Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

UMS_01

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Horse falling/going in circles. UPDATE last page. Jingles!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As so often happens, I do agree with Thomas. I had one who I put down last fall, great old broodmare, with Cushings to some degree for the last few years of her life. She was hard to keep weight on, had skin infections and other infections, constantly had bad reactions to penicillin injected, and when it became apparent that she also was having some vision problems, stumbling when there was nothing to actually stumble on, time to say goodbye. She was not suffering, and looked good, but I would rather do it sooner than later, or too late. I would not let it get to the stage of seizures, falling down etc, why do that to a horse you like? Hard to make decisions, harsh for those who love horses and care for them well, but has to be faced.
    www.cordovafarm.weebly.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
      I'm of the view that when the horse has symptoms as described here that its time to say goodbye.
      That was my first thought at the time of the first seizure, but pergolide does seem be comtrolling the symptoms. Granted, Cushings is a progressive condition and he will eventually get worse, maybe to the point that the medication is no longer effective, but we have no way of knowing how fast that progression may occur. Months? Years? Seems to be different for each horse.

As long as he's feeling good and bucking around the paddock with his young companion, we'll let him enjoy retirement.
      Traveller's Rest Equine Elders Sanctuary
      TREES on Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
        The case I had was pretty dramatic--mare went completely blind acutely.
        That answers another question......is it a slow, progressive vision loss or a sudden occurrence.
        TREES on Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by NancyM View Post
          As so often happens, I do agree with Thomas. I had one who I put down last fall, great old broodmare, with Cushings to some degree for the last few years of her life. She was hard to keep weight on, had skin infections and other infections, constantly had bad reactions to penicillin injected, and when it became apparent that she also was having some vision problems, stumbling when there was nothing to actually stumble on, time to say goodbye. She was not suffering, and looked good, but I would rather do it sooner than later, or too late. I would not let it get to the stage of seizures, falling down etc, why do that to a horse you like? Hard to make decisions, harsh for those who love horses and care for them well, but has to be faced.

I can't speak for Fargo but, in our case, its not that clear-cut. The last seizure (of only two that we know of) was in March (the first was six months prior to that) and no more falling since we adjusted the pergolide dose. As far as other symptoms go, no laminitis since March, he's at good weight, nice coat, no opportunistic infections, no vision loss. This horse has a tremendous attitude, bright, alert, plays with 4-year-old mare almost daily........

One thing I'll say for Cushings.......there are no "always" or "nevers." Each horse is an unique study.
          TREES on Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

While I can understand your responses I do think that this horse deserves the chance to get on pergolide. He is a very strong horse and always has been, has a lot of persona and character. He has at this point non of the other problems described here, his legs have no scratches at all (while throughout his life he has had problems with one of his legs because it wasn't treated properly before he was owned by my boyfriend). He has no stable legs or infections at this time, he is not sweating like he did in the summer since he was shaved. His sight is good according to the 2 vets who checked him out. He hasn't had laminitis once as far as we know off. His weight and muscles are still very good especially for an older horse, if anything he is a bit too heavy right now, which is dangerous and that is one more reason to have him on the proper diet. He doesn't just stumble, he can see, at this point any panic attacks (possibly resulting in a seizure) are mostly noise induced. He is not yet a thin, laminitis blind horse. Yes he has longer hair, sometimes teary eyes, but he eats well and moves well and we want to give him the chance to be on the proper medicine. I will try to place some recent pictures of him on my site..
            http://pets.webshots.com/album/183022126XNvgbo?start=12
            Link to recent pics of Willy
            Last edited by fargo; Jan. 2, 2007, 11:43 AM.
            Offspring of Ramiro Z clique,member TrakehNERD Clique Very proud and honored to be the human of Fargo (RIP) and Whizzard. Whizz what a true friend you are.

Comment

• I hope the medication works for your horse. He sounds like he deserves a chance, and I give you credit for giving him one. Best wishes to you and him in the new year!
              She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Comment

• Fargo, good luck with the pergolide! You know my Bodie looks cushingnoid. I have repeatedly had him tested and every time he come up negative. Different types of tests at different labs at different times of year, all the same! I have to clip him 3 times a year, at least. His diet is low in sugar etc and so far there are no other symptoms, besides being very cranky under saddle and towards other horses. Not sure if these are related.

One vet my vet consulted said the only thing we could do was put him on pergolide but i have yet to take that step. I guess i will have him tested again this year and see what else the clinic has to say!

I will jingle for Willy! He is very cute and sort of a chestnut version of Bodie! When I looked at the sort of wavy hair it definitely looked like Big Bodie!
                Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

Comment

• Fargo, you probably already know this, but the relief you (your horse) will get from pergolide will be a matter of degree rather than totally getting rid of the symptoms. My old girl just has more energy, for example. She's still wooly, still has goopy eyes, but she has a good appetite and keeps her weight. I order my pergolide from a compounding lab. At her dosage (1mg) daily, it's about $30 for a month.) Just btw, she was on chastetree berries for several years, and has been on pergolide for two or three years. Unless they founder, they usually die from something other than cushing's at a very advanced age. Good luck to him and you.

Gunnar, you could try the chastetree berries for Bodie. They seem to work better on keeping the coat less yak like than does pergolide, and also helped her in the girthiness department. (About $20 for a month, from www.herbalcom.com)
                  Last edited by I'm EBO; Jan. 2, 2007, 06:02 PM. Reason: more information
                  Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

Comment

• Originally posted by I'm EBO View Post
                    You probably already know this, but the relief you (your horse) will get from pergolide will be a matter of degree rather than totally getting rid of the symptoms. My old girl just has more energy, for example. She's still wooly, still has goopy eyes, but she has a good appetite and keeps her weight. I order my pergolide from a compounding lab. At her dosage (1mg) daily, it's about $30 for a month.)

Gunnar, you could try the chastetree berries for Bodie. They seem to work better on keeping the coat less yak like and also helped her in the girthiness department. (About $20 for a month, from www.herbalcom.com)
                    Hey EBO, I have tried the Chasteberry! Remember you sent me some! But alas Mr. Picky will not eat it so I gave up. I try to get some flax into him but he does not even like that so it is a struggle. Now if I could give him lots of molasses type feed he might eat it. for now I just hope for the best and treat him accordingly!! Bodie is not fat and in fact looks like a slim teenager now that he is back in work. He just has more angles (bonier??) than he used to!!

How is Robert??
                    Steph

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

Comment

• NOW I remember! That's been awhile. You could mix it with rice bran, I guess. Amber (my mare) wasn't wild about the CB, either

Anyhow, the pergolide comes in fruit flavors, which my horse looooves. She'd slurp it right out of my hand--but the effect of it on her coat is minimal if anything.

Robert's cute. Still sound, still wearing his grazing muzzle and eating the alfalfa and Bermuda and rice bran and beet pulp. In mass quantities.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys he is a marvelous boy. On the chaste berry powder (we have the powder variant) It seems that the amount given by the various posters differs. What amount did or do you give your horses? Willy will eat it, not in big amounts but the full spoon (that is supplied with the package) gets eaten.
                        And yes EBO I realise it will hopefully improve his symptoms and situation, there is no cure. But until recently he has always been very playful and strong so he deserves to try and recover some of that. We monitor him very closely and wouldn't "just" keep him around and keep him hanging on. We believe he's still in there and needs help to cope.
                        Offspring of Ramiro Z clique,member TrakehNERD Clique Very proud and honored to be the human of Fargo (RIP) and Whizzard. Whizz what a true friend you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by I'm EBO View Post
                          NOW I remember! That's been awhile. You could mix it with rice bran, I guess. Amber (my mare) wasn't wild about the CB, either

Anyhow, the pergolide comes in fruit flavors, which my horse looooves. She'd slurp it right out of my hand--but the effect of it on her coat is minimal if anything.

Robert's cute. Still sound, still wearing his grazing muzzle and eating the alfalfa and Bermuda and rice bran and beet pulp. In mass quantities.
                          Ebo, I glad to hear Robert is doing well! Bodie is a long ways from me and I cannot feed him myself. He does not like Rice Bran either. I give him about 2 cups of Ultium to put his supplements in and he eats everything except any ground flax products! Thanks for the advice!
                          Steph

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

Comment

• Fargo, I copied this excerpt from the Files section of the Equine Cushing's Yahoo group. I believe that Dr. Kellon is the author of this particular bit.

I've underlinedthe suggested dosage amount. The volume measurement of 4TBS is equal to 2 liquid oz., but, as I recall (pretty iffy), the dry weight is a little different. Your kitchen scale should be good enough if you decide to try this.

When I was using the chasteberries, it was recommended that we buy the whole berries, then grind them ourselves in a coffee grinder. The rationale was that the powder made fresh would be more potent. Upon occasion, I just threw them in whole, and no little Chasteberry Trees ever sprouted.

Chasteberry (Vitex agnus-castus) has a pharmacological activity in
                            the brain that is very similar to pergolide (see below) and identical
                            to another drug in the dopamine agonist category, cabergoline. They
                            bind to dopamine receptors in the brain. Low dopamine levels are
                            characteristic of pituitary tumors.

Chasteberry is an "herbal" approach, subject to the same variations
                            in potency of the berries as with any natural product. If using the
                            whole berries, list members have reported favorable results feeding 2
                            oz/day of the freshly ground whole berries to an average sized adult
                            horse (say 1000 to 1100 lbs
                            ). There are also liquid extracts
                            available, both with the brand name Hormonise but from different
                            manufacturers in England. The amount of Chasteberry used to make
                            these products is proprietary (manufacturer "secret"). We don't know
                            if they are equivalent or not. The formulation I am familiar with is
                            supplied by EquiNatural in Texas. Dose for that is 10 cc/200 lbs.
                            The other one is supplied by Emerald Valley Botanicals.

We do not have as much experience with Chasteberry as with the
                            prescription drug options. Some horses respond to the dosages listed
                            above, some may not. At this point, best advice seems to be that if
                            you have a very advanced case, or a horse that is already in trouble
                            with laminitis, the prescription drug pergolide is your most reliable
                            treatment option.

The prescription drug options generally used are either
                            cyproheptadine or pergolide. Cyproheptadine works differently in the
                            brain. Instead of actually enhancing dopamine effects, it helps
                            block the competing hormone, serotonin. Cyproheptadine works for
                            some horses, some not and some may get an initial response but then
                            relapse. Pergolide, as mentioned, is the most reliable treatment in
                            terms of reducing abnormal ACTH levels but also has the highest risk
                            of side effects. Side effects could probably be minimized greatly if
                            the horses that have trouble with them are started on low doses and
                            gradually worked up.

Comment

• Original Poster

Sorry I'm blond and dutch so what does 4 TBS mean?
                              Is it correct that 1 oz is 28,4 gram? So 2 oz is about 60 gram? Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Hi Fargo -

TBS = Table Spoon
                                tsp = Tea Spoon

Groetjes!
                                Siegi
                                Siegi Belz
                                www.stalleuropa.com
                                2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
                                Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Comment

• well if a dog was doing this we would immediately suspect epilepsy, it sounds like that and i dont know if horses get that

Comment

• Original Poster

vanheimrhorses: Yes they are seizures and the vet and we think that they are related to the fact that he has cushings.
                                    More horse owners and vets have seen things like these with their horses who had or have cushings.
                                    Willy has been great this whole week, until his lymphangitis flamed up yesterday and a vet had to come. He panicked and had a short seizures during which he sort of sat down in his box. The rest of the week his attitude and panic has been under control. Yesterday evening I'm glad to say he was more up again and more like himself like he had been the rest of the week.
                                    I'm still looking into magnesium that is easily fed like in quiessence but this seems to be NOT available in Europe. Bugger, bugger, bugger. Just our luck..
                                    My boyfriend is turned around, he now reads all articles and strongly believes in, and sees the cushing symptoms. And we are going to treat them as best as we can with our vets (and your help). I'm so glad there is so much on COTH and on the rest of the internet on cushings, the use and importance of pergolide, chasteberry and magnesium. But Europa and it's vets still have a long way to go I'm afraid..

Comment

Working...
                                    X