• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Willie (penile amputation/laminitis) post-storm update on last page!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willie (penile amputation/laminitis) post-storm update on last page!

We just brought my 19 year old Arabian home after a partial penile amputation made necessary because of SCC. We feel that he received excellent treatment, but I am just wondering if anyone has been through this before and has any words of wisdom for us. He has swelling about the size of a good-sized grapefruit. The problem seems to be that the liquids, etc want to get to the lowest place, and if he is "out" then the liquids gather there and make the swelling worse. The trailer ride of about an hour and a half did not seem to bother him. We immmediately hosed him, and I was able to get him to withdraw as much as he can. He has no fever and is not on antibiotics. We are to give him bute and a steroid to reduce the swelling, and hose him a couple times a day. The vet also thought that home surroundings and a bit of turnout will be beneficial, so we are following that. My thoughts are to hose him every couple hours, and to get him to retract as much as he can. God bless him, he is still the sweet, sane, lovable little guy that he was before enduring this ordeal. So if anyone has anything to share, jingles would also be appreciated!!, please do.
    Last edited by eventgroupie2; Jul. 6, 2012, 01:23 PM. Reason: update
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Thankfully I have never had to deal with this but anytime I have swelling pretty much anywhere I resort to cold hosing as much as possible. Jingling for a quick recovery.
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Jingles Jingles Jingles - Never have dealt with this - but as with any swelling - gravity pulls it down - cold hosing and time ---good news that there is no fever. Exercise & turn-out and time should help heal him up. Good Luck !
      Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Years ago I had a young gelding that tried to breed the wrong mare and she let him have it. His penis ended up swelling to the size of a loaf of bread. I ended up putting his private in a plastic bag and then another bag of ice over that and took some baling twine and tied it up around his waist. When the vet came he approved of my treatment and had me lube it, so the gelding could draw it back up, he was also put on bute,,his hematoma did burst, but I kept putting bag balm on it, He healed up just fine.
        Last edited by GoshenNY; Aug. 8, 2009, 12:32 AM. Reason: spelling
        [URL="http://rygarhorsetransport.com"]http://rygarhorsetransport.com[/URL

Comment

Sorry, can't help any with your question, other than standard hosing as much as possible and movement.

We have our 29 year old right now with SCC also and would like to know how your horse does, if the amputation impacts his quality of life.
          If it doesn't, we may have to go there eventually with our old horse, but won't do it if he is not going to be happy afterwards, but in pain or impaired seriously.
          May be moot question, because at his advanced age, he may have other tumors somewhere else that makes fighting this one useless eventually.

Good luck with your boy.

Comment

I would say cold hosing and movement as well. Sending jingles your way for a speedy recovery. Poor fella

Comment

poor thing! jingles!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                We have our 29 year old right now with SCC also and would like to know how your horse does, if the amputation impacts his quality of life.
                Not from SCC, but have one with an amputation and after the recovery, his quality of life is not at all in question. In regard to the swelling issues, just give it time. Turnout is your friend.
                Trinity Hill Farm

Comment

Making a sling of sorts (if your horse will tolerate it) may help reduce the swelling, and cold hosing is a good idea too. If you can get a sling outfitted, you can also put bags of ice in it -- that may help as well. Otherwise, time.

Comment

• Original Poster

Willie update

Thanks for all the good wishes and suggestions. Willie's appetite seems ok, although he is not cleaning up his hay like he usually does. I have cold hosed him three times so far today, and turned him out early this morning for a couple hours. The only small pasture we have does not get any shade during the day, so I will put him out again tonight after the sun goes down, after another hosing and his meds. The swelling does not look any better, but at least it doesn't appear to be worse than it was!! He did lie down in his stall overnight. I tried hand walking him just a few minutes ago, but the flies are awful, and I certainly don't want to use fly spray on him! So I just put him back into his stall and he is dozing in front of the fans.
                    stained glass groupie
                    www.equiglas.com

Comment

Altituderider's Cody has penile cancer but has not had to have the amputation. You might PM her for some advice as she has to apply the topical cancer treatment/salve.

Call you vet! You paid good $$$ for the operation and treatment and should get advice over the phone without charge. I'd think that Banamine might help, but I'd call my vet first to make sure that would be the drug to use. Did your horse come home with instructions for cold hosing and drug use? If not, call the vet. I call whenever I need help and do not get charged for phone calls. We pay a lot of $ to get treatments, the follow up proticol should be included in the charge.
                      Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Aug. 11, 2009, 05:41 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Original Poster

Willie just came from from the hospital yesterday. We have meds from the vet, and instructions for turn-out and cold hosing. I have been told to call my vet if anything gets worse, and it hasn't. (I just don't see much improvement yet.) The surgeon is scheduled to call us Monday morning if we haven't had to call him. He is very supportive and "there for us". I hope I didn't give the impression that we were not satisfied with the surgeon - nothing could be farther from the truth. I was just wanting to "talk" with horse friends who have gone through something similar and get their take on what they did, and what I can expect.
                        stained glass groupie
                        www.equiglas.com

Comment

Jingles continue for Willie's recovery - sounds like you are doing great !!! Keep us updated.

Comment

• Original Poster

Willie update- Sunday

Not really much to report. The penis swelling may be down a little, but now he has two new swollen areas on his belly in front of his sheath. The surgeon had told us that probably would occur, so we are not overly concerned. We have a scheduled phone conference with him in the morning, so will be sure to mention it then, just to make sure this is normal and what he expected. His temperature was normal again this morning, and he continues to eat his grain and grass with great gusto. The hay, not so much- just picks at it. He had his meds this morning, and we cold hosed him four times today so far. He had turnout for about 3 hours this morning, and we will put him back out after evening meds and another hosing when it cools down a bit and the sun goes down, so fewer bugs.
                            Thanks to all who are following his progress. Hope I have some improvement to report tomorrow!
                            stained glass groupie
                            www.equiglas.com

Comment

Willie Update ?

Any update on Willie? Sounds like the swelling is just being re-located by "Mr. Gravity". Also sounds like you have him on a great turn-out / hosing schedule for recovery. Jingles Jingles Jingles!!!
                              Last edited by Zu Zu; Aug. 10, 2009, 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Original Poster

More surgery needed - waiting for the news

We had to rush Willie back to the clinic last night. His temp went up to 101 and he was having trouble urinating. I called my local vet (also a member of the surgical practice) and she got here about 9:00- recommended taking him back to the clinic as she could not pass a catheter to revieve pressure on his extended bladder. We were afraid the bladder would rupture on the hour and a half trip, but it didn't. Evidently, all the swelling was caused by enormous blood seepage that formed clots and cut off his uretha, evidently some of the sutures had pulled through. Once the bleeding stopped, and he was stable, we came home about 3am. The vet just called and they operated on hiim again this morning for four hours, but we are far from out of the woods. The skin just doesn''t seem to be able to hold the sutures, and he can't stand another round of blood loss. He is back in his stall, but the prognosis is very guarded at best. So if ever there was a time for COTH jingles, this is it for us. We will appreciate each and every one of them in hopes of getting my beloved Willie back home with me.
                                stained glass groupie
                                www.equiglas.com

Comment

MEGA JINGLES for Willie. Praying for his safe recovery.

Comment

oh CRAP, I am sooo sorry! Please keep us updated.

My boy has SCC in the penis as well, luckily it wasn't bad enough to do the surgery and we treat it with chemo cream. However, I did get a fair amount of positive feedback when I was researching this so I hope things turn around quickly.

That all sounds very scary...jingling and sending ((hugs))!
                                    Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
                                    Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
                                    I miss you both very much!

Comment

Poor guy! Big jingles!

Comment

Oh dear... we are jingling like mad for him.
                                        "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                        ---
                                        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                        X