• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Blankets and run ins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blankets and run ins

Ok so this is the first year my two have been in a run in year round. They seem so happy right now, but winter is quickly approching in the North East. I know many do not bed their run ins, but what about in the cold norht east? I wonder if my two boys will stay warm enough with out any bedding? I was thinking of using straw b/c I have heard it is a good insulator.... I just worry about the ground being so hard and cold.
    I am also wondering about blankets. My two have never really worn anything, but I am worried about them living outside now. What do most poeple put on and how cold does it have to be before you put on a heavy weight? My QH last year was underweight going into the winter so he did wear a medium weight most of the winter, will that make his coat grow thinner this year?

hope some of you can help me out!

I'm in PA and my TBs say out 24/7 all year round. I usually just put a sheet on them when it gets REALLY cold or if it's raining. I allow them to get their fuzzy coats and then use a good water proof sheet to break the wind and keep the cold rain off of them. They have 2 run ins and have always been fine.

Comment

I have several horses who live year round in a pasture w/ run-in. I do blanket as needed for those horses who do better with more protection (the TBs usually). Try to let the coat get establish as much as you can, and up the feed to keep weight on as fall comes along.

I put down a THICK 'hump' of wood chips near the shelter for the horses to lay down on. The heat generated from the chips decaying makes a great warm spot for them, and the slope of the pile give them something to lean against. I don't bed the shelter.

Comment

There is a thread in Off Course you may find helpful:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=223145
        Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

Most places around here don't bed the shelters. My mare lives out 24/7, and does just fine with no bedded shelter. I see them out laying in the snow more often than anything anyways.

If this is the first time the horses have lived out 24/7, you'll probably want at least a turnout sheet, midweight, and heavyweight.

I'm in IL, and my mare doesn't wear a heavyweight unless it's -20F or colder. -40F I usually double blanket, although I may not double blanket at all this year as she'll be getting free fed hay (an important thing for outdoor horses in winter).
          Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Everyone's advice has been good. I'm in upstate NY and I blanket depending on the horse. Our pony who has a very thick fuzzy coat only gets blanketed when it is about 10 degrees at night with wind. The 27 year old TB will get blanketed in the thirties (which means most of the winter).

I second the advice to let the coat come in if they are in good weight and not really old. If you start blanketing earlier the coat won't grow in as thickly and you'll be stuck blanketing all the time.

I don't bed my run-ins; I have never seen the horses lying in them no matter the season or the weather. I do see them lying down the in the field in all kinds of weather.
            https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
            Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
            www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

I'm further south, have rain sheets handy all winter and mid-weights if it goes below 30 for the old guys.

Don't blanket until you absolutely have to! Because once you do, you can't stop! You can't blanket one day and not the next, or leave the blanket on for a week (and it goes up to 50 degrees)

Worst mistake people make is to put a sheet on the horse and flatten the hair coat. That's how they stay warm - they trap air between the layers of winter hair, their body heat warms it and it helps keeps them warm.
              When you put a sheet on you flatten the hair coat and the poor horse stands and shivers. Drives me nuts - "Oh, but I have to keep Trigger clean", and there's poor Trigger, clean but freezing!

Horses survived for eons before we started messing with them. If they've got lots of hay, shelter and a good hair coat, they'll be fine.
              You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Comment

Originally posted by SMF11 View Post
                Everyone's advice has been good. I'm in upstate NY and I blanket depending on the horse. Our pony who has a very thick fuzzy coat only gets blanketed when it is about 10 degrees at night with wind. The 27 year old TB will get blanketed in the thirties (which means most of the winter).

I second the advice to let the coat come in if they are in good weight and not really old. If you start blanketing earlier the coat won't grow in as thickly and you'll be stuck blanketing all the time.

I don't bed my run-ins; I have never seen the horses lying in them no matter the season or the weather. I do see them lying down the in the field in all kinds of weather.
                You get to -40F actual temps? Good lord that is like artic circle cold!
                McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

My horses are all out 24/7 with access to a run-in. They have an "emergency" blanket that has been used only once in the past 20 years.
                  "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                  -Edward Hoagland

Comment

I'm in the northeast and I tend to blanket pretty regularly since my horse is in regular work all winter. Of course it isn't neccessary if you don't ride in the winter or just do light riding.
                    My horse is 3/4's TB and isn't a hard keeper but I think if I didn't blanket him at all he wouldn't handle the extreme cold or icy rains very well.
                    Generally I use a waterproof sheet for wet weather between 40-50 degrees. My horse likes to go out in the rain but is prone to shiver if he's out in the rain w/o a sheet.

For weather 30-40 he is in a medium weight. If there is a nasty wind or freezing rain I will use a neck cover as well.

15-30 degrees He's in a heavyweight high neck turnout or a regular heavyweight and a neck cover.

anything below 15 degrees or an extreme wind chill I usually will layer a blanket liner or stable blanket under his heavyweight and put on a neck cover as well.

Comment

I have a TB that I turned out full time starting last year. I live in NJ. When he was in the barn and in work he always ran cold and was heavily blanketed.

I was determined that I wouldn't blanket when I turned him out and let his coat grow in and "rough it". They have great run in sheds. Well the first day it was 50 and raining he shivered. So he got an amigo sheet. He stayed in the sheet until it got into the 30s. Then I bought a med. rhino wug with the high neck. That worked great! He wore that most of the winter until it got to the teens-single digits. Then he went to a heavy with the amigo sheet on top.

The run in sheds are never bedded. The horses lay down in the sun outside durring the day. Doesn't seem to bother them. They also head into the run in sheds anytime it gets really windy or nasty.

My guy got pretty fuzzy last year (for him) even with the blanketing. This will be his second winter out and I am curious to see if he gets fuzzier. I'd love it if I didn't have to do more than the sheet.

Comment

I'm in NE PA half way up a mountain. I've had my little herd using a run in and dry lot for a good long time now, and I've brought horses in who had always been stall kept and adjusted them and I've raised babies this way.

I do not bed the run in shelter. Half the time they just stand in the low area of the paddock with their butts to the wind--they use the run in more in the summer to escape bugs than they do in the winter.

I have had three Weather Wimps here. They need some version of a blanket or rain sheet when we have cold + rain. Happily eating hay and belly deep in snow with a screaming wind -10 F, but give them 45 and raining and they are shivering in their shoes. Most of my herd has never needed any blanketing. Stalls are available and I do bring them in for ice storms or blizzards. Anything else, I figure they are fine. With global climate changes I am having more freezing cold rain storms in winter than I used to, and I will bring them in over night if it is in the high 30s and raining.

I am a huge fan of throwing more hay at them when it is colder--as much as they will eat. 6 bales a day for 6 horses is not a shocking amount here in middle winter. Of course, almost none get any concentrates, either.
                        Eileen
                        http://themaresnest.us

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                          You get to -40F actual temps? Good lord that is like artic circle cold!
                          Did I say that? Even rereading I couldn't find it, but I have no confidence that I'm not missing something! No, we don't get to -40F. If it is exceptionally cold here it would be -10 F. Otherwise, from 0 F to 25F during Jan and Feb. (yuck)
                          https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
                          Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
                          www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

Originally posted by sublimequine View Post

I'm in IL, and my mare doesn't wear a heavyweight unless it's -20F or colder. -40F I usually double blanket, although I may not double blanket at all this year as she'll be getting free fed hay (an important thing for outdoor horses in winter).
                            Hey sublimequine, I'm from WI. I remember the -40 last winter. So much fun. Our horses live outside 24/7. The ones in the back have a huge run in. They are all hardy horses that don't need blankets. They have hay in front of them 24/7. The ones in the front come in when it starts getting to cold as the shelters aren't built yet. They also have hay 24/7 and have HW winter rugs, most of them with neck covers up to their ears. Personally I am a big fan of Rambos. They survive turnout with other horses and are very warm.

Comment

temps reach below -30F here.

I do bed the runin, but it doesn't matter because they prefer to sleep outside after the sun comes up during the day.

No need to blanket the pasture pets, but working horses get blanketed to keep them from becoming yaks. I let a slight coat develop and start to blanket with a medium weight in mid October. Within a few weeks the heavyweight Rambo goes on and stays on until late March or early April.

Plenty of hay and they're all fine. Worst weather for them IMO is in the fall if we get a cold nasty rain before their coats have come in. Of course they don't go in the runin to stay dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X