• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Nasal discharge from one nostril

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasal discharge from one nostril

Yesterday morning our pony had a light-colored (whitish/maybe light greenish/light yellowish) discharge coming from one nostril. Otherwise seemed fine.

This morning, I could tell it was there also though not as noticeable as yesterday but I think she had just managed to wipe it off today.

I didn't notice a terrible smell but to be honest, I didn't try to smell it yesterday. Today I did wipe her nose with paper towel and tried to smell, didn't notice anything but there wasn't as much to wipe today.
    Her temp this morning was normal. Everything else seems normal with her.

We just have her and a horse at home, no other horses in the vicinity and they haven't been off the property. She's never had allergies before (but I know my seasonal allergies are bad right now and there was alot of smoke in the air yesterday, but there has been on other days recently also).

I read maybe it could be a tooth problem? In the past, she usually had a float more than once a year by a dentist, but we moved, so the most recent was last September by a vet.

Is this something to just watch for a certain amount of time, or rather, if I see any signs of it tomorrow morning, then definitely call the vet's office, but as a regular appt, not emergency?

We had a prelim horse come up with something like this. He a tooth pulled and packed as they thought it was the tooth. Didn't totally clear up... anyway ended up being bad sinus infection. Hopefully your guys doesn't have this as he eventually had to have a hole drilled into his sinus cavity, yes through the front of his head, and we had to flush fluids through it for weeks (and is smelled awful at this point). And this was a VERY social touchy horse so he was highly disappointed when no one would let him cuddle lol. They said it would probably be a continual problem for him, but he has since moved to TX and seemingly hasn't had any problems with it there.
    Custom Painted Brushes: spcustombrushes@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/SP-Cus...75042339173555

Comment

This happened to one of my mares several years ago.
      It turned out to be a guttural pouch infection, which required isolation from other horses and antibiotics. Better have the vet check it out.
      http://sporthorsesnw.com/
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sport...01526589966216

Comment

Call the vet, but not necessarily an emergency.

The one horse we had with discharge from one nostril did not have a good outcome. His turned out to be a tumor. That is unlikely to be the case here, but it is worth a call to the vet. Your vet will know how to figure out the cause of the problem.
        "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

a) could be gutteral pouch infection (had that).

b) could be an abcessed tooth (had that, too). Mare was given long treatment with metronidozol (sp) and it cleared up and has not returned - been about three years now.
          Removing a tooth is quite a job, so this was preferable for me, and she does not seem to have any problems eating, etc.
          Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

• Original Poster

Yikes, none of these sound good. Guess I was hoping it would be like my dog with the runny eye for a day or two, then it went away. We don't even have facilities to isolate her from the horse so I have no idea what we would do in that case.
            I will definitely call the vet's office in the morning. Unfortunately, we have limited relationship with the vets here since we haven't lived here that long, and have already had a bad experience with one. I don't have alot of faith that these vets are very good (they are not equine vets exclusively), but hopefully they will be able to make an accurate diagnosis. Thanks!

Comment

Could be the things mentioned above or could just be nothing/allergies. Definitely worth getting checked out to rule out the serious issues.

I have a mare that had discharge from one nostril that got to the point it included blood. Only happened the first 5 minutes of work. Had her head x-rayed and they scoped her and could not find the source. This went on for quite some time than disappeared as suddenly as it started. Recurred a couple times months later. Then wasn't a problem for a long time. Really weird.

Comment

I have a horse who does this about every other Spring. It resolves with some dietary addition. Meaning, it's never anything serious.

However, as with my usual protocol, I give things about 3 days. If things worsen in the meantime, or aren't better after that, I call the vet.

Comment

Check with your vet if it is not gone in a day or so. We have been treating one with a nasal discharge since Oct 2008. He just had surgery on Thursday to remove two teeth. They had to go in thru the sinus cavity. I am currently waiting for a call from the vet clinic that is 3 hours away to see if he can come home today. We are hoping it was the teeth but all the x-rays and scoping didn't really give a clear answer. Hopefully you have a quick and simple resolve for your pony.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, I sure hope it is easy also. This morning I could see both nostrils affected. So that is 3 days that I am aware of, though the only day it was really obvious was Saturday, so it's entirely possible there was something going on prior to Sat and DH just didn't notice since he usually puts them out. You could not miss it on Saturday. Otherwise seems perfectly healthy.

Lucked out and a vet can make it here today. I'll be meeting her for the first time. Our pony can be a bit difficult with strangers/vets and we've noticed she's done better with females, so hopefully the vet will be patient; she is not the type that does well with anything forceful. And since it's been a year on her float, she can check on that as well.

My Two Cents: Forgot to say good luck on your call today - I hope everything is clean and he can come home!
                    Last edited by Gryhnd; Sep. 14, 2009, 02:55 PM. Reason: to add sentence

Comment

Good luck with the vet and hope all goes well.

My horse had mega problems Nov 07-May 08 that started with a single sided nasal discharge. Gutteral pouches were clean, and there was sooo much mucus that x-rays were not definitive. He'd clear up on antibiotics (and we went through a lot - Metronidazole, SMZs, Baytril, Terramycin, etc.) and then symptoms would re-appear 3-5 days after discontinuing medication. We were about to bring him to New Bolton for a CT scan (3rd or 4th round of x-rays revealed some sort of mass in his sinus) but he cleared up (one last round of Baytril and a sinus flush).

He will still present with nasal discharge if he gets too cold, or hasn't worked consistently.

Comment

Gryhnd - Thanks for your thoughts. My horse did get to come home today. It's the first time since mid Oct 2008 that I didn't have to dodge snot on his nose. What he didn't wipe on his leg, he wiped on me. Guarded optimistic that we finally have this under control. Hoping the dental wax that is filling the large hole between his sinus's and his mouth holds. Sure hoping your vet appointment came with good news.

Comment

• Original Poster

That's great that your horse came home today!

Well, the vet didn't seem to think it was anything severe. Her nostrils were spotless this afternoon. We have only seen the discharge in the morning. Vet felt that it could either be allergies or just a little virus that is running around.

How would one figure out if it is a gutteral pouch infection?

I did mention the possibility of an abscessed tooth and she said that smells pretty bad, and there is no smell whatsoever, and also that would be one nostril, which this started as, but both were wet and had shavings stuck this morning.

She did float her teeth.

She said we could give her meds but I opted not to right now, and said if it does get worse, then I'd just go to their office and pick them up. She also thought that considering the worst I saw was on Saturday, and less on Sun and less on Monday (though it had moved to both nostrils Monday), she thought it could possibly be a little virus that is already on its way out.

Comment

I had one who was having occasional discharge from one side, white and no odor. Had him scoped and saw discharge below the sinus opening, but nothing above. X-rayed and saw some possible fluid in the sinus, so we did a course of Doxy. No discharge since then, he seems to feel better. There was one tooth in the middle of the upper arcade that was getting squished and the roots were starting to look questionable, something to keep an eye on. But the anitibiotic seems to have cleared up the discharge.
                            "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

Working...
                            X