• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Record Keeping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Keeping

A couple months ago I went from a 1 horse owner to a 3 horse owner and from a boarder to having the gang at our place. Now, i'm finding it a little difficult to keep up on the records.

Currently I've got a notebook with a section for each horse and a little portfolio with important documents and invoices in it. I'm going to try rendaivu.com tonight when I get home from work, as a back up.

But, my big issue is writing things down when they happen. How do you guys make your record keeping easier? Where do you keep your books? I've thought about keeping mine in the barn, but the chance of something ruining them keeps me from doing that. Keeping them in the house, I just forget. Then before I know it, "the horses were dewormed about 6 weeks ago.... I think", happens.

Suggestions?
    Thanks!
    BDC

One thing you could do is have a wipe-off board hanging somewhere in your barn where you can jot down when they were shod, dewormed, shots, etc. Or you could keep one of those daily calendar's in the barn and do the same thing. Then if you want, you can easily transfer the info elsewhere if you want to keep any records in your house or computer and you will always have it handy in the barn. I think the wipe off boards are great, not just for dates but for important phone numbers and to write down reminders like when to order hay/shavings/grain/supplements or anything else you may need and don't want to forget!

Comment

I keep all my stuff on a spreadsheet on the computer, because Lord knows that's where I am a good part of the day! Each horse has its own page with shot records, deworming for the last year, date Coggins expires, last float, last trim, plus other handy notes (insurance info, SCID status for the breeding stock, etc).
      Originally posted by HuntrJumpr
      No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Comment

I have a calendar that I write in every night and file at the end of the year. For 2010 I have spread sheets made to see what my horse actually cost me a year (scary but I'm curious!).

Comment

I have a binder in the barn where I gave each horse their own section. The first part of the section I typed and printed a blank feed chart, a blank deworming chart, and spots for farrier and vet visits. I print those out on cardstock, so they are heavier and easier to flip to in a hurry.

Then behind the cardstock pages I just have looseleaf notebook paper where I jot down training notes, behavior notes (if something is up) or any other miscellaneous stuff (like, I can flip back through and know EXACTLY when my horse cut his hind leg on th fence, when my colt was acting a little lethargic, when I switched my pony from supplement A to supplement B, when my TB mare started schooling leg-yields, etc etc etc)

I also keep a collection of pens at the barn, because for some reason, pens always seem to die faster when they are exposed to that much dust and the crazy temperature changes.

THEN, at home, I have a file (something like this) and each horse has 3 folders: one folder for things like registration papers, coggins, USEF records and so forth. The 2nd folder has all of the vet/chiro/farrier records/receipts. the 3rd folder is where I toss in all of my notes from the barn binder when it gets too full. At the end of the year, I leave everything in there- I just paperclip the year's worth of papers together so they don't get mixed up.

It sounds complex, but really isn't. I do most of my note-taking at the barn in my binder, and then the files at home are just there for me to toss misc. paperwork into.

The binder at the barn is actually really helpful, because my friend and I do self-care board, and we alternate days where we take care of the horses. That way, both of us can have some "days off" from the barn, but the horses are always taken care of. The feed charts help make sure the horses get fed the exact same thing, and the first thing we do after our days off is to go straight to the binder and see what happened the previous day.

Oh, I also have a dry-erase calendar in the tack room where I write all of the month's shows, farrier visits, riding lessons, deworming schedule, etc. so we can both see what's going on at a glance.
          Last edited by oharabear; Dec. 23, 2009, 05:46 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

I save the things I've done on the calendar on my cell phone as I'm doing them. Then I record them either on paper or on the computer when I get home. That way I have two records, and if I do forget to do it right then, I can go back and look at my phone to double check the dates.

Comment

I made a calendar in Word (though you could just buy a calendar too!) I have one for each horse and jot down when things happen- wound, farrier, vet, feed change, etc. I keep it on the bookshelf right next to my bed where it's easy for me to update. I put all the apts on the calendar in my phone as well- so if I ever get confused on dates I can always go consult that too!

I also have a saved document on my computer that is the complete and detailed record book. I usually go in and update it every month or so.
              Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
              If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Comment

I buy a Month at a Glance book for my horse. I note what work the horse did, which comes in really handy when others ride the horse. I also note feed changes, when I started a certain supplement, shoes, worming, etc. I keep it in with my tack and write in it last thing before I lock up. Just today the farrier was going to do his shoes because he thought it was time, but I checked and it had only been five weeks.

My friend with a busy schedule got me started keeping a calender. There were at one time three of us who rode/fed her horse, so we'd always know how much work he'd been doing and what to expect.

This came in very handy when I was rehabbing my horse and could write down to the minute how much walking and trotting he was supposed to be doing every day.
                2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

Calendar. One of those "year at a glance" ones that you can hang in the barn near your phone is good. Then all info is transferred into each horses's individual binder. You also might want to keep a 'journal'. Many states require a daily journal be kept for a working barn.
                  --Gwen <><
                  "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
                  http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Comment

I found this website a few months ago and it's worked great for me.

http://www.rendaivu.com/notlogged.php

I love having everything organized and with this program everything is so easy to access. Other than that I keep a large calendar to keep up with supplements and shows, and use a dry erase board for reminders and little notes.

Comment

I have "too many" horses. I get those nifty record sheets from Jeffers for about 22 cents a sheet and put them in a three ring binder. I keep it at my computer desk and have had it for about 4 years now. It's the first time I know when everything happened.

I actually saved a sale on a horse as they did a vetting and mentioned a small dent in her hoof. I looked back and saw that six months prior she had popped an abscess out the top of her coronary band. They said that was exactly what the vet had said.

I highly recommend them!
                      Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
                      Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
                      & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
                      www.frostyoaks.com

Comment

Originally posted by ambar View Post
                        I keep all my stuff on a spreadsheet on the computer, because Lord knows that's where I am a good part of the day! Each horse has its own page with shot records, deworming for the last year, date Coggins expires, last float, last trim, plus other handy notes (insurance info, SCID status for the breeding stock, etc).
                        Ditto to this except all my horses (3 right now) are on the same page just because I'd forget one or two if they wern't right in front of me!
                        http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

I keep everything in a binder. My only riding horse has detailed pages of her farrier, vet, deworming, show, etc in a section of the binder. Left over habit from my PonyClub days (They have a handy record book ready to fill in that you could print out for free and use to start good habits). The other three, my ancient mini and two I manage for my grandmother simply get a reference chart I made in word. I can jot down their tri and deworming dates, which is really all they need as pasture potatoes. If I had horses I was riding and needing/wanting to keep more details on, they’d have their own section in the binder.

As far as making sure to write it all down, I also have my own personal planner to keep track of the appointments in relation to my own schedule. I also went ahead and wrote in the deworming dates in advanced so when I get to a new month, I see it written down and get to it within a day or two.

I tried keeping an index box and cards, but because of smaller size it wasn’t that handy, and therefore I wasn’t as good as I could have been about dates.

Comment

I don't have many horses now, only three.

But that and 25 hounds makes for some confusion.

I have it all on one spreadsheet.

If you know anything about formulas, you can put day counting formulas in cells and even have them pop up a big warning in large bold font like RABIES PAST DUE.

Worming is easier for horses than for hounds.

I worm mine on the same day I have them shod.

I don't use Excel or Lotus 123 any more. I run linux, but if anyone wants to see how I do it, send me an email.

Some of the formulas may not work in Excell but it will give you the idea.

CSSJr

Comment

Horses get wormed the first of the odd numbered months (1/1/09, 3/1/09, 5/1/09). Coggins done on everything shortly after the first of the year and they get a rabies at the same time the blood for the Coggins is done. I do the rest of my shots myself, once in the spring and once in the fall. I just keep my receipt for the shots and write down the names of the horses that rec'd them on the receipt. It's rare that I ever go back and look at the receipts or have to compile a health history for the horse.
                              Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

I have only the one horse, but a really comprehensive record system for him - thanks, Pony Club!

He's got a binder with tabs separated by year. I usually keep 3 years in there - one upcoming, one current, and one past. In the front of each section are 12 calendar sheets, one for each month. Behind those calendar sheets are receipts, in chronological order. Anything smaller than a full page gets taped to a blank piece of paper so it can still go in there.

Then I jot a quick note in the day space on the calendars in front. "Trim - Ralph" or "Massage - Eva." That way I can go back to the receipt for particulars. I also use a color-coded system to highlight; trims are blue, massages are pink, vet care is yellow, worming is green, and misc. is purple. That way I can look at a month quickly.

His important papers are all filed in there, with copies kept up front in the pocket, so I can grab a Coggins or health certificate copy quickly. Really in-depth stuff (his radiographs, boarding contracts, etc) is in my filing cabinet in his folder.
                                life + horses
                                beljoeor.blogspot.com

Comment

Ah, I think the Horse Manager binder is your answer! This binder has 9 tabbed sections (The Basics, Vaccinations, Dental Care, Farrier, Chiropractor/Acupuncture/Massage, General Health, Training/Lessons/Exercise, Show Records, Important Documentation). Each section is filled with 1-3 different types of forms that allow you to easily track everything about your horse (there are 100 printed pages total within the binder). The forms are designed to be able to hold 5 years worth of information, but that’s assuming you track your lessons and training 6 days a week so for some it will last longer. Clear storage sheets are provided in the Vaccination section to hold your coggins and health certificate and in the Important Documentation section to hold your registration papers, insurance papers, etc.

Check it out:
                                  https://stayonthebit.com/products-pa...horse-manager/

Comment

For me it is a case of making the time to put in the entry. I'm very bad about doing that on daily basis. I collect receipts and put them in an old notebook, then about once a month I track where I am, (well,where they are) I may go to a block system that I use for the rest of my bills that gives me things to do per month and a block to fill in when I have completed the task, say the farrier shows up. Still requires me to sit down with the book or computer and do the entries. I waste entirely too much time on the computer surfing the 'net - need to get organized!
                                    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                                    Incredible Invisible

Comment

I have a calendar hung up in the barn and a white board.

Comment

Working...
                                      X