting for a time between holidays to put her down. This is going to be difficult, especially since I'm also very attached to the pony.

Just know that others have been there with kids and their beloved ponies. I'm tearing up just thinking about how my daughter will feel about it (I haven't told her yet). It is inevitable. I hope your case turns out differently than ours.
                      "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

Well my friend, you have good instincts and she is in the best hands with you. So I'd say go in whatever path your gut is leading you.

I too would wonder if it were somehow related to the episode late this summer.

These mystery illnesses are always the hardest. And so incredibly frustrating.
                        I've long felt Win has something neuro going on beneath it all though we've not found anything conclusive.

Take care of that little girl, and the pony. I know you will. And remember now, take care of yourself as well!!!!

Will be thinking of you all this weekend.
                        We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

EqT, I'm really sorry to hear about both baby girls being under the weather

Jingling for quick recoveries and answered questions. Keep us posted!
                          Originally posted by Martha Drum
                          ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Comment

I have absolutely no ideas on the pony's health, but wanted to send jingles for recovery for both your little girl and her pony.

On your daughter, H1N1 is practically the only flu circulating currently. watch her for a second wave of illness after she seems to get a bit better. That will mean secondary pneumonia (my hubby is a pediatric nurse practicioner - I've heard this plenty with regards to our own kiddo) If she seems to get better then gets worse and has fever on the second illness wave take it very seriously and get thee to a Dr. especially if she develops lack of appetite or vomiting.

Take care of yourself, too. Pony and kiddo need you!

Comment

Awww crap! I'm sorry to hear that about both girls. Hope the two-legged one just has a 24-hour bug, and as for the four-legged one, no ideas other than what's already been mentioned. Both are in great hands though.

Jingling for you all.
                              Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Oh Eggy, nope, no signs of cushings although I manage her as if she were IR, being a pony and whatnot

The vet who is on call today is not one that I want to see my pony on a Friday so instead I had a long phone consult with my own vet, who will be on call all weekend and will be here Monday to see her regardless.

She agrees that it is most likely either an arthritic flare up or something tick borne. I am to take her temp religiously and call her if she spikes a temp, to give her 1/2 gram bute if she seems arthritically stiff and needs it OR 3 cc banamine if I think it is more muscular... and she will be here Monday if I don't need her before then.

So it will be a long weekend of watching closely and being nervous, but knowing my own vet is on call this weekend makes me feel so much better!

As of right now, neither Baby Girl has a temp, so far, so good... everyone is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping so that is positive

Here is a pic of LMEqT on her pony yesterday. She told me after her ride that her legs hurt really bad and that was why she was not "such a good rider today". Poor baby girl.. we had no idea she had the flu at that time!Minverva Louise, thanks for the tip - I am sure she has H1N1 so if she suddenly gets worse after getting better we'll be heading right to the doctor.
                                Attached Files
                                ---

Comment

That girl was made to be on a horse. How cute are they?!?
                                  We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

• Original Poster

So far, the human baby girl is 99% recovered. The pony is holding her own, no changes in any symptom or behavior. She did trot away from me this AM but her breakfast was *late*, oh heavens, I am such a bad servant on the weekends
                                    ---

Comment

Being a mother also, I give you the free pass for being late for the pony's breakfast-you had other things on your mind, obviously. I hope that Little Miss EQ and the pony both recover quickly and uneventfully.
                                      RIP Mydan Mydandy+
                                      RIP Barichello

Comment

Has the pony ever foundered in past? The "did not want to go forward" made me think of either subclinical chronic laminitis or soreness flare caused by colder weather. (previously laminitics often have compromised circulation in hooves) You could test that theory (cold induced pain) by putting standing wraps on pony for a day or so, see if that improves stiffness. I hope the Vet exam does find a diagnosis and cure!
                                        Jeanie
                                        RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

Working...
                                        X