• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Old, toothless and severly underweight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old, toothless and severly underweight

I'm now in possession of a lovely... but old thoroughbred. Here's what I know. He's severly malnutritioned, underweight, spine and hips showing... missing most of his back teeth... sweet, sweet old man. 26-ish years old. Obviously not being fed properly... now on a plan to get this boy in weight before winter. I know not too feed him too much too soon.. vet will be here tomorrow to help with a feed plan... Always like the advice of COTH's as well.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

I think your best bet will be soaked alfalfa cubes. Make them into a soup. Alfalfa is what is recommended for rescue horses because it is high in protein and low in carbs. Too many carbs can lead to refeeding syndrome (nasty stuff). Plus he'll be able to slurp the cubes up and they will help him gain weight. Start slowly and up amount every five days or so. You can also switch to alfalfa/timothy cubes as time goes on and feed even more of those. And of course a good vitamin/mineral supplement mixed in.

Comment

I agree with soupy stuff. My older mare had no teeth to chew with either. I always souped up her feed. I also gave her soupy hay stretchers from Blue Seal. I found this helped with good weight right before winter months. Congrats on your new older friend :-)

Comment

We use the refeeding protocol from the U of Davis in CA.
        Here is an article on this:

http://www.completerider.com/starvedhorse.htm

Several small feedings a day seem to keep their interest in eating more.
        We used only the best alfalfa for a few days, that they seemed to eat even with quidding.
        After the horses were stable, we added wetted down senior pellets.
        Be sure the teeth that are left are floated, so there are no hooks and if they are mouth sores, rinse his mouth with a baking soda solution.

We worked under our vets directions, after he checked blood parameters, to be sure there was no other going on.

Comment

Why is keeping a horse of this age and condition "humane?"

Looks to me like a candidate for euthanasia.

G.
          Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

We have a horse that's 36. He has no back teeth. He eats soaked beet pulp and alfalfa pellets plus a senior feed. He's fat, shiney, and still has a couple of good bucks everyday. At one point he was very thin after he choked on hay due to the lack of teeth(years ago now) but we thought he deserved a chance. He's not in obvious pain and has a good quality life. Good luck with your old guy and enjoy his company.

Comment

What a lucky old guy.

What others have said - soaked cubes, several times a day, slooowly increasing the amount.

It'll be a while before you'll be able to worm and give shots, your vet is your best friend right now.

Lots of TLC. No matter how much longer he has, his last days will be so much better because you cared.
              You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Comment

As long as this old fellow is not in any pain (does not sound like he is), then why not give him a chance at a good life? Even if it's only for a short while, doesn't he deserve to have someone take care of him? There are plenty of very old horses who can't find anyone to take them in that are euthanized, so I commend the OP and I'm SO glad this guy found someone like you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post

G.
                  It doesn't sound like he is sick or dying. Old and thin doesn't mean put him down. She's not asking anyone for money, she's not a rescue supported by donations. Geez, if you were old, thin and toothless, would you want to be shot?

Comment

My toothless wonder did really well on 3-4 feedings per day of Nutrena Sernior plus alfalfa cubes and oil. Soaked.

It can be done.
                    And bless you for trying.
                    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

I also used the feeding recommendations from UC Davis - they've already done all the research! Also they have ask the Vet for help. I have a 17 year old Paso Fino mare saved from the local rescue body score of 1 - got her in April she is now a body score of 4 using their diet plan. Bringing her along nice and slowly, she had NO body fat or muscle could hardly walk and is now gaiting. She is turning into a beauty. I had in the past adopted a "25 year old" Arabian gelding that turned out to be "34" he just kept loosing his teeth from former poor nutrition and he loved his mash food; also used UC Davis diet plan. He lived to be 38. Good luck with your guy it is well worth it to see them turn around and look "beautiful inside and out again"

Comment

G.
                        Because he still has time to live! He is obviously a very special horse who is worth saving. All he needs is some sprucing up and some love and that is exactly what they are trying to do! Not everything should be a candidate for enthanasia, he still has time to enjoy!

Comment

G.
                          Good question.

Glib answer to why?
                          Because this is COTH, bragging rescue rights and all.

Serious answer, we hope the OP has enough sense to know the difference between terminally ill and a horse that can regain good quality of life and has the time, energy, money and emotional resources to help the horse and keep it going if he is not terminal.
                          She is getting the vet out tomorrow.

I hope the vet will, as you, question the quality of life the OPs horse may have, if there is more going on, like organ failure, if it is time to let him go or if trying to get him back on his feet is at all in that horse's best interest, as you are so right to ask.

How to proceed will depend on much other than his apparent age, that they may be missing by several years, since emanciated horses can look right down ancient.

We have gotten some horses out of bad places that were in questionable condition, one of them several years ago that has had an excellent quality of life since then.
                          He is still going strong in his assumed early 30's, giving little kids fun rides around the rodeo grounds, while the adults compete in team penning.
                          He would not think of being left behind when the trailer leaves in the weekends.

Good luck on your vet examination today.

Comment

I own a 33 year old horse who was given to me a year ago in a dreadful condition. On arrival I could see that he really didn't have long to live if left in that condition. I was quite prepared for there to be other reasons for him looking like a bag of bones, however on full physical/medical examination, the only thing wrong with him is that he only has 4 working teeth which were re-aligned and now work well. I fed him on high quality alfalfa hay, along with some soft, easily digestible hay. I fed small feeds numerous times a day of mushed senior feed and a balancer. It took a few months for him to regain his weight, much longer than it would have taken a younger horse to recouperate, however I plugged away at it and now he is simply stunning .

I was expecting him to be lame, arthritic and end up being a pasture ornament/put to sleep on my farm, however he is not. He is a wonderful team penning horse, LOVES going out for long trail rides, is a beautiful western pleasure horse and is just a lovely old man to have around the place.

Old horses have decades of wisdom and have so much to give that for the sake of a little helping hand to make feeds edible for them, why wouldn't you? Lack of teeth does not mean a death sentence ... at least not on my property.

This old horse is treated the same as all the others here and when the time comes for him to rest, that will be done. Now is most definitely not that time.

Comment

Originally posted by lolalola View Post
                              It doesn't sound like he is sick or dying. Old and thin doesn't mean put him down. She's not asking anyone for money, she's not a rescue supported by donations. Geez, if you were old, thin and toothless, would you want to be shot?
                              Hell, yes I would! Sounds like an awful way to live to me.
                              Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Hi, I run a rescue in Texas. We seem to specialize in this type of horse, and have a real good success rate with them. I feed a pelleted feed called US Allstock. It is a 14 percent protein with 5 percent fat. ALL our horses eat this feed, no matter the age or condition. They all do very well on it, and even the toothless ones don't need soaking. We feed alfalfa to most, especially the skinnies, and free choice round bales of bermuda. If the horse has no teeth, I will feed a few alfalfa cubes if needed, but that is rare. My personal horse died in his early 40's, and he had NO teeth. He also died from a reaction to a penecillin shot, not age.

Comment

horses when old do go down hill not all hores pass 17 make it to 20yrs let alone 26 but is the horse 26-- if no back teeth this horse in question might be a lot older than you think
                                  and if no back teeth then he can chew his food which in turn means he isnt getting enough to substain his ideal bodyweight --- which i hate to say this that probably why people got rid of him as he cant do it no more

and once one thing goes soon other things go to as the horse gets older some people do collect horses as i call it or buy them thinking they doing the horse a good turn but in truth are they

when feeding any horse that malnorished you have to get the gut moving normally this is done by feeding hay - small section first then when eating properl ab - libbing but if the horse has lamintus etc then obviously it has to be restricted feeding

once the guts moving then you can feed small meals of grian 3 or 4 times a day as in little and often as the gut is not used to having food so wouldnt want to get colic on top of everthing else

then once hes eating well then you can worm the horse

but none of this can be achieved if the horse cant chew or has no teeth

sometimes people unwittingly think they do the selflish act when in truth they just prolonging the end

so op------ ask your self one huge big question whats his quality of life now as in right now -
                                  if itd poor then sorry its perhads give hima few days of loving then pts
                                  might think i morbid sod all the time but you cant save them all but you can give them piece and freedom- freedom from no more suffering
                                  thats winner all round you know

Comment

Originally posted by goeslikestink View Post
                                    horses when old do go down hill not all hores pass 17 make it to 20yrs let alone 26 but is the horse 26-- if no back teeth this horse in question might be a lot older than you think
                                    and if no back teeth then he can chew his food which in turn means he isnt getting enough to substain his ideal bodyweight [...]
                                    but none of this can be achieved if the horse cant chew or has no teeth
                                    As I've said before, I have a 28yo stallion with no back teeth who gets along fine on a diet of shredded beet pulp, pelleted hay, and "all in one" (chopped hay with molasses). It doesn't even get soaked. He looks just fine, and has the fertility of a much younger horse. So get a grip; toothlessness is not a death sentence.
                                    Originally posted by HuntrJumpr
                                    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Comment

Check his manure for sand - it's quick, easy and you can do it yourself if the vet's already been and gone.

Comment

I just want to add, my old 33 year old weighs a constant healthy 1,110lbs now and rides out a couple of times a week for at least 2 hours at a time - hardly a horse on deaths door.

OP please do not base your decision on other people's doom and gloom who sound like they have no actual experience of dealing with this; there are many of us out there who manage these old horses quite easily and without fuss. You need to look at your horse as an individual; as anyone with any horse knowledge would know, you do that for every horse, not just old ones.

Comment

Working...
                                        X