Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_0213
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Has anyone used "Thrive" feed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB View Post
    How is that?

The website is so secretive about it all. Special processing? How is it different from how other companies extrude their ingredients?

Hiding things does not endear a product to those of us who want specifics and are not just going to believe all the hype based on how well other horses are reportedly doing on it, not when there are 100 other products that have been producing healthy, shiny, happy horses for decades.

The website is so secretive?? lol.

Comment

Well, there's no analysis listed, and the owner/author/whomever even says he doesn't believe in that, he would rather people look at how other horses look on the product.

There are horses who look fantastic on Strategy. There are horses who look like total crap on Strategy.

where's the science that proves "micro milling" is magic?

"Thrive Feed is my answer to a trainers dreams." really??
      Healthy Horses Don't Need Supplements:
      "Horses fed Thrive Feed are supported in a powerful way to compensate for their captivity. The many issues associated with normal horse feeds are not evident in the herd of several thousand horses fed this product. Different thinking, different results."

Really???

It all seems to be based on problems and issues caused by feeding lots of actual grains, which in no way takes into account the myriad of feeds and feed options these days that use little to no grains.

It may actually be a quite nice feed, and I gather it probably is from this thread as well as various threads over the years on other boards. But the tone used to describe it and why nothing else compares is insulting to the intelligence of people like me who actually understand ingredients and what horses need, and who understand there are plenty of equally good options for a variety of horses.

Comment

Originally posted by hearts4horses View Post
        Thought I would let you know that Thrive Feed has been successfully used for both rehabilitation of starved rescues as well as in healthy horses to help with focus and training.

Since Hearts4Horses.Com is very involved in horse rescue, we are huge fans of Thrive Feed and what it can do for starved horses. We are similarly amazed by the training results possible when using the feed. Seems the animals just pay better attention and learn quicker.

I have personally seen the results with one Arabian mare in particular that went from a body condition 1 to a body condition 5, was saddle trained and went on a 14 mile trail ride...all within 42 days. We did a thread about it on Hearts4Horses.Com. You can read it here: http://hearts4horses.net/member_foru...ead.php?t=1864.
        Would you (or anyone else that uses this) mind posting a photo of the guaranteed analysis from the Thrive feed bag?

I had first heard about it a few years ago, when I was looking for a feed for one of the horses at the rescue I volunteered at. Even before learning everything I have since then, it seemed odd that there was no ingredients mentioned at all. That has changed - alfalfa, timothy, grain sorghum, whole soy meal, rice bran and kelp are all listed on the website now.

Unfortunately, at the time, the closest dealer was 9 hours away in MO, and it would have been out of my pocket for one horse, so it wasn't viable to pursue it. With all the mentioned success with laminitic horses, I truly wish I had.

Just curious, plus enough equine nutrition classes to make me really dangerous LOL
        "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
        soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Comment

YES. I have both good and tragically bad experience with Thrive horse feed.

My 29 yr old gelding was on Thrive for two years...at first he looked great, then he got thin and listless ...then died of impaction colic within months.

I increased the amount of THrive for months, but he was not putting on weight. (and yes, teeth had been addressed recently). I was in shock when he died. I still am. THe vets could not save him: the gas displaced his dorsal colon and he died after a week at the vet in intensive care.

This may have been because I had added rice bran to the Thrive feed two weeks before he died, plus he was getting handfuls of commerical sweet feed from well-intentioned neighbors. But according to Thrive, you CANNOT mix ANYthing else with Thrive.

I learned the hard way. It's not just that "Thrive is complete and you do not need to add anything else" ...You CANNOT add anything else...and make sure NO ONE ESLE gives your horse anything else or you risk INTENSE gas and colic.

BE WARNED. BE CAREFUL.

DO NOT feed Thrive if there is any chance your horse could eat something else. The gas is so intense it will twist and displace their colon.

I miss my good boy so much. I know he could have made it to 30 and beyond if it had not been for this terrible feeding disaster.

Comment

Horseclicker, you did NOT kill your horse by adding a couple of handfuls of bran and sweetfeed to Thrive!!! I promise you, you did NOT.

I have been using Thrive as part of my mix of feeds for years. Thrive + a variety of other things. Nobody has gotten sick from it.

Your gelding was 29 years old. Maybe it was just his time. Please don't blame yourself for his death. You fed your horse the best way you knew how to.

P.S. Are you a clicker trainer?
            I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Comment

All I need to see is a claim that a horse with a body score of 1 was fed Thrive and then went on to be ridden on a 14 mile trail ride in 43 days. Even if the horse did gain some weight, for anyone to claim this is an outrage.

Additionally, why would micro milling give your feed "more surface area". What kind of cockamamie nonsense is that? I have had some very good results using a product called "C-Biscuit", which is sprouted and then dehydrated alfalfa, barley, oats and I think timothy. When I rehydrated it, it became fluffy, unlike the Dynamite feed which became sticky. The products in Thrive look good but micro milling? Increased surface area? Almost funny.
              "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

Comment

Originally posted by Calamber View Post
                All I need to see is a claim that a horse with a body score of 1 was fed Thrive and then went on to be ridden on a 14 mile trail ride in 43 days. Even if the horse did gain some weight, for anyone to claim this is an outrage.
                Agreed. The comprised nature of the internal systems of this horse make ANY kind of strenuous activity like this unwise within such a short recovery period. Severely starved horses may look "back to normal" re: physical appearance, weight gain, hair condition, but it can take up to 6-10 months for their internal systems to return to normal.

Comment

While my gelding is on Thrive and has been for over a year I do agree that their website does seem a little wacko to me as well. Like how you can free-feed it. OK? Who does that?

Having said that though, my gelding is a fat happy hog on it. Of course he is pretty much a fat happy hog on anything. But he's shiny as all get out!

Horseclicker I'm terribly sorry for your loss. It's agonizing to lose our babies since they are our best friends and members of our family.

Comment

touching on this...I have a post here about a rescue I took on, and a COTHer actually introduced me to Thrive after it. They don't carry it in GA or AL and the closest location was 4+ hours away. I took the plunge after a trainer I know in Texas (where it's big) told me she loved it. Fine...so I direct ordered a half pallet (25 bags) of it. Figured I have colts weaning as well so plenty can eat it. It's only been a week, but I'll come back with updates.

I will say the stuff looks like little freeze-dried balls of alfalfa. I kept joking that it tastes like cereal (yes, I ate it), and all my horses liked the taste, and yes- I free choiced it so far. It may be the actual bales of alfalfa he's getting in addition, but he is looking a bit better, and has much more energy in general (trotting and cantering around the paddock)- but again, not positive this is due to the feed so far....

Comment

Irish_love
                      I was wondering how you like it? I ask this realizing it has not even been a months time. I am thinking about trying this also on a bit of a hard keeping TB and on 2 other normal keepers. Reasoning that 1 type of feed for all is easier feeding instructions for the person who helps us out when we are out of town. That is if you can put and maintain weight on one with it.
                      Thanks
                      M
                      Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction

Comment

Monarch..I'm surprisingly loving it! I've become a walking endorsement for Dale (despite my crazy amounts of initial skepticism), but it's really been great. The rescue is looking a lot better even after just a month of it, and candidly, I started avoiding pics of my Irish mare alongside her colt because he literally seemed to be sucking the life out of her. It's been a month after weaning and damn if she doesn't look good! My dogs even sit patiently waiting to nibble any rogue pieces while she eats. It's expensive, yes, but I'm stocking up for the winter! Here are some pics!

The rescue (scroll to the bottom): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=790bcf3a31

My mare after weaning:
                        https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=953c4e5f11

Comment

I love it too. My horses are all doing incredible on it. Have a 28 year old TB that has been a hard keeper for years, but this last year has gone down hill so much that we were thinking this was it. We were pumping the grain and hay to her that I was convinced she would colic from all of it. She is sensitive and change is not her friend. She's been on the Thrive for almost a month and I can't believe the difference. It also has given her an appetite. At first, she wouldn't eat a lot of it, it took her about 10 days to acclimate to the food and then she was off, and gaining weight steadily. She seems stronger and you can tell she's feeling so much better. My other horses are doing well on it as well, coats are lush and soft and their attitudes seem a lot better too.

Comment

Thanks for all the updates! Please keep them coming - I appreciate the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_Love View Post
                              Monarch..I'm surprisingly loving it! I've become a walking endorsement for Dale (despite my crazy amounts of initial skepticism), but it's really been great. The rescue is looking a lot better even after just a month of it, and candidly, I started avoiding pics of my Irish mare alongside her colt because he literally seemed to be sucking the life out of her. It's been a month after weaning and damn if she doesn't look good! My dogs even sit patiently waiting to nibble any rogue pieces while she eats. It's expensive, yes, but I'm stocking up for the winter! Here are some pics!

The rescue (scroll to the bottom): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=790bcf3a31

My mare after weaning:
                              https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=953c4e5f11
                              I remember your post about the Irish horse. He's looking so much better already! Kudos to you.
                              ~Veronica
                              "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                              http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

My friend has a mare that has suffered from painful heats her whole life, they are so bad that she would throw herself against the stall walls, has even taken a door off the stall, she was on meds for years and as time went on she learned to tolerate them to a point. She comes into heat every other week, even in the winter. She also comes into heat if any changes occur at the farm. It made for a neurotic horse a lot of the times. Since she's been on Thrive (a month) she hasn't come into heat and she's the calmest horse. It's been unbelievable the change in this horse.

Comment

not one to normally bring back the dead, but i am curious about if anyone has new experiences on this feed? I cant find anything on what sort of price it would be. It was one of the options at the local feed store and i had never seen nor heard of it before.

Comment

I have a question also, for all who have given their opinions and their alternate uses for this feed rather than following its guidelines or publicly posting concerns...
                                    How does this assist with the original question without proper research?
                                    Has anyone fed this feed exclusively by the guidelines for achieving the results as guaranteed?
                                    This feed comes with a money back guarantee and the developers phone number is printed on each bag for any questions and for definitively tested & researched information.
                                    I just feel with so many varying applications stated here, without full research & actual testing (science) and without abiding directly with instructions while adding your own formula mixtures ( which manufacturer stresses not to do) based on guesswork, self-diagnosing issues or outward appearance of the horse while taking short cuts toward an improperly formulated analysis... the best way to get precise info is to call the developer of the feed directly & take into consideration the results from those who feed/fed this formula exclusively by its feeding guidelines.

Comment

Since he chooses not to spend mega bucks on advertising, but offers a money back guarantee, has his personal number printed on each bag & the hundreds of users who's horses have experienced positive changes...there's really nothing to lose.
                                      But I can't find anywhere it says only this feed will produce a healthy horse.

Comment

The developer's personal number is printed as well. Says he welcomes any and all inquiries and questions. It's worth finally knowing the precise info than comparables based on labels & putter appearance.
                                        He publicly advises blood/vet testing before and after use of the feed to compare checks and balances of the inner health beyond coat & ideal weight appearance.
                                        He's well versed at what he's dedicated his life to, if you appreciate learning, you'll not feel the time spent calling any kind of waste.

Comment

Similar products do not guarantee human grade ingredients.

Comment

Working...
                                          X